Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Wearable Technology/Smartwatches

Stalliongrad

2014 was a big year for the new technology bracket known as "wearables". Wearables are essentially computers that can be.. worn. This bracket is further broken down into two separate categories, Fitness Trackers and Smartwatches.

Fitness Trackers are as their name implies centered around fitness tracking. These are bracelets and toned down smartwatches that are capable of keeping record of your fitness routine. Timing your jog, counting your steps, measuring your heart rate and telling you how many calories you've burned.

Facebook_Launch_WallPost.jpg

The Fitbit is perhaps the best known of the Fitness Trackers

Smartwatches are watches with limited added functionality we've come to expect from our smartphone. In essence, Smartwatches are "extensions" of your smartphone, they are still what most tech guru's consider "1.0" products. And as such most people who buy them are self-proclaimed "guinea pigs" testing out something that has a use but isn't as refined as it will one day be. Smartwatches as they stand can do many different things but what specifically upon the manufacturer and the manufacurers choice of operating system for the watch. Currently the best OS for a smartwatch has been Android Wear. Android Wear is powered by Google Now software, same voice commands you can give to your phone, you can give to your watch provided the manufacturer includes a microphone. Some smartwatches have their own sim card's and 3G radios which enable them to make phone calls and send text messages independent of the phone. For the most part because Smartwatches are extensions of your smartphone, most are tethered to your phone via bluetooth. 

Because watches are subjective to a buyers individual style tastes. Some smartwatches look like something out of Star Trek while others are very reserved and you wouldn't know they are smart watches until getting close to them. Some smartwatches feature a square face while others have round faces. Some watch bands are more like bangle/bracelets while others have traditional watch bands both metal and leather.

moto-360.jpg

The Motorola Moto 360 has been called one of the best watches with a round display.

Samsung-Gear-S-%E2%80%93-Official-Introd

The Samsung Gear S runs Samsung's own OS called Tizen and has a 3G Radio and a Sim card slot. This allows you to make phone calls, send texts and emails from your watch while you are away from your phone.

It was widely assumed that Apple would be the first to mass market wearables with the "Iwatch". Apple did unveil its smartwatch called the Apple Watch which goes on sale this summer. It is widely assumed that after the release of the Apple Watch the wearable market will become more mainstream than it is now.

Apple-Watch-logo-main1.png

The Apple Watch uses a modified version of iOS for its watches. Apple's design is ...as usual different from what is currently on the market. The Apple Watch will come in two sizes (as is the current trend with Iphone) for people who may prefer a larger or smaller watch face. Apple Watch also features an interesting design to quickly change and swap out watch bands, which Apple says will range from Rubber, Leather and Metal. There is even a version that is made of 14k gold.

What do you think about wearables? You think they will catch on? Are they a fad? Will you buy one? 

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I can't justify spending money to have 2 devices on my person that do exactly the same thing when I could just simply download an app that would probably cost no more than $3.

But, since Apple are going to get into this market, EVERYONE is going to "need" one because there are idiots people who buy Apple's crap because they think it's "trendy" and "cool". I can't completely say Apple is BS, they did make the smartphone and the tablet mainstream things, but having a watch that connects to your phone (and does the exact same things) that can cost up to over $500 just seems ridiculous.

Edited by HayaBROsa
  • Brohoof 2

It's interesting but these watches can cost as much as a good phone. One of these watches cost twice as much as my phone. It can't hurt that much to take your phone out of your pocket.

Edited by Synyster
  • Brohoof 2

Really don't see the point. If you're incapable of checking your pulse/heart rate, the tech is probably beyond you anyway.

Cal trackers are also worthless gimmicks. Your physiology is unique, algorithms don't account for that.

The more involved stuff, I have a phone that does everything already. What's the point?

I saw one at the Con I went to over the weekend and it looked incredibly gimmicky. I have to echo what people have said so far. No unique features from a smartphone make this redundant currently, and I'm not sure I can believe the fitness watches are accurate.

Can't justify the price.

BTW the watch linked to is price for ten pieces, which is the minimum order.

The only time I'm buying anything like that is when they make it so I feel like a cyborg.

Like this:

Circets look amazing. I'd be fine with just an mp3 player as one of these.

• Brohoof 1

I have tested a Samsung Smartwatch and what really bothers me is the overall lack of features. It basically was a fancy watch with a touch screen and pedometer tools, which can be gotten from so many other devices designed for that. I mean, I LOVE the idea of it, it seems really cool and I would like to have the Windows watch if it is ever released, but what these things need are features. If they can cram a few more in there, I would then be tempted. Something about having a piece of tech like that around your wrist, seems neato to me. :P

• 1 month later...

I'm a fan of the wearable technology that aids in fitness, but things like wearable smartphones or whatever seem pointless to me. I don't need a watch to do what I can do on my computer at home, and I dislike working with tiny displays. I'll stick with my big widescreen monitor.

I'd be somewhat nervous of wearing such an expensive device on my wrist. My watches alone can be scratched or dented, so I don't want the same to happen to a smart watch.

