Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long before you break?

Invincible

Just a thought i had, and was curious about all of your opinions..

Back in high-school, all the pressure i had was Homework, Getting ready for school, and maybe the occasional drama in class.

Nowadays, between moving away, paying for my tuition, and studying, it seems i hardly have time for anything or anyone. 

Still, it somehow doesn't slow me down. What about you? How much can you take before you start feeling cornered?

• Brohoof 1

As I've gotten older, I've kind of configured my life to be as stress-free as possible.  I hate feeling frazzled, so I do what I can to eliminate the things around me that contribute to that state of being.

I know that's not really an answer to your question, but it's what I have.  I don't feel cornered very often anymore because I don't let myself become cornered, I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, it becomes too much to take when it seems that life has you in its crosshairs and pretty much uproots everything you thought you knew, then drives your face into the mud and attempts to keep you there.

It's my personal belief that you can only break if you let the pressure get to you. If and when you start feeling the metaphorical cracks in your foundation develop, let it out in a constructive manner and talk to someone or find some other outlet like music or art if there is no one available at the moment. It really helps.

Edited by ATGG
  • Brohoof 3

Psssh, you have more patience than me. Moving away would be a breaking point for me. Paying tuition? I think America's colleges are a joke. I can not handle stress all that well so something like this would make me want to do something dumb to take my mind off things.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes it happens my friend.You feel like you have no time even for yourself but you need to create free time blocks for yourself. Don't forget there is a relief next to every difficulties '''

Right now I am trying to keep my grades up and it is pretty easy because it is the beginning of the new school year, but as time goes on I am pretty sure it will get harder. Most of the time I get my stress from stupid people at school.

The only time I really 'break' is when I decide to be angry about things instead of hopeful. I remember... near the beginning of October I think? I was super mad at my mom for an argument we got in, my grades were dropping quickly, I had no friends to go to for support, and a few classmates I was hoping would become my friends some time in the year made a ton of homophobic comments. I was absolutely freaked out!

But everything did a flip-flop when I decided to forgive my mom, and feel hopeful about improving my grades, instead of depressed about what they were at the moment. I still don't have any friends in RL, but that isn't a big deal, because what really makes or breaks a day (for me) is trying for a cheerful mood, spending time with family, and not investing much thought in the negative things people say.

...chocolate also helps.

Edited by R.Q.

As time passes by I become worse and worse. I think it all came to a head when I tried to go university (majoring in music), commuting there back and forth every weekday, and work all at once. That did me in, and I still haven't recovered.

My feelings of inadequacy also make me more stressed out. As does exactly how big of a mess my life is beyond anyone's knowledge.

I stress out extremely easily. If I'm a little behind falling asleep. If something - anything - sets me back at work... I will start flipping out. Lol. It happened last night... Even though in the end everything was fine. I'm such a mess.

Studies and having work to do are things that don't break me. However, I am capable of concentrating at one task at once. If people come to me with more things to do while I am concentrated at one thing, then I might get anxious and upset, though generally don't show it. So you can say that doing too many things at the same time can break me.

Paradoxically, having nothing at all to do also gets me anxious. My mind needs to be occupied with something, idleness builds up stress :P.

Deadlines also affect me, especially if there are too many at once. Back in undergrad college I ysed to get fever at the end of every semester :sunny:.

By the way, , I wish best of luck for your studies, job and moving :).

• Brohoof 1

I have crippling anxiety problems, so my limits are....well, extremely limited. Basically for me, all it takes is for something to throw a wrench in a plan of mine or something to anger me, then the stress starts. This starts the thoughts to go everywhere in my mind, then the self-deprecation kicks in, then it all goes downhill from there. Needless to say, my mood is very fragile. Which is a shame, makes some things very difficult to enjoy on a daily basis. 

Back at university, we would have 11 weeks of studies followed by a working 'holiday' (either Christmas or Easter - although the latter could be in the middle of a semester) and then five exams over a 2-3 week period. Certainly by the end of that I was always exhausted, but I think I would have been able to go on longer as I would only have one week off between the 1st and 2nd semester and that was usually all I needed (the summer holidays were nice and long though.) So that's about 17 weeks of increasing stress (the first few were never that bad, but I did usually have to study for at least 6 days a week - sometimes 6.5, with just Sunday morning off) followed by 1 week off, and I managed well enough. So I would say that 17:1 work-rest weeks is within tolerance but not too far from my limit. 

When I graduated, it took around 3 months before I was getting bored of not having any significant work to do (this was after three fairly intensive years of university.) It's been 16 months now, and I've found that now that I have been offered a job (just paperwork to go) I am far more restless and impatient to start than when I was 14 months in when there really seemed to be very little hope, although that was't a good state of mind to be in either. I would guess that between months 8 and 14 was the interval at which I was at my worst, and I certainly would like to avoid that in the future, so I will go with 8 months inactivity.

• Brohoof 1

Well between full time school, family always interrupting(we break into arguments all the time), and just socially not talking to anyone that much I try to meditate to calm myself.

This is an interesting one, a break point is something I feel that I lack, but actually think I would probably be better off if I had one.

I wake up at 04:00 every day, leave for work at 04:30 (after getting out of bed around 04:20) I then try to squeeze a few hours of admin work into an hour before anyone else arrives, and from 06:00 onwards I need to organise/mediate/direct around 20 people who all seem to think that everyone else has an easier workload than they do, and most of the management is done by phone during the 8-10 hours per day I spend driving and delivering stuff

I generally get home around 18:30-19:00, do about an hour worth of housework, cleaning, tidying, washing dishes etc, then cook dinner for the kids, and get them ready and in bed for 21:00. After they get to sleep (takes a while sometimes) I make my own dinner, and have my first - and only - meal of the day around 22:00. Then go to sleep around 23:00. I get about 30 minutes of downtime in the evening, while they're eating their dinner - as is the case now, but don't take any breaks during the working day. I do try to do as little as possible at home on Saturday afternoon and Sunday though.

I have regular PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions in the heart) several times per minute and they get worse the more stressed or rushed I am, have had this for about 4 years now and it's never got any better or worse, I also have recurring hernias and very high blood pressure. I've never got to a point where I consciously feel like I have to stop, but judging from my health issues that's probably not a good thing. Break points seem to exist to protect us from getting permanently wrecked

Also being in such a state of constant rush for so many hours each day, I seem to lack the patience for doing things that I used to enjoy, such as making and mixing music, creating graphics and animations, and writing fiction. As soon as I get to anything that requires finite controls and tweaking or detailed thought, I just can't handle it at all, so maybe that's where the break comes in

Edited by BPCannon

I have only had 2 major breakdowns in my life so far.

The first one was after my fiance left me. 

I was devestated and attempted suicide. I was sent to the psychiatric unit for some much-needed psyhciatric care.

The second one was when I was attending jury duty in another city.

I couldn't remember which parking garage I parked my car in, and I had a breakdown because I was so incredibly frustrated.

I graduated, an that took a lot of weight off my shoulders. Perhaps too much.

Living in a small town makes it nearly impossible to find a job. So now I sit at home with nothing to do. I'm feeling cornered right now by all the nothing I'm doing. When I am doing something, it's painfully boring and inactive, like sending out an application to a university.

I just need something to actually do. Even I it is just helping around or doing stuff online xP

• 5 years later...