Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could product placement ruin the movie?

KillerKingBakudan

FIM in and of itself is obviously meant to market the toys, and that's fine. But what if different companies offered Hasbro a huge sum of money to promote THEIR stuff in the 2017 movie? 

There could be a scene in Manehattan with billboards containing ads for Coke and Pepsi. A scene where the Mane Six are eating at a Pizza Hut. Or even some kind of sporting event where ponies are geared up in active wear from Nike and Adidas.

Would this put bronies off?

To be honest, there's not a chance this will happen. Product placement with real life gear such as Coke & Pepsi wouldn't make any sense in the FiM universe. Hasbro isn't that desperate for cash to the point to where they'd blatantly shove real life ads in the movie.

• Brohoof 2

To be honest, there's not a chance this will happen. Product placement with real life gear such as Coke & Pepsi wouldn't make any sense in the FiM universe. Hasbro isn't that desperate for cash to the point to where they'd blatantly shove real life ads in the movie.

For a company that needlessly cuts corners on its action figures, I wouldn't put it past them. Even if it didn't make sense, Coke and Pepsi wouldn't have to be referenced directly. The letters in the brand names could be obstructed or altered to sound similar, yet still like something ponies would drink. Or they could just use the logos so people would immediately recognize them.

Pernsally annoyed by product plamtents . LIke in Zootpoida thier wa blantaint avert for the OPHone cause judy had one..I mean come on!

Granted this is equetria we are talking about not OUR wolds. product placement only works in fi'ms taking place in our world.

it be liek seeing a ad for Ford dealer in skyrim ...it doesn't work

It's happened before in other movies, who's to say it wouldn't ruin this?

So yes, I think it would ruin the movie.

Pernsally annoyed by product plamtents . LIke in Zootpoida thier wa blantaint avert for the OPHone cause judy had one..I mean come on!

Granted this is equetria we are talking about not OUR wolds. product placement only works in fi'ms taking place in our world.

it be liek seeing a ad for Ford dealer in skyrim ...it doesn't work

But they probably changed "iPhone" to "oPhone" to avoid Apple suing, since if Apple paid, they'd probably just call it "iPhone".

FIM in and of itself is obviously meant to market the toys, and that's fine. But what if different companies offered Hasbro a huge sum of money to promote THEIR stuff in the 2017 movie? 

There could be a scene in Manehattan with billboards containing ads for Coke and Pepsi. A scene where the Mane Six are eating at a Pizza Hut. Or even some kind of sporting event where ponies are geared up in active wear from Nike and Adidas.

Would this put bronies off?

I don't think something like Coke or Pepsi would even exist in Equestria. 

I also don't think they'd eat at a Pizza Hut. If the Mane Six DID eat at a pizza place, it'd probably be a generic pizza place, like the burger joint in Twilight Time was an unnamed burger joint. 

I don't think something like Coke or Pepsi would even exist in Equestria. 

I also don't think they'd eat at a Pizza Hut. If the Mane Six DID eat at a pizza place, it'd probably be a generic pizza place, like the burger joint in Twilight Time was an unnamed burger joint. 

Or possibly a pizza place that still had the Hut logo on it, with the name changed to "Pizza Shack" or something close to it. 

That would not make sense to so that in a show like that, ans I doubt they would want to advertise on that. :huh:

It's not like the MLP movie will be some blockbuster, anyway. 

I think companies would offer money to promote their products on the bigger movies.

It wouldn't put me off. Product placement doesn't bother me unless it is crazy in your face. For example if someone used a certain phone in a film it wouldn't bother me but if they were drinking pepsi and every time they took a sip they went "Ah delicious" then it would be bad XD

That depends. Is it the legit real world product, or is it a clever pun inspired by a real life product? The former is just unnecessary in an animated film, while the latter wouldn't bother me because it's already done in FiM with locations like Manehatten, Cloudsdale, and Las Pegasus.

• Brohoof 1

It would certainly be a jarring distraction that would yank me right out of that alternate world and send me screaming back to earth. Products from this world have no place in the MLP universe unless they're cleverly re-named to have ponyish connotations. 

That depends. Is it the legit real world product, or is it a clever pun inspired by a real life product? The former is just unnecessary in an animated film, while the latter wouldn't bother me because it's already done in FiM with locations like Manehatten, Cloudsdale, and Las Pegasus.

This says it perfectly.  :proud:

• Brohoof 1

This really isn't the type of product placement that occurs in the show, so I am not worried about this. The movie will probably introduce new characters and locations to sell toys instead

Honestly, why do people pretend product placements ruin movies, as long as they're not just uselessly consuming screen time and are not feeling foreign to the movie, I don't care. It's not like Bumblebee will randomly fly across the sky.

Edited by Sapphire Shadow

Okay, seriously, what animated film does that these days besides Hotel Transylvania?

I don't think we'll see the ponies wearing Nikes or eating pizza.  But we will likely see new toy lines being shown off in the movie.

This really isn't the type of product placement that occurs in the show, so I am not worried about this. The movie will probably introduce new characters and locations to sell toys instead

Pretty much this.  I just hope they don't replace cast members in the movie.

Edited by SBaby

Would it ruin the movie? No. Would it even happen? Also no. Why would there be any kind of real world product placement whatsoever in Equestria?

I can see it now.  A billboard saying "Doritos, Pinkie approved!" With Pinkie giving a wink next to a bag of Doritos.

I think its highly unlikely Hasbro will even bother. They're making enough money on MLP-related merchandise advertised via the show that they don't need to stoop to something so crass as to put in a product that simply doesn't exist in Equestria. Otherwise, it would have happened by now. There was no non-Hasbro product placement in the original G1 Transformers animated movie, and that was set on Earth. They won't do it now.

Edited by Red Cedar

I think its highly unlikely Hasbro will even bother. They're making enough money on MLP-related merchandise advertised via the show that they don't need to stoop to something so crass as to put in a product that simply doesn't exist in Equestria. Otherwise, it would have happened by now. There was no non-Hasbro product placement in the original G1 Transformers animated movie, and that was set on Earth. They won't do it now.

>Transformers

that was then, we've got stuff like DISPENSER now!

Mountaindewrobot+02.jpg

(not that I think we'll GET product placement, just pointing out that transformers isn't a good example of defying product placement :P)

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

>Transformers

that was then, we've got stuff like DISPENSER now!

sig-4692128.Mountaindewrobot%2002.jpg

(not that I think we'll GET product placement, just pointing out that transformers isn't a good example of defying product placement :P)

Product placement in live-action films is par for the course, I agree. Animated films still tend not to have much if any of it because parents are already aware their kids are being advertised to for toys as it is. They tend not to like their children being sold to any more blatantly than that.