Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

(edited)

^^ What he said. How many times has it been mentioned in this thread that Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie? :P

Edited by Abstract

I think Rarity> Fluttershy > Twilight > Pinkie Pie > Apple Jack > Rainbow dash. At least thats the order I believe. Now I cant say exact ages but I would put rarity somewhere between 22-24, if that gives any kind of base.

Sounds right to me. The way I think of it; Applejack and Rarity (and maybe Pinkie Pie (the bakery) and Rainbow Dash (depending on whether or not Pegasus duties are considered a job)) have full-time jobs, and Twilight seems to be in what could be similar to college or university (could this put Spike's age at around 10 or so?).

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I like to think this. Oldest to youngest. Rarity-Fluttershy-Pinkie Pie and Applejack-Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash. For some reason I wish they were all the same age, though. Or just like a year's difference.

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

• 4 weeks later...

Has the age of any of the mane six ever been mentioned?

Spike also, He's been called a "Baby Dragon" by Twilight, and multiple of them have had birthdays in the show so far, but I don't recall if the ages have ever been mentioned.

(edited)

Regarding exact age, no one is certain. All we know is this:

-Fluttershy is one year older than Pinkie Pie (whose birthday is May 3rd)

-Fluttershy appears to be at least a few years older than Rainbow Dash as a filly. (due to probably being held back at flight school)

-Rainbow Dash is most likely the youngest.

-Fluttershy is most likely the oldest

-The age difference between the youngest and oldest of the Mane 6 cannot be more than 5 or 6 years

-Twilight is still considered a student (equivalent to a college student seeking a very high education)

-All appear to be in their late teens - Early 20's

So by these hints, I estimate this is the order of age in the Mane 6. (Youngest to Oldest)

Rainbow Dash

Applejack

Twilight Sparkle

Rarity

Pinkie Pie

Fluttershy

Edited by Brisineo
  • Brohoof 2

There is already a thread like this. RD is maybe the youngest, and FS is the oldest, like above.

Is there an actual life span ever mentioned or do we assume it's same as humans. It could make a great difference in what age they are considered mature.

Going on the basis that they age at the same rate as humans, I figure that the youngest of them would probably have to be around 17-ish, while fluttershy might be around 20-25. But again, this is all based on speculation. I don't think we'll ever get any confirmed ages.

Fluttershy is older than Pinkie Pie

Rarity acts more mature than Applejack or Rainbow Dash

Applejack and Rainbow Dash are remarkably similar in maturity level

Cheerilee is about the same age as Rarity

Big Macintosh is apparently a relevant age to Cheerilee

Big Macintosh is older than Applejack by some margin

Gummi's birthday is the day before Pinkie Pie's

(edited)

Applejack and Rainbow Dash are remarkably similar in maturity level

RD is loud, pushy, arrogant, often impatient, and very impulsive.

AJ is mature, wise on sibling relationships and many things in general, easy going apart from stubbornness, and is always the first to apologize in problems that she was wrong in.

Sorry Blue, not seeing you're logic, for once xD AJ has her issues for sure, they all do, but Dashie, though I love her so, probably has the lowest maturity level demonstration of all six. probably because she is the youngest, most likely. Around RD, yes, AJ demonstrates the same sort of maturity level quite often, but I'd say it's due to RD being so immature compared to AJ, and provoking her, that AJ gets piffed and descends to her level. But thinking overall, AJ is one of the more down to earth, realistic, responsible ponies.

Thusly, I agree with most these posts, outside AJ. Frankly she's one of the best role-models and most level-headed of the bunch. She cares for her sister as an older sibling, both as a friend and as a partial care-taker sometimes as well, due to the lack of any parents around. I'd say she's definitely not one of the youngest.

My list from oldest to youngest:

Fluttershy

Pinkie Pie

Applejack

Rarity

Twilight Sparkle

Rainbow Dash

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Its odd that you all think fluttershy is the oldest because of that statement x3.

She how i see it~ Pinkiepie can't be the 2nd oldest i mean look at her loveable face! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

So i'd say its (oldest to youngest)

Applejack

Rarity

Twilight

fluttershy

pinke pie

Rainbowdash

(edited)

Cheerilee's about the same age as Rarity, since in the Cutie Mark Chronicles it showed young Cheerilee dancing on the stage in Rarity's outfits.

