Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe that you are of above average intelligence?

PSP (Dizzy)

Nope. 

I'm average.

Plain average.

I get one A each report.

Along with a handful of B's and C's

And the occasional annoying D that I get for procrastinating.

• Brohoof 1

I think I am above average. I scored 137 on the IQ test I took, though I have doubts as to the accuracy of these.

I would say its the fact that I am a curious person, and I spend a substantial amount of my time reading and thinking about things that makes me above average.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say that when it comes to "book smarts" I'm well above average.

But with anything else I'm either average or below average.

I have bad problems with memorizing directions and very poor spacial judgement, which is why I don't have a drivers license or my own car. I also have very bad dyscalculia, I have a very hard time trying to add numbers in my head. I'm also fairly lazy at times and get frustrated easily and lack quite a few skills as a result of my disability. (Asperger's) It makes learning how to do normal things that most everybody else know how to do, difficult. For example, I didn't finally learn how to tie my shoes until I was 12 when most other kids had already learned how to years ago. I found out later on that this is a symptom of that disability.

Ultimately, I think the average person considers themselves above average. Regardless... Intelligence isn't always about proficiency, is it? Intelligence has already been broken up to different kinds of intellect, but still, it seems possible to extend it even further--people have things they're good at, and things they're not. They have things they work for, and things they aren't interested in honing.

If you take an average of intelligence, you might as well take an average of skill. Some people may be more skilled then others, and while that sounds good, you basically just ripped apart a complex system of checks, balances, and other crud and turned it into a simplified point/percentile system.

It... doesn't work that way, does it?

I personally don't think it does.

EDIT: Also, my respect goes out to the people who know they're intelligent and gifted, yet don't stick to the idea they are therefore above average--we are a brilliant species, after all.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 3

If I can base it off comparing myself to most of the people who were in my year at school, then yes I would. I at least seemed to value intelligent thought a lot more then the brutish ogres and party loving, trend following sheep that comprised a fair majority of my school year. Outside of that, I dunno. I'm a deep thinker and I have many interests that would usually be seen as something of a higher intelligence, but I still suck at stuff like maths.  :blush:

This is me.

Everyone else seems to be stupid, to some degree.

That's a tough question... while I would consider myself above average in terms of intelligence, I would say I am below average when it comes to being smart. I'm what you would probably call an intelligent idiot.

The reason why I think that way is because my mindset seems pretty advanced while my memory is very very horrible making it near impossible for me to remember important stuff the way I should be.

Uhh, no. I don't even think I'm average... Last time I took an online IQ test, I got a 106. Judging by others here, I'm kinda on dumb side...

I was always a little above average when it came to reading, but wow, I sucked at just about everything else!

Not really, though I do think my current intelligence varies depending on my skill level. It's said to be under about 80, which is considered borderline intellectual functioning. However, as I said before, it depends on my skills and what not because I can do certain things that seem to be above my average intelligence quotient.

• 4 weeks later...

If I can base it off comparing myself to most of the people who were in my year at school, then yes I would. I at least seemed to value intelligent thought a lot more then the brutish ogres and party loving, trend following sheep that comprised a fair majority of my school year. Outside of that, I dunno. I'm a deep thinker and I have many interests that would usually be seen as something of a higher intelligence, but I still suck at stuff like maths.  :blush:

This is pretty much my situation as well. I pick things up quickly and I have a lot of interest in subjects that are usually associated with higher intelligence, like theoretical physics. Sadly, I'm too stupid to understand these things. I'm intelligent enough to find it wildly interesting, but not enough to grasp the mathematical concepts behind it all. I am trying to brush up on maths these days though, because I readily acknowledge its uses.

Yes.  I know because they tested my IQ when I was depressed.  I don't put too much stock in IQ but putting that together with my life experience I'm certain I'm above average.  Granted I'm not the smartest person in the world, but smarter than a lot of people. Do I sound a little smug?  -_- I hope not.  It's not like I think I know everything.

I like to believe so, because I'm a loner and I've had plenty of time to think and explore things on my own. I feel if I were the opposite I would be bound by norms and unable to break standards or else be called "weird". I don't measure intelligence by grades or maturity by age, change is ever-flowing, change never stops changing. Imagination and persistence are the key in learning. Never stop learning, never give up no matter how difficult it may seem. 

Yes. I am an intellectual. Learning excites me. I am the guy in forensics who is only satisfied when presented with hard, concrete, tangible evidence. So naturally I have always questioned that which I want to know more about, how it works, when it was made, how, why, etc. 

I retain information very well. Which is why it has been easy for me to learn quickly and efficiently.

I say I am above average because I know that I am not average. Unless the average American guy reads physics books for leisure and I am unaware of it!  :dash: