Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread The state of the Brony fandom (Numbers, Popularly, Future)

Skar

Just because a series ends, it doesn’t mean that everyone drops it and forgets about it. The phenomenon known as bronies will still be talked about after the series is over. Star Trek is still being discussed and has conventions 13 years after the last series was aired on TV. There are still fandoms for cartoons I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s. 

As for writing fanfiction as the series ends, I will continue to do it as long as it makes me happy.

• Brohoof 4

The brony fandom is a strange one. I mean, before the fandom, would you have expected this? Honestly, this fandom is gonna last for a long while since many of us have been doing this for many years. It's became a major part of our lives. Honestly, I couldn't imagine a day without doing something pony related. To me, it's become as common as eating or even breathing.

• Brohoof 2

No, the fandom won't end, a topic I've covered enough times to make reiterating anything I've already said redundant. If you love the show, don't let anything stop you from following your dream and making content inspired by it. The fandom is always going to have low points and high points of activity, but you can still create something of great quality that will stick with us for life. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

I, for one, have been working on an ambitious fangame since 2012, and I'm not going to stop building it even if DHX stops making G-4 episodes.

Besides, for all we know, G-5 will be even better than G-4 was, and just as worthy of our devotion.  (It's a high bar, I know, but I wouldn't call it impossible!)

• Brohoof 1

The brony fandom is a MUCH bigger ocean than BronyCon on it's own. While it was the biggest, BABScon and Everfree NW can fill that void well enough, and we have plenty of smaller cons as well. Even then, we still have solid online communities, a strong fan art/music/fiction scene, and people still generally in love with the franchise.

So yeah; I see no death in the future. Contraction; yes, but no death.

• Brohoof 4

The fandom will keep on going long after the last Bronycon next year. As Pathfinder said, it's likely going to reduce in numbers--contraction--but not enough where everything suddenly comes to an end just like that. As long as there is still passion, this fandom will continue to exist.

• Brohoof 3

Fandoms don't die, they just calm down , and all fandoms do it. Let's not pretend the fact this fandom even had as many large, successful conventions all around the world as it did is anything other than rare for single show fandoms. The fandom was bound to deflate noticeably eventually, because it blew up noticably. We're just leveling off, and I wish people would quit the 'fandom is dying' doomsday discussions.

I went to BronyCon 13' - 15' and it was an amazing experience, so I know how people feel. I was struggling with life stagnancy and depression and the fandom, by extension BronyCon helped me build a path out of it. I've never witnessed a more creative fandom than this one and it might never get topped, but all things come to an end.

The fandom isn't going to die after BronyCon, nor will after the last season. That said, if we're to take anything away from BronyCon's end, it's the old addage: don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

• Brohoof 1

Fandom won't die, Fandom will be alive for many years after "official" end. The reasons for my statements are such things as: the Bronies' lifestyle, their activity, creativity, determination, involvement (underlined: involvement), theirs' positive consequences and many, many other things. The Fandom, which had been even talked in TV Shows ( https://www.google.pl/search?q=TV+talking+about+bronies&rlz=1C1CHBD_plPL810PL810&oq=TV+talking+about+bronies&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.3075j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 ) can't die just because the official show ends. As many people said above, some shows still have dedicated fans after years after official endings or silent periods. Don't worry, as even with a bit shrinked community I believe you will make a succes =) Go now! You can do it! =D

• Brohoof 1

Heya ponies,

I agree with Iam!  I think Fandoms are like watching stars twinkle in the sky; just because you or someone you know looked away from it doesn't mean that someone else in the world isn't looking up at that very same part of the galaxy.  My Little Pony has become strong enough to last and last.  Kind of like Wendy and Richard Pini's Elfquest series.  Look how long they've been around!  =)

Honor and fun,

Summer Storm =)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

DONT. WORRY. A bunch of my old high school friends are huge Avatar the last airbender fans, and have comic books.  People need to quit worrying.  to qoute black willy wonka fron the nostalgia critic, "true beauty never fades. you just need to be reminded of it." And twilight from equestria girls: "This isnt goodbye forever. just goodbye FOR NOW." 

DONT. WORRY.A bunch of my old high school friends are huge Avatar the last airbender fans, and have comic books.  People need to quit worrying.  to qoute black willy wonka fron the nostalgia critic, "true beauty never fades. you just need to be reminded of it." And twilight from equestria girls: "This isnt goodbye forever. just goodbye FOR NOW." NT. WORRY.

