Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

What would make you think it is?

I was about to ask the same question, :lol:

OT: IMO, i thinking its growing............b/c it seems more and more folks are getting into the show, and hope the fandom keeps growing, :D

I would never want this fandom to die, But I am just seeing less meet ups and...... just look at this!

That graph more or less shows steady growth over the long term.

131258354780.gif

The fandom is not dying. Harry Potter hasn't had a movie since 2012 and they ain't dying. Star Wars fans ain't got no episode for more then that and they ain't dying. Sherlock had no NEW SEASON for 600+ days and they ain't dying.

My Little Pony is not dying.

At all.

• Brohoof 3

No-there will always be people coming and going, but something this big and self perpetuating isn't going away any time soon.

People will keep it going with RP and fan art long after the show has ended-and I read the other day that the folks at Hasbro are wanting at least 5 more seasons of the show.

When you find something you love, and that makes you happy it's natural to worry about it going away-but I don't think we have any cause for alarm.

(edited)

I think it's hit its peak, but a decently-sized fandom will exist for another decade IMO.  Small amounts of largely-independent bronies will probably exist for the rest of their lives, just as old people today still enjoy old cartoons.  Plus, a G5 will be a game-changer and will probably make the fandom grow again.

Edited by StarSwirlTheBearded
  • Brohoof 1

This fandom can't die because bronies won't disappear magically. You wouldn't disappear too Apple Dazy, would you? If the answer is "No" then this fandom won't die even if everyone else quit it.

Yes and no. You can easily look at the musical side of the fandom anf look at all the musician that have left and see a new beloved musician leave on a weekly basis (Tsyolin, PhillyPu, and Feather (devoting much less time) these last 2 weeks). Sure there are plenty of smaller and newer musicians left but less people may care about that side of the fandom than in years before. I know a lot of brony friends who haven't even been watching season 4 and have no desire to make MLP focused music in the future. It's a drag.

So it's quite possible to have certain portions of the fandom really dry up (but not die out completely) and not be as important to those fans who remain.  New people with lots of talent are still coming into this fandom but its up to the fandom to embrace who's left and worth hearing and give them that support.

Regardless, MLP has a big enough fanbase that it can continue on after the show's demise but there's a big difference between dead and dying. We're all just getting older and getting one foot closer to the grave and MLP is no different.  Star Trek and Star Wars is still around but much weaker than previous decades.I don't think our best years are behind us yet but its possible we'll see a slow down in interest in comparison to the previous years before.That's no reason to jump ship or stop loving this fandom because it shrinks a little rather than growing.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

The fandom will reach a stagnation point when the season ends.

At the end, it will consist of people telling everyone that they're leaving the fandom, but come back when season 5 happens.

• Brohoof 1

It will keep going so long as the seasons keep going but being part of the fandom since 2011 I've noticed a decline in the shows appeal to me after season 2. Season 3 was okay but Season 4 has so much fanservice which would make some Bronies very happy but to others it ruins the show. 

Also, the episodes are getting a bit boring in my opinion.

This fandom wont die though, at least not until the show officially ends and then it still might drag on for some years.

Hi .  The topic of the fandom's vitality is one of the most common discussions in this forum.  Thus it has been merged with this established thread which already contains a nearly identical poll. 

As for the question at hand, I think the fandom is in a constant state of change but is in no danger of dying off anytime soon.  :) 

The fandom, no. But the way it is liked. Was that clear? We are all still bronies and pegasisters, and more people are joining the herd as well every minute. But the show has changed so much sometimes we dont know what to expect next. Thats what I mean. Part of the fandom is liking the show a little less, much of the times because of Mary Sue Twilight.   >_> A lot of us dont like the idea of Twilight becoming and alicorn, AND since the last 2 eppys has been announced they are called Twilight Kindom part 1 and 2. AND all the Princesses are giving all their powers to Twilight so she can save the day like she always does. What about the team job! WHY CAN´T ALL THE MANE 6 SAVE EQUESTRIA!! LIKE IN THE BEGINING. Well back to the plot, most of the fandom dealt with it. But others liked the show a twinsy witsy bit less. But no, the fandom is not dying, (I mean in number) But how we look at the show, how we extremely loved to death the show, is dying a little.

Well thats MY point of view, and I respect all the other opinions  :)

(edited)

The fandom for MLP or Star Trek (I got confused sorry) :blush:

Nevermind.^

Well I'm afraid so. :blush: Recently some people have been saying that they hate MLP and its very hurtful. Hopefully we'll always be gaining new fans. We are all bronies and pegiasisters. And if we keep it up we'll have unicousins along in the MLP fan family. Live long MLP. Ponies are love Ponies are life. :wub:  We shall live long toghether. If we keep it up the fandom shall be imortal! :D  

Edited by Maud Pie Rocker

• 11 months later...

So what do you guys think. Is the brony fandom dying out? Is it getting stronger? Is it just in some sort of latent phase as we await S5?

Well an article the other day stated this year is Year of the Unicorn and it appears MLP is becoming popular with young boys now. The ones who leave the fandom are the ones who have been here since 2010, 2011, or 2012. I think the fandom will be strong during Season 5.

• Brohoof 2

I ask because I only became a brony in like september, so i've never been part of the fandom DURING a season airing. I'm a bit nervous about it because I love this fandom so much.

I hope It never dies, but I also wonder where the majority of people will go when it does (in a decade or two I hope)

This fandom is bigger then it's ever been.

You should've been around 2011. It was a heck of alot smaller then it is today.

• Brohoof 3

I ask because I only became a brony in like september, so i've never been part of the fandom DURING a season airing. I'm a bit nervous about it because I love this fandom so much.

I hope It never dies, but I also wonder where the majority of people will go when it does (in a decade or two I hope)

Yeah I haven't experienced what the fandom was like during a Season. I started getting into FiM a few weeks after Season 4 ended. I'm also curious to see how it's like. I was concerned with the same thing in July when I first joined.

• Brohoof 1