Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unpopular/uncommon video game opinions

BastementSparkle

I'd wager that this is a somewhat popular opinion. I remember one time I posted on a Nintendo forum that I didn't really care for Kirby Air Ride and I got all kinds of hate for that. =/

Bring me to your people of Air Ride loving fans!!!

Jak 2 and Jak 3 were both better than the original, they only added to the amount of options you had, while maintaining the core elements.

I'm not sure how unpopular of an opinion this is. From what I've seen it's pretty split down the middle on this, with some people loving Jak 1, and others loving Jak 2/3. That said I love all three games, and the tonal shift is one of my favorite parts of the series. It makes me appreciate both the light-hearted fun of the original, and the darker nature of the later games more. Makes me think of another unpopular opinion though...

-Jak X: Combat Racing is yet another severely underrated racing game. From what I know even Naughty Dog themselves doesn't seem to like it, and I'm stumped as to why. The soundtrack isn't amazing but it fits the game greatly, the story is pretty fun and works well for what it is, there's a lot of customization for the cars, lot's of variety with races, treasure hunts, arena battles, time trials, and all sorts of different challenges, the game is fast and there's plenty of weapons and traps to use that are all pretty fun.

The original Final Fantasy IV hasn't aged well one bit. I think the GBA remake was the superior remake (never played the DS one...yet).

Knight Rider on the NES, despite being loosely based on the series, isn't as bad as everyone makes it as. It's an average game, but fun to kill time with once you master the gameplay. (the time limits were waaaaaaay too strict in International versions)

While the gameplay is more refined, I feel Pokémon games are too easy these days. Especially if it's X & Y. Furthermore, I honestly didn't like BW1 too much because of it being artificially difficult from the lack of level grinding before the final bosses. BW2 was far better with that.

I honestly never cared for the Wii remote.

Fan translations with unneeded amount of swearing ruins the experience. Especially when the translators throw it for the sake of edginess.

Zelda II isn't that bad of a game. The gameplay needed more refinement and polish, and not having to retrace your steps from North Castle every damn time you continue/get game over.

First person shooters aren't that appealing to me anymore.

Edited by Kelldrick

This is actually becoming a more and more common opinion:

The core Pokemon games are far less challenging than they were before. It sucks.

Well, let's see. 

FNAF is a flash game. It's not worth the money or the time or the hype.

Pokemon isn't great.

Undertale is overrated (calm down, fanbase. It's a good game, but your memes are everywhere)

Minecraft is utterly and truly dead as a game.

All console games are crappy.

Games that focus on killing all the little monsters to death until they die of deadly death aren't fun.

Pong is awesome and you all don't know it. Tetris is also great.

Halo is not a good game series, no matter how many naked, tit-bearing AIs Microsoft puts in it. (Seriously, get rid of your obsession with Cortana, Microsoft, it's just creepy at this point)

-The roguelite/like genre is the most overrated genre to me

Rougelites are one of my favorite game genre's, especially since the Binding of Isaac is my favorite game ever. I can sort of understand though, there's been a huge influx in them lately, when it sort of feels like we really only need a few good ones. But there's just something super appealing about what's essentially an infinitely replayable game.

• Brohoof 1

Nothing interesting has been done with first-person shooters in 15 years. Doom 1 and 2, the Quake series, Heretic, Clive Barker's Undying: all great games that basically maxed out the fun factor of the genre. Newer FPS series couldn't offer us anything beyond better graphics, more weapons, and more complicated controls. That's cool, but not worth shelling out for when you can play the old games online for little or no money.

Clive Barker's Undying

I beg to differ - Undying started off awesome, but then it just sort of tapered off into a slogging morass and just kept going down. I would love a proper remake, though.

Also, there's Spec Ops: The Line. It's not a fun game {or at least it shouldn't be}, but it is very different from other shooters I've played. Which truthfully aren't many of, mainly because by and large, your point does stand.

Edited by Quinch
  • Brohoof 1

I couple of recent games that have sadly fallen under the radar.

Divinity: Original Sin:  This game has what might be the best combat system ever incorporated into an RPG and some really interesting exploration elements.  Its probably the closest a video game has ever felt to playing a pen and paper RPG.  It is even co-op, it is just a shame it is so obscure because I can't find anyone to play the game with.

Heroes of the Storm:  Its a MOBA that doesn't waist your time with BS busy work like last hits and actually includes more than one map.  Great if you can get some friends together and play against other humans (bots just don't cut it).  You would think it would have made a bigger splash seeing as its a Blizzard property, but I rarely see it mentioned.

Stardrive 2:  A really fun if buggy conquer the galaxy sort of game.  Design spaceships, colonize planets, develop technology, sacrifice aliens to dark gods and conquer the galaxy.  Its got sort of a miniature scandal surrounding it though.

