Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. Cartoons don't always live by the rules and regulations of our world, it could be perfectly normal for a pony to be living on their own by the time they were 14. I mean look at Pokemon for example Ash started his journey across the world when he was only 10 lol.

This is true. Ash left home and traveled the world at age 10. This is probably the best example because in the real world, not only does a 10 year old boy belong in school, but traveling the world is dangerous.

Edited by hironakamura

Didn't lauren faust once say that they were "young adults"(a person aging from 20-40).They call themselves "mares"(adult female hores).To be honest their all fully grown horses there is no denying that.In the show not once have i ever heard anypony call them "little girls","young ladies" or anything like that.I do hear everypony call'em "miss","lady" and all sorts of things adult women would be called.with that said, i'll put them around 20-30 range of age.No older or younger.

For me it goes like this.

Rarity,Applejack(oldest, and they own businesses)

Rainbow Dash,Fluttershy(they both were in school at the same time)

Pinkie Pie(she's a year younger then Fluttershy)

Twilight Sparkle(youngest)

Then again Twilight could be older then all of them, idk, LOL.I'll stick with what lauren faust said(since it's more cannon) and leave them around 20-30.

I don't think they've ever once referred to themselves as mares. And as for the whole 'miss' and 'lady' thing, I've seen young girls get called that.

Anyway, based on the season finale and the Laws of Magical Girls, I would probably put them in the realm of being teenagers, probably around 15 to 16.

Celestia's been around longer than anypony is she immortal or something?Or aging slowly because she's been around for atleast a thousand years.

There are alot of theories about the reason for her age. Some people think it has to do with her Cutie Mark, and others think that's just how all ponies in Equestria are. Then there are those that think it might be because she was connected to the Elements of Harmony and that their power might have slowed her aging, or even halted it altogether.

Edited by SBaby

And as for the whole 'miss' and 'lady' thing, I've seen young girls get called that.

Anyway, based on the season finale and the Laws of Magical Girls, I would probably put them in the realm of being teenagers, probably around 15 to 16.

Mentally right, other then that i don't think so.Thats to young.Even for Pinkie Pie.I'm saying that becuz lauren faust said they are "suppose" to be young adults.That Means they can't be any younger then 20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt2ScB5Hgk

They all live without parents,some of them have jobs and own businesses and all sorts of things.It's hard to believe their any younger then 20.

Mentally right, other then that i don't think so.Thats to young.Even for Pinkie Pie.I'm saying that becuz lauren faust said they are "suppose" to be young adults.That Means they can't be any younger then 20.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCt2ScB5Hgk

They all live without parents,some of them have jobs and own businesses and all sorts of things.It's hard to believe their any younger then 20.

Well, I've played alot of RPGs where the main protagonists lived without their parents and were 15 or 16, so it really isn't as unusual as one might think. It happens all the time in games and Anime. And let's face it. FiM is AT LEAST partially Anime-inspired. And I really hate to mention this because I can't stand the show, but the Teen Titans lived without their parents too... And to be fair, I got my first part-time job when I was 16.

And when you think about it, most of the ponies actually do have some sort of parental figure that checks up on them on a regular basis. Twilight has Princess Celestia (you could argue that they all do), Apple Jack has Big Macintosh and Granny Smith (whom she presumably lives with), Pinkie Pie has the Cakes (whom she lives with). Rarity has her parents (which visit from time to time). I'm sure Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have parental figures too. We just haven't seen them yet.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the case. But given the target demographic, coupled with the way the ponies generally act, it really isn't that out of line to think that they could be teenagers.

Edited by SBaby

ok first off i respect your opinion but teen titans rocked second they all had super powers or were highly trained so they could take care of themselves third ??? fourth profit

Well, I've played alot of RPGs where the main protagonists lived without their parents and were 15 or 16, so it really isn't as unusual as one might think. It happens all the time in games and Anime. And let's face it. FiM is AT LEAST partially Anime-inspired. And I really hate to mention this because I can't stand the show, but the Teen Titans lived without their parents too... And to be fair, I got my first part-time job when I was 16.

