Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zoop

Most users would be pissed if the RP section gets removed. Same can be said about chat.

The RP section is a forum. The chat was not. The RP section is easily monitored and controllable while the chat was not, therefore it would not be removed as quickly and for the same reasons the chat was.

The loss of the chat in no way devalues this website as it was not the crown jewel to begin with. It's like adding nice pin striping on a Ferrari. A huge majority of people will enjoy the Ferrari for the Ferrari itself and it's performance, while a small handful of people might only enjoy the sweet pin striping that was an added-on accessory in the first place.

• Brohoof 2

To spread the word - people click it, they get the scoop on what's going on. The button will be removed after a while. :)

okie dokie lokie.

RP Boards is one of the things that makes this forums interesting. A Forum only based on MLP would fail. The Spam section, the Everfree Forest, the RP boards are all thing that makes this forums interesting. So was the chat. People could be kicked and banned from the chat. But instead of banning the spammers from it, you guys decided to take it down entirely. Thats stupid. Its like saying "Hey this Computer doesnt work well. Lets destroy it!!"

• Brohoof 1

Now imagine if the entirety of RP threads are filled with random actions and mind-numbingly dumb dialogues that doesn't makes any sense. And everyone got a Mary Sue characters that clumsy enough to drop that plates but strong enough to kill a full-grown dragon

That's what happened to the chat

• Brohoof 2

From the sound of some of these posts I'm seeing, I'm surprised you guys chose to join a forum over an IRC network like Ponychat or Canternet. These are communities that are dedicated solely to live chats and nothing else. They will serve your interests better than a forum community.

In reference do my post-did not mean to sound like a threat- but why would i honestly want to full donate to something i will rarely ever use, i cant have a conversation not in real time and chat let me connect with other bronies. well yea.. +i know yall work for free, but site does have upkeep costs-btw iy was not meant as a threat

As I said, money has absolutely nothing to do with our motivation to run the site or make any of the decisions we do, and is not a compelling argument to begin with. If you want a real-time conversation, join an IRC network. They'll be better able to accommodate your interests than us.

Some people dont have the money to pay for games, cant play RP for limiations (A Language Barrier, for example), or cant draw. I used the chat everyday because it was a nice and a FAST way to speak with people and share they thoughts. I loved the chat.

Well, i will need to wait for being invited to the skype group (and i fail to see the difference between skype and Chatroom moderatio)

TF2 is free. And you completely skipped over the 10,000+ discussion topics part. As I said above, if you want a chat community, go join one of those, not a forum.

Ah the nostalgia. I remember it like it was yesterday. We hit 500 members,

500 Members.png

Oh boy. Back in the day, I went by Twilight Sparkle. :P

Aw, dang.

Oh well, Mods are teh bosses round heir.

I understand why you guys needed to shut it down. But this same thing happened at another forum I was at. Except it was a live shout box.

But, when they took it down, they made a whole other section called a Spam Pit under the chat center.

Post count didn't increase there, but you could also put spammy threads in there without breaking the rules.

Just an idea, you know?

I like Spam Pits.

We've had a "spam pit" since day one. It's called Cloudsdale Colosseum. Have fun.

To be honest, I did like the chat, but at the same time, I never really got a chance to participate in it because of some of the other conversations that were occurring at the time. I often wanted to have some conversations about MLP, but I was normally on late at night, and most of the conversations at that time were random, so I generally stayed out of them. IT was a good place to get quick answers to pony related questions though without wasting a new forum thread on it.

That's a recurring problem I've seen in my three years of running online communities - people being too shy to start topics. Pretty much any topic that warrants an intelligent response is fair game and "worth" starting a topic for. Worst-case scenario, we'll lock it if the question is answered and warrants no further discussion.

You'll find many members here are ready to answer questions out on the forums. If it is a truly tiny question, you will usually get very quick responses to a status update as well.

If in doubt, PM a moderator and they'll tell you whether something is worth a topic or not.

Most users on that topic would prefer to have a glitchy chat that no chat at all.

If a minority spams, that doesnt means everyone spams. The number f people who spammed in the chat was insignificant in comparison to the people who had civilized conversations on the chat. This doesnt hurt the people who spammed in the chat, its the complete opposite. Currently i have absolutely nothing to do here in the forums. I cant play Rp because my english sucks. I dont the money to buy TF 2 or a Minecraft Account. My devian art is not centered about MLP. I am a brony because the community and the fanfics. There are no serious topics about fanfics around the forum.The only thing that i could do was speak with others in the chatroom and speak about anything on the Everfree forest. Now my only interest is on there.

EDIT

This haves to be one of the worst arguments i have heard in my life .-.

We've found that ratio to be quite the opposite. TF2 is free. And if you like fanfics and the community, go check out the 10,000+ discussion topics. We're also in the midst of introducing a new fan fiction database... you might find that interesting.

