Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Losing weight

Member Berry

I seriously need to lose weight. I've never had a proper new years resolution but this is mine for 2017. I used to be thin (if anything I was too thin when I was a child and teenager) but I've gained a lot of weight since I hit my 20's. 

Any advice? Other than just eating less? I was thinking of doing the Atkins but I love carbs too much lol.

Btw, I'm not considered obese just yet, just overweight. I will become obese soon if I don't sort it out, though >.>

Edited by Member Berry
  • Brohoof 1

As Cloggedone said, sodas helped me lose about 30 pounds. I still drink them occasionally, but not as a daily occurance.

I also eat a lot more straight up meat & veggie or two. I try to disregard potatoes when I can (but also occasionally). Since Halloween I gained about 5 pounds back due to candy and baked goods, drinking and holiday merry making, but I know it'll go back down after Dec 25th :P

So yeah for me, it's cutting potatoes down, sodas, and large pasta meals. Boring ole' meat & veggies = weight loss for me. If there's bread and pasta here and there, no big whoop. The loss may be slow, but it's consistent.

Plus go out for walks.

• Brohoof 1

Eat foods that are less dense in calories, drink a lot of water, and water only (you'll be satisfied with less calories if you eat them rather than drinking them).

Whenever you start craving fattening foods, hurry and drink a lot of water so it fills you up. This will more or less take the temptation away.

Do some training? Maybe running, maybe go to a gym, or even just random stuff around your house. Walk around, go up and down the stairs, jumping...as long as you're not sitting still too much it's great.

I wish you the best, stay positive :)

• Brohoof 2

Snacks are what you have to watch out for.  Only eat at meals if possible or eat a banana or something if you need to eat.  Drinking water only is probably a good idea. It might not be fun at first but I just about only drink water right now and I love it so it just takes a bit to get used to.  Exercise like running can help but compared to how much damage unhealthy food does it does not make a major difference.

• Brohoof 2

I drink a lot of diet soda but will sometimes buy regular without thinking. I do snack a lot. I don't eat an awful lot during the day and then will eat loads at night >.> I doubt that helps either.

I should start exercising again. I will go through phases where I will exercise loads and then won't do anything at all :/ 

I found a dress in my wardrobe from when I was like 15 and I can't get it over my head properly >.> I miss being a size 6-8 (UK)

Balance everything and don't let exercise feel like a chore.  I think the best way to get into exercise after not being in it for a long time(or ever) is to do something that you enjoy doing or something that you've always wanted to try.  Like maybe try doing some sort of martial art, bellydancing, yoga or just walking around more.  Elect to use the stairs instead of an escalator at the mall or in your apartment.  Just remember, losing weight is a hell of a lot harder than gaining it so be patient with yourself.  I don't really suggest just jumping into something challenging, take baby steps, you won't get as sick of it compared to just jumping in and getting fed up with said exercise because you might not be as good at it as you thought you might.  Balance out cardio and strength training, don't just go to the gym to run on the treadmill, take some time and work on your muscles!  There are some good youtube videos on working out at home so if you don't want to go to the gym you can try one of those channels. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a little treat now and again, it's ok to enjoy certain foods sometimes but so long as you're not having those all the time it should be fine, you can't out exercise a bad diet.  So maybe save those times you go out to eat at a fast food place to a minimum.  Maybe try replacing certain foods with healthier alternatives like maybe if you want to have some chocolate, eat fruit instead(not all the time but try getting into the practice).  Here's a craving chart:

fd5c5cdb0a24a2593d7ba177f0000b56.jpg

Just remember to go easy on yourself and try not to push yourself too much in the beginning.

• Brohoof 1

@@Member Berry, I lost 60 pounds on calorie counting. Myfitnesspal.com and the phone app helps a lot. I did do some walking when the Pokémon GO was a thing.

Like everyone else is saying, I'm avoiding soda but on occasion I get a glass or two. I'm also avoiding ketchup, mayonnaise and excessive snacking when I'm not supposed to eat (finding the right mustard will have zero calories, like French's). Not to mention that I only eat when I'm supposed to, eating when I'm supposed to will prevent my body from retaining fat. When I do feel like I need to snack, I follow the serving size on the label. Perhaps recently as @@Thuja, I'd probably try the chart he provided.

• Brohoof 1

I seriously need to lose weight. I've never had a proper new years resolution but this is mine for 2017. I used to be thin (if anything I was too thin when I was a child and teenager) but I've gained a lot of weight since I hit my 20's. 

Any advice? Other than just eating less? I was thinking of doing the Atkins but I love carbs too much lol.

Btw, I'm not considered obese just yet, just overweight. I will become obese soon if I don't sort it out, though >.>

As someone, who has lost lots of weight just recently I suppose I can say some words about it.

1. Reduce amount of sweets. Greatly. You don't have to entirely throw them away (I never did) but reduce them to like one small candy per day or even per 2 days. You can also replace it with fruits (Apple! <3333)

2. Don't starve Yourself. Quick loss of lots of weight might sound tempting, but it is a futile effort. If You try this then the second You start eating normally Your weight will increase just as fast as it went down. Slow, controlled loss of weight is a much wiser choice. Eat about 5 meals per day. Preferably small or medium meals. Avoid plate so full food barely fits on it to make it more... graphic :v 

3. You might have days (like upcoming christmas) when You'll start eating more. Don't panic over it. One time big eating isn't bad yet, Your body can deal with that. Problem begins when eating lots of food becomes a habit again. But overall, my point - don't stress Yourself. 

4. Don't drink sodas (including diet sodas). Stick to water or juices (and by juices I mean real ones, not the chemical nonsense I sometimes encounter in stores :v ).

5. A bit of physical activity will also be a significant help. Especially now in winter, when we generally store more fat than during summer. 

6. Don't trust online diets. They work for some, but won't work for everyone. And actually can do some damage instead of helping. If You want prepared diet then meet dietetic. Good diet is prepared individually based on Your body, metabolism etc. 

This was literally all I did. And in a year I've lost around 1/4 of my former weight (20 kg). Those are of course only general rules, if it's not enough You can always ask dietetic for help. 

• Brohoof 1

I wanted to lose weight back at the start of 2015, and I lost 30lbs. I didn't change what I ate, I just limited my calorie intake. The only change I made was that I started drinking water and diet sodas instead of regular soda. 

Losing weight isn't as complicated as these so called diet guru's make it out to be. 

• Brohoof 1

Balance everything and don't let exercise feel like a chore.  I think the best way to get into exercise after not being in it for a long time(or ever) is to do something that you enjoy doing or something that you've always wanted to try.  Like maybe try doing some sort of martial art, bellydancing, yoga or just walking around more.  Elect to use the stairs instead of an escalator at the mall or in your apartment.  Just remember, losing weight is a hell of a lot harder than gaining it so be patient with yourself.  I don't really suggest just jumping into something challenging, take baby steps, you won't get as sick of it compared to just jumping in and getting fed up with said exercise because you might not be as good at it as you thought you might.  Balance out cardio and strength training, don't just go to the gym to run on the treadmill, take some time and work on your muscles!  There are some good youtube videos on working out at home so if you don't want to go to the gym you can try one of those channels. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying a little treat now and again, it's ok to enjoy certain foods sometimes but so long as you're not having those all the time it should be fine, you can't out exercise a bad diet.  So maybe save those times you go out to eat at a fast food place to a minimum.  Maybe try replacing certain foods with healthier alternatives like maybe if you want to have some chocolate, eat fruit instead(not all the time but try getting into the practice).  Here's a craving chart:

sig-4773097.fd5c5cdb0a24a2593d7ba177f000

Just remember to go easy on yourself and try not to push yourself too much in the beginning.

I often want chocolate and salty foods so I should try and eat more seeds :) I really like sunflower seeds. 

My boyfriend told me he will lose weight with me too so hopefully him doing it too will help :)

I often want chocolate and salty foods so I should try and eat more seeds :) I really like sunflower seeds. 

My boyfriend told me he will lose weight with me too so hopefully him doing it too will help :)

Having someone exercise with you is a bonus and really does help.  I've noticed that the cravings chart doesn't always help(with me anyways, I love chocolate too much lol) but I'm hoping it'll help with you, just remember that you can treat yourself sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Regular exercise and a healthy diet is the way to go to lose weight.

I've begun work on losing a little bit on weight myself, seeing as I'm almost 200 pounds heavy.

Everybody's talking about losing weight, but I'm over here trying to gain weight. Unfortunately, however, I'm too young to go to the gym; so it's difficult to gain any weight without making myself fat.

Drinking 3-6 ounces of water before and after every meal; to fill you up and also to help the body metabolize food more efficiently is a good start to any diet. Drinking diet sodas throughout the day is also useful because you can give yourself the feeling of indulging without adding calories. Pickles have almost no calories at all and make a nice snack to fill you up. Exercise is the most important thing; it reprograms the body to process calories differently and builds muscle instead of fat. It doesn’t take a ton of exercise, just enough to change the routine and make your body more active. Another important thing is to set small goals. It’s easier to tell yourself, “I’m going to lose 2-3 pounds this week” and taking it in small increments than deciding, “I’m going to lose twenty pounds all at once.” Keep yourself motivated with small rewards when you do well, like going to a movie you want to see or buying a toy or something. That always worked for me.   

• Brohoof 1

Drink lots of water, eat only what's and when it's only necessary and EXERCISE.

Edited by TBD

• 7 months later...

Once I lost 27 pounds in one week because all I consumed was water same went for a few weeks after that. Doctors were worried. My nose started to bleed at a certain point and almost passed out

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 1