Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How is season 5 doing for you?

JeyWiz

... and even a kicking musical soundtrack, this season has just done so much more than what I was initially expecting.   With that in mind though, it hasn't been perfect. There's been a share of forgettable episodes; (Appleoosas Most Wanted: utter bore-fest, almost killed CMC for me. What About Discord was pointless. Princess Spike was nothing special & I would've really appreciated a memorable Spike episode.)

The music has been rooftastic!  :lol: I keep going back to my two favorite episodes this season, Crusaders of the Lost Mark and The Mane Attraction. Both are incredible episodes and have spectacular music within. I get teary listening.

I do agree with you on some of the other episodes though. I don't think I really disliked any episode this season, but there were a few I was bleh about. I hadn't been a fan of the CMC before so Appleoosas Most Wanted was just more of the same for me...until the Lost Mark came around. What About Discord was a let down for me because I expected a Discord episode to be more...I don't know. Something. And I'll brohoof you for wanting a more substantial Spike episode. There's a lot of potential for his character. I have a dream!  :D

• Brohoof 1

Its okay. About on par with season 1 to me.

The premier was okay, but not on par with either Princess twilight sparkle or Return of harmony. Its better than The crystal empire, but that's like boasting about beating a downs syndrome child at basketball it was so bad.

There are some good episodes like The lost treasure of griffonstone and Crusaders of the lost mark, but overall it lacks alot of the really big "UMPH" episodes that hit you in the feels as great, like what Wonderbolt academy or Hurricane fluttershy were. I will admit that twilight's actually gotten ALOT better this season since last season since they're allowed her to be flawed again. Still not a great character like she was in S1/S2, but definitely better.

Anyways, overall a big issue is that its meta plot seems like a huge letdown compared to S4's box plot. The whole "Starlight is stalking twilight" thing really wasn't something that I could give a crap about (Oh no! Twilight's evil twin wants revenge against her!), while with the box there was alot of promise and mystery about it. Plus, REALLY not feeling the finale, at ALL.

So, overall its a good season, I'll give it an 8/10. but overall feels dissapointing compared to S2 and S4.

I think it's been great.

• The season premier wasn't as good as the 1st or 2nd season's but better than the 3rd and 4th. 
  • The map plot isn't as good as the keys to the box in season 4 so far.
  • Overall I would place it either in 3rd or 4th place behind season 4 and 2 and ahead of season 3
  • Individual episodes I thought were amazing. The crusaders of the lost arc, the mane attraction and brotherhooves social were stand out. The griffonstone, amending fences, magical sheep and rarity investigates were really good too. 
  • Musically I thought it was the best season so far. Definitely making it very memorable. 

Depending on how the season finale turns out will set make or break the season. 

I think it's been great.

• The season premier wasn't as good as the 1st or 2nd season's but better than the 3rd and 4th. 
  • The map plot isn't as good as the keys to the box in season 4 so far.
  • Overall I would place it either in 3rd or 4th place behind season 4 and 2 and ahead of season 3
  • Individual episodes I thought were amazing. The crusaders of the lost arc, the mane attraction and brotherhooves social were stand out. The griffonstone, amending fences, magical sheep and rarity investigates were really good too. 
  • Musically I thought it was the best season so far. Definitely making it very memorable. 

Depending on how the season finale turns out will set make or break the season. 

I gotta agree about the map, it really seems kind of bland so far. I mean it works as a literary device to make them go out to random locations in equestria for world buidling, but there doesn't seem to be much reason for it to exist in a metapysical importance thing.

Its nice that they've solved those friendship problems, but overall the map seems kind of weak as far as what its importance is.

Eh it's been pretty good for me, only a few minor misses and one major fail, the rest have been very enjoyable, though I will say I feel like people over-hype this season. Overall I feel the writing has gotten a bit more complex as the years go on, both for good and for bad. Tonally and character balance wise, I feel it's far less consistent, with the tone ranging all over the place and far more emphasis placed on Pinkie Pie over all the other Mane 6 this season, which is why Season 2 is still better than this season in my books. But still a very good season. 

Personally, I think season 5 is currently the best season in the show. Tanks for the Memories was genius, Slice of Life was obviously amazing, Amending Fences was fantastic, Crusaders of the Lost Mark was OMGYES, there has been so much good this season that it far outweighs the negatives, like the premiere (I personally did not enjoy it), Appleoosa's Most Wanted and What About Discord.

