Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did your parents react when you first told them you were a brony?

ShadowStorm

90 users have voted

1. 1. Have you told your parents that you were a Brony?

• Yes
    • No

Well, first it was my brother that found out. I was drawing a pony and he said "please don't tell me you watch that stupid show?" At first I had said no but the next time he saw me drawing a pony he asked the exact same question and I didn't stay anything. He just rolled his eyes and went back to his work but I felt like I was about to cry. As the day went on I dreaded my parents coming home because being the tattletale my brother is I knew he would tell them. So I wasn't around when he told them because I was down in my room but after a while my mom came down and talked to me for a bit. Then after she walked out she came back in and told me that my brother told her, and she said that it wasn't any cause for concern. Then she went on to say if I were a guy though she might be and I was just thinking 'but I have BROny friends...' she doesn't really know that I'm a Pegasistter just that I like to watch mlp. My dad knows to but he just feels the same way that my mom does. I will never tell my oldest brother though because he always is getting on to me about growing up... this would not help my case... but I do love my family and am so glad they still accept me. I just wish they could embrace me for this though.

• Brohoof 1

My mum was cool with it and agreed to buy a couple of season box-sets.

My dad I never bothered telling (because he's not the parent responsible for buying me things), and he found out a few months later when my mum mentioned that I was nagging her to buy me Season 3 ("He's nagging you for it?!"  ^_^). He shows no antagonism towards the idea either.

It actually surprises me the number of parents who are openly against the idea of their kids being a brony on this thread. :eww:

My mom was completely okay with it. She told me if it makes me happy and I don't get hurt, then she supports me. My dad didn't really say anything, but I felt like he didn't like the fact that I was a brony. After some time, he accepted that I was a brony and was okay with it. 

(edited)

I haven't exactly told them, main reason being that it's not that big of deal. But they both have seen my pony wallpapers and they and my sister have seen one of my pony drawings and they couldn't care less.

I'm pretty sure that they have no idea what brony even is.

Edited by The Cerberus

My dad after I first told him: "My Little Pony? How do you like ponies? I don't understand why you'd wanna watch something like that"

My dad after showing him the "Babs Seed" song:  "Oh, I see how you'd be into this, lol"

My mom after I first told her: "What's My Little Pony"?

My mom after showing her some clips: "OMG! They are so cute!"

My parents asked me why I liked MLP and I told them that I enjoy it, Because it lacks what modern tv shows need like good story-telling, and character development.

There's also the fact that usually an episode before will get refenced again like pinkie sense stuff that's minor but still makes a diffence

They don't care all that much, really. It's a show I happen to like, and that it's about technicolor cartoon ponies really doesn't matter much other than the occasional chuckle.

mine where highly confused but now its just normal.

When my sister and I had it on the TV one day, Mum came in and just looked confused asking if it was my little pony, because she knew we hated the original series. But she knows we like cartoons in general so just shrugged it off. 

They were surprised I still love Pokemon too recently. But ponies are now a normal thing and they dont question it. Mum just really hates big giant eyed cartoons. 

When i told my dad about it, he started to laugh slightly and asked me, if thats really what i want to be doing. I told him, i cant just watch Horror Movies all the time and..i dont know, i think he just forgot about it.

My Mother also kinda laughed at first, but actually watched an Episode with me and thought it was cute.

They didnt laughed about me, but..im not sure how to describe it...i dont know. I think, they didnt believed me at first.

• 1 year later...

My parents aren't aware of this brony thing so

1725936035_rainbowdashshrug.thumb.png.ee4fc131c64c3d86b99d82226fc8a54b.png

I mean I never told them, but they do know about my MLP brushable figure. Hopefully they think it's just one of the collectable random stuff I keep. My Rainbow Dash plushie is arriving in a couple of days tho, but I guess they wouldn't mind too much. To be honest they probably won't care since Rainbow Dash is blue and isn't obviously "little girly".

• Brohoof 1

I don't think mine even really grasp what Brony means, but I was enough of an entertainment deviant as a little kid, and then a spiritual one in my late teens, so I don't know if anything could shock them at this point. Overall though at this point with all the Hell I've been through, I think they'd just prefer I find happiness than worry about stigmas and weird social rules.

Though... I still wonder if my RBdash Daki (suitable for work FYI) would freak them out. I don't know if by some freak chance they've seen it, and I'm not about to ask. B)

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 1

I never told them cause I never hid it. I openly watched MLP in my house. And when they walked by and saw me watching, they were like "Oookay then...whatever. Not the weirdest thing you've watched." 

• Brohoof 1

I haven't told my mother but I don't feel the need to. It's well known by my family members and even coworkers that I watch cartoons. I have 2 MLP:FiM coffee cups that sit on my desk at work out in the open.