• Brohoof 1

The way that I see it, I will continue to provide for the fandom until it no longer exists.  By that point, I'll be at least well known enough to continue on with my own devices.  However, this isn't to say that the fandom won't blossom into an independent community as the Furry community is.  If that happens, I will stay for as long as I am able.

19 minutes ago, Miti said:

The way that I see it, I will continue to provide for the fandom until it no longer exists.  By that point, I'll be at least well known enough to continue on with my own devices.  However, this isn't to say that the fandom won't blossom into an independent community as the Furry community is.  If that happens, I will stay for as long as I am able.

Pretty much what I'm hoping for if Hasbro drops the ball. Furry fandom is actually growing, and they don't even need a show.

On 9/10/2018 at 12:47 AM, ccb20yes said:

DONT. WORRY. A bunch of my old high school friends are huge Avatar the last airbender fans, and have comic books.  People need to quit worrying.  to qoute black willy wonka fron the nostalgia critic, "true beauty never fades. you just need to be reminded of it." And twilight from equestria girls: "This isnt goodbye forever. just goodbye FOR NOW." 

That's a really good point about the ATLA. Me and my family and friends are still huge fans of that. 

Even if the main hubub, hype and culture over a show dies down, people tend to remain life-long fans of the ones that have an impact on them.

Brony culture as we've known it is in decline, but people aren't going to stop being fans of it or remembering the good times.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope not! I only just recently got into the fandom, I would hate if it died :( Especially with this year being the last BronyCon, I hope there’s a replacement for it. But there’s hope yet!

Coming from the perspective of someone who wouldn't really call himself a brony these days (I haven't watched since season 5) I would say yes but I've been in worse. Nearly all the people I knew online or in real life who were into it back during it's heyday (so 2012 and 2013) have all moved on and don't even bring it up anymore. This can be pinned down to a number of factors (I plan to make a whole video on it) that I won't get into here (wanna save them for said video). Although unlike a lot of people here I do believe G5 could bring back a lot of the old members. I'm not sure what the policy towards leaks is around here so I won't talk about it (you can message me if you want to hear about that). I'll never forget those days.

1 hour ago, chirox the pony said:

Coming from the perspective of someone who wouldn't really call himself a brony these days (I haven't watched since season 5) I would say yes but I've been in worse. Nearly all the people I knew online or in real life who were into it back during it's heyday (so 2012 and 2013) have all moved on and don't even bring it up anymore. This can be pinned down to a number of factors (I plan to make a whole video on it) that I won't get into here (wanna save them for said video). Although unlike a lot of people here I do believe G5 could bring back a lot of the old members. I'm not sure what the policy towards leaks is around here so I won't talk about it (you can message me if you want to hear about that). I'll never forget those days.

I really feel like a new documentary is in in order on the level of the original "Brony Story." Something akin to "the story so far," detailing the ups and downs that have taken place since the beginning. Obviously Twilicorn is a biggy, but also the Derpy war, random Hasbro blunders, etc.

Loyalty is being tested though, as happens in every fandom.

8 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

I really feel like a new documentary is in in order on the level of the original "Brony Story." Something akin to "the story so far," detailing the ups and downs that have taken place since the beginning. Obviously Twilicorn is a biggy, but also the Derpy war, random Hasbro blunders, etc.

Loyalty is being tested though, as happens in every fandom.

Yeah I'm afraid I see my video being half an hour at most. It would be cool to have another documentary to send out FIM but I don't think the funding is there like it used to be. Although I do have a feeling that when the official announcement of cancellation comes it'll be pretty big news that might get people interested again. 

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I believe the fandom is dying because of the ending of FiM. I mean, FiM is truly why this website- or the Brony fandom even exists. It was such a success when the show first aired, and it would always remain in a special place in my heart. As the show progressed, I think some ponies got bored of watching the show. The writers are starting to run out of ideas, and It had a huge change in the last few seasons, with showcasing new characters and stuff. It would be a bit confusing to those who choose to watch FiM again. MLP won't be the same after this change, but you know, gotta sell those toys.

• Brohoof 1

So what is everyone suggesting here?

Deliver it some sort of final blow so it can be put out of its misery (both fandom and show) ? Or still treasure the show because it's important to you?

Right now I couldn't care less if the fandom somehow erected a headstone for its " death" . I only care much about my memories when I've watched the show by myself.

Why does it matter if it is dying or not? If you want to jump off ship than go ahead, I know I'll be around until it's on its last legs.