And if you can't find any worthwhile fan fiction topics, start one! We wouldn't have given everyone the ability to start topics if we didn't want you to do that!

Most users would be pissed if the RP section gets removed. Same can be said about chat.

Roleplay World is a wildly different beast than the chatroom. I hardly understand why you're even comparing the two. RP World, to begin with, is publicly accessible and open for everyone. It has high standards for content quality and vigilant moderation, so it's filled with sprawling and generally well-written stories. Many guests might enjoy reading them, and join to contribute to them. And finished roleplays stick around, publicly archived, indefinitely. They add permanent, long-term value to the site and it happens quite often that old threads are found by guests via search engines.

In the chatroom, on the other hand, even if you write an intelligent and witty message, it is more or less lost forever once it scrolls past the top of the screen. The only record left of it is in the chat logs, which are accessible to around 10 people. The chatroom cannot even be seen or accessed by guests, so even if something awesome is going down in there, only 20-30 people will ever see it.

• Brohoof 5

"You remind Me of my father... I HATED my father!"

-(The Dark Knight) Joker

We're all going to hate you now. The chat was the only thing that made you... you.

Get out of here with your unique personality and intelligent opinions. The world doesn't need any of that.

What we need are more 5-minute members who spam on the message boards about how great *insert topic here* is.

Forget you. Now that chat is gone, nobody will accept you.

We'd all hate to see another great addition to the already wonderful forum threads.

Yeah.

... Get outta here.

You aren't a regular.

You aren't anything.

*Spits at hooves*

*Ahem*

YOU MUST BE SOME KIND OF STUPID TO THINK THAT AFTER *glances at profile info*116 Brohoofs, 338 Active Posts, and Donating to the site to keep THE FORUMS ALIIIIVE, WE'D GIVE TWO *Bad words here* ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT YOU WERE A CHATROOM PARTY-HARD!

Pfft, Newbie. (Like and subscribe, yeah? And leave a comment about your opinions below, yeah? And HURRRR HURRRR HURRRR)

But yeah, that's what's up.

please that was incredibly rude I don't care if you were being sarcastic or not man! that just wan't cool. have a little bit of respect for others O.K.?
  • Brohoof 2

RP Boards is one of the things that makes this forums interesting. A Forum only based on MLP would fail. The Spam section, the Everfree Forest, the RP boards are all thing that makes this forums interesting. So was the chat. People could be kicked and banned from the chat. But instead of banning the spammers from it, you guys decided to take it down entirely. Thats stupid. Its like saying "Hey this Computer doesnt work well. Lets destroy it!!"

Actually, the RP boards are based solely on MLP. The fact that the entire forum revolves around MLP is precisely what makes it interesting.

If you think a general forum with no central theme is more interesting, offtopic.com has plenty of room for you. No central theme, a boring grey skin, and subsections for every general topic under the sun. Why'd you join a pony forum if MLP discussions bore you?

Feld0 has summed up the situation in an excellent way. In fact, as much as i enjoyed chat, i ended up just arguing with people who broke rules, such as spam excessive language and other things. It only made it a little more miserable to me. As much fun as the chat was when it WAS intelligent, it was more often random video's, and links, and completely meaningless conversation.

Besides, we still have the skype group for dedicated users. (Speaking of which i would like to be added to it.) The only really enjoyable conversation i had with anyone, was with the moderators. I enjoyed talking to them about similar experiences and happenings on the forums, and i can still do that with skype.

And Felipe, your arguments are somewhat flawed in that RP world is much bigger and more organized, and from what i saw (and thats quite a bit) chat didn't have many people that actually ignored the glitches and problems. The glitches drove me to insomnia, quite literally, in that i spent 5 minutes trying to scroll down on the mobile version when i'm doing chat at night.

Now don't get me wrong. I still found chat fun to an extent, but removing the chat because of those problems is a perfectly logical reason to remove it entirely.

• Brohoof 3

please that was incredibly rude I don't care if you were being sarcastic or not man! that just wan't cool. have a little bit of respect for others O.K.?

Condescending personality, my dear friend. I too am saddened to be cursed with it. I'd like to think of it as 'inspirational' but let's call it... 'wit'.

In reality, it's just called jack-assidry. Sorry for being myself.

Again, I can be very condescending. See how it is? :P

But yeah, I apologize if anypony takes my remarks the wrong way.

I thought it was funny.

Huzzah, my good fellow. Let us frolic and pick daisies. Rejoice in the wonderful opportunities life gives us! I LOVE OPTIMISIIIIIM!

... At this point, my mouth is open and I am spewing lilac-scented Vaseline EVERYWHERE.

It's 1:30 AM... I'm going to bed. :blink:

(edited)

There are times for great walls of text, and there are times for brevity.

Today, at this present moment, it is time for the latter.

Posted Image

THE MLP FORUMS CHAT ROOM IS HEREBY DEAD AND BURIED

The Skype group is still available for real-time communication.

We apologize to those of you that make use of the chat room, however we have come to the ultimate decision that closing it so that we can refocus the collective energy of the MLP Forums staff on the most important aspect of the community - the forum - is, in the long run, in our best interests.

The chat room, while a source of entertainment for some, is completely impractical from a moderation standpoint due to the lack of worthwhile back-end features and controls. Additionally, IP.Chat's glitchy nature has resulted in a great many threads and private messages seeking help and support for issues that are, quite simply, beyond our control.

Our goal from the start has always been to provide the best possible forum for My Little Pony-related discussion. This decision, though it may ultimately prove unpopular, was made in the interest of helping us regain sight of that goal.

As i said, job well done.

I've seen in the chat tons of people who just registered to be in chat, then leaved, and never came back.

Not even in the forums.

Edited by The Baritone Milkman

I agree with this decision, I didn't often use chat, but the times I did I found it to be spammy, random, and completely off topic.

Although I'm still surprised that you didn't at least warn us first, maybe we would have changed, but it's too late now anyway.

Be thankfull that we have these forums in the first place guys!

I agree with this decision, I didn't often use chat, but the times I did I found it to be spammy, random, and completely off topic.

Although I'm still surprised that you didn't at least warn us first, maybe we would have changed, but it's too late now anyway.

Be thankfull that we have these forums in the first place guys!

Technicaly, we WERE warned here.

http://mlpforums.com/topic/10124-chat-conduct/

Skim through the thread a bit and you will find some mentions of removing it.

http://mlpforums.com...chat-is-closed/ <- moreso that thread.

Technicaly, we WERE warned here.

http://mlpforums.com...4-chat-conduct/

Skim through the thread a bit and you will find some mentions of removing it.

Ah right. I guess I just didn't pay enough attention. Well anyway like I said I agree with and respect your decisions, I'm not a mod, I don't make the rules.

Welp, all I can say is this: I will miss it but it will definitely help with forum traffic. Too bad I won't have Skype for a while until I can get my own computer so I won't be able to chat there. lol

Oh well, I'm still up for MSN chats for anyone who wants to add me. micjett@hotmail.com is my MSN email, anyone is welcome to add me but you have to tell me who you are because I get hit with enough bots to ignore you if you don't identify yourself!

(edited)

Really???Remove it completely??? Sigh i dont know what to say....

So because you werent able to help others and be good you decided to completely remove the chat so few people wont have problems so you wont need to save them and they ll be happy.... Good job you are good people now in your mind...

Sigh after finally making the decision to join another forum and trying to ignore the wierd tight internet rules i didnt expect mods/admins would cause me such a problem again...

Edited by Feld0
  • Brohoof 1

RaccoonBL, I still remember you as someone from the first wave of members, and you have no idea how happy I am that you're still sticking around and actively posting. You're far from a forgotten member for me. :)

I really appreciate it Feld0. I really do, however, I just feel sad knowing that a lot of member I use to know and talk with, don't talk with me that much. If you are popular, people quote you more which involves discussion.

Back then, what I had going for me was being nice. That only gets you so far then everyone else starts being better then you.

I do miss the old days so much...

I used it once that is it so I don't care if if it's gone. But isn't a chat room suppose to be about chatting about random stuff and not about the show? Just curious about that. They take it down due to the fact we didn't focus on the show in there. I find that kind of strict if you ask me. A Chat room is suppose to be about having fun and goofing off and talking about random stuff about your day or what else happened not about the show. Very strict and kind mean that they did this.

But isn't a chat room suppose to be about chatting about random stuff and not about the show? Just curious about that. They take it down due to the fact we didn't focus on the show in there. I find that kind of strict if you ask me. A Chat room is suppose to be about having fun and goofing off and talking about random stuff about your day or what else happened not about the show. Very strict and kind mean that they did this.

There was never any restriction placed on the chatroom that forced members to talk about pony related topics. The chat was predominantly removed due to the overall poor behaviour that was occurring in there on a daily basis, causing a whole range of recurring issues.

Really???Remove it completely??? Sigh i dont know what to say....

So because you werent able to help others and be good you decided to completely remove the chat so few people wont have problems so you wont need to save them and they ll be happy.... Good job you are good people now in your mind...

Sigh after finally making the decision to join another forum and trying to ignore the wierd tight internet rules i didnt expect mods/admins would cause me such a problem again...

So anyone know any other chat? to have ass main mlpforum unofficial chat

There's the Official MLP Forums Skype Group, which has been around long before the implementation of the chat.

And despite closing down the chat once before as a result of poor behaviour, re-opening it with a new set of established rules in an attempt to improve chat conduct, holding a forum-wide survey to receive feedback that included getting members to evaluate aspects of the chat, responding to that feedback with a specific forum to allow users to discuss chat issues such as poor conduct and recurring chat bugs, then yes, we did completely disregard the community and closed the chat on our own accord. We are truly terrible people.

• Brohoof 7