Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What words or phrases do you find antagonistic, unpleasant, or dumb?

GuillermoGage

Two words that I dislike:

quad-bike"bike" is short for "bicycle", as in "bi - cycle", as in "two wheels". If it's not got two wheels, then it's not a bike. It's a quad-cycle.

beefburger: you know... that famous food which is named after the city of Beefburg. It's a bit like a hamburger, which is named after the city of Hamburg. The only difference is that beefburgers are made from beef. Oh right, hamburgers are already made from beef. So there is no difference. Call it by the correct word; it's a hamburger.

I don't have any problem with other -burger portmanteau words such as "vegeburger" or "chilliburger". These are legitimately adding extra information to the description of the foodstuff. "It's like a hamburger, but vegetarian" or "it's like a hamburger, but it has chilli in it". But "beefburger" doesn't add any information.

Well, OK, it gives me some information - that the person I'm talking too is too stupid to realise that hamburgers are not made from ham.

"Friendzone" is a big one of mine, just makes it sound like it was the girl's/guy's fault for not reciprocating the feelings, and that there's a way out of it. Honestly, if a person thinks of you as a friend, don't turn it into something bad, move on.

• Brohoof 3

I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE! When people talk about something they really don't like or dispise and say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". Arghhh!

• Brohoof 1

Ooh, the idea of "science vs. religion," as if the two were mutually exclusive and all religious people were Neanderthals.

"I was born this way," in reference to pretty much anything but race, sex, or certain physical features. Your genetics don't decide your behavior or lifestyle, you do.

Referring to contraceptives and abortion as "women's health." It makes it sound like pregnancy and children are a disease, and it sends the message that anyone pro-life wants women to be unhealthy.

For that matter, even "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are rather antagonizing. "Pro-life" makes it sound like anyone who supports abortion wants to kill people, while "pro-choice" makes it sound like anyone who opposes abortion wants to take people's free will.

"I was born this way," in reference to pretty much anything but race, sex, or certain physical features. Your genetics don't decide your behavior or lifestyle, you do.

The jury is very much out on that matter. Nobody has yet found a proven genetic cause for any personality traits. But we are at such an early stage in understanding genetics, that it's premature to conclude that there are no genes which affect personality at all. It is likely that the true answer is somewhere in between. Genetics is likely to influence, say, brain size. Though so will nutrition in your early years. And brain size is likely to have some bearing on intelligence, though not nearly as much as study does.

Ultimately though, even if genetics barely influence your behaviour and personality, that doesn't mean you get to decide it all for yourself. Your upbringing is unarguably a key factor in determining what sort of person you will become. And you don't get to decide who your parents are.

Basically, any homophobic slurs or the word "gay" as an insult. It really gets under my skin. Also, the word "[racism 1]" (I hope I can say that in this context) used as a racial slur, or any racial slur in general. They make one sound ignorant. Actually, Wanda Sykes was in a great PSA about the word gay.

Well, I'm not "offended" by these words more so than I just find them to be rather silly.

I think that the word friendzone is stupid beyond belief. As somebody who doesn't want a boyfriend, I always feel really peeved that people use that word as if friendship is childish and that I must need a boyfriend... when I work better when I'm alone. If somebody thinks of you as a friend, that's fine, just don't demonise it.

I also find "get a life" to be rather silly. It may be mildly rude to others, but I just find it to be degrading, and somewhat sad.

• Brohoof 1

Whenever someone says "omg i'm so done" For instance on a tumblr post "omg i'm so done" whenever one sees something funny. this may be an unpopular opinion but the phrase has been driven so hard into the ground in the past couple of years that whenever I hear it or see it I grind my teeth  >_>

"Irrelevant"; I met someone who developed a fetish for abusing that word in attempts to invalidate any argument you had, regardless of how relevant your point really is. It came to the point were my eyes would basically have orgasms from the sheer amount of rage I endured from his complete ignorance abusing the word.

Edited by Windseeker

Mary Sue, this word makes me angry then depressed, it seems like anyone would use that to label characters they don't like, or characters that don't do what they want. Alicorn OCs, Twilight Sparkle and any other princess gets called this often, I think people can be desensitise to characters with a multi dimensional personality, from the show, that anyone can do the same, so if you can not develop your OC to the show's standards, it is too perfect, thus is a Mary Sue. Some of us are good at literature, others are not, sometimes we are too busy to write more about our characters, as for the main pony characters, the writers work hard to develop the ponies, there will be mistakes and inconstancies, but if the mechanics of the story are all we are looking at, then Mary Sue is a word that has lost it meaning and power.  

• 1 month later...

I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE! When people talk about something they really don't like or dispise and say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". Arghhh!

I never understood that either.

"people of color"

Used by too many Marxists

"women of color"

see above

"reverse racism"

see above

"misogyny"

thrown around too much, and many times for very stupid reasons

"white genocide"

white supremacists are annoying little whineys

"diversity"

nobody wants this for non-Western countries

"tolerance"

usually used as an emotional appeal

"equality"

unobtainable goal

"bigot/bigotry"

useless buzzword that gets thrown around waaay too much

Basically any of the neo-Marxist Newspeak the progressivist elite seem so intent on spreading. 

I dislike the use of the words "pragmatic" and "realistic" when used in the context that I typically encounter them, their actual meaning is closer to "unscrupulous" and "dark."

For instance, a protagonist throwing an innocent to the zombies to slow them down while the protagonist escapes with supplies they need for their group. He later explains that he's being "pragmatic." Audience members argue that's what people would do "realistically."

Wrong on both accounts! What that protagonist did was ruthless and evil and whatever "reality" those audiences purport to be from evidently is not the same as the one I occupy!

"Pragmatic" is a word used when people are lazy and don't want to try the honorable way because it's too hard for them!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

On a more socially relevant charge. One phrase that never fails to piss me off is "spiritual but not religious." It undercuts a complete misunderstanding of what religion actually is and that the person is less open minded and far more judgmental than they are trying to pass themselves off as being. (Most of the time, there are exceptions to every rule. Then again though, those with a more complete understanding of spirituality would call themselves either agnostic or "undecided.")

(edited)

"Works good on paper, but terrible in practice."

Or some other variation of that phrase. I just don't like it because it sounds stupid and is used way too much to pathetically argue that something is "good on paper, but terrible in practice." That doesn't even make sense. If it doesn't work in practice, then how can it work on paper?

Edited by Colour
  • Brohoof 2

I honestly can't stand the term "faggot" or any variation of it. It makes me so damn uncomfortable and if you say it in front of me, especially without me saying it's okay to, that friendship is over.

Also any word like "whore" or "slut", it makes you sound obnoxious and someone stuck in the "friendzone".

Also "friendzone" because it doesn't exist lol.

Racist, sexist, bigotry, inequality, greed

I don't like these words because they are used quite a lot to try and "shut down" someone's argument without actually using evidence or logic.

• Brohoof 1