Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did your parents react when you first told them you were a brony?

ShadowStorm

90 users have voted

1. 1. Have you told your parents that you were a Brony?

• Yes
    • No

Ah, man, I told them in a restaurant. It was awesome. I pulled out an obscure reference, and it was all fun and games from there. Best night of my life. My parents were a little shocked at first, but they got over it quickly because they're great people.

I didn't necessarily say "I'm a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic".

I just started bringing home MLP merchandise and my parents were like "Oh. She likes My Little Pony. Cool"

when I told them i expected the worst because being the younger of three boys (me and my two older brothers) I was afraid of my dad my mom was alright with it and surprising  enough so was my dad through my brothers thinks it is gay.

My dad didn't care. He knew my reasons. I'm not like the rest of you; I started watching this little kids' cartoon out of high-minded idealism.

...Which is reeaallyy stupid when you think about it.

Anyhow, the old man didn't even blink, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I got him into it too. AJ was his favorite.

• Brohoof 3

I never told them and I never plan to. Why should I have to? I mean I never told them I'm bisexual either, I just went out with a member of the same sex at one point and they never cared. If they see me doing something brony-like, I doubt they'll care... but I won't let it slip around my sister. She gives me hell about everything and hates the idea of MLP (has never seen it), and I just don't want that added to the headache she already gives me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure neither of them really minded it, even though I only told my mother, and my father (probably?) just found out through seeing a pony drawing I made x3

They thought I was pulling their legs. My brother had told them about it as a way to torment me, so I had to explain it. When they found out I had written several articles about MLP, they realized that I wasn’t kidding.

They both asked if I was gay, and why I would watch it, but they didn't want to hear what I had to say. When my brother admitted that he also kinda liked the show, my mom started taking it more seriously.

My dad still doesn't approve of it, but oh well. At least now I can watch MLP on the living room TV rather than my beat up 3DS.

Well I didnt tell my parents so they kind of found out of their own. I didnt try to hide it I just didn't see the purpose of telling them. Once they found out my parents thought I was going crazy XD My bother was actually pretty chill about it and he supports me. He even once bought me a Rainbow Dash energy drink on his trip to vegas :P he wanted to buy me the entirety of the mane 6 but they only make Rainbow Dash cans XD

I don't know if I necessarily told them, but my mom found out about it. She didn't care. Nor did my father. Thank you, God, for my parents. :love:

In fact, my dad actually inspired me not to stop being a brony at one point when I got discouraged from the community for whatever reason. I don't remember. He told me that all groups of people have bad eggs, or something along those lines. He didn't say it exactly like that, but you get the picture.

But I would react just like my parents. I wouldn't care, because my family's choice in television entertainment is quite irrelevant. Besides, I'm boyish enough. We were playing GTA 4 when this discussion came up, so...yeah.

• 1 year later...

Told my mom. She was fine with it. I was ordering my first MLP merch and my mom asked when they were supposed to arrive. My dad walked in and asked what was coming? My mom told him "His brony merchandise." My dad didn't know what a brony was so my mom told him. I said NOTHING because I didn't know how he was gonna react. He just plain and simply said, "I've watched an episode of that show before, not for me though." But I can clearly tell that he still hasn't accepted that I'm a brony yet.

On 11/30/2015 at 10:24 PM, Daring_Do said:

My dad didn't care. He knew my reasons. I'm not like the rest of you; I started watching this little kids' cartoon out of high-minded idealism.

...Which is reeaallyy stupid when you think about it.

Anyhow, the old man didn't even blink, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I got him into it too. AJ was his favorite.

I started watching the show because I didn't want to judge the show before seeing it so I went and watched it. Saw the first two episodes and a few months later I saw the third so from then on I continued watching the show.

They didn't mind, nor did they have much of a thought on it. My dad was a bit concerned about me wearing pony merch but that's about it. My mom even watched some of the show afterwards and she likes it. So I'd say that is pretty decent.

My parents know I'm a pegasister and they don't care at all. I guess mostly because I'm a girl. But I consider myself lucky to have an awesome mom and dad who support me and everything I like. 

• Brohoof 1

They just took it as another sudden interest of mine, they probably saw it the same way they saw my obsession with Lilo & Stitch. Since I had that strong interest in collecting MLP merch back then, they sometimes bought me something pony-related as presents. They didn't think it was weird even when my brother bought a pony figure.

I know I already posted here, but some things changed.

My mom is still lenient about it, but my dad never knew before he died in a car crash.

Yes, my dad knows. Of course my mom died due to a side effect of Warfarin (Blood clotting in her brain).

My dad to me was a little bit insensitive about it and I got made fun of for it, not in the nicest way either... Though he's silent about it now because he's far more concerned with his garden and his farm animals (Pigs, Chickens, Turkeys, and Goats...). He talks about that 90% of the time. He's even worse than I am about video games and cartoons combined...

My parents were surprised that I watch something like this, but then they even tried to watch an episode or two (I didn't ask them). They were not impressed, but now they are completely OK with the fact that I'm into ponies, although frowning on how much money I spend on toys.

Heh, no drama here.

It was 2011, and I walked up to my mom like, "Dude, mom, they made a new My Little Pony, and it's GOOD. And the best part there's a bunch of grown dudes who are getting into it! It's great! XD"

Her reaction was like, "Really? That's interesting!!"

Most of my brony merchandise was purchased for me by this woman. She hand-made an MLP blanket for my bed. AND she hunted down an Ahuizotl plushie for me as a gift. XD

Edited by ShadOBabe

that's a funny story actually. I wasn't planning on telling them but my mom and dad got curious with who I was talking all of the time and with who I was skyping. I just told them they were friends but they weren't satisfied and wanted to know from where I knew them, I said 'the internet' because I can't lie but again, that wasn't enough so they asked where from the internet and then I told them about the forums and that I liked My Little pony. 

first there was silence, then my dad said "but you don't like that stuff" but then my mom porred him and said "oh shut up, if she likes that then she likes that" and then I laughed. 

that's it, no drama, just acceptance. I love my parents XD