Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on CollegeHumor's video about us?

JeyWiz

CollegeHumor, a popular comedy YouTube channel posted this video called "My Little Brony" which offended a lot of fans, since it shows false stereotypes about the fandom, like they were fat neck beards, they liked raping ponies, they were gross etc. If you've seen it before, what are your opinions on the video?

Edited by Ravelicious

That video was hilarious.

I wasn't offended by it because I know that there are tons of people out there who don't understand the fandom, and that doesn't bother me. If they want to buy into the stereotypes, that's fine with me. As long as I know who I am, I won't let a video like that offend me.

• Brohoof 8

I actually really love that video because it's so funny.  I think it's just satirical and not meant to be an attack on bronies, so I can appreciate the humor.  Some people seem to take it too seriously, though, including both bronies and non-bronies.

• Brohoof 3

It's funny, but it does slam the fandom a little. If they had kept the sexual things out of it, I would be able to respect it. As it is, it's still funny, but it does feel like a bit of a low blow.

As a side not, I'd never let anyone who had been eating Cheetos get within five feet of my Pinkie Pie plush. I think we generally take better care of our merch than the kids do.

• Brohoof 5

I wasn't offended by the video but I didn't really find it all that funny. Collegehumor's videos tend to be very hit or miss for me. It's just my subjective preference of humor, but there are many ways to make jokes about the fandom and that video chose only one, and it's the easiest joke to make.
  • Brohoof 2

It's funny, but it does slam the fandom a little. If they had kept the sexual things out of it, I would be able to respect it. As it is, it's still funny, but it does feel like a bit of a low blow.

As a side not, I'd never let anyone who had been eating Cheetos get within five feet of my Pinkie Pie plush. I think we generally take better care of our merch than the kids do.

Does or does not this fandom insist that sexualizing the ponies is normal and acceptable? You can't have it both ways.

If you want something really insulting, don't go further than the "infamous Law & Order episode".

Is that their worst video? What happens there?

Edited by Ravelicious

I for one didn't like it. But then again, I don't particularly like College Humor in general. I have found entertainment in maybe a few of their videos, but I think the method of poking fun at something just by blowing stereotypes out of proportion simply isn't funny.

And I won't lie and say I wasn’t offended by it the first few times I watched it. Oh well, I'm not perfect. But I know that it's satire and not meant to be taken seriously. I got over it.

• Brohoof 2

Its one of those things where its not the definition of what we are but stigmatized things about us, there is all ways something that is over perpetuated about one group in the eyes of an other.

Edited by flutersparkle
  • Brohoof 1

I liked it when I first saw it, but then I stopped enjoying it after I realized that it's pretty much the same joke I've heard millions of times before bronies even existed (it's probably the most vanilla joke about nerds in a way). That's the same reason why I didn't take offense to it either. It's almost impossible for me to take offense to something I've heard a lot, even though I was never offended by that joke at all. I have enjoyed quite a few CollegeHumor videos though, and I'm really liking Adam Ruins Everything.

• Brohoof 3

I never watched the entire video, but I wasn't offended by the part that I did see. It's satire. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Does or does not this fandom insist that sexualizing the ponies is normal and acceptable? You can't have it both ways.

Some bronies are okay with it, some bronies aren't. You can have it both ways.

I never watched the entire video, but I wasn't offended by the part that I did see. It's satire. It's not meant to be taken seriously.

Some bronies are okay with it, some bronies aren't. You can have it both ways.

Well, which category do you fall into? And which does Attack of the Pwns fall into?

From my experience, the prevailing opinion is in favor of it, while dissenting views are frowned upon as intolerant.

Well, which category do you fall into? And which does Attack of the Pwns fall into?

From my experience, the prevailing opinion is in favor of it, while dissenting views are frowned upon as intolerant.

I'm okay with it because I expect it. If a franchise gets popular on the internet, there will be R34 of it. It's unavoidable. As for Attack of the Pwns, you'll have to ask him/her. Keep in mind that Pwns only said that he/she would've prefered if College Humor left the sexualization out of the video. Pwns didn't say if he/she was okay with it or not.

