Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

7 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

I don't really get that. It seems that some people see fandoms as an "all or nothing" proposition. I've had fandoms decline in my life but I don't abandon them just because time has passed. It's not a good reason.

You have a good point there.

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis14 said:

I think part of the reason why the show is declining is the fact that the core cast remains intact after 8 seasons. It's alright to keep them after 4-5 seasons, but once you go past that, you're taking too much of a chance. I just wish they would change things up and keep them as minor characters and make some of the newer characters the new main cast.

I don't know any media off hand in which a core cast of characters is replaced after a certain point. Are you able to?

2 minutes ago, Silver Letter said:

I don't know any media off hand in which a core cast of characters is replaced after a certain point. Are you able to?

Nuh, that's just my suggestion though.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:26 AM, Key Sharkz said:

I wouldn't say it is "dying" just yet, but it is thinning. Why? Well a number of factors:

• The "trendy" crowd has come and gone. Many people join a new fandom because it's new and exciting, something different, however many will leave after it's no longer "unique" or "cool" to like it anymore.
  • Many Faust loyalists have finally given up on the idea of her ever returning and finally ditched.
  • Fandom is just getting older and people are losing interest, a natural part of every fandom.
  • With Gen 5 around the corner many people who are flakes are just jumping ship because they don't want to even give change a chance.

I would say this isn't the death of the fandom but perhaps a new chapter or the point where the fandom becomes a little more niche.

I tell you what though, season 5 might make it or break it for me for sure, especially if they actually make applejack an urban city pony with that “black girl sass”. And no not because of anything to do with race more along the lines of aj is such a relatable pony for me and other country bumpkins and I don’t see why media has to urbanize everything so much or the way that they do.

2 minutes ago, Blivy said:

I tell you what though, season 5 might make it or break it for me for sure, especially if they actually make applejack an urban city pony with that “black girl sass”. And no not because of anything to do with race more along the lines of aj is such a relatable pony for me and other country bumpkins and I don’t see why media has to urbanize everything so much or the way that they do.

Because as it turns out in her current state she's not as well received as they'd like.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

Because as it turns out in her current state she's not as well received as they'd like.

I understand that part and all but it seems like at the very least they could keep her a good ole country pony and think of other ways to make her an outstanding character. Plus in my honest opinion I believe she is perfectly fine the way she is right now, sure maybe they could tweak some things to make her feel more likable to some less understanding of her but still, every problem didn’t have to end with urbanIzation. So many people loved her just they way she is for the very reason OF her feeling like a nice shoutout to those of us that enjoy living a nice country lifestyle,  along with that work you’re butt off all day and and party with family at night mentality that so many of us small town folk have! <3

Maybe they are realize there is more to life than just ponies?

perhaps they got into it to try and get a date, however the girls found them creepy, once they given up, they finally landed a girlfriend?

some Actually are obsessed over to the point, it broke their bank account?

perhaps it was just a fad and they wanted to be a part of the hype?

Fit in with others that loved the show, however realized they do not need MLP in their life to make friends?

Maybe it is Just Rumor?

Who Knows.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:54 AM, Blivy said:

I understand that part and all but it seems like at the very least they could keep her a good ole country pony and think of other ways to make her an outstanding character. Plus in my honest opinion I believe she is perfectly fine the way she is right now, sure maybe they could tweak some things to make her feel more likable to some less understanding of her but still, every problem didn’t have to end with urbanIzation. So many people loved her just they way she is for the very reason OF her feeling like a nice shoutout to those of us that enjoy living a nice country lifestyle,  along with that work you’re butt off all day and and party with family at night mentality that so many of us small town folk have! <3

I don't think AJ's problem lies of her being a country horse, I think it's because of how poorly flexible she is character-wise. What are to be expected from an Applejack episode? Family, her farm life, on how she's poorly adaptable in higher levels of society. I don't think she would have much issue if she was more like her human counterpart 

• 1 month later...

Hello there i am starting to feel really depressed about the fandom and conventions ending and i mean deep depression i got into this fandom a while ago and it is really hurting me i dont like seeing ive come to love and became really envolved with fading can someone reassure me that everything is fine because without this fandom i am having a hard time continuing to function in society.

thank you.

Right, I've seen this thread many times over. Here is my take on this. Yes, the fandom is shrinking due to the age of the show. With the show possibly coming to a close soon that also means the fandom will go into a decline. Does it mean it will die? No, of course not. A fandom will never truly die if people are still around to support the very idea of what the fandom was found upon. I have a feeling that the fandom will stagnate until something else brings it back to live in the future (hopefully G5).

• Brohoof 8

11 minutes ago, TwilightSparkleAndAJ said:

Hello there i am starting to feel really depressed about the fandom and conventions ending and i mean deep depression i got into this fandom a while ago and it is really hurting me i dont like seeing ive come to love and became really envolved with fading can someone reassure me that everything is fine because without this fandom i am having a hard time continuing to function in society.

thank you.

Well some what 

Kinda 

But it is not going to die 

The fandom won't die until the last person claiming to be in a group. But I'm worried about G5 for reasons that I mentioned in previous posts (entire character change? evaporating my fav pony from the show? the complete change of direction when drawing ponies?)

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Iam said:

The fandom won't die until the last person claiming to be in a group. But I'm worried about G5 for reasons that I mentioned in previous posts (entire character change? evaporating my fav pony from the show? the complete change of direction when drawing ponies?)

Oh dude, haven't even realised G5 = probable end of Starlight, I don't want G4 to end now ;-;

Ugh, guess we'll still get some awesome new characters, no matter how many great horses we'll lose

Edited by Buttaflight

XZnT1To.png Yeah, I've noticed things got smaller...

Spoiler

znQHdFf.png

GmM9agi.png

Sadly, it's not as big and active as it used to be, but it's not dead. 

I think and I hope, that the fandom will keep the story go on and on, it's such a nice community.

• Brohoof 4

The fandom might be shrinking a bit, but I think it also is experiencing a cool down, less vocal members and whatnot. It isn't the internet sensation it used to be, but that is okay. The fandom will always be there and even though G4 might end eventually, you can bet the fandom will be eagerly awaiting G5 and the cycle could very well start anew. :) Fandoms never truly go away and for me, that is a comforting thought. As long as human passion exists, so will fandoms.

• Brohoof 3

Without a doubt. Bronycon is coming to an end next year, My Little Pony related websites are experiencing dwindling traffic across the board, brony music isn't anywhere near as popular as it used to be, the 2017 Movie didn't meet its financial expectations... you get the idea. Will the fandom ever "die?" It's hard to say, but I think most of us can agree that it will never completely vanish. If I were to guess, Generation 5 will spike the Fandom's prominence, but it will be very temporary. Either way, I can imagine seeing an ensemble of fresh faces in Generation 5, alongside some veterans.

Ultimately, though... this is up to the future to decide. :grin: These are just my projections, from what we have to go off of.

• Brohoof 6

All things must come to an end, so new ones can begin. Even our biological bodies will degrade to a point life isn't sustainable anymore.

Our universe is cyclical, and because something finishes, it doesn't mean it will be gone forever. But rather till the clock marks the same hour once again.

Life is a matter of perspective, but you seem to resist watching beyond change.

The fandom is shrinking as the casual fans are jumping ship to do other things. A lot of people who used to be here when I joined are gone, either no longer liking the show or doing things for the summer. Hasbro is not promoting MLP like it used to years ago. So people are surprised that it’s still going on. 

When I joined, the Lounge was very active. If you blinked, two or three more pages were filled with new posts. Now, it’s a ghost town with may a couple posts a day. Most of the friends I made here are gone and are not coming back. :blush:

That usually happens with a lot of fandoms. It's not anything to worry over to me. You'll always have the true fans wandering about and what not. Like others have said, the fandom won't die that fast. Some people have most likely moved on or might even be taking a break from it all. There's a dozen reasons as to why it's "fading". It's more like a huge trend. People will like something for a while, and then after a while that trend dies... they move onto other trends and so on. Don't worry too much over the fandom dying because I doubt it's going to go downhill that fast if anything.