Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology What's your opinion on VR/Virtual Reality?

Sweetie-Belle

To be honest, I'm very excited for VR, even though I can't afford the graphics card and the new HMDs coming out this year; I'm still going to buy a Oculus Rift DK2 this month. I'm a bit overexcited, personally... What's your opinion on VR (Virtual Reality)?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's cool that we're now at the point where we can actually fully immerse ourselves like some kind of sci-fi novel, I would love to do this in something like the Lord of the Rings with its massive and beautiful world (although I'd love to visit New Zealand and see it for myself even more.) The thing is though that it's very young technology and very expensive for now. So in the meantime, im going to patiently wait for the market to calm down, the technology to become embraced by developers and consumers and the prices to become a bit more affordable. Then I will certainly buy into it.

I'm also really excited about augmented reality, but that's something else for another topic.

EDIT: Hmm, in retrospect, I do have a bit of concern if VR becomes more than a gimmick. If we perfect VR and weave these perfect little fictional worlds, I fear people might become content with living in fiction rather than demanding a better reality or seeking out their own adventures. It looks unlikely with the state of the technology now due to physical and hardware limitations, but it's just a thought.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

I think because the tech for VR is getting much better over the 90s versions, I am way more interested in VR than before.

Ever since I saw the PonyVRVille Demo, I was sold into the idea of VR.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 4/1/2016 at 9:00 PM, Sweetie-Belle said:

To be honest, I'm very excited for VR, even though I can't afford the graphics card and the new HMDs coming out this year; I'm still going to buy a Oculus Rift DK2 this month. I'm a bit overexcited, personally... What's your opinion on VR (Virtual Reality)?

I actually have a DK1. It's a nice experience, but I'm not sure that I would recommend it (unless you get it for cheap). I would suggest that you wait instead until the prices on VR have gone down.

Edited by Azatrot
  • Brohoof 1

I hold it in very high esteem and consider it to be the next generation of virtual experiences. It's a long-term investment; I don't expect it to suddenly explode with popularity among the common population. But it'll get there in due time as more and more people put interest and support into the platform. It's only the beginning, too, as we eventually find better and more immersive ways to handle VR. I imagine one day where taking an exotic cruise to the Bahamas or fighting dragons atop a volcano, will feel the same as whether you're actually there or simply relaxing in a bed at home.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a bit overexcited, personally...

I will certainly buy into it.

I was sold into the idea of VR.

I hold it in very high esteem and consider it to be the next generation of virtual experiences.

I see SO much potential in this 'VR' craze for MUCH CHAOS... but let's be honest here...

What you're talking about is shuttering your eyes, ears and hands within a system that can take you on FANTASTIC journeys with the push of a button - I want to make sure I'm hearing this correctly...

... because, whether you realize it or not, you humans are putting on BLINDERS; those little black squares on either side of a pony's vision when they're saddled up?  THOSE squares?  Those are meant to keep the horse FOCUSED in front of him, so he doesn't see anything that scares him badly enough to spook.

And now, your media industry has found a way to do so to HUMANS... and you're excited about it.  Bra-VO, humanity.           >_>  

• Brohoof 1

Totally not suitable for people with motion sickness or eye strain, especially when you'd have to constantly move your head around while wearing VR. But, I won't stop them from liking it, just gotta know the safeties of it.

• Brohoof 1

I'd love to try it, but prices of the Oculus Rift (that I will never buy) and HTC Vive/SteamVR (which I would buy) combined with a PC to run it would set you back a couple months pay.

• Brohoof 1

I probably will be investing in the Playstation VR, but I am a little annoyed that supposedly a more powerful PS4 is going to be released to perform better with it. >_>

While VR has TONS of potential, I personally think as of right now, it is too niche and too expensive to make me have any interest. Unlike HDTV's which were a natural evolution of TV's in general, these VR headsets don't seem like a natural progression of anything at this point, so their extreme prices might last a lot longer and that really keeps me away. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I won't buy it. I'm sure that VR is great for games with a first person perspective, but there really isn't anything else that you can play with VR. And I don't play those types of games often enough for me to need something like VR.

Edited by Gestum

Kind of more of a gimmick at the moment, not to say it won't become a thing in the future, but not nearly enough people have PCs powerful enough to use VR properly (that and VR is pretty expensive)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got my Freefly headset yesterday and let me tell you....of all my years of gaming ....nothing has ever felt more immersive...and I'm just using a variant of Google cardboard! I can only imagine just how good the Vibe and Oculus will be! 

Meh, could care less about it. It seems cool, sure, but I can't see myself spending upwards of $600 for a headset that I may not use too often.

VR has the same appeal as motion controls in my eyes. It's a nifty thing that can be really cool under specific circumstances, but it will never be mainstream. Im not trying to downplay how awesome VR can be, because it can really be something awesome when applied in appropriate games, but it's just not something that will attract enough attention for it to become a household item like a default console or PC is.

AR, however, is something quite exciting given the fact that he has many possible uses outside of gaming. Honestly AR is going to be a much bigger technology than VR, so long as its given the time to develop further.

• 2 years later...

Just got my Rift yesterday and here is what I have to say.

You cannot really say what VR is like until you've experienced it first hand I mean it pretty much blew me out of the water. 

If you want immersion VR is your thing it's an amazing visual experience.

The issue for me currently is the VR sickness  I only used it couple hours yesterday but my head still feels pretty messed up . I 've read that it gets better with time and I certainly hope so.

I didn't expect it would be this tough for my eyes head and feeling. But for what it's worth I think even though there is the sickness the experience you will get out of it is pretty much unimaginable so I'd say that it is worth it especially if it gets better with time

Edited by Kusuriuri

My expectations of what VR can be kind of hinder my desire to get any current stuff. Too many fictional universes where VR is fully immersive like .Hack// and Sword Art Online that are too far advanced for anything we'll get in even the next few decades, if full immersion is even possible like that.