And the morals this season. The. Morals. They have been absolutely awesome. The writers have been killing it with the morals this season. The morals have been my favorite aspect of season 5, they are that good.

• Brohoof 1

Season 5 so far has been the second-weakest season for me. (Nothing will be quite as bad as season 3.)

Hah, damn isn't that the truth XD

Well, Princess Spike was a miss for me, but I enjoyed Making Amends, cause it showed Twilight fixed her friendships from the beginning and shows of a Brother and Sister thing for Spike.

Bleh, true that. So sad that spike's episode had to be so poor this season :(

I'm enjoying season 5. There are a few meh/filler episodes in there but other than that it's pretty good. I personally so far have only disliked two episodes (Applelooza's Most Wanted and Princess Spike), and the ones that I find meh just aren't as exciting as the other ones. Even ones like Slice of Life and Magic Sheep well having problems with really pushing the fan pandering I still got at least minimum enjoyment right now. Also, a few of these episode have made it to my top 10 favorite episodes of the whole show.

Also, I love Pinkie's characterization this season. I think the writers took some of the criticism of her character from season 4 and improved it here. It also does feel like the mane six are getting equal screen time (though I can't say the same thing about Spike).

I will say, the second half of the season is a lot better than the first half. Even the not as good episodes in the second half aren't really that bad.

There should be a Spike episode that shows that he's just as important.

Well we had Power ponies to do that in S4, focusing on him being valued and important to the team even if he's not as Powerful as the others (He's not an EOH member being kind of a paralell to not having any powers)

I wouldn't mind another episode like that, but they'd have to be careful not to repeat that episode's moral XD

The first half was quite obviously the weaker one, with more "meh" episodes. The second though...

Oh man. The CMC got their cutie marks, Cadence is having a baby, Rarity has a boutique in Canterlot, and Rainbow Dash is practically a wonderbolt.

They smacked in as many major things as they could in these episodes, and it is incredible!

And the morals this season. The. Morals. They have been absolutely awesome. The writers have been killing it with the morals this season.

Excuse me?! Season 5 is chock full of horrible advice and predatory logic:

The Cutie Map: You only have special talents and defining personality traits when someone else allows you to, unless you overpower them with deceit and violence.

Princess Spike: If an adult forces a massive responsibility onto you, a small child, and does nothing when you clearly can't handle it, it's your own damn fault for your inevitable failure.

Amending Fences: It's your fault if an old friend you slighted or abandoned cuts off contact with every single person she knows just because she's mad at you, whom she never tried to contact despite your being publicly available at any waking hour.

Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?: You can easily escape all your overwhelming guilt by telling yourself you won't feel guilty anymore -- all of your "demons" will just poof out of existence.

Canterlot Boutique: You can have your cake and eat it too if only you act entitled enough (every Rarity episode...)

Crusaders of the Lost Mark: Young children dependent upon but abused by their families just need to talk back to their parents to be free of the cycle of abuse.

What About Discord?: If someone intentionally goes behind your back to exclude you from your group of friends, spends an entire day getting all of them to rub it in your face, and tries yet again to kick you out when you're trying to catch up, it's your fault for getting jealous.

• Brohoof 1

Excuse me?! Season 5 is chock full of horrible advice and predatory logic:

The Cutie Map: You only have special talents and defining personality traits when someone else allows you to, unless you overpower them with deceit and violence.

Princess Spike: If an adult forces a massive responsibility onto you, a small child, and does nothing when you clearly can't handle it, it's your own damn fault for your inevitable failure.

Amending Fences: It's your fault if an old friend you slighted or abandoned cuts off contact with every single person she knows just because she's mad at you, whom she never tried to contact despite your being publicly available at any waking hour.

Do Princesses Dream Of Magic Sheep?: You can easily escape all your overwhelming guilt by telling yourself you won't feel guilty anymore -- all of your "demons" will just poof out of existence.

Canterlot Boutique: You can have your cake and eat it too if only you act entitled enough (every Rarity episode...)

Crusaders of the Lost Mark: Young children dependent upon but abused by their families just need to talk back to their parents to be free of the cycle of abuse.

What About Discord?: If someone intentionally goes behind your back to exclude you from your group of friends, spends an entire day getting all of them to rub it in your face, and tries yet again to kick you out when you're trying to catch up, it's your fault for getting jealous.

I didn't say EVERY moral was handled well. For example I do think that What about Discord had a terrible moral and was all around a bad episode. The ones that are great though, are really, really great.

Starting your post with 'Excuse me?!' really did not give me a good vibe.