Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What ethnicity do you think each pony could be as humans?

cider float

lmfaööööööööööööööööö

Twilight - Asian

Fluttershy - basic white girl

Rarity - annoying white bish

Applejack - whiteeeeeeeee farm gurl

rainbow dash - a lot of people portray her as black for some reason but I consider ha blasian

Pinkie pie - she's a robot...... or hispanic but thats not a race

Edited by Bright Lights

Basically, anything.

Some of them might play to certain stereotype, like Applejack with her southern belle charm, but there really is no definite proof that any of them correspond with one ethnic group or another. For all we know, AJ could be hispanic (for example), only she's been raised in an area where people talk certain way and act certain way, so she of course grows up to follow that model.

• Brohoof 1

I can see Twilight as English, both because of her fascination with literature - England being the home to various famous novels such as "The Lord Of The Flies" and the "Sherlock Holmes" series - and the fact that unicorns are very present in European myth as a whole.

I imagine Pinkie would be Brazilian, her big and over the top ways of celebrating are similar to the way Brazilians celebrate holidays such as the Carnaval and New Year.

Applejack is North American, because of course she is.

Rainbow Dash would be Greek, after all, the legend of the pegasus originally came from Greece AND the Greeks were famous for their fascination with sports.

I see Rarity as either Italian or French, two highly influential countries in the fashion industry.

Fluttershy is a tricky one: she could be Canadian, Japanese, German, any ethnicity with a culture that values being quiet and reserved, really.

Edited by GreenGreenWhirlWind

I assume all ponies are of Indo-European descent. This is because we have seen species that are aligned with certain groups such as:

Zebra = Sub-Saharan African

Buffalo = Native American

Horses = Arab

Specifics less certain.

Twilight: German or Serbian. Thinking of Nikola Tesla with the latter.

Rainbow Dash: Somehow I see Russian to be suitable.

Fluttershy: Don't know.

Applejack: Obvious.

Rarity: American, British or mix of both based off of how she speaks.

Pinkie Pie: American based off of how her parents are like.

Haven't developed much of a justification for the specific ethnicity.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

Twi= Asian

RD= somewhere between south american/African/middle eastern. since i can see her with dark/tan skin

AJ= country  Caucasian girl

Fluffershy= Islander 

Pinkie= south american

Rarity= European. 

Oh, boy. :lie:

I don't consider myself a racist...but I've always imagined them all as Caucasian (save for Twilight--I've always thought of her as Latino). It wasn't a conscious decision, just the mental image I formed of them early on.

Please don't hate me...

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

I can see Chrysalis being Eastern European, possibly Romanian.

Daring Do maybe Australian even if she doesn't have the accent.

Amber/Ember (whatever her name is) maybe Northern European maybe Swedish.

Coriander and his daughter is Indian.

I don't consider myself a racist...but I've always imagined them all as Caucasian (save for Twilight--I've always thought of her as Latino). It wasn't a conscious decision, just the mental image I formed of them early on.

Please don't hate me...

Dude, take it easy. I realize that there is a quite common thing to hate people for being "Racists" but I don't think people here are those kinda people. We're better than that.

I wouldn't hate you anyways. :)

• Brohoof 1

Please don't hate me...

The fact that you are even worried about being considered a racist goes to show how messed up the world we live in now is.  Nobody is going to hate you for that.  Given the absence of any information to the contrary it's perfectly natural to visualise the characters as being from whatever cultural background you most readily relate to, that is to say, your own.

As to my own view, I pretty much see them all being North American, with the possible exception of Rarity (who could be from South-East England) based purely on their accents and the lack of any other cultural identifiers.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 3

Pinkie Pie: Japanese

Rarity: Turkish or French

Rainbow Dash: Australian

Fluttershy: British

Applejack Southern American

Twilight: Possibly Korean

Nobody should take this topic too seriously, it is all in good fun. :)

• Brohoof 3

if they were all to be from Europe id have them as so:

Dash: Mean loud rude rough East Londoner. She wouldve rocked the punk scene in the 80s.

Rarity: Posh French/British maybe even Italian, because London, Paris and Milan are huge in fashion biz.

Fluttershy: I'd like to see Irish, but a quiet Irish who lives on a secluded island from the mainland or something. or she would be with a Devonshire accent, because Devon has Ex and Dartmoor for her to live on (its the accent you hear if you've ever seen War Horse) 

AJ: SOMERSET accent, where im from, its Cider/farmer country here in the UK. So she would be talking like that on Hot Fuzz. (im very Somerset proud too)

Pinkie Pie: Tough one but I want to put her in Germany or Switzerland, somewhere known for its sweets and her with the accent could be great.

Twilight: She would be British, but general posh, went to study in Oxford or Cambridge posh. 

Aside from AJ being southern american, pretty much anything. Anyway, that's how I would picture them:

• Rarity: British or American because of her accent.
  • Rainbow Dash: British. I'm not sure why but that kind of fits her, and I can picture the Wonderbolts being a football team like the Manchester or the Chelsea one.
  • Twilight: Japanese just because  :P
  • Pinkie Pie: Tough call, but probably German since the stereotype is that German people are very serious and distant, and she comes from that kind of environment. 
  • Fluttershy: Idk, Canadian?

• 1 year later...

Well... There is personality and then there is ascetics. If I wanted to make the cast more diverse.

-

Twilight/Rairty: I can see them being White (Or Hebrew if you wanted to get really esoteric) I would also be really interested to see them as South Asian. Like Indian. I have to admit that I am actually pretty fond of the darker skin pallet for Twilight.

Pinkie: White.....?

AppleJack: White? I Mean the Ozark accent is so wonderful. (I'm a sucker for a Ozark accent) But I could also go with a Latina accent.. But as I point out to a friend of mine, that would mean that the Latina pony would be.. well picking fruit. And that, might be a issue from a cultural sensitive stand point. But then I have to wonder if saying that a Latina cant be a farmer is like.. double reverse culturally insensitive? I can see ether fine.

Rainbow Dash: I can see her as Asian or White or Latina. Any works really. I don't know why I never pictures her as being darker, i mean it looks fine, it just never struck me.

Fluttershy: Asian or white.

-

There is that entire discussion of how diverse does it need to be to actually be pandering... Because I'm fine with a diverse accent (that's basically a pony ethnicity) I mean we have seen Indian ponies before. And Asian ponies. And middle eastern Ponies. So clearly there are accent/ethnicity.

But at what point does it actually become pandering in a story to mix it up to much? I don't know but this is why I would never make it as a network executive and whey they are all crazy...

• 2 months later...

Twilight- asian

rainbow dash- Hispanic

applejack- white

rarity- arab

fluttershy- white

pinkie- hispanic

Starlight- white

trixie- white

discord- pacific islander

celestia- white

luna- black

cadence- Asian 

scootaloo- black

sweetiebell- white

applebloom- white

• 2 years later...

Should this really be a topic? Should be locked imo. 

This whole thread is making me cringe. Besides the responses that say "it's doesn't matter"

Edited by Misscellanio

1 minute ago, Kujamih said:

@Misscellanio no not really.

pinkie has pink and curly hair reminds me of the europian dysney princess so shes scotch 

Rarity can be white or asian

Twilight can be african Applejack.. emerican Fluttershy gives me the beetles vibe. Rainbow dash...20% cooler

ehhhh stop. Ur making it worse

2 hours ago, Misscellanio said:

Should this really be a topic? Should be locked imo. 

This whole thread is making me cringe. Besides the responses that say "it's doesn't matter"

I kinda have to agree.