Are Bronies immature/not aware of the real world?

joshuachasseur

I know that many of us enjoy the show but I was wondering, does this love for the show make us unaware of the real world around us? I mean, with all the crap happening around and other issues, does liking the show make us not ready or equipped to deal with all that? Are we children who refuse to grow up?

(edited)

No. Sure there might be some, but no. Bronies are not any more "not aware of the real world" than any fan of anything else. if you want examples, I for one am aware of the real world even more than I wanted to. 

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 3

Im aware of the real world, thats why i try to escape in other Worlds and forget about it, at least for the moment being.

I still know, that a lot of bad stuff is happening though, i just dont want to think about it all the time, since i cant do anything.

• Brohoof 2

That is a blanket statement that, from what I've seen, is very untrue. I, myself, am probably more aware than I really want to be of the real world... That awareness is probably not good for me, as it has caused me to become angrier.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I am sure some Bronies are immature and use MLP as a means to completely ignore whats going on in the world however those folks would be a minority. Most Bronies are down to earth adults with a good grasp on reality. MLP simply serves as the means of escape from all the bullshit for a brief 22 minutes. You can only hear so much about ISIS beheadings before you want to just sit down and listen to something positive. 

Edited by DayShadow
  • Brohoof 3

• This topic was featured and unfeatured
56 minutes ago, joshuachasseur said:

I know that many of us enjoy the show but I was wondering, does this love for the show make us unaware of the real world around us? I mean, with all the crap happening around and other issues, does liking the show make us not ready or equipped to deal with all that? Are we children who refuse to grow up?

Looks like I've lost the ability to edit thread titles, but I might suggest something that suggests you aren't the one who is spreading the issue you have posed as you're clearly asking if what others have said is true.

As for my thoughts on the matter, that's definitely not remotely true.  If there is a correlation between being a fan of FiM and not being equipped to deal with life's issues I can guarantee it is a confounding variable.  As it occurs to me that's a social science term not everyone would know, a confounding variable is when someone thinks there is a link between something and an effect, when in reality the effect is actually caused by something else, such as the study that linked, to almost comedic results, ice cream consumption and an increase in criminal activity.  Further analysis revealed that more crimes occur in warmer months which is also when more people happen to enjoy ice cream, but ice cream isn't the cause of it.  Confounding variables usually aren't so absurd, but that example is used often as it's effective in making people understand what a confounding variable is.

In a case like this, there may in fact be a perceived correlation between being a Brony and not being mature enough to handle the ins and outs of life in our world, but it may just be that some such people happen to be Bronies, if such a correlation exists at all and is not merely something completely ungrounded spewed by some anti-Bronies.  That last bit about being "children who refuse to grow up" makes it sound like an anti-Brony mantra.  FiM is also enjoyed by plenty of people who are educated and/or streetsmart enough to not be labeled as incompetent and/or lacking maturity.  There are obviously people who associate things like MLP with "man and woman children", and maybe we do fit that bill to an extent, but not to the point where we can't be functioning adults.  FiM is just one series out of many, and its fans come from all walks of life so at most what you have come across are people who are greatly over-generalizing.

• Brohoof 2

The inability to deal with the real world does not correlate with being a brony. 

As much as I dislike being labeled, being a fan of a show, any show, should not by any means demonstrate the content of your character. 

I'd love to find out where you came to this conclusion though. This sounds like b:pt :P 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've gone through several bouts of extreme depression and anxiety thanks to the real world. As others have said on here, MLP is simply one of many escapes for me. Helps me lighten up. In fact, I think that's one of my main reasons for liking the show; it's something I can always count on to make me laugh even as I'm going through the hardest times.

Edited by Chrylestia600

3 hours ago, joshuachasseur said:

Sometimes I "trip" and see some ponies. No drugs required, this time.

I become engrossed in things because of the real world. I'm out there everyday because I have to, and then when I don't have to be, I'm off in other places. And when we graduate from high school or college, we're not exactly "equipped" for the real world. I have learned more things about the real world in the last 8 years that I have in 13 years in school. And as far as being "children who refuse to grow up", I have pretty much had the same mindset since I was 14, I've only gotten older.

Definitely not true, I believe most of us have been done enough IRL, and searching for a safe haven here in MLP(fandom). I gotta say it's really exhausting when we(or, at least me) fully armed to against tons of potential threats, annoying "relationships" and responsibilities in our real life, the Las Pegasus episode may have shown a bit of it. anyway, over here, in MLP, at least you don't have to worry too much about the idiot evil human stuffs

Some may call it 'immature' but I call it wise. Avoiding the ugliness of reality is a sensible thing to do for those who desire peace of mind. I haven't watched the news or immersed myself in worldly things for years and my life has improved dramatically as a result. By nature, people avoid things that are unpleasant. It doesn't mean they'll be rendered unequipped to handle life; it just means they'll have a happier disposition until life rears its ugly head and requires attention. Worldly things have never made me stronger of better equipped, quite the opposite in fact. MLP, like so many other forms of entertainment, are meant to be escapism. And escape is necessary to keep one's sanity in this day and age. The world has it's turn every day to be tiring and unpleasant; having the ponies as an antidote can only be a good thing. :P

No. Not anymore than any other sample group. While I (as a 40 year old man) may be called immature for enjoying this show and being a part of the fandom, I would respectfully disagree. I have experienced much of the real world, and while I hold to optimistic beliefs, I have no issues tackling the real world that some think cartoon lovers are ignorant of or hide from.

Graduated college - check

Started a career - check 

Got married - check 

Bought a house - check

Started a family - check

Experienced love, life, death, and setbacks - check

Still here and still facing anything the real world throws out me - check

The best part is that by and large many of the people on this forum reading this will experience most of not all of these and also make the real world take notice. I am not an outlier, I am closer to the future that many here can look forward to. 

How's that for optimism from a Pony Boy who endevoured to make 'The Real World' his bitch!

#micdrop

• Brohoof 5

10 minutes ago, Jeric said:

No. Not anymore than any other sample group. While I (as a 40 year old man) may be called immature for enjoying this show and being a part of the fandom, I would respectfully disagree. I have experienced much of the real world, and while I hold to optimistic beliefs, I have no issues tackling the real world that some think cartoon lovers are ignorant of or hide from.

Graduated college - check

Started a career - check 

Got married - check 

Bought a house - check

Started a family - check

Experienced love, life, death, and setbacks - check

Still here and still facing anything the real world throws out me - check

The best part is that by and large many of the people on this forum reading this will experience most of not all of these and also make the real world take notice. I am not an outlier, I am closer to the future that many here can look forward to. 

How's that for optimism from a Pony Boy who endevoured to make 'The Real World' his bitch!

#micdrop

Oh crap there's a checklist? X.x 

• Brohoof 2

MLP is just escapism to me, but that doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the real world. I just think it's fun to watch a simpler world in which world-ending scenarios have simple solutions like talking to the monster of the week about his feelings. It's sweet and innocent and sometimes that's fun too.