And looking at all the info about them above, here's my guess of the ages. (oldest-youngest)

Fluttershy- Yeah, from Cutie Mark Chronicles, she's no doubt the oldest. Fluttershy lives on her own, too.

Pinkie Pie- The age difference from oldest to youngest has to be about several years, and Pinkie's only a year. Though she acts like such a little kid, maybe it's partially 'cause she spent her time up to a filly on a rock farm. So she's more innocent to outside-rock farm space and she was introduced to joy at a late age. And her hyperness seems to just be in her personality too (she can break the fourth wall!)

Rarity- She has parents, but she lives by herself and has a job as a dress designer/maker. Rarity wants to get married so that's a mature trait of hers.

AJ- I'm pretty sure her parents are dead, so AJ's supporting herself, AppleBloom, and Granny Smith with the help of her older brother Big Mac. She's probably 19ish.

Twilight Sparkle- She's still learning unicorn magic and she's new to the whole friend-thing. Twilight's most likely one of the youngests. Though I think she's still intelligent enough to live on her own.

RD- Dash can perform a sonic rainboom yet she's not in the Wonderbolts. Her flying moves aren't perfect and her behavior is kinda immature. She's still growing and I think when she becomes a young adult she'll get into the Wonderbolts. I'm curious though, she lives on her own, yet she comes off as a teen. I wonder where her parents are.

Edited by Viridian Daybreak
  • Brohoof 1

I think that Fluttershy is the oldest, Pinke Pie next (because Fluttershy is just a year older) and Rainbow Dash the youngest.

Now, age does not equal maturity. I'm 35 and I routinely go out wearing pony shirts and I squealed, jumped around like a little girl when some one said they wanted to tip me "Tree fiddy" . Maturity doesn't equal responsibility (I pay my bills, work ect.).

I don't know about their age, but I definitely think Rarity and Fluttershy are oldest, Applejack and Twilight being the middle and RD and Pinkie being the youngest. Not by a lot, though - max a year or two.

I would guess the ponies to be older than what Faust says they are. I would range their ages at 22 - 20.

From oldest to youngest:

Fluttershy - I put Fluttershy as the oldest, 22, mainly because she was just so much bigger as a filly in "The Cutiemark Chronicles". Her legs were super long and she was just taller. Also, she claims she is a "year older" than Pinkie Pie.

Rarity - Rarity is the second oldest, maybe a couple of months younger than Fluttershy. She's just very mature & seems very well educated. Which of course, could come from a college education. Also, she's got her Boutique, and, I don't see anypony under 21 (not to say they can't) doing what Rarity does.

Applejack - I would say Applejack is a young 22 OR an old 21. I'm saying this based upon her sibling's ages. I would put Applebloom in the range of 9 -12 and Big Macintosh in the range of 25 - 30. Applebloom is quite a few years younger than AJ & Big Mac is quite a few years older than AJ - old enough to play an authoritative role (she says to her sister that she'll "tell Big Macintosh" on her). So based upon Applebloom & Big Mac, I get 21.

Twilight Sparkle - I put Twi at 21. I'm sort of just basing this off the age I believe Shining Armor to be - 25 -31. That puts them, at max, ten years apart. Which, if you saw in the scenes of the song "Big Brother Best Friend Forever" makes some sense.

Pinkie Pie - Pinkie's 21. Loves to party, pull pranks, etc. She's just young and full of life.

Rainbow Dash - Dash is the baby - only 20, but an older 20. I say this mainly because of her maturity level.

(edited)

Well, according to Lauren Faust, they're all around 13 years old.

I don't think she ever said that. I think she said they were as young or as old as people wanted them to be.

And it's probably for the best. Pokemon learned the hard way that establishing a main character's age in a show isn't always the smartest move.

If you ask me, based on the way things are organized in fantasy worlds (as well as the Rules of Fantasy), I'd put them all between 14 and 16 years old.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

I hear the cider only bubbles when it has alcohol in it. If that's the case, they must all be of the legal drinking age. :huh:

(I'd go with Lauren Faust said.)

Edited by Tam
  • Brohoof 2