Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Season 6 Confirmed for Spring + Information on Princess Flurry Heart

Zerbu

IIRC, not everybody accepted them. Solid chunks of the population either followed their own rulers, or wanted nothing to do with the sisters. So they had to prove themselves to rule ALL of Equestria. To prove they had that role to everypony.

The only ones I remember not really listening to or respecting Celestia and Luna at first were the griffins, who still don't seem to be ruled by Celestia and Luna and are only now learning to not be jerks, a dragon, which don't have any respect for any ponies, and Princess Platinum, who's a spoiled brat. The part about various towns and cities following their own rulers is still pretty much true, we've got ponies like Mayor Mare running Ponyville, so power isn't solely given to Celestia and Luna.

And frankly that doesn't change the fact that Celestia and Luna still became princesses first by virtue of simply being alicorns and didn't do anything to prove themselves until afterwards. So why shouldn't Flurry Hearts be given the same treatment, albeit after giving her some time to grow up before proving herself.

I thought her name was Skyla.  What in the gibs is all that about?  Was that just a placeholder name given by the fandom?  Well, it's a hell of a lot better, I'll tell you that.  I wish they had gone with Skyla.

We only went with Skyla as a name because of this one baby alicorn toy named Skyla that came out years ago that had Cadence's colors (but was never actually referred to as her daughter). Fans probably paid more attention to this one toy than the show's writers did and just came up with their own idea for Cadence and Shining's daughter.

@@Marimo, Ah, well, thanks, that explains it.  Still, I would have preferred Skyla.  Flurry Heart just sounds too stereotypical to me, as if they're almost poking fun at cutsey sounding names.  Eh, I'm probably just biased because I never wanted them to have a foal.  I'll tell you what they should have named her: shoulda named her Princess Turbulence Cardioid.

@@Marimo, Ah, well, thanks, that explains it.  Still, I would have preferred Skyla.  Flurry Heart just sounds too stereotypical to me, as if they're almost poking fun at cutsey sounding names.  Eh, I'm probably just biased because I never wanted them to have a foal.  I'll tell you what they should have named her: shoulda named her Princess Turbulence Cardioid.

Screw that. They should've named her Princess Diabeetus and had Wilford Brimley do the voice. Seriously, THIS FILLY RIVALS BABY APPLEJACK.

P.S. No offence to people who actually have Diabetes. I'm just using a popular internet reference and YTP meme.

Edited by MovieLord101
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
While I'm somewhat nervous about the premiere, I don't think it's going to be the death of the fandom like some people are prematurely claiming. Even if the premiere is an absolute clusterf**k (which there's a fair chance of, considering how many plot threads the writers have got going on at once), we've still got 22 more episodes and the finale to make up for it! That being said, I do have some concerns, most of which revolve around Starlight Glimmer. What direction are the writers planning on taking with her? Are they writers going to labor under the assumption that she has nothing more to prove, or are they going to force her to prove herself worthy of forgiveness like they did with Sunset? Are they going to make Sunburst into a hatesink in order to force the audience to sympathize with Glimmer, or are they going to give some depth to Sunburst's character? I'm not as worried about Flurry Heart as the majority of this fandom is, since I think she'll probably be pushed off to the side once the premiere is over, whereas Glimmer seems like she's going to be a recurring character this season.

• Brohoof 1

While I'm somewhat nervous about the premiere, I don't think it's going to be the death of the fandom like some people are prematurely claiming. Even if the premiere is an absolute clusterf**k (which there's a fair chance of, considering how many plot threads the writers have got going on at once), we've still got 22 more episodes and the finale to make up for it! That being said, I do have some concerns, most of which revolve around Starlight Glimmer. What direction are the writers planning on taking with her? Are they writers going to labor under the assumption that she has nothing more to prove, or are they going to force her to prove herself worthy of forgiveness like they did with Sunset? Are they going to make Sunburst into a hatesink in order to force the audience to sympathize with Glimmer, or are they going to give some depth to Sunburst's character? I'm not as worried about Flurry Heart as the majority of this fandom is, since I think she'll probably be pushed off to the side once the premiere is over, whereas Glimmer seems like she's going to be a recurring character this season.

I'm sure the fandom will chill with whatever the direction the writers put upon Mlp. I was also thinking about Starlight's and Sunburst's role in S6 but truly we'll have to wait it out and see.

We're in trouble Guys. The writers pulled a Poof. RIP MLPFIM. Princess McFlurry Fart of MacGuffin is here to stay.

I still don't see how such a conclusion can be reached at this point. I mean I can understand that concerns that you and others hold, but a lot of this seems premature to me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This is definitely shaping up like it's going to be another one of those Base Breakers. Either you'll be really happy with the character or the episode, or you'll absolutely hate it. Although it's too early to talk about its effects on the show or to rate the episode, it's a good time to rate the idea, on top of what was seen in the Season 5 finale considering Starlight's a part of it. Though I'm usually indifferent to new ideas until I see them in execution, what was seen in the trailer has me unimpressed, not only as far as two-parters in this show go, but also Twilight's role in the show as well.

Although I'm usually one of the first (probably more like fourth or fifth) to point out how heavily emphasized Twilight is in this show, the main reason I criticize it is when MLP forgoes its chances to be something other than the typical "hero's journey"/"hero saves the day" plot. I want to see MLP actually use its "friendship" moniker, as well as the morals learned and the characters met build up to an adventure in which it's not the flippant idea of "friendship" embodied by a chosen few, but the actual effort and contributions of its substantial cast that save the day. That's what would truly set MLP apart from most of the other stuff in family TV and movies these days. "The Crystal Empire" partly delivered on this when the Crystal Ponies powered the Crystal Heart, as well as having Shining Armor, Cadance, and Spike participate, despite reducing the Mane 6 to barely consequential roles. "The Cutie Map" did this by having the four new characters actively participate in the episode's climax. "Twilight's Kingdom" is a poster child for missed opportunities and style over substance.

This isn't a problem with Twilight's character, but how the show pretty much portrays the rest of Equestria as useless without her.

On the other hand, I'll give the writers credit on how they handled Twilight's character growth in itself, isolated of these factors. It was a very sympathetic character development, and the show had a defining place and role for Twilight herself, as a sort of rare magical prodigy that only comes along once in a while. Her character arc in three seasons managed to maintain a level of solid growth and consistency until she was made a princess, to which point the redefinition of her role was stalled for an entire season (one reason why I name Season 4 the worst) before being titled the obvious (Princess of Friendship) by season's end.

But really, what does this have to do with Princess Flurry Heart and Starlight Glimmer?

The main issue here is how Twilight's "magical prodigy" status is pretty much cheapened. If Starlight Glimmer is basically Twilight 3 now (I'll subtitle her "Eclipse" after the third installment of the Twilight Saga considering how she mirrors Sunset Shimmer), what, then, was all of the use of Twilight's buildup if these prodigies are now pretty much dime-a-dozen? Considering that Flurry Heart has pretty much been set up to be another potential one, what really is the point of building Twilight up anymore if there's only going to be a ton of other characters added that are merely mirror images of her?

It goes without saying that just as Shining Armor and Cadance cashed in on the William/Kate wedding, Flurry Heart cashed in on their royal baby headline-maker from a year or two back. But MLP is a much different show now than it was back then, and I think they're really running out of ways to make these cash-in attempts work as anything more than style over substance. I generally do not like style-over-substance episodes in the show as they are generally forgettable aside from one or two good scenes, and the main reason why I consider them to be "running out of ideas" is mainly because of how many of the hyped episodes basically tack the hype object on top of a typical episode structure instead of coming up with something original and different for this show.

Given Starlight's half-baked reformation from the S5 finale and how the writers are on their way to pretty much writing in circles until the next big thing happens, I'm not really holding my breath for this premiere.

In short, although I don't like knocking things before they come out, this has the makings of what many fans would consider a "jump the shark" moment for the show or a time to get out of the fandom, and to be honest, I wouldn't blame them. I've been looking at many other shows during this hiatus as I'm sure FiM won't be fresh for much longer, but I will give them this; the "Explore Equestria" element that regular episodes may be taking on this season might be a saving grace, provided they aren't littered with the same cut/dry stereotypical characters many Season 5 episodes were saddled with. They're doing a heck of a good job hyping up their next Manehattan episode to the point where I'm actually looking forward to that more than this season premiere.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I still don't see how such a conclusion can be reached at this point. I mean I can understand that concerns that you and others hold, but a lot of this seems premature to me.

Exactly! Also, bear in mind, FOP is a terrible show with constant bad episodes. MLP does not have such issues, as MOST episodes are good! Don't compare it to a lesser show just because a magic baby has been introduced. >_>

Edited by MovieLord101

Exactly! Also, bear in mind, FOP is a terrible show with constant bad episodes. MLP does not have such issues, as MOST episodes are good! Don't compare it to a lesser show just because a magic baby has been introduced. >_>

I'll fight you there, the first couple of seasons were very good IMO.

