Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cringeworthy fanfiction?

Tilgoreth

So recently I have been reading some mlp fanfiction. And by that I mean FlutterDash fanfiction. Just FlutterDash. Only FLutterDash. Umm yeah that's all I have an interest in reading. Anyways I realized why I put off reading it for so long. Fanfiction can be cringy as hell. And no I’m not insulting any writers out there. It’s just that certain annoying as hell tropes pop up more in fan fiction than in normal stories.

So have you read any cringeworthy fanfiction? Or fanfiction that had cringeworthy moments? So one fanfiction for me is a WhiteRose fanfiction, basically Weiss stripped to her underwear, and Ruby was like oh too sexy I faint now. I don’t know , I know that not everyone doesn’t want to focus on sex, but at the very least handle it maturely. Don’t just pass it off as some f**king joke.

And in basically every FlutterDash fanfiction I’ve read, Rainbow Dash kisses Fluttershy on the mouth. And they're both like “oh that's just because we're close friends not because I love her or anything.” F**k that. If you make out with your best friend on a regular basis, and there isn’t a cultural reason for that, one you are either very curious sexually, or two you love the other person as more than just a friend.

The only other place I see that stupid f**king trope is in anime. It’s so absurd that I think “so if you two literally started having sex right now would you be like ‘oh that's totally normal to have sex with your best friend!’”. And since I’m reading FlutterDash fanfiction the cringey overreaction from their friends. Oh no Fluttershy is Rainbow Dash abusing you?! Granted the people writing these fanfictions obviously ship FlutterDash but I still find it annoying. If only because that is an actual argument people have against FlutterDash.

Saying Rainbow Dash would abuse Fluttershy is a complete misrepresentation of their relationship. Also I guess the other thing for me would be Fluttershy getting picked on in some way and Rainbow Dash not kicking their ass.

Any and every crossover with Sonic 

Of course you can say this with almost any crossover, but ones with Sonic are a special kind of awful.

There was also an awful accusation fic for Newbie Dash that involved RD getting shipped with a pony version of Starscream

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Sometimes, I get the feeling that some folks over at Fimfiction expect me to do a Sonic crossover fic due to my username. Maybe I should. See how many more levels of shame I can reach.

Edited by GeekySonic
  • Brohoof 3

Those human in Equestria fics. Most of them star the most lazy self-insert character that the author just expects you to like because reasons, as they lazily pair themselves with their waifu, who is typically written out of character just to fit their "dream date scenario" as the fic is mostly a wish fufillnent story without putting any effort into the writing.

Note: I'm sure not all are like this just the ones I've looked at.

• Brohoof 5

6 hours ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

You know? I've heard that Sonic fandom is quite nuts, even more than ours :D . Even in the OC department 

So I'm not surprised for your comment 

You know, I've remembered one series of fics that nowadays, I cringe. It's one of a human boy adopted by Fluttershy, which was well and dandy, but then I've realized later how cringeworthy it was. Not the concept mind you, it's that the boy is a Mary Sue. He's always kind, he doesn't get angry, he's in everyone's minds 24/7. It's one dimensional, and it doesn't help the tragic past 

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Those human in Equestria fics. Most of them star the most lazy self-insert character that the author just expects you to like because reasons, as they lazily pair themselves with their waifu, who is typically written out of character just to fit their "dream date scenario" as the fic is mostly a wish fufillnent story without putting any effort into the writing.

Note: I'm sure not all are like this just the ones I've looked at.

I'd say Pony on Earth is much worse as 9 times out of 10 the main character will sexually molest whatever pony is on earth(with the ponies not realizing it)

• Brohoof 2

35 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

I'd say Pony on Earth is much worse as 9 times out of 10 the main character will sexually molest whatever pony is on earth(with the ponies not realizing it)

...I'm glad I've never run into those.

Another thing I've noticed about Human in equestria stories is a lot of them don't really stand out as their descriptions read the same way. "Normal brony gets turned into a pony and gets sent to Equestria where his life changed forever."

• Brohoof 2

Any fanfiction that is so bad that the writer has to make a blog post warning their Fimfiction watchers that their next story is cancer and puts a very long author's note that goes into full detail on how cringy it is

• Brohoof 2

I can't think of anything specific, unfortunately. At least, I can't post any links to bad fan fiction that I can think of at the moment because I proofread for the person and I'll hurt their feelings. I've seen a number of summaries that have, to put it bluntly, terrified me without even having to read the story, but I've never really seen anything cringeworthy. Merely going onto the MLP section of FanFiction.net and looking up OC's  often yields a quite a few cringeworthy Alicorn Mary Sues and self-inserts, though. I can tell you that much.

(edited)

The most cringeworthy fanfic I came across was the works done by Crystals1986. Here is just an idea of what this person can do:

"I am in the Hospital with illness and Twilight Sparkle as an Anthro pony doctor is giving me the Crystal treatment in order to treat my sicknes, with Crystals into my bloodstream through the IV as well as the large blue floating Crystal that I have to touch to heal me and some moniters on my chest and the pulse oximiter, Well I am crying because I'm scared of my hadsn growing longer from the Crystal treatment even though I want to be cured. And Twilight Sparkle is watching me cry."

"I am very sick and in the Hospital with Twilight Sparkle from MLP:FIM as the doctor. I am receiving Crystal treatment for my illness which is causing my hands and fingers to grow large with long bony fingers and prominant joints. The Crystal treatment is through the Hickmann Catheter in my Chest to deliver Crystals to me with the orange and purple Crystal solutions, As well as the IV cannula in my Hand but it is not being used at the time. There is also EKG electrodes on my chest and the Pulse Oximeter which show my heart rate and oxygen on the Moniter and the Oxygen mask to deliver Crystