Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the first thing you'd do if you won the lottery

Hocus Pocus

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Really the FIRST thing I'd do is get some pizza delivered(I usually pick it up to save money), give the driver a hundred dollar tip, then just spend a few days depressurizing and shopping online. My job can go to hell.

Then after that I'd start putting elaborate plans into effect.

Finish my degree, hire an investment banker, and start some sweet sweet compounding interest building. I’d also want some sort of wealth manager, because I’m shit with money. I’d also pay off the bit of debt I have. Then I’d find a job and start working. Work for 5 years, sell my current house, and I should be solid for the rest of my life.

I would go straight to a financial consultant and learn how to manage the money. Many lottery winners have spent all that they won and gone broke, and that temptation will be too great if I don't know what I'm doing. I'd probably save at least half of it. I don't really want to think about that responsibility, tbh.

I would lawyer up to keep people from pestering me for handouts. I'd get protection for my home in case people camp outside it waiting for me to come out (this is a reality of some lottery winners).

Winning the lottery honestly sounds like it would be a nightmare if you don't get lucky.

At this point, I'd just rejoice that I wouldn't have to return to my job that physically hurts me so bad. It would be such a major relief, because TBH, right now I don't even know what I'm going to do... Then I'm pretty sure we'd move to New England very quickly. Before the Spring hits (or at least May, which I'd be really happy to never have to experience another one down here in tornado land) hopefully.

(I'm assuming this is something like a $300 million Mega Millions jackpot) The first thing I'd do would be to go on an Amazon shopping spree since I can do that immediately :D The first thing I'd get is the parts for the $3.7k overkill gaming PC that I made a parts list for online. The motherboard alone is almost $800, and you can build a rocking PC with just that much. After that, who knows. Set aside something like ten million in a savings account that I don't touch, pay off my loans and any loans my family or friends have, pay off my parents' mortgage, buy a house for my sister and childhood friend, buy a house for myself, retire early, then go crazy. Probably go to every convention in the Unites States that I can. If I somehow manage to spend all of it (300 mil is more than I'd know what to do with), I'd still have that savings account, at which point I would start being careful with my money.

Really, though, as bad as I am with money, I know how to manage it. I've just always chosen not to. I've actually done really good about that recently, though. I could easily retire if I came across $2 million and live comfortably if I planned it out well enough. Of course, that's not counting for inflation, though. So maybe I wouldn't immediately retire, just work at a very relaxed pace.

I think I would buy everything that I needed, maybe buy my own land on my rez, build a house and have a few fruit trees along with a generously sized garden...  Maybe beekeeping too!!!  Some time in-between getting land and clearing enough for a house and garden I'd probably go to fashion school and learn how to properly sew, make patterns, create a decent portfolio and then open my own business making menswear sewing patterns and maybe a fabric shop with good quality fabrics on my rez.  Maybe try making a sewing club in the local school too, get more people into sewing clothes.  If it actually were 50 million, that would also help me live in peace without needing to worry about affording food for a long time.  I'd also get all of my surgeries done that I want to do, legally change my name and gender marker on my birth certificate.  I'd also get a load of tattoos that I want.  Whenever I get my driver's license, I'd also get a car.  Not a nice car but one that works since it'd be my first car, nothing fancy maybe a van or suv.  Get a membership with Costco, load up the car with stuff and give it all to my local foodbank since they've helped me so much I ought to return the favour.  Do that a few times a year and give to the local foodbox that happens every December.

All that might make a little dent in my funds but all that will be over a long time, I'd also give to local animal shelters and fulfill people's fundraisers too.

I would first, pay for everything that needs to be replaced/restored on my truck. Yes, my 20 year old shitbox is my first priority. I'll buy my parents a house and then put some away for my own house and 30 some acre property in the future, use it to pay off my college, then I'll give some money to particular people I know and trust who need it for purposes I will not go into for their personal privacy. After that....I'll get myself a horse. :yay: The rest goes into savings.

• 4 months later...
(edited)

Give it all away I know what money does to people it isn't pretty they become filled with greed and self importance. I have no need for money, no need for anything other then what I have right now. There is not a single reason for me to do anything but enjoy now. If I got millions I would give it away as money is not good for the soul I am not bound by its slavery. 

Though if I had to spend it, would spend it on houses then rent them out. Pretty much just use that money to get by living a hippie life while donating it to help people so I'd invest in communities with poverty try to help them build their communities but remind them to not be enslaved to money. You can do good things with money or you can become enslaved, one must always try to free themselves.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1