- Final Fantasy IV, VIII and X are better than VI, VII and IX(Tactics is still the best FF tho)

I have actually never played VIII or X before but I found IV kind of bland.  Don't get me wrong, it was competently designed with some strong storytelling, good character arcs and a serviceable combat system, but the actual game play is kind of weak.  Compare to VI that combined a solid story with excellent game play thanks to a huge range of options in combat, some really interesting and organic mini-games and a strong exploration element and to VII which shared these same elements to a lesser extent.  It is better than IX though, I will give it that, but IX had combat that was painful to sit through and an unfocused and bizarre story line that just didn't leave you satisfied upon completion, so its not exactly a high bar.  Final Fantasy Tactics is awesome, of course.

I appreciate the Donkey Kong Country series.  Or, at least, DKC, DKC2 (less than DKC), DKCR, and DKC:TF.  So...  Okay, most of them. xD  But I very much disagree on the point of "controls."  DKC has always had comparatively loose or floaty controls, and there's often an ability that isn't particularly useful - or whose use ends up stopping the flow of a stage dead in its tracks.  The mechanics of the roll jump and barrel-handling have always been a little eyebrow-raising (though never really bad), and there are several animal steeds throughout the series that should have been omitted on the grounds of controls alone.  I won't go into wonky hit detection / hit boxes.

I agree with Ziggy, I never felt Donkey Kong Country measured up to the likes of Mario 3.  I didn't help that I had a Nintendo Power subscription at the time and they hyped it like it was the second coming of Christ.  When I finally tried it it was just another platformer and never did anything for me.

Fallout 4 is not the "Best Game Ever Made." It's plagued with bugs, glitches, and instability.

Absolutely true, but still a blast to play.  Combat is better than ever as is crafting, although the dialogue system is terrible.

Rougelites are one of my favorite game genre's, especially since the Binding of Isaac is my favorite game ever. I can sort of understand though, there's been a huge influx in them lately, when it sort of feels like we really only need a few good ones. But there's just something super appealing about what's essentially an infinitely replayable game.

I think problem with Roguelikes is that they are just to easy to make.  Why actually craft a world, story and setting when you can just have some algorithm randomly cobble together map after map?  While theoretically infinite, I find they all tend to get samey and tedious after a while.  I think I rather somebody spend the time and effort to craft an actual setting and game world for me.  Sure I will beat the game eventually, but it isn't like there is any shortage of other games on Steam you can pick up for cheap.  I will always remember Britannia and all of its individual towns and even some of its citizens from the Ultima series.  I do not remember procedurally generated castle #7 from Rogue Legacy or floor 8 from Dungeons of Dredmore.  

Edited by Twilight Dirac
  • Brohoof 2

Zelda II isn't that bad of a game. The gameplay needed more refinement and polish, and not having to retrace your steps from North Castle every damn time you continue/get game over.

"The Adventure of Link" is actually one of my favorite Zelda titles.  I like that it's an oddity in the series, and I'm quite fond of the soundtrack.  Despite the emphasis on action and the integration of experience gaining / stat leveling, it felt more like an adventure to me in some ways than the first entry.

Why actually craft a world, story and setting when you can just have some algorithm randomly cobble together map after map?

This certainly doesn't apply to my favorites from the genre, like the Binding of Isaac or Nuclear Throne, which are both pretty filled with memorable things. Music, enemy and boss designs, items and weapons, and settings are all things I remember a lot from those games. Nothing quite like Unloading Double Double-Miniguns in Nuclear Throne, or Vomiting knives up into Satan's face. Isaac alone is memorable just by how cartoonishly disturbing it is.

Random generation doesn't have to prevent a game from having memorable locations, enemies, or stories, it's simply that the developer has to find a way to fit random generation in with those things. If they can't do that, that's a problem with laziness more so than with the genre itself.

Edited by BasementBloom

Everyone seems to think Watch Dogs was a terrible game, but I thought it was a very good game. The problem is that it was way over-hyped and everyone had super high expectations for it.

I also love the new Star Wars Battlefront, but a lot of people don't like it. Same with the Sims 4. I love it, but people have a lot of problems with it. I'm not the only one who liked those two games. They kind of have mixed reviews.

The lack of postgame content is killing pokemon generation 6. XY and OrAs didnt have close to the amount of effort gamefreak put into the gold and silver remakes. They had so much postgame content and extras that weren't even a part of the original, there's no excuse for how they plopped in an exact copy of the battle Maison and called it a day.

First person shooters are my least favourite genre. Bonus points to subtract if the game features zombies or a realistic war scenario.

The Gameboy Advance SP was the greatest handheld game console ever created.

Digimon was better than pokemon, even 20 years ago!

*ducks for cover*

Edited by Celtore

I actually liked Resident Evil 6 despite all the hate the game received from RE fans and critics alike. I know it had a lot of flaws and was more of an action game than a "survival horror" game, but it was still fun to play(I especially enjoyed the co-op aspect of the game).

I'm with you there. It's probably my favorite in the series and I want the rest of the games to be updated to play more like it.

Maybe that's what the RE2 remake will be like. They said they weren't just gonna do another REmake with it. Sounded like they were gonna do something new.

I never really saw that much appeal in Sonic. I'll admit, it's a pretty fun time waster but not exactly a game I'd write home about as one of the greatest games ever made. 

Undertale is a great game but sadly, it's falling under the unfortunate trap of the fanbase getting too big for its britches.

I actually quite like the Wii U. It may not have the best games, but they're still as enjoyable as games I typically get from Nintendo. However, the way Nintendo markets it is terrible and they don't even bother giving it enough widespread appeal.

I don't think Pokemon and Digimon should really be compared. Now, I'm kind of cheating a little by going off their animes but from what I've seen of both, they're nothing like each other at all and should really not be compared on the same level. I think the only reason they were ever compared as rivals is because of the way they were marketed in America back in the 90s. I'm pretty sure in Japan, they aren't really compared that much.

This might seem a bit childish, but difficulty does effect my enjoyment of a game. A game can have a great story, great characters, etc. But it's hard to really get to whole grasp of it when it's too difficult to even beat. I'm missing out on so much fan fics and fan interactions all because of a boss I couldn't beat (Looking at you Freedom Planet).

• Brohoof 1

-I may like the games, but I don't like generic, one dimensional, or just avatars pretending to be anything but, like Dante, Kratos, Gordon Freeman, or Link (:taking cover:), while having great characters like Carl Johnson, Joel, Solid Snake, Big Boss, Gabriel Belmont (despite the negativity of people not looking over Lords of Shadow being it's own game)

-I think Nintendo it's keeping itself due to it's legacy, but I don't think it's great anymore, specially with their long term of cash grab

-most FPS are pretty boring and uninspiring nowadays

-I won't claim Terraria is better than Minecraft as I haven't played the later, but it didn't caught my attention

-I can't stand cheap difficulty

-I don't mind short games, as long as the price is right

• Brohoof 1

-I feel like not liking FPS games isn't an unpopular opinion anymore.

-Shadow is one of my least favorite Sonic characters. Pretty much everything about him makes him seem like Sega was trying real hard to make a generic "edgy!1" character, from his design to his personality. Not to mention, his game just made that point even more clear.

-Most games from the 80's and before don't really interest me that much. There are some I like such as the classic Mario and Mega Man games, but other than that, I feel things didn't really get "great" until the SNES and Genesis era.

-Some bad games such as Big Rigs and Superman 64 can actually be fun to play just because of how bad they are xd.

-I prefer SSB4 over Melee.

• Brohoof 2

Fan translations with unneeded amount of swearing ruins the experience. Especially when the translators throw it for the sake of edginess.

:33 > that's a thing????

All console games are crappy.

Games that focus on killing all the little monsters to death until they die of deadly death aren't fun.

Halo is not a good game series, no matter how many naked, tit-bearing AIs Microsoft puts in it. (Seriously, get rid of your obsession with Cortana, Microsoft, it's just creepy at this point)

1. Do you have a good sense of every console game ever? Do you really? Cos I don't think you dooooooooooo

2. Doom. I don't even need to begin to say anything more.

3. Cortana isn't naked. She just isn't wearing any clothes.

Nothing interesting has been done with first-person shooters in 15 years. Doom 1 and 2, the Quake series, Heretic, Clive Barker's Undying: all great games that basically maxed out the fun factor of the genre. Newer FPS series couldn't offer us anything beyond better graphics, more weapons, and more complicated controls. That's cool, but not worth shelling out for when you can play the old games online for little or no money.

Half Life 2 was 2004 (12 years ago). Your point still stands.

Also, extra addendum on people not liking first person shooters.

I think the issue is that people seem to have forgotten that you can do more than 2 categories of shooter (war setting and aliens).

What I mean is that when I think first person shooter, the thing that seems to pop into the heads of people who don't like them is this, while I think this.

I think video games are overrated.

you're totally getting a rage pie.

to the face.

not from me im nice

But you will from me because I'm not nice and video games are my life. I'LL NOT HAVE YOU SLANDER THE NAME OF THE GAMER.

And if you can't tell I'm joking well...this spoiler is here for you just in case. :D