Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

Personally I think the brony fandom is immortal at this point, like the Star Trek or Star Wars fans. Sure we'll have our ebbs and flows and fan-created content might not be as strong with the cease and desist non-sense, but there's always Gen 5 to look forward too, possibly a sendoff movie for Gen 4, and you never know, maybe someone will invent the Equestria holodeck, although I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good thing.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing that has really changed is the fire of the fandom. Almost 10,000 people used to attend Bronycon, years ago. About half that showed up this year. Some fans have gotten older and moved on to other things and some jumped ship after season Star Trek franchise is still strong because of fans despite there not being any shows on public broadcast in about 15 years, devisive reboot films and online show. There used to be a lot more fan content out there before Hasbo and their cease and desist orders. Hasbro doesn’t like your using their property to create music or videos but is fine with you making artwork and plushies to sell at conventions. No one said Hasbro made sense. But with Gen5 coming out in less than two years, we will see how strong the fandom stays.

Edited by Twilight Luna

On 6/19/2018 at 10:36 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Basically, anything that have a large popularity that suddenly slows down somewhat, is constantly said to be dying by doom-sayers. It' like that with online games, and it's the same with fandoms.

Yeah! I get that with team fortress 2!  But even on the console versions people still play!

I think "dying" is kinda a subjective thing...it's natural for a fandom to become less popular after a while, especially one that has gone on for this long. 

If you look at it from a fan participation perspective...well, I have no idea how well this site is doing in terms of traffic (I'm guessing that's the dev team and/or admin's area), but this site at least, and other places like EqD and Derpibooru seem to still be quite active.

If you look at it from a fan creation perspective...well, even though we've lost of a lot of creators over the years like Jan and Sherclop Pones, I think we still have lots of content from newer creators like Round Trip (MLP in a Nutshell), Agrol/ForgaLorga (various dialogue-less MLP animations), Tridashie (Friendship is Musical series) plus a lot of deviantART artists. And going by what I've seen at Everfree Northwest this year, we still have a lot of fans attending conventions.

So yeah, the fandom is probably "dying" in that it's not as numerous and active as it used to be, but that's kinda to be expected once a series has passed its prime. And we still seem to have lots of content creators. As for me, I hope to keep creating MLP fanworks until I run out of ideas. :)

In my opinion, yes the fandom is dying but it will never be completely dead. I don't think the reason it's dying is down to new directions of the show or anything like that, I think it's just simply that we've grown up and over the years lost that large interest in the show that made us so into it. Truthfully I'm not even sure why I'm still here as I've also lost great interest in the show.. I'm not even sure when the last time I watched it was but it was many years ago. It's not that I dislike the show or anything like that, I just prefer other things to MLP now (Like Steven Universe) 

Generation 5 may bring in newer members but I really don't think it'll make such a big impact on the fandom, and I'm certain it's not going to bring back older members. Sadly we've just got to accept that the show will never be as popular as it was, those years are long gone. We're no longer that extremely well known fandom with a large presence across the internet, with all the art, music and youtube channels that in the day were wide spread. We've just got to accept that no one really cares about us anymore... 

In my opinion, its "died" in that its shrunk a tiny bit, but i still see tons of fan content. TONS.  I believe a fanbase never truly dies.  Ive been a proud brony since january 2014, and i'll stay a brony til the day i die! I wonder if they have MLP up in heaven...

• Brohoof 1

I've seen fandoms that are far more "dead" than this one.  Call me when this forum has only a few posts a day or less.  The Brony fandom isn't as strong as it was, but it's far more alive than a lot of other fandoms out there.  Sure, you could easily list some that are stronger, but for a series well past its fad phase, it's doing quite well.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/6/2018 at 10:47 PM, ccb20yes said:

In my opinion, its "died" in that its shrunk a tiny bit, but i still see tons of fan content. TONS.  I believe a fanbase never truly dies.  Ive been a proud brony since january 2014, and i'll stay a brony til the day i die! I wonder if they have MLP up in heaven...

Of course they do.  Heaven has anything you could possibly want and more.  That's why it's called Heaven.  Personally, I think it will be so awesome that esoteric earthly things will be an afterthought to us at most before too long, but out of our choosing to set such things aside, not because it isn't available to us.  Besides, it shouldn't be called Heaven if Saturday binge gaming on a Monday isn't at all a thing.  And yes, it shouldn't be void of Ponies either.

