Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Furries!

Miss Light Diamond

It is the cut-off-point for me that is tricky when trying to understand Furry? If you take bugs as a furry, then 95% of folk are furries. But not many people followed Erma Felna, so to be a furry do you need to like the art or own a suit? If I figure out what a furry is, I'll be able to say, but I feel a bit furry, so I am probably both? MLP Definately fitted my 'big-eyed cute, with an edge' like-button.

We do in fact have another topic very similar to this one that can be located in Sugarcube Corner: http://mlpforums.com/topic/100377-do-you-consider-bronies-to-be-furries/

Follow the above link if you'd like to discuss the connection between bronies and furries; otherwise I ask that this topic largely focus on the furry subculture on its own.

Thanks!

We do in fact have another topic very similar to this one that can be located in Sugarcube Corner: http://mlpforums.com/topic/100377-do-you-consider-bronies-to-be-furries/

Follow the above link if you'd like to discuss the connection between bronies and furries; otherwise I ask that this topic largely focus on the furry subculture on its own.

Thanks!

But that topic / thread is locked

But that topic / thread is locked

Oops! My mistake! I apologize for not catching that. I nonetheless ask that the topic here remain more narrow in focus, in accordance with the OP.

I'm what you might call a "second-generation furry" - I'm 38 years old and have been into the furry fandom for most of my life.  My parents are also furries and were around when the fandom first really became a fandom back in the mid-to-late 80s.  Over time, I've sorta become a bit of a spokesman for various aspects of the fandom as well, mostly in the form of helping to explain and dispel some of the more vicious rumors and stereotypes that often come along with the term "furry".  If anyone has any questions along those lines, I'd be happy to help. :)

It is the cut-off-point for me that is tricky when trying to understand Furry? If you take bugs as a furry, then 95% of folk are furries. But not many people followed Erma Felna, so to be a furry do you need to like the art or own a suit? If I figure out what a furry is, I'll be able to say, but I feel a bit furry, so I am probably both? MLP Definately fitted my 'big-eyed cute, with an edge' like-button.

I don't think there's really a "cut-off" point, per se.  There are, in fact, some very prominent people in the fandom for whom "furry" encompasses insects and arachnids (in fact, spiders are more popular than you might expect).  The man who runs (or at least used to run) AnthroCon uses/used an anthropomorphic cockroach as his main "fursona" (a guy we know as "Uncle Kage").

Generally speaking, though, the term "furry" refers to anyone who is interested in any aspect of anthropomorphism as a form of art and entertainment.  It's up to you to decide to what extent you participate.  And in many ways, it's no different than defining the term "brony" - some bronies just enjoy watching the show, others like to make their own art and stories, some like to dress up and behave like the characters, a few like to model their lifestyles on aspects of the show, and of course, some like to clop.  Really, the same is true of furry fandom, and of Trekkies, Otakus, or any other fandom you can name.

I like to think of furry fandom as a "super-culture" fandom, because if you can name anything with a human character, you can substitute the human with an anthropomorphic animal of almost any kind and still maintain that character. :)

• Brohoof 2

Its kinda odd. I loved ponies (the orginals) and that led to a love of furries, which led back to ponies (G4 and the Bronys)

I had been a part of the Fur community, mostly into the wolves and weres and had gone to several Fur cons (Mephit fur meet in Memphis TN) mostly in my younger days.

The furs were okay, but i wasnt as nearly obsessive about them as i am here

I consider myself a furry, but I am hardly involved in furry community.  To be honest, I actually hide my interest in anthropomorphic animals more than I do with all things pony.  The negative outlook on the furry community, plus personal confusion between it and my faith, lead me to keep this kind of stuff rather hidden.

I have been a furry since high school, circa ten years so far, but I have always love furries going back to the Disney afternoon block. My first fursona however, is my ponysona Star Australis, but I do love grey wolves, and I have been around real wolves before, the Texas wolf dog rescue project, they are amazing animals, elegant, affectionate and lovable, so whether I am a furry or a brony, I feel I belong to both fandoms, and the people who made up those fandoms too.

I would've considered myself a furry, years ago, but I never felt like part of the community. Then I found ponies. And all was well with the world.

I'm not a furry, but I do have a fondness for the fandom and much of what it produces. I enjoy the art and have found that furries tend to be very nice people. In all honesty, back when I first heard about furries it was from people who thought they were gross and had issues, and I thought largely the same until my brony fandom started being attacked. Now I know better than to ever think badly of people just for liking something harmless that I don't understand, and I'm thankful for that improvement to myself :)

Now I have friends who are furries, and they happen to be fond of MLP too. I would likely do things like make a fursona or go to furry-cons with them, but wouldn't necessarily look for my own place in the fandom. MLP takes up enough of my time as it is  :lol:  

If I did have a fursona though, it would probably be a fox  :catface:

• 6 months later...

Does it matter what we think of them? The ones I know are easygoing people and unless they specifically told you, you would have no idea that they were furries.

We're all just subcultures trying to survive.

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 3

I am a furry and have been for about 2 years now.

I even have 2 tails for cosplaying :)

That being said, I obviously have no issues with furries.

• Brohoof 4

I'd consider myself one. To me, it's like any other fandom or subculture. People have the right to express themselves as they like, and I'm not going to be the one to tell them they can't. Rather, let them fly their freak flags with pride and grace.

• Brohoof 5

I am a furry and i think it dosen't really matter for most people. I am still a normal human, who does his usual stuff IRL.

What i do in my private time, is pretty much my thing and Furries are also cool people.

• Brohoof 2

@@Ghosty13

Just letting you know that I moved this to General Discussion as the Creative Resources area is more for seeking critique on various artworks.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 3