Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Favourite Time Period In History?

Vennax

In terms of study, the Sengoku Jidai (Warring States) Period in Japanese history. It's interesting seeing all of the politics, backstabbing, and other general underhanded tactics of the day.

As far as what period I'd want to live in? Right now feels good to me. It's not that I would mind visiting other eras in history for observational purposes (and perhaps to live out a fantasy or two), but the now is where I belong. Why else would I be now instead of then?

• Brohoof 1

I really like the Georgian Era of Britain as well as the Napoleonic Wars.

I also find WWI, WWII, and the events of the 60's fascinating.

My favorite decade is the 80's because of the music, movies, TV shows, and technology that debuted around that time.

• Brohoof 3

The Cold War era, late 1940's to 1990's (Mostly for the interesting nature of the equipment and vehicles used during this era)

WWII especially for the German side of things. I love the 'Panzers' of the Germans and find them to be (Albeit unreliable) technological marvels of their era! 

To be honest it would be the future. Like in the decade of the 2050s. I wonder what computer technology will be in that era. :)

But how can the future be your favorite time period when you don't have any idea of how it'll be? I mean, I won't deny that here is a chance that the computer technology will be awesome in the 2050s, but there is also a chance that the world will be a nuclear wasteland by then. 

Edited by Yamet

I like the turn of the century (1800s to 1900s) up through the 1920s. I like the sensibility, the styles and the lack of technology (except for microwaves, email and DVD players). Okay, so I'm not a total purist!  :rarity:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

But how can the future be your favorite time period when you don't have any idea of how it'll be? I mean, I won't deny that here is a chance that the computer technology will be awesome in the 2050s, but there is also a chance that the world will be a nuclear wasteland by then.

PS: my second favourite time period was undoubtedly the 80s!!! Just the eurodance music and design of things were amazing!!! I didn't live to see it but my dad did as he was a teenager back then with a super awesome Commodore-64 computer! Then annoyingly his parents scrapped it at the garbage dump after my dad moved out of his parents house in the mid 90s. :)

*explodes*

ALL OF IT! im a freaking history geek, I love all history utterly regret not doing it in college ;_; My Mum's a historian and lecturer and my Dad works on Listed and Historical Buildings as well as has an interest in Heritage Railways. so history is  a huge part of my everyday life. 

at a push I would say my fave time period would be Early 20th Century, I am in love with it and wish I had a time machine to go live there for a week, but British and American history more as well as pre-revolutionary France. The over the top Aristocracy of Versailles fascinates me so. 

I think I secretly just want to live like a noblewoman XD 

I still know like nothing on American History as we never really studied it at school (sorry you yanks), but I know about almost every English time period. I've been picking up on the US history mostly through films, a lot of them set around the Civil War era. Not the best source but its one of my fave film settings. 

Please dont hate me fellow history fans, but my least fave subject of history is the Cold War, Soviet Union and Germany after WW2. i always found it boring to study and kinda blame it for my bad history exam grade and why I never continued it in college. We did this for our GCSE years (really important exam years at age 15/16) and my god i just got put off my history lessons because of it. Just everything to do with the history of communism put me to sleep. I love the military tech side of it, but 20th Century East European history does not do it for me sorry. Its also at this point I lost interest with modern US history too. 

Again, the only part during the Cold War that sparks my interest is our UK history. For some reason I never find it to be boring. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Mid to late 1800's is my favorite time period. Firearms and ammunition technology really advanced after the invention of the percussion cap and later black powder cartridges. 

I have a strong fascination with ancient through the 18th century. My fascination does not even remotely mean that I would want to live in those times, or that I mean to romanticize them at all. I just really appreciate their music (and instruments!), art and architecture. So much of the music I listen to is from those times.

The 90s, obviously. If you did not grow up in the 90s, you did not have a childhood. :umad:

My serious favorite time periods are the late 19th century (blame Rurouni Kenshin and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)...and the 80s. No way can I not have a special place in my heart for the era of the video game renaissance and the beginning of MLP. :P

If only the future were history... But that would likely make it less interesting of a subject... *shrug*

Of all the time periods, I've had a fascination with the Wild West, but I'll stretch it a bit further and say 1830-1900. I find it fascinating for three different reasons:

1. Serious advances in the technological development of firearms. In this time-frame they went from muskets and flintlock pistols that fired freaking balls to revolvers and repeating rifles(even semi-automatic rifles were designed pre 1900, so I could say those) that fired bullets just like the ones we use today. This is surprising because this was one of the more peaceful eras of the world, as far as I know. No really major wars I can think of aside from the American Civil War.
  2. A surprising amount of political upheaval. America was seeing the negative effects of runaway capitalism at the time, and Karl Marx predicted the Great Depression (albeit his time-frame was way off). It was also period where slavery began to be considered immoral. A period where women started to fight for their rights. 
  3. During this time, there was a massive influx of new technology in general. Sure I already mentioned firearms, but those deserved their own point, I think. Here it's more about developments like railways, locomotives, telegraph machines, telephones... Heck, this time boasts names like Samuel Colt, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla...   

Though I also find the period between the Great Depression and the Vietnam War interesting also. However, after that began the era of corrupt, self-serving politicians, and an era of infuriatingly hawkish foreign policy from the United States most specifically, that's only been getting worse.

Mid-to-Late Republican Rome all the way to Early Imperial Rome. The slow, but steady transformation of what was a reasonably functional republic into an autocracy is a warning to all those who do not want to see their own Republics to degenerate. Also, some really interesting stories and figures in there.

Also, early Mesopotamian history. I've been trying to figure out how did Sargon the Great overthrow Ur-Zubaba and overtook Lugal-Zagesi as the most powerful man in Mesopotamia, but there's really nothing I can come up with except for mere speculation. Also, quite a few more really interesting figures such as Naram-Sin, Ur-Nammu, and of course, Hammurabi.

I'm surprised only one person mentioned the cold war yet. I think it's the most interesting and scary time periode considering humanity came close to total destruction several times in these 44 years. In fact, during the Cuban missile crisis, one person on a submarine prevented World War 3 by deciding against starting fire. 

And as a chemistry nerd, I find it interesting that Methamphetamine was discovered 1893 in Japan. Without this drug, World War 2 would have been completely different and way less destructive, since german and japanese soldiers used Methamphetamine for extreme performance enhancement, it's the perfect war drug. Hitler himself got it injected two times daily.