It is not dying but it had has its peek.
The "best" fanmade animations, songs, etc are from years ago and I see a decrease in pony cosplays and artists on conventions. At  certain point I was kinda tired of seeing the mane6 being cosplayed over and over again and last convention I did (last weekend of July), I saw 1 rainbow dash... 1.

Things come and go, so same with bronies. I mean back in 2012 it was not conventional to like my little pony as an adult so we got a hell lot of attention. Now everybody knows about us, no shock effect anymore, etc. So we become one of he many fandoms. 

Conclusion both intern and extern the brony community is over it peek. It does not mean it is dying. We are still big and active.
My little pony as concept will probably not die. It has been around for decades and they plan G5. We live in a world that produces remakes of remakes and the mlp formula works. All little girls (or most) go through that annoying horse-phase so the market for horse/pony toys keeps existing. MLP also keeps rolling on the fact that parents played with it as a kid, and then they buy the same for their child. I am now 22 and I might have kids by the time I am 28. By that time we are far into G5. Guess what I will buy for my babies? Nice guess, yes, MLP toys. 
So it keeps rolling. 

As long you stay active yourself, you have nothing to fear.
Keep going to events, keep drawing, keep rol playing, keep supporting artists, keep being you, keep being a brony.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/19/2018 at 11:17 AM, Querch said:

Besides, if the fandom "dying" seems like some life-ending tragedy then I suggest you find something to live for that's actually meaningful, mm'kay? Then again, it does make sense that one would be deeply concerned about ponies coming to an end if someone has their life built around that. Not a very smart idea now, is it? 

Sorry, but that feels very nearsighted to even think this is JUST about a show being cancelled. And if you have been around that long, i have trouble believing you don't realize that. There's something very different about how mlp has influenced lives. It was so unprecedented that the psychiatric community took notice and tried to figure out "why?" Sometimes it feels to me like a minor hippie movement in disguise, but with a different set of stigmas attached. The value of the fandom goes far beyond entertainment, there is something of a social movement, and for some, even a spiritual one. In our cynical age where even random acts of compassion are met with distrust, it gave a place for people who didn't feel at home anywhere else, a place much better than the everyday; where people who shared something in common that ran VERY deep, could be together, and that's something i haven't seen with other fandoms. Equestria, in a way, extended beyond the screen and left a big mark on a lot of hearts, and inspired the best in us. When FIM ends, i just don't see anything replacing it. There will be countless other shows to watch, and things to do, but that won't fill the void that is left behind, and THAT, is indeed tragic. 

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian
  • Brohoof 2

It's been eight years. Tastes change, things come and go. I think a lot of bronies are still bronies, they may just not interact with others as much.

In short, bronies will become animation's equivalent of Trekkies. In the background, but never gone.

2 hours ago, bornAgainBrony said:

Sorry, but that feels very nearsighted to even think this is JUST about a show being cancelled. And if you have been around that long, i have trouble believing you don't realize that. There's something very different about how mlp has influenced lives. It was so unprecedented that the psychiatric community took notice and tried to figure out "why?" Sometimes it feels to me like a minor hippie movement in disguise, but with a different set of stigmas attached. The value of the fandom goes far beyond entertainment, there is something of a social movement, and for some, even a spiritual one. In our cynical age where even random acts of compassion are met with distrust, it gave a place for people who didn't feel at home anywhere else, a place much better than the everyday; where people who shared something in common that ran VERY deep, could be together, and that's something i haven't seen with other fandoms. Equestria, in a way, extended beyond the screen and left a big mark on a lot of hearts, and inspired the best in us. When FIM ends, i just don't see anything replacing it. There will be countless other shows to watch, and things to do, but that won't fill the void that is left behind, and THAT, is indeed tragic. 

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

Goodness gracious, did that really hit a nerve? :laugh:
You must be new here, kid. Your profile does suggest as much.

