Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How old are the ponies?

LyraHeartstrings

This sort of leaves me to wonder why Luna and Celestia are much taller than the other ponies. I understand that they're centuries upon centuries old, but why the huge height difference? Is it because they're alicorns?

This also kind of applies to the Flim Flam brothers from the most recent episode. They were somewhat taller than everyone else. I guess that their heights shouldn't be based off their ages, however it still makes me wonder.

also fleur the trophy wife of fancy pants http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuWb5Vj5KI&list=LLW5XWO2jhksRLifDaKP3Prw&feature=mh_lolz

• 2 weeks later...

Read some of the comments here but I disagree about Twilight still being in college - she already has her own assistant!

I think she's probably someone who started out not too long ago as a research mage (scientist in our terms) directly under Celestia. Or she could be a privileged grad student with her own assistant with her thesis being friendship (less likely).

As for their ages, I have no opinion, but agree that they are all young adults

Old enough to have finished school, live independently, and hold jobs, yes I would have to agree full on they that'd be young adults, at least "18" and up. Definitely not "teens".

So that puts Applejack>Rarity.

I agree that Fluttershy appears oldest when she gets her cutiemark, so I'd put her as oldest. Even if she was in the same class as Rainbow Dash, from what we've seen of her flying abilities, its not out of the realm of possibility that she was held back a couple years.

Fluttershy>Applejack>Rarity

I agree with this. I had some doubts, but this cleared it up pretty well.

Also, I think Twilight is not that far behind, she's mature and looks a bit older than RD and Pinkie, but somehow I think Pinkie is the oldest of the three. Maybe even older, seeing as she's just one year younger than Fluttershy.

Or maybe Fluttershy just looks older in the flashback that she is.

This could make it: Applejack - Rarity - Fluttershy - Twilight - Pinkie - RD

Still not sure, though.

18-22 range. Envoy pointed out that Twilight already has her own assistant, and her academic abilities seem to be on par with a graduate or post-graduate student. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie and consistently the least mature, though that doesn't translate into their being the youngest. However, Given Fluttershy's statement that she is a year older than Pinkie, it's probably safe to assume that Pinkie is close to being the youngest member of the group. Her attitude also reflects that of a high school graduate who is embracing a newfound social life in college. Pinkie is not considered to be very responsible, a premise clearly established in "Baby Cakes." It's questionable whether she even holds a steady job, aside from baking at Sugarcube Corner, since she is frequently seen throwing parties.

Rainbow Dash is akin to a hotshot high school graduate who is learning very quickly that the world is far larger than she might want to admit. She is responsible enough to be on weather patrol, although I get the impression that is not a very prestigious position and one which is given to her by default as a pegasus pony. Dash spends most of her time sleeping and/or practicing stunts. On the whole, she isn't very active. She's probably older than Pinkie, however, since Dash and Fluttershy were in flight training together.

Fluttershy is socially reclusive; but she too possesses a strong sense of responsibility. It's also clear that Fluttershy has acute management abilities; she does not have Twilight's impressive strategic intelligence, though Fluttershy can manage large groups of animals and woodland creatures. That speaks to a developed maturity.

Rarity is probably the oldest, given her management of her own business and social awareness (the way she carries herself around older ponies). She, like Applejack, has a strong sense of responsibility with respect to her craft. Applejack is already a very responsible pony, and she is entrusted with managing Sweet Apple Acres with Big Macintosh. I imagine that is a testament to both her temperment and life experience.

Given that MLP is pretty straightforward, I would judge their age based on their respective maturity levels, occupations, and responsibilities.

From youngest to oldest:

Pinkie Pie > Rainbow Dash > Fluttershy > Applejack > Twilight Sparkle > Rarity

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 1

Read some of the comments here but I disagree about Twilight still being in college - she already has her own assistant!

I think she's probably someone who started out not too long ago as a research mage (scientist in our terms) directly under Celestia. Or she could be a privileged grad student with her own assistant with her thesis being friendship (less likely).

As for their ages, I have no opinion, but agree that they are all young adults

Twilight is Celestia's apprentice, and here in England the apprentice age is between 16-18.

I should know i am one. B)

Twilight is Celestia's apprentice, and here in England the apprentice age is between 16-18.