32629247.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I'll fight you there, the first couple of seasons were very good IMO.

32629247.jpg

You're partially right. THEN CAME CHANNEL CHASERS. GOD, that was the most racist, insulting, unfunny, spiteful, hypocritical and overall ill-conceived middle-finger-to-the-fans I've seen from ANY series! Just be glad THIS show didn't make such an episode that was ALL OF THAT!

The reason for this is that babies of any kind, let alone magic babies, don't add much to the show. Babies, as incomplete versions of beings, cannot have much depth or interest to them.

If a baby is given too much depth, it isn't believable. But on the other side, if it lacks any kind of depth or characterization, it can't be anything more than a plot device. But how do you give a baby characterization? Because babies straddle the line between two terrible ways they can be written, seeing a well-written baby is uncommon. The only well-written baby I can think of is Dill Pickles.

It's this problem with babies in general that makes magical babies an even bigger problem. because adding magic to the equation just inflames the two horrible ways this can go. On the one hoof, the baby with no substance given magic, becomes an even BIGGER plot device, and it's all too easy for writers to leave it at that. On the other hoof, if you give it an unbelievable amount of depth, well now you have a baby with uncharacteristic depth AND magic.

Adding a magic baby doesn't automatically make this Fairly OddBaby, but it does bring it a few more steps closer to catastrophe. And that's where the concern comes from. The ways this can go right are not many. And they already took a bad step.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The reason for this is that babies of any kind, let alone magic babies, don't add much to the show. Babies, as incomplete versions of beings, cannot have much depth or interest to them.

If a baby is given too much depth, it isn't believable. But on the other side, if it lacks any kind of depth or characterization, it can't be anything more than a plot device. But how do you give a baby characterization? Because babies straddle the line between two terrible ways they can be written, seeing a well-written baby is uncommon. The only well-written baby I can think of is Dill Pickles.

It's this problem with babies in general that makes magical babies an even bigger problem. because adding magic to the equation just inflames the two horrible ways this can go. On the one hoof, the baby with no substance given magic, becomes an even BIGGER plot device, and it's all too easy for writers to leave it at that. On the other hoof, if you give it an unbelievable amount of depth, well now you have a baby with uncharacteristic depth AND magic.

Adding a magic baby doesn't automatically make this Fairly OddBaby, but it does bring it a few more steps closer to catastrophe. And that's where the concern comes from. The ways this can go right are not many. And they already took a bad step.

I understand, but this AGAIN, is not like most stuff Nickelodeon puts out. If this was, THEN I'd be seriously worried. Besides, it's not like this kid's going to be a new main character like Poof and Dill were. That's what people keep forgetting.

Edited by MovieLord101

You're partially right. THEN CAME CHANNEL CHASERS. GOD, that was the most racist, insulting, unfunny, spiteful, hypocritical and overall ill-conceived middle-finger-to-the-fans I've seen from ANY series! Just be glad THIS show didn't make such an episode that was ALL OF THAT!

I'm pretty sure you watched a completely different show because Channel Chasers was amazing

You completely lost me at the racist comment...unless parodying anime is suddenly racist, which is an incredibly silly mentality to have

I'm pretty sure you watched a completely different show because Channel Chasers was amazing

You completely lost me at the racist comment...unless parodying anime is suddenly racist, which is an incredibly silly mentality to have

It's wasn't BECAUSE they parodied DBZ. It was HOW they did it. The slanty eyes and stuff. VERY racist.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I'm not gonna hold the sins of one show against a better, completely unrelated one. MOVING ON.

(edited)

Okay, first of all, it might be just me, but Cadance doesn't seems pregnant at all on The One Where Pinkie Knows( (is this the episode name?)

Second, magic might be dangerous on pregnancy.

Third...

OP Baby.

WHY.

Well, Pumpkin Cake and Pound Cake were also OP, so I guess Baby Ponies will always be OP.

Edited by Flinp

Still, I've got a feeling that Starlight will betray the Mane Six by joining Sunburst by collecting a baby's power in order to revive Starswirl the Bearded a la Kaibutsu-kun...Don't get me wrong I HAVE watched that drama before...This is much like when the Demon-clan are collecting every human's desire so Demorina can revive Demokin again...Yep it might be like Kaibutsu-kun alright...Or more like an actual Darker and Edgier story-arc in here!