Also, I don't want to recharge every night after a day's use. >_>

• Brohoof 1

I'd be somewhat nervous of wearing such an expensive device on my wrist. My watches alone can be scratched or dented, so I don't want the same to happen to a smart watch.

Also, I don't want to recharge every night after a day's use. >_>

Yeah, while smartwatches sound cool, I can get nervous wearing it and I would have to keep recharging it unless they made a battery that could last super long and was also solar powered to charge it.

I don't think the technology is worth it at the moment. Pulling out your phone from your pocket isn't a big enough inconvenience to justify purchasing one of these products. I can understand the fitness trainer a little bit more, but it doesn't really do anything that special either. I'm sure there will be a time where they might catch on, but it's a new market, the companies are clueless about what to do with these products and the technology isn't ready yet because of horrible battery efficiency.

Heck, just take a look at the time keepers we already have. Watches today are one thing that we have that are incredibly well designed; one battery charge will last you years, it will never crash, and it's dead simple to use once set up. It will also never slow down on you either over the years or give you unreliable FPS.

Quite frankly, I don't see why you'd want to replace it even when the market finds a niche for these products.

• 6 months later...

For someone who doesn't have much for new technology (I have a dumb phone and dislike smartphones all together for practical reasons, no tablet, tv, or internet at home, and an 8 year old computer), I think this is a great idea for someone like me. It's not practical to have one if your smartphone can do everything an activity tracker can, but for me without that technology in the first place, it's nice to have the option out there to have a dedicated device for personal health and wellness.

I just bought one recently (got it setup today), as well as my recent joining of Crossfit, I am hoping to getl good information on what I'm doing wrong and right in my own health, and have a reminder on my wrist for my personal goals to achieve better health. I think it's heack of a lot better than will power and wellness journals alone.

This device is not meant for smartphone users; I actually see these as geared more towards older adults, and see a great oppurtunity for people to families and health care providers to be able to work with elderly people on keeping track of their health.

This is a niche market, and I can understand why many young people see these as silly when their smartphone are capable of everything already. I guess I'm an oddball out in that regard....

Edited by Treble Bolt

When I heard about Apple's iWatch (or whatever it's called) I honestly thought it was a joke... I stopped having any need to wear watches ages ago when I got a cell phone. Even if I still wore one, I think having a watch that has the features of a smart phone is just...odd.

Wearable technology is minimization of used space. You generate room by making room. It's a useful and important step in human technological evolution.

That being said; I'm not an apple fanboy, not by a long-shot. In fact, i outright hate on their gadgets for various of reasons, and i can debate on their functionality and form on many topics. I do appreciate their business sense and how they make money off of comfort. That much can be given to them. They can set a trend, and that's good because eventually this creates further advancement in that industry, and that is important.

As for the other products. The galaxy gear is... ambitious. 'Nuff said, really. Fitness gear isn't anything new or innovative, that has been around for a while now. It can only be upgraded, i suppose.

I'm curious to see what future Android wear gear we'll see personally. And what other interesting entries will see in this field.

• 5 years later...

I use a fitness band (cause notifications, a pedometer and music controls on my wrist are really convinient and for 20€ for the base watch, it's awesome)
finding out my notifications before needing to go onto my phone (if needed) is much better

7 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I can't really afford that stuff right now, but I don't really want it anyways.

some of the full smartwatches are really expensive (like the cheapest ones are the price of my phone)
I prefer the fitness straps, cause I get a basic view of my notifications (and my mi band 4 has music controls, so I can skip song or turn up the volume when needed without pulling out my phone all the time) :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I honestly find them creepy kinda cyborg like but I guess they become trendy these days. Urgh. I don't see the point. I know its not much different than a smartphone or whatever but to keep it on your body at all times is scary. I know ppl sleep with fitbits and things like that and they constantly track themselves. I honestly find it more invasive that smartphone tho I guess u can have more minimal use if u have them or instead of phone, I don't know anyone who has these though instead of a smartphone everybody I know has both if they have one at all.

I don't like wearing normal wrist watches let alone this lol. The jelly watches r alright tho cuz they r so smol but the other watches feels tight.

Edited by flurry
  • Brohoof 1

Never really got why anyone would buy it, for anything other then the cool factor which it does have as a smartwatch is cool. Yet the only use for it I could imagine it having is be able to switch songs without taking up your phone. When you think of it that way, I then ask myself am I really willing to pay that much just so I don't have to take the phone out of my pocket? I mean I would take it out of my pocket anyway so like that's why I never bought one. Then again, why do you buy a watch to begin with? Is it to know what time it is, no not really you can use your phone for that too. You buy it to give a signal to others, you always on time and you are responsible someone with a smartwatch I would say is giving the same signal. In their case, the signal is they are the early adapters that they are tech savy and perhaps want to signal they can afford expensive accessories I suppose I'm not against them I just don't think they are worth the spending you know yet that is my opinion.