I should know i am one. B)

Thank you for sharing. Apprentice makes more sense - kinda like the Jedi/Sith master-apprentice relationships. Twilight seems to do a lot of things independently though, almost never going to Celestia for help and she does have her own assistant, so I don't think she's a new apprentice. Plus she is given actual important tasks to do, and I've never seen her receiving any direct "lessons" from Celestia in present day. So I think she's probably older - unless she started early with Celestia because of her smarts.

EDIT: She does seem socially inexperienced, but I think that's because prior to Ponyville, she spent most of her time in books and working for Celestia. When your boss needs to tell you to go and get some friends....

Edited by Envoy

Mind, too, that the rest of the Mane 6 seem to accept Twilight's de facto leadership role without much thought. That further suggests her being considered mature and old enough to instruct her peers.

One thing we know for sure is that fluttershy is a year older than pinkie. lol

CANON

AND BY CELESTIA IF YOU DISAGREE YOU'RE GOING STRAIGHT TO THE MOON

• Brohoof 1

I'd say that the ages range from 17-24. Here's the order I'd say they are, from youngest to oldest:

• Pinkie Pie (17-19)
  • Rainbow Dash (18-19)
  • Twilight Sparkle (19-21)
  • Fluttershy (21-22)
  • Applejack (23)
  • Rarity (24)

Well...I think in other way that they are 12-14

But I want to tell you something in your option

Pinkie Pie (17-19)

and

Fluttershy (21-22)

Whatever happend to Fluttershy saying "I'm a year older than you?" ^^

I've always thought they were between 16 and 22. I'd say Rarity (22) > Applejack (20) > Twilight Sparkle (19) > Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash (18) > Pinkie Pie (17).

Mainly because Pinkie is the only one who seems to live with anyone (Mr. and Mrs. Cake). I don't know about everyone else, but it seemed to me in "The Cute Mark Chronicles", that Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were in the same class, though I see that Fluttershy actually looks older than the others. It might just be an early growth-spurt, though, otherwise she'd be older than the rest of the mane cast, since they all have the same height, even as fillies. I dunno. Just my thoughts. Posted Image

I have actually always envisioned them these ages.

This sort of leaves me to wonder why Luna and Celestia are much taller than the other ponies. I understand that they're centuries upon centuries old, but why the huge height difference? Is it because they're alicorns?

This also kind of applies to the Flim Flam brothers from the most recent episode. They were somewhat taller than everyone else. I guess that their heights shouldn't be based off their ages, however it still makes me wonder.

I just believe alicorns are bigger, is not like they are physically much older, as they simply dont age. But still, if you wonder why certain characters, like teh flimflam brothers or big mac are bigger than the rest, I usually just think, some are horses, some are ponies

I just believe alicorns are bigger, is not like they are physically much older, as they simply dont age. But still, if you wonder why certain characters, like teh flimflam brothers or big mac are bigger than the rest, I usually just think, some are horses, some are ponies

Also it may be that males are normally bigger than females.

I wonder if there is a correlation between a poster's age and what age they perceive the mane six to be. As in, we see ourselves in them, so we imagine them being roughly the age that we are.

It seems like the maturity of the ponies fluctuates at times. Their problems are often those encountered at a younger age (say, mid-teens going to a sleepover) but their roles in the larger roles seem to reflect college-age. AppleJack is clearly 21, though. :P (My age.)

• Brohoof 1

I would agree on 20-25. With Pinkie Pie being the youngest in my eyes and Rarity being the oldest.

Although, I am basing a lot of that on their maturity levels but, as we all know, older doesn't mean more mature!

Maybe the show will reveal some more in later seasons. But these are my predictions so far.

• 2 weeks later...

People are seemingly forgetting that Fluttershy is older than Pinkie Pie.

"Q: How old are the ponies?

The ponies' ages were left intentionally undefined. I like to think of them as having maturity levels anywhere between 12 and 18, (but remember that maturity is different than age. You can be a 10-year-old with the maturity of a 15-year-old, and you can be a 35-year-old with the maturity of a 15-year-old.) For story telling purposes, they needed to be able to live independent of parents, but innocent enough for the type of lessons they learn at the end of the episodes. Since horses are full grown around 5-ish, I guess I sort of justified it in my head that they could be childlike young adults. I know this answer is frustrating for some people, but it happens often in cartoons. How old is Bugs Bunny? Mickey Mouse? Sponge Bob? I don't know either."