And when you think about it, most of the ponies actually do have some sort of parental figure that checks up on them on a regular basis. Twilight has Princess Celestia (you could argue that they all do), Apple Jack has Big Macintosh and Granny Smith (whom she presumably lives with), Pinkie Pie has the Cakes (whom she lives with). Rarity has her parents (which visit from time to time). I'm sure Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy have parental figures too. We just haven't seen them yet.

I'm not saying that this is definitely the case. But given the target demographic, coupled with the way the ponies generally act, it really isn't that out of line to think that they could be teenagers.

Yes,yes i know that.i played legend of zelda.Anyway, lauran said they are suppose to be 'young adults", that means they can't be any younger then 20 years.Which then makes sense why two of them own busineses and own jobs.I'll say twilight and pinkie might be the youngest since they have yet to accomplish anythingn for themselves.I'ved seen adults to age 30 without jobs, i'd call pinkie a stay at home junkie, lol.Well the fact that in equestria ponies need parents is another factor.You don't see applebloom,sweetiebelle etc..without their parents unless they are being baby sat like rarity does.this must mean twilight and pinkie pie have grown to the age where they must leave the house.I'm guessing pinkie's parents kicked her out and made her live with the cakes so she can do something with her life. lol

Well, if Princess Celestia is anything to go on, i'd say between 18-20 (i'd say 15-16, but they live on their own). However, if your judging age by Granny Smith, i'd say mid 20's like everyone else. It really depends on which pony you determine ages by.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Applejack and Rarity as being one of the two eldest ones maybe twenty or late teens based on intellectual and maturity level, then Twilight, Rainbow and Fluttershy being a bit on the younger end of mid teens, and Pinkie Pie being somewhere in the mix xD

:huh: Hmmm... yeah, I agree with what everypony else seems to be saying; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 18-22. Yeah, that seems about right to me.

:huh: Hmmm... yeah, I agree with what everypony else seems to be saying; I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 18-22. Yeah, that seems about right to me.

Agreed.

I remember when I used to think that they were 12-16 years old :lol:. Then I realized why do all but Applejack live on their own? Now I think it more like this:

Twi - 22 years old

RD - 20 years old

Rarity - 24 years old

Fluttershy - 19 years old

Pinkie - 18 years old

Applejack - 17 years old (Since she still lives with her sister, bro and grandma. Could possibly be because she is their best worker, though, but I'd still think she'd at least have her own farm if she was a few years older)

(edited)

I will never understand how anyone comes to the conclusion they're in their 20s.... They act like they're around 13.... just because they live on their own doesn't mean anything lol, tons of young cartoon characters live on their own, this is Equestria we're talking about not the United States, their world is not reflective of ours...

Edited by Hollowshield

(edited)

I would say they're all 14-20 ish.

Rarity > Fluttershy > Applejack > Pinkie > Rainbow Dash > Twilight Sparkle

Rarity: She has her own business, fantasizes of getting married in the near future, and is very mature. Therefore, I'm guessing she is about 19 or 20.

Fluttershy: Well, she's a year older than Pinkie. I'm guessing she's about 18.

Applejack: She seems around the age of 16 or 17.

Pinkie: I'm guessing about 16 or 17 again, because she's a year younger than Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash: She seems like a competitive teenager, so I'm guessing 15 or 16.

Twilight: Somewhere between 14 and 16, she is still a student but is also very independent.

Edited by DiscordxChaos

I always figured if we were talking realistically, 18-22 sounds about right. But this is a cartoon, it doesn't have to be realistic or make sense. I would think that the producers would want the target demographic to feel a little more connected to the mane 6 by not having them actually "act their age", so to speak. So I would guess if there were ever to be an official answer, that they would probably be more around the ages of 10-15.