I think you're right about the prevailing opininon. Whenever I see a brony who complains about the sexualization of the ponies, he/she usually gets some flak from other bronies.

• Brohoof 2

I'm okay with it because I expect it. If a franchise gets popular on the internet, there will be R34 of it. It's unavoidable. As for Attack of the Pwns, you'll have to ask him/her. Keep in mind that Pwns only said that he/she would've prefered if College Humor left the sexualization out of the video. Pwns didn't say if he/she was okay with it or not.

I think you're right about the prevailing opininon. Whenever I see a brony who complains about the sexualization of the ponies, he/she usually gets some flak from other bronies.

The whole sexualization of ponies grosses me out, and so does the violence with ponies. But my reason is a little developed. I find the show to be an innocent getaway from the real world, and when you have people who corrupt it, they can cause a lot of negative results, and the scarring of some people who enjoy the show for what it stands for purely

Now, I say this not to rage or vent, just my opinion. Do I hate the people who made that stuff? No. But I do hate what they made, and I want it all to burn in an eternal flame pit. :3 where it belongs. (Wonder if I'll get flak for this post XD)

Edited by Overlord0909
  • Brohoof 4

Well, there are two of them. While I wasn't offended by the first one, I didn't find it that funny - mainly because it went with a 'general neckbeard' stereotype rather than mocking specific things in the fandom. Makes it seem kinda lazy. The second one however... is bloody hilarious and absolutely spot on. Although the things they say don't apply to everyone, I'd be very hard pushed to say I haven't seen examples of every point they raise. Not to mention the idea of 'My Little Brony' toys and the Mother's Basement Playset.

• Brohoof 1

I've never watched it before.

I can't believe they did something like that. Do they realize how offensive that is, and the wonderful community they just bashed?

JK

This was my first time watching the 2 videos, I found it hilarious tbh. No doubt, a lot of bronies are exactly like that. I know what it's like to be racially criticized, so I'm used to stuff like that. but I do think it was funny. You can't be offended by everything people will say about you, or people in your "group". No matter how "perfect" or "imperfect" you are, there will always be someone who finds a problem with you. 

You can replace every supposed "Brony reference" in that video with a Star Trek reference, and the jokes would still have the same punchline. I watched it expecting a skewering, and instead I was simply underwhelmed. I'm impossible to offend, and I pride myself on that fact, but that doesn't mean I laugh at every joke that tries.

Now the second one, on the other hand, is fucking genius. It actually satirizes the fandom it aims at, instead of just making generic nerd jokes.

• Brohoof 1

The whole sexualization of ponies grosses me out, and so does the violence with ponies. But my reason is a little developed. I find the show to be an innocent getaway from the real world, and when you have people who corrupt it, they can cause a lot of negative results, and the scarring of some people who enjoy the show for what it stands for purely

Now, I say this not to rage or vent, just my opinion. Do I hate the people who made that stuff? No. But I do hate what they made, and I want it all to burn in an eternal flame pit. :3 where it belongs. (Wonder if I'll get flak for this post XD)

I can respect that. Some bronies aren't okay with it, and that's fine.

I kinda regret using the word "flak" in that other post, though. Some bronies can try to defend pony sexualization when someone doesn't agree with it, but I've never seen a full-blown argument about it.

• Brohoof 1

I can respect that. Some bronies aren't okay with it, and that's fine.

I kinda regret using the word "flak" in that other post, though. Some bronies can try to defend pony sexualization when someone doesn't agree with it, but I've never seen a full-blown argument about it.

Nah, I've seen flak. And been on the receiving end of it. One time Equestria Daily had a newspost, right, about some pony sites that got DDOSed. One of them was an R34 site. So I made a pretty innocent, civil comment about that. Some guy replied to me being incredibly hostile, with an F-bomb and everything. (At least 2 F-bombs, actually, now that I remember.)

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 1