Group Work:Your Opinion On it

An Unknown Pony.

Do you like group work  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Do you like group work

• Yes,me and my group members work well together
    • Heck No!,I work best alone and dislike group work
    • So and So.

It would really have to depend on the people I'm working with.  If said people work together well, it's almost guaranteed to get a passing grade, but if the group doesn't get along or are slackers the group might get a failing grade.  Personally, I and one other person would be the ones depended on to get all of the work done which might be too much for one person to do.  People seemed to think that since I paid attention to the teacher, that I could do all the work by myself.  I don't personally like group work because of that.  Just give me my own work to do and I'll be happy.

• Brohoof 1

I dislike it a lot.

Lets be real here:

- Some people prefer single work, or even do better alone

- Some groups will always have "That one guy" and because of the stupid actions of one guy, the whole group ends up suffering for it

- Likewise, some groups will have "That one guy" who's actually the hardest worker, and will do everyone's work, and for the whole group to get credit when that one guy had to do all the hard work is incredibly unfair

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 6

I have been in numerous situations where I have done the majority of the work. I remember one particular situation where we had to work on something for about 15 minutes or so (discussing a story I believe) and present our opinion to the class. I told the other members of the group to work but they ignored me so I continued to work alone. When we were called up to present, all the other members of the group, not knowing what to do, looked at me. I turned to them and said something along the lines of "O so now you pay attention to me!"

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

I remember being paired with my friend on a science project one year.  And his waiting till the LAST damned minute to actually come over to my home so we could conduct our experiment together.  I also hand-drew some large decorations onto our display board in permanent marker...  By myself.  Oh, and the entire concept was mine, too.

So group projects can suck it.

• Brohoof 1

I never was a fan of group projects. It always seemed the most hard-headed loud person would do most of project themselves and it rarely reflects the entire group.

• Brohoof 1

Group projects can either be a recipe for success and enjoyment, or a recipe for failure. Really it all depends on who you're grouped with. If you're grouped with friends and/or people who are willing to cooperate and each put in the effort, then it will be an easy, possibly even fun experience. Get a slacker or an enemy and you're gonna have a bad time (and probably a bad grade).

Oh I ADORED group projects back when I was in school and university.

Mainly because I've learned pretty fast how to be a douche "in response". I've also been in situations where group suffered because someone didn't do their job. But I learned to insist on drawing a line on who is supposed to do what very early, and then I just went to teachers etc, slammed the papers or whatever on their desks and went "Here, this is my part of the work we've agreed to perform. I did my job and even though it was supposed to be a group assignment, I shouldn't be held responsible for others' inability to perform their tasks." And honestly, given how both me and teacher knew how much truth there was in that statement, it usually worked.

I had good grades. They had bad grades. Beat the system. Step outside the box and don't be afraid to speak up, ftw ._.

• Brohoof 1

I HATE group work, plain and simple. Every group I've ever been in from grade school into college has either been:

a) I do all the work, while my "partners" slack off and still get credit

b ) I'm the third wheel, given little to nothing to work or outright ignored no matter how much I want to help and feeling utterly useless

c) If the group work is divided in someway, I'm doing all the actual work while they do anything that could be counted as "fun"

Call me a loner if you will, but I jump at the chance to work alone for any group assignment. That way, if I fail an assignment, it's entirely my fault and not because my partner was overly controlling/useless.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

I hate group work in school, because I'm usually force-grouped with people who I don't want to work with, and then either I do all the work or I get shoved out of the way because whoever takes the leader role due to their dominant personality presumes me to be an idiot because I'm quiet. School group work makes me feel uncomfortable, and in high school you never get assignments you couldn't have easily done yourself.

However, working with people outside of class, when we all choose to work together to accomplish something we care about accomplishing, now that's usually a good experience. I choose to work on school and non-school projects with others all the time, and I like doing that. It's all about the people I suppose.

It sucks, in my experience. We have group projects at university where we're not allowed to choose who we work with. There's always at least one guy who doesn't give a shit. Plus, arranging meetings when people live on opposite ends of the campus is a huge pain in the ass.

Group work is okay as long as it's one to three people. But if it's multiple people, then I don't feel comfortable and also usually left out and easy for me to go space out into escapism mode. Another thing is it depends on who I'm with. If it's people I know well and comfortable talking to, then it's fine. But if it's a group of strangers or slight acquaintances, then I'm not comfortable.

Edited by CC_Maud_Pie

Group work is the most stupid idea invented for completing assignments. Mainly because it's extremely unfair when someone does nothing and/or one person does everything. My teachers claim that it helps us get a better understanding of the topic, where in fact it actually does the opposite because we'd be too busy talking to each other rather than doing any work. If we'd work alone, that'd change for sure. 

Group work is pretty much a case of...run over to friends, ask to go in group, realise they already have a group, have to go with people I hate, get bad grades.

THAT is what I think about group work  :P

• Brohoof 1

I'm not very good at starting things myself, but I'm really good at editing/correcting other people's work to make it better, so I really benefit from group work.  :squee:

I think that groups are nice to work with if you all chose to work together, and they can be especially useful in solving problems, but they're a pretty bad idea for graded school assignments (screw school by the way  :okiedokielokie: ).

Maybe if I were to actually get in a group with people who actually try, I would like it. So far, the groups I've been put in involve one or more of these: 

• The entire group is chatting

• I have to do all the work

• I don't get to participate because everyone ignores me

• The group consists completely of special needs kids, and some of them think that they won't amount to anything, so they don't even try. Even though Some of us do try. (I'm special needs, too. That's why I'm often in that kind of group)

Maybe group work would be better if they taught us how to do it. I can't remember any time in my life where we had a lesson on how to do group work.

• Brohoof 1