Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why do people hate Nickelback?

CosmicHooves

Because they're basically a business decision. Almost their songs follow a specific marketing formula. This video should offer a better explanation:

This is the correct answer. Nickelback is the "face" of your typical sellout band. The issue is that a lot of mainstream rock bands and pop stars fall under this category. If you like bands such as Linkin Park or Three Days Grace, you like sellout bands. Personally, I don't listen to Nickelback, but I don't dislike them. Hell, I kind of respect them for this awesome cover of Sharp Dressed Man they did back in 2007

This is the correct answer. Nickelback is the "face" of your typical sellout band. The issue is that a lot of mainstream rock bands and pop stars fall under this category. If you like bands such as Linkin Park or Three Days Grace, you like sellout bands. Personally, I don't listen to Nickelback, but I don't dislike them. Hell, I kind of respect them for this awesome cover of Sharp Dressed Man they did back in 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh9Q6BGGU50

They're good when it comes to Instruments.

(edited)

Because they suck. No one likes Nickelback (more like nicklecrap amirite) and if you do, you have a bad taste in music... /sarcasm

In all seriousness though, the reason they're hated by a lot of people is because they are a very accessible band. They're often referred to as "sellouts", but this is not true; I'm certain that their goal from the beginning was to be commercially-accessible to a wide audience.

I'm not a fan to be honest, but I do like the song Leader of Men. Plus, they've done a cover of Sad but True by Metallica, which is pretty awesome:

Edited by Blackened
  • Brohoof 1

Because the haters never made it as a wise man. And they couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing.

LOL  :lol: 

---

The answer is:

Internet culture spreading memes like wildfire.  It's the same reason some people can't take Nicolas Cage seriously as an actor, when truthfully, he's really not a bad actor.

Nickelback has been essentially named "the most stereotypical rock band of the 2000s" - which, isn't a bad thing.

The fact of the matter is, Nickelback is just one of many rock bands, and the creator of the He-Man Nickelback Haters Club (Yes, that is a Little Rascals reference) so happened to choose Nickelback.  But think about this:  It could have been any band.  It could have been Green Day, or Three Doors Down, or Hoobastank.  But, it wasn't.  It was Nickelback who was chosen to hate against, and the meme turned people against a band they previously may have had either no opinion on, or maybe even liked.  

My question is...

Are we having fun yet?  :icwudt: 

~ Miles

P.S.  I actually do like that song, and a few others, but I wouldn't buy an album from them.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

A long time ago, at the turn of the century, they were played over and over again in every shopping mall, elevator and radio you passed by and there were no smart phones nor ipods to drown them out. Those were the dark times. The time of Nickelback.

In all seriousness, I think it's because they were overplayed due to being in the Spider-Man movie and people jumped on the hate bandwagon. I never minded them personally, and considering how popular they really were, I think it's more paper tiger hate than anything else.

From what I heard people say, it's because all of their more recent songs have basically the same overused beat/lyrics/meaning to them, and that their songs played everywhere a few years ago and everyone got tired of it. Other than that, I don't really know.

I personally don't hate them at all. Granted, I rarely ever listen them, but they're alright. In fact, I think Chad Kroeger has an AMAZING singing voice~

I don't really hate them, and from seeing this thread, nopony else really seems to "hate" them either.... So either us bronies really DO love everything way more than everyone else, or people just tend to hate whatever the internet tells them to without questioning it.... I'm going with the latter -_-

• Brohoof 2

As a fan of Nickleback (please don't hate me), I think the reason why they're hated is maybe because the voice of Chad Kroger, the band's lead singer sounds too raspy loud, making all their songs sound almost the same. That's just my opinion. That's what I heard from some haters. I don't know the true reason why Nickleback is despised by a lot of hardcore rock fans.

• Brohoof 1

As a fan of Nickleback (please don't hate me), I think the reason why they're hated is maybe because the voice of Chad Kroger, the band's lead singer sounds too raspy loud, making all their songs sound almost the same. That's just my opinion. That's what I heard from some haters. I don't know the true reason why Nickleback is despised by a lot of hardcore rock fans.

That's the main reason I don't like the band. Kroeger's singing voice is over-the-top raspy. I find it annoying. It's also not the way he talks, so that makes it seem even more fake.

• Brohoof 1

From what I can tell from a music perspective, a lot of their music sounds very similar to the point where if you listened to multiple songs from them in a row without the lyrics they'd all sound very similar. Even lyrically wise they don't have much of a variation in subject matter.

I don't hate them, I'm indifferent to them if anything. I don't know who they are personally, nor do I really care to investigate them further as people. They are just a band the internet hates excessively because it's the cool thing to hate and it's easy to get caught up in a cycle of disdain.

I have a rather eclectic taste in music so I'm one of those people who when you ask "What's your favorite type of music." I respond with "All. All music." Not a big person who believes in labeling music as "Sellout" I may label things more 'Mainstream" since it may be more well known but that certainly doesn't affect my views of it or its listener. I'm listening to a lot of Janis Joplin at the moment, but sometimes I might round off my listening experience with a track from Neutral Milk Hotel or listening to a George Gershwin Piece. 

Edited by Seraph
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually like Nickelback. I guess I'm one of the few, but I honestly don't get why they get so much hate. The worst allegations against them in this thread seems to be that they're mediocre, but mediocrity is hardly grounds for the amount of hate they get. If anything, the epitome of mediocrity for me would be One Direction, and I don't hate them either. I just consider them entirely forgettable.

I've also heard that Nickelback are sellouts...but honestly, why does that matter? Most bands these days are sellouts in one way or another, simply because money has quite a lot of influence in our world. I mean, we are all watching a show about multi-colored ponies specifically designed to sell toys. How is that not selling out?

Oh well. I'll just continue on liking their music. They're still in business so I guess selling out did work for them.

• Brohoof 1

It's laughable that they're considered "alternative" metal, they're hardly alternative. They're just a "singles" band and aim at airplay even if they're music is incredibly boring.

Probably because many people think that all the fame they receive, should go to a more creative, original, skilled & talented band. When virtuoso players w/ thought provoking lyrics are still playing in bars and generic, repetitive pop rock acts are awarded w/ arena tours, people get pissed. 

They're the John Cena of rock. Bland, stale, repetitive, shoved down our throats, billed over more talented acts and beloved by millions of prepubescent boys, teenage girls and their mothers.

And considering Nickleback has loaned the WWE their music on a number of occasions, even played live at a show, the comparison is an apt one. 

Edited by Denim&Venom

I'm not sure. It just seems popular these days to fixate on something mainstream and speak out against it. It's just like people hating on Justin Bieber or Tim Tebow a few years back.

Maybe it's because Nickelback has had so much commercial success despite sounding just like a thousand other generic rock (NOT METAL) bands in America today. At least that's my take on it.