Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

Well, I think it hit it's peak in 2013, but idk I wasn't there.

Also I went around the internet and never heard of a brony or seen any pony content until 2014 when my cousin told me about it. And even then I never saw it unless I looked for it myself.

Became a brony in 2015.

I think one of the biggest reasons why pony content isn't everywhere is because there are websites, like this one, designated for mlp content, and large abundance of websites like this. Before there really wasn't so bronies/pegasisters/people who like mlp just talked about pony anywhere.

However, I don't think there was a huge drop in popularity. If there were, just an example, 200,000 bronies before I think there are about 170,000 now. (some left but new bronies come all the time too).

Honestly, this fandom is awesome! Proud to be a brony. An incredible show that has given me a greater drive to do great things.

Also, I think the brony fandom could possibly have another spike too. It won't last long but I'm pretty sure it will happen. MLP is awesome!

Also I never really understood all the bitching about Twilight becoming an alicorn or EQG. MMC is one of my fav episodes and Princess Twilight is awesome! Equestria Girls is also very awesome! I love it!

Edited by Misscellanio

To be honest, I really miss all the hype and all the sh**storms that the fandom caused back in 2012.  ^_^  It was such a huge meme and being a brony was the most "out of the ordinary" thing at the time and many didn't like it, but the ones who did like it were very vocal and it only caused a ton of pony videos and fan art and songs and all these great things, along with some other hate but that only fueled bronies.  I remember when I joined in July 2012 that when I first started watching the show I made sure literally no one knew about it, and there was a sense of adrenaline rush every time I watched the show because of that. I even miss seeing those old "welcome to the herd" and "love and tolerate" memes pop up at every corner of the internet...  

2012 was the peak point for pony, not only number of people who watched the show/were in the fandom but the amount of people aware that it existed.  I wish I could relive those days, lol

Edited by shy0wl
  • Brohoof 1

I agree that a lot of interest has settled down; there aren't nearly as many media articles awing over, dissecting or ripping down the brony culture as before. But what do you think will happen when the MLP movie comes out next year? It's slated for a wide international release, and any childless adults who opt to watch it over "Blade Runner 2" that weekend are bound to put themselves on the radar again. Now, odds are it might not outperform "Blade Runner 2", but in the event it did... hoo boy.

• Brohoof 2

It went from being a meme to being an actual fandom similar to Star Wars. From what I can tell, most of the people in 2011 didn't actually care for the show.

I am a 2011 guy here and i can assure you, that (atleast from what i saw) alot of people cared for the show back then.

I agree that a lot of interest has settled down; there aren't nearly as many media articles awing over, dissecting or ripping down the brony culture as before. But what do you think will happen when the MLP movie comes out next year? It's slated for a wide international release, and any childless adults who opt to watch it over "Blade Runner 2" that weekend are bound to put themselves on the radar again. Now, odds are it might not outperform "Blade Runner 2", but in the event it did... hoo boy.

I still don't think that it will be a very big success outside of the US and that it will make decently in the US.

We shouldn't expect it to be one of the most successful movies of next year.

It went from being a meme to being an actual fandom similar to Star Wars. From what I can tell, most of the people in 2011 didn't actually care for the show.

Well I don't think that's really fair, there were plenty of people back then who cared for the show, although I joined early 2015, so I'm just saying this based off of what I've seen from that period. That being said, the fandom does seem to be less meme based nowadays, so if there were people just here for that, then they may have left.

according to google trends "MLP FIM" reached its peak in April 2012 and its been on a jagged decline since, kinda sad to see tbh

that pretty well sums up the fandom, it is nothing like it was

It will for sure outgross Blade Runner 2. Remakes of 80s films, especially cult classics, are generally flops. Just look at Ghostbusters, and that had little competition opening weekend.

Hmm... I first started watching the show back during the hiatus after the second season. I wasn't too active in the fandom, minus checking Equestria Daily for episode releases and Drawfriends. :please:

It wasn't until last year that I joined fan sites and got super involved, but what I can say is that things seemed to be a lot more active in 2013. I do remember tons of people leaving the fandom after Twilight got her wings, but the event also seemed to spark a ton of interest in the show and inspired tons of fan content and discussion/theory videos. I think the fandom has already hit its peak. :)

It will for sure outgross Blade Runner 2. Remakes of 80s films, especially cult classics, are generally flops. Just look at Ghostbusters, and that had little competition opening weekend.

I would NOT be so sure about that. You have to remember that Ghostbusters was kinda surrounded in controversy.

I am a 2011 guy here and i can assure you, that (atleast from what i saw) alot of people cared for the show back then.

I still don't think that it will be a very big success outside of the US and that it will make decently in the US.

We shouldn't expect it to be one of the most successful movies of next year.

I predict the movie will underperform. 

It's peak was around 2011-2012 when Season 2 finished laying out it's episodes. There was a lot of tidbits for bronies to play around with, the anti-bronies were very active as well as the bronies that opposed them. The revolution of watching cartoons regardless of gender seemed to be the brightest and most active that time as well which spurred the passion and zeal of bronies around the net and across conventions. Bronies had a purpose to fight for and it was when around that time. During Season 3 it started settling down and soon became lukewarm. After Season 4, I felt nothing of the 2011-2012 spark.

I'd say peak popularity was reached around the start of Season 3. The first signs of change were in January 2013 when Hasbro, Inc. started to suppress fan-created works that contained characters from the franchise (I'm pointing at you Fighting Is Magic). For the rest of the year full, unedited episodes started to be removed from YouTube and discover-ability for first-time viewers became more difficult.

That being said, there have been great strides in creativity in the FiM fandom since then, the most notable being WarpOut's Lullaby for a Princess Animation. The music, while not as bombastic as in 2012 and not as memorable as in 2011, improved in quality in the post-peak years. I would even argue that the show's message matured and was more refined from Season 3 onwards.

So while we may not be as popular as in the past, we are also not as infamous anymore, we're a better community in terms of our relations with mainstream cultures and other sub-cultures, than we've ever been before.

Edited by Paianni

• 1 month later...

Same was said about SC2. Since BW they have had a decline, but are still thousands of views at once daily, yet everyone calls it a dead game and games that get less than 100 views at once on Twitch still plan on sequels. But the popular and/or meme opinion is its a dead game because its not brood war status. 

I don't think mlp will die, I think it'll decline in popularity slowly, but still be more viable than basically all other shows that are not quite as mainstream as itself.

• Brohoof 1

The fandom appears to be retaining its current course of being steady and gaining new members at a decent pace. I don't particularly see any problems that warrant concern right now, but maybe it's a good idea to have a backup plan just in case.