You see, this month will mark the 9th year of me being in this fandom and you know what, you really should be not one bit surprised that I've said what I've said. Eight years is a long time. A very long time and so many things happened in those eight years, so much that I've experienced. I used to think just like you when I was dumb and naive but the fandom itself eventually beat that out of me. You can rest assured that the beating went on for years and years until I finally got the memo: bronies are just people. That's all they are, all that they've ever been and all that they'll ever be. IMO I'm finding the broader furry fandom to be more welcoming. That that how you will. Not to say there aren't a few gems in this mound of sludge but just like in life -- in real life -- you need to keep your wits about you. Trust is often regarded as something sacred but there are plenty of people who will think nothing of abusing your trust -- especially if they look to you as disposable and even better if they have the social capital and the ruthless cunning to turn the community against you should you dare call them out for their BS. I could look back on how I've gotten screwed again and again in the fandom and just laugh. The only reason I had to go through all that was because I was too stupid and too inexperienced to know any better. Painful as it may have been, I'm thankful for the disillusionment because now I can rebuild myself into something that's more adapted and less based on wishful thinking like before. Look to me and see your future self. Trust me, I would not have liked what I would have seen either.

In all my experience, one thing has been made unequivocally clear: those bronies who pride themselves on following the friendship lessons are rotten hypocrites right into their very cores. The whole "magic of friendship" shtick never turns out to be anything more than a façade. Put their "magic of friendship" to the test with even a little bit of heat and pressure and you'll see what's really behind the mask. Keeping appearances is easy in the absence of any heat.

Of course, I'm under no illusion that you'll heed any of my words. I just think it's too bad I won't get to see you get screwed and suffer so much confusion like I did.

Edited by Querch
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Red Cedar said:

It's been eight years. Tastes change, things come and go. I think a lot of bronies are still bronies, they may just not interact with others as much.

In short, bronies will become animation's equivalent of Trekkies. In the background, but never gone. 

Star Trek, really is the last time i think a tv show did something like this. Only "roddenberry" got booted off the project pretty quick in this case. Which isn't helping my confidence in G5. I keep wishing for a "next generation" approach instead of a reboot. Instead we could get a "classic vs j.j. abrams" level of fandom disaster if G5 ends up being pure mindless entertainment with little substance.

1 hour ago, Querch said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

Goodness gracious, did that really hit a nerve? :laugh:
You must be new here, kid. Your profile does suggest as much.

You see, this month will mark the 9th year of me being in this fandom and you know what, you really should be not one bit surprised that I've said what I've said. Eight years is a long time. A very long time and so many things happened in those eight years, so much that I've experienced. I used to think just like you when I was dumb and naive but the fandom itself eventually beat that out of me. You can rest assured that the beating went on for years and years until I finally got the memo: bronies are just people. That's all they are, all that they've ever been and all that they'll ever be. IMO I'm finding the broader furry fandom to be more welcoming. That that how you will. Not to say there aren't a few gems in this mound of sludge but just like in life -- in real life -- you need to keep your wits about you. Trust is often regarded as something sacred but there are plenty of people who will think nothing of abusing your trust -- especially if they look to you as disposable and even better if they have the social capital and the ruthless cunning to turn the community against you should you dare call them out for their BS. I could look back on how I've gotten screwed again and again in the fandom and just laugh. The only reason I had to go through all that was because I was too stupid and too inexperienced to know any better. Painful as it may have been, I'm thankful for the disillusionment because now I can rebuild myself into something that's more adapted and less based on wishful thinking like before. Look to me and see your future self. Trust me, I would not have liked what I would have seen either.

In all my experience, one thing has been made unequivocally clear: those bronies who pride themselves on following the friendship lessons are rotten hypocrites right into their very cores. The whole "magic of friendship" shtick never turns out to be anything more than a façade. Put their "magic of friendship" to the test with even a little bit of heat and pressure and you'll see what's really behind the mask. Keeping appearances is easy in the absence of any heat.

Of course, I'm under no illusion that you'll heed any of my words. I just think it's too bad I won't get to see you get screwed and suffer so much confusion like I did.

Is this one of those "righteous trolling" type of things, because it sure feels like it. Not that I think you're lying about what you've experienced, (though i don't have a clue how you got into something that seems like you are describing a literal campaign against you) but you seem to be enjoying this far too much. Not sure if that's just "for the lulz" or if it's more of a, "it happened to me, so it should happen to everyone" sort of attitude. Maybe being George Carlin as you laugh at the world burning works for some, but certainly not everyone. But if you think i see bronyism as a utopia, you're way off, and I am not blind to the drama that unfolds, which no fandom is immune to. Nothing ever done by humans can come so close to perfection. As for adapting.... been there, done that, it made things worse. And i'm not even talking about mlp, i'm talking about pretty much my whole life. I've tried being someone more cynical, more abrasive, etc. enough times... it was a disaster that actually hurt ME more than being the positive, whimsical one. 

P.S. I know some furries, we get along fine, though i dont know if there has been intermixing as far as bronies and furries. I'm fine doing the canterlot high tail and ears thing. That's much more "me." And even were that not the case, i'm definitely not full bodied fursuit material. I would melt to death in 10 seconds flat, otherwise i'd be making a living dancing around Walt Disney World in a Pluto costume

Edited by bornAgainEquestrian

3 hours ago, bornAgainBrony said:

Star Trek, really is the last time i think a tv show did something like this. Only "roddenberry" got booted off the project pretty quick in this case. Which isn't helping my confidence in G5. I keep wishing for a "next generation" approach instead of a reboot. Instead we could get a "classic vs j.j. abrams" level of fandom disaster if G5 ends up being pure mindless entertainment with little substance.

It could also be a case of "classic vs. Ronald Moore" scenario. I wasn't thrilled with what I saw prior to the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, but it lasted longer than the original, by far.

• Brohoof 1

On 8/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, Twilight Luna said:

The only thing that has really changed is the fire of the fandom. Almost 10,000 people used to attend Bronycon, years ago. About half that showed up this year. Some fans have gotten older and moved on to other things and some jumped ship after season Star Trek franchise is still strong because of fans despite there not being any shows on public broadcast in about 15 years, devisive reboot films and online show. There used to be a lot more fan content out there before Hasbo and their cease and desist orders. Hasbro doesn’t like your using their property to create music or videos but is fine with you making artwork and plushies to sell at conventions. No one said Hasbro made sense. But with Gen5 coming out in less than two years, we will see how strong the fandom stays.

And now BronyCon is over forever...one last hurraw next year an that wil be it

It's a thing among people to be as pessimistic as possible; fear is, indeed, the strongest emotion of them all.

However, the community will shrink.  This is a given.  G5 may change that, but we cannot know for sure.  Instead, the community will adapt and change in line with the changing circumstances.  So while the Brony community even 10 years from now will be radically different, it will still be the Brony community, but better attuned to it's more niche status at the very least.

• Brohoof 1

The fandom may shrink, and it may change in scope. But the end of new Star Wars films (before either of the new trilogies) didn't kill the fandom surrounding it. I suspect brony will be much the same way.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I’m Filmshoot Tarantino and I just wanted to all of you a question: will the brony fandom end after bronycon 2019 and if so then should I make content and set out for my future dream?

My dream is to become a filmmaker and voice actor and work along with the lost narrator, Magpiepony, scribbler etc. and why I ask you this is because all my ideas are from mlp nothing more but mlp and making films, writing stories, and voice overs and reading fanfics.

but if there’s no brony fandom to support you then what the hell the point? Because if the brony fandom dies and mlp dies then I have nothing my dream will be gone. I mean sure I can get a film scholarship but i won’t have any ideas.

so i need someone to tell me that’s it’s okay it not the end not yet because every time I try to think of the positive output in all this it always comes back into my head and I don’t want to think that.

i just made a YouTube channel and Fimfiction acount I haven’t written or made any videos yet but if the brony fandom is going to die then what’s the point in making anything at all?

i just want to that being a brony is the best thing to ever happen to me. I love mlp fim. I love what the Bronies have done for people. But I don’t know if I should make anything at all because if all that great stuff disappears then I have nothing.

i just want you all to know that even though i might know you a lot of you guys

i love you with all my heart and i hope and pray that it won’t be the end not for our generation.

if anyone finds this please spread what I had to say.

and I’m going to put a link to my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZOnt7Gieeu-lJwdSvuFyNg

and also a link to my fimfiction page.

https://www.fimfiction.net/user/333581/Brony+Tarantino

please you guys I’m not joking I’m doing this just for attention i just want your honest opinion about this. Should I make any content for you all?

yours very respectfully: Flimshoot Tarantino

• Brohoof 2