Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think any of the Mane Six will ever be in a romantic relationship?

AlicornSpell

I hope they do romance involving some of the Mane Six someday in the show.

The ships I want to happen in the show really bad are "Twilight Sparkle X Timber Spruce" and "Pinkie Pie X Cheese Sandwich" and "Rainbow Dash X Soarin".

They need to focus on romance more in the show, since romantic love is also a type of friendship love, and the show is suppose to focus on everything about friendship.

Edited by AlicornSpell

Chances are, if they ever do end up in a relationship, it probably won't be until the series finale, in sort of an epilogue to show where the characters are in the future, where we'll see some of them have families

I mean, some fan ships actually are popular among the staff too. I remember that in A Canterlot Wedding, the pic of Dash and Soarin dancing together was snuck in by some of the animators because they liked the pair

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 8

If they were to attempt something like this, they would have to exercise EXTREME caution as to not upset the over-bearing brony community. We all know how possessive bronies can get with their precious pony waifus >.>

That being said, I would be down for some romantic love interests being explored within the series (as long as they don't try to force every main character into a relationship as a "season-wide" thematic element lol) 

Personal favorite pairings of mine are:

Sweetie Belle x Spike (ala the Price of Rejection)

Fluttershy x Big Macintosh

Twilight x Flash Sentry (I never understood why people had such a huge problem with this pairing tbh)

• Brohoof 3

Chances are, if they ever do end up in a relationship, it probably won't be until the series finale, in sort of an epilogue to show where the characters are in the future, where we'll see some of them have families

I mean, some fan ships actually are popular among the staff too. I remember that in A Canterlot Wedding, the pic of Dash and Soarin dancing together was snuck in by some of the animators because they liked the pair

Some of the staff actually like Rainbow Dash X Soarin? If that's true, then that gives me hope that the ship will happen someday in the show.

• Brohoof 1

I do think that including romantic relationships in the show would help take it to the next level. it would be interesting to see someone in the mane six get in a relationship, especially seeing how that would change the dynamic. However, that is a rather risky move if it is not received well by the public, as I imagine there would be some fear that these strong female characters would become "weakened" (that is a matter for the writers to handle). More likely, I bet we will see romantic relationships outside the mane six where the mane six has to help out some sort of relationship problem (lookin at you, Big Mac). This would be less risky.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't put too much money on the shipping becoming canon for the pony show anytime soon, just because they're aiming the toys at the 4-7 age, and that's generally a little too low for pushing romance heavily.

i wouldn't be surprised if they started canon shipping the six in EQG (in addition to Timber x Twilight) since those twos are more for the barbie subgroup and about 5-9.

heh, honestly that scene of the two dancing probably had a big thing to do with the momentum the ship gained XD

• Brohoof 1

I hope they do romance involving some of the Mane Six someday in the show.

The ships I want to happen in the show really bad are "Twilight Sparkle X Timber Spruce" and "Pinkie Pie X Cheese Sandwich" and "Rainbow Dash X Soarin".

They need to focus on romance more in the show, since romantic love is also a type of friendship love, and the show is suppose to focus on everything about friendship.

If you want some waifu thief rants, sure, I wouldn't mind more of those :-P  

Twilight x Flash Sentry (I never understood why people had such a huge problem with this pairing tbh)

To me, I don't particularly like Flash. I feel like he's a one-dimensional character, created for the sole purpose of being a romantic interest in EQG.

Edit: Actually, I've thought about this a bit more, and have a more fleshed out answer. I personally dislike Flash. Even though he has had much more screentime than certain side characters, I think there's a big difference between screen time and character development. If he had a bit more of a personality, I could come to like him.

The reason why many fans dislike him, but like other BG characters with no speaking parts, is because they like to flesh out the backstories themselves. If I read a good fan-made back story for Flash Sentry, I might be willing to change my mind. :)

Edited by PumpkinCharm
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

To me, I don't particularly like Flash. I feel like he's a one-dimensional character, created for the sole purpose of being a romantic interest in EQG.

Edit: Actually, I've thought about this a bit more, and have a more fleshed out answer. I personally dislike Flash. Even though he has had much more screentime than certain side characters, I think there's a big difference between screen time and character development. If he had a bit more of a personality, I could come to like him.

The reason why many fans dislike him, but like other BG characters with no speaking parts, is because they like to flesh out the backstories themselves. If I read a good fan-made back story for Flash Sentry, I might be willing to change my mind. :)

I agree. Flash Sentry was not that interesting of a character, because he had no personality. Flash Sentry was pretty much a useless character for the series.

Me: Haven't you read the fics? there all in a relationship, with Everypony.

You: Everypony?

Me: Every...Pony.

The thing is, I want some of the ships to be actually canon in the show. No matter how good a fan fiction story is involving any members of the Mane Six being in a romantic relationship, it's always just a what if story that doesn't actually happen in the show.

Edited by AlicornSpell

Well, looking back at Season 6, I don't think anyone in this fandom wants SoarinDash canonized anymore. When the stallion in question is a complete jerk to her for crashing into a trash can, that doesn't make for good shipping material.

VInylDash is more deserving of canonization anyway.

post-30713-0-86846800-1486461840.png

• Brohoof 1

Well, looking back at Season 6, I don't think anyone in this fandom wants SoarinDash canonized anymore. When the stallion in question is a complete jerk to her for crashing into a trash can, that doesn't make for good shipping material.

attachicon.gifthumb.png

What episode from Season 6 was Soarin a complete jerk to Rainbow Dash? To be honest I haven't watched all the episodes of Season 6 yet, because I haven't had much time to myself lately.

sig-4807816.attachicon.gifthumb.png

Yes to more VinylDash, no to killing SoarinDash

What episode from Season 6 was Soarin a complete jerk to Rainbow Dash? 

Newbie Dash, though to be fair, that episode completely goes out of its way to make sure you want the entire Wonderbolts team to die a horrible death. But even then, SoarinDash is still going strong. If Newbie Dash can't kill that pair, I doubt anything will(of course, having the pair star in an actually good comic helps too)

• Brohoof 1

A lot of people would like that but other people would hate it and not to mention that the show would take a whole different turn and it would be revolving around all the couples... I support those shippings like crazy but I highly doubt they would maintain a relationship in the show. Cadence&Shining Armor is the only relationship that I think will stay canon. 

I guess Flashlight and Timberlight has shown enough that it is maybe not the best idea to bring a romantic relationship with a mane 6 character. A lot of people in this fandom wouldn't like it because of two reasons. The one reason is, that a few people in the fandom see a character as their special some pony and hate it to see them with another. And the other reason is, that there are big fan groups of different shippings and when you bring one shipping, a lot of people wouldn't like it that it is not their favorite shipping but another one. There are also bronies who hate some shippings and wouldn't like it when this shipping becomes canon. 

I am also happy that the theme romantic relationship is not a big theme in MLP. We already had a few episode with this theme and that's enough in my opinion. I am not so a fan of relationships in shows. But this is my personal opinion.  

• Brohoof 1

Yes to more VinylDash, no to killing SoarinDash

Newbie Dash, though to be fair, that episode completely goes out of its way to make sure you want the entire Wonderbolts team to die a horrible death. But even then, SoarinDash is still going strong. If Newbie Dash can't kill that pair, I doubt anything will(of course, having the pair star in an actually good comic helps too)

There is actually a comic that supports SoarinDash? If there is, can you please tell me the name of the comic?

• Brohoof 1

There is actually a comic that supports SoarinDash? If there is, can you please tell me the name of the comic?

Not necessarily "supports" but does feature them heavily interacting

1347799__safe_artist-colon-tonyfleecs_ra

of course, stuff like this and this do give it some decent fuel

Fun fact: This comic explains that the bags under Soarin's eyes isn't from age, but rather because he overworks himself often

• Brohoof 3

I kind of doubt the writers will stick their necks out this far for a show that has seemingly gone out of its way to avoid focusing on romantic relationships, but I wouldn't mind it if they did.

Especially if it was SoarinDash.  :wub:

I will have to read that comic sometime. I hope that they actually do something in the show that makes it officially clear that Rainbow Dash has romantic feelings for Soarin. To me, it seems like Rainbow Dash has romantic feelings for Soarin, since she gets shy around him and she saved his pie from falling on the ground and she danced with him.

Hasbro has to be extremely careful with things like that due to it could upset some parents and then here comes all the complaints and eventually it would be removed look at Derpy parents complained about her and Hasbro was forced to change her name so parents tend to get a little over protective of the smallest of things such as Derpy's name I know the community still calls her Derpy, but that name can never be used in the show due to complaints so Hasbro has to tread with caution.

(edited)

Hasbro has to be extremely careful with things like that due to it could upset some parents and then here comes all the complaints and eventually it would be removed look at Derpy parents complained about her and Hasbro was forced to change her name so parents tend to get a little over protective of the smallest of things such as Derpy's name I know the community still calls her Derpy, but that name can never be used in the show due to complaints so Hasbro has to tread with caution.

But there's nothing offensive and wrong about romance. Romance is always in Disney movies and it's also focused a lot in a lot of Disney movies; so why can't they make it a big thing in "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" without the parents complaining about it? They have done romance before in the show, it's just that it didn't have any of the main characters being in a romantic relationship and the romance in the show didn't get that much focus.

Edited by AlicornSpell

But there's nothing offensive and wrong about romance. Romance is always in Disney movies and it's also focused a lot in a lot of Disney movies; so why can't they make it a big thing in "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" without the parents complaining about it? They have done romance before in the show, it's just that it didn't have any of the main characters being in a romantic relationship and the romance in the show didn't get that much focus.

You'd be surprised what parents get angry about like in Steven Universe there was some scenes that were edited out because parents did not like what was going on and in zelda ocarina of time parents complained that ganondorf was coughing up red blood so they changed it to green blood because good ol parents complained so they will find the smallest of things to complain about, but I am not going to make an argument about pony romance I mean in the end its all up to Hasbro.