Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unpopular/uncommon video game opinions

BastementSparkle

(edited)

I hate to say it but I sort of feel like I'm getting out of PC gaming. I still recognize that it does have pretty substantial benefits over console gaming but I have to admit that it's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes when it comes to trying to get things to work right and having to upgrade and swap out parts of your PC. Especially now that I'm working and I just want to sit down, relax, maybe lay in bed and play something (not to mention the community can be hella toxic).

Edited by ExpitheCat
  • Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, ExpitheCat said:

not to mention the community can be hella toxic).

That's every gaming community, and PC is far from the worst. I'd argue sony ponies are worse. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2016-03-24 at 8:35 PM, Kyoshi said:

Telltale's The Walking Dead season 1, looking back on it, it actually is very lackluster. There are plenty of incredibly stupid moments created just for the whole 'choice' aspect, but NONE of your choices mean anything in season 1.

It felt like none of my choices meant much in the Telltale Back to the Future or Batman games except for a couple changes to the end of episode dialogue. 

I find "movie games" or "show games" to be charming despite the unoriginal premise. Really as long as the experience is enjoyable, that's all that matters. Take for example the Ratatouille game for the PS2. Yes the story follows the movie, but there's so many adventure segments and so much focus on actual gameplay that it doesn't feel like I'm just watching a cheaper version of the movie. 

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I just remembered something unpopular I was thinking about after seeing a post from @ExplosionMare.

I prefer the Mario spinoff like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis over the main Mario adventure games. 

Me too honestly, since I can easily get frustrated with Mario Bros. At least in the spin-offs, the loss isn't too great since there isn't a life system.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, ExplosionMare said:

Me too honestly, since I can easily get frustrated with Mario Bros. At least in the spin-offs, the loss isn't too great since there isn't a life system.

You just made me think of another unpopular opinion! I prefer games that don't give you a limited number of lives. :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

Project zomboid. Someone recommended me this zombie survival after playing don't starve. But it turned out be a mindless chore simulator. So much that I felt like a zombie while playing it. Just replace "braaains" with "task maaaaanaaagement".
They added so much homework and annoying micromanagement, that it was boredom what ended up killing my character in the end.
And it was such a bare-bones experience, too. There was no reward or event variety to incentivise continuing with this pointless exercise of repetitive survival. Like the sims, but your character is alone in the world.
Just a matter of design philosophy, I guess. "Yeah, let's add all the thankless chores of life into a video game, but forget about the fun". A zombifying experience, indeed.
Also, this was quite a few years ago, so I don't know what they added to the game since then. A friend who still plays it says it is better because there are cars now. So, yeah. I just had to lie to him, like "Yeah, that sounds... exiting" as I walked backwards towards the door. But then his head started turning 360°. "What happened?", "Don't you like the zombie void?", "This is all there is to it", "This is it, little child", "This is IT!!!". And then I woke up, and realized it was all just a bad dream. I was in the bad dream already. Writing about a bad game.

• Brohoof 1

In-game chat and lobbies can die, at least in PvP games where toxicity is extremely common. "Good old days" my rear, I've been playing online FPS since around 2008, maybe it was better before then, but at least in my experience there was never anything "good" about interacting with people at all.

• Brohoof 1

• Spore is the greatest game EA has ever made, even if it didn't go for the more scientific route it was going for during development.
  • Sonic as a franchise is great and always has been, memes be damned. Oh, and I really enjoy the Deadly Six.
  • On the other hand, Ratchet and Clank has been on a sharp decline ever since Tools of Destruction. The games, while functional and fun in a gameplay sense, have completely lost their soul and strayed VERY far from what made the first few games (especially the masterful Going Commando) so great.
  • I'm not really bothered about the abundance of Fire Emblem characters in the Smash Bros. games. Hell, I actually really wanted to see Byleth get in and was joyous to see him get revealed. Now if only FE games didn't cost a fortune here in Britain. :okiedokieloki:
  • I don't actually find Kirby that cute :muffins:

Now excuse me as I run for the nearest bunker. :-P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Duke Nukem Forever isn't a bad game. It's not a perfect game by any means, and it does have a fair amount of flaws, primarily in it feeling unfinished, but I'd actually argue that, as a part of this series, it holds up quite well. The action is solid, the comedy is honestly really funny in a wacky, often childish way, and it's something you shouldn't take too seriously in order to have fun with. It IS a Duke Nukem game, after all. Yes, some of the jokes are dated and the gameplay and assets would certainly benefit from more work, and the way the game ends is pretty crappy, but you have to give the designers credit for doing what they could, what with the constant company related troubles they faced. We can be thankful that it came out, and I still find enjoyment playing it to this day. 

I'd personally give it a 6.9/10. 

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Aticus the Adequate said:

Duke Nukem Forever isn't a bad game. It's not a perfect game by any means, and it does have a fair amount of flaws, primarily in it feeling unfinished, but I'd actually argue that, as a part of this series, it holds up quite well. The action is solid, the comedy is honestly really funny in a wacky, often childish way, and it's something you shouldn't take too seriously in order to have fun with. It IS a Duke Nukem game, after all. Yes, some of the jokes are dated and the gameplay and assets would certainly benefit from more work, and the way the game ends is pretty crappy, but you have to give the designers credit for doing what they could, what with the constant company related troubles they faced. We can be thankful that it came out, and I still find enjoyment playing it to this day. 

I'd personally give it a 6.9/10. 

tbh I still haven't played it or Duke Nukem 3D, but from a distance I always sort of had the impression that it's not a bad game, just not the game worth waiting >10 years for.

Jet Set Radio isn't as fun as JSR Future, imo. I love the Dreamcast, it's probably one of my favorite consoles ever- but JSR's controls are just... Super janky compared to it's successor, which is different in many ways.

Future takes more of an emphasis on doing tricks and finding secrets, which the original JSR was more about being able to complete levels in time and without getting caught up by the cops. While that was enjoyable, I feel like Future's way of only having certain levels with them makes it way more fun. 

It's super easy to get stuck in JSR, but in Future, there's tons of stuff to do until you 100% complete the game, which unlocks new characters and new maps in multiplayer mode. (Which was really fun, even with bots!)

Lots of people say JSRF isn't as challenging, but I disagree. Each map raises the bar more, with more hard platforms to reach, just like the OG. It just takes out some unnecessary, unfun stuff.

That's my take!

Edited by Cherrychip
  • Brohoof 1

I like when companies re-release older games on the newer consoles even if it's just "transferring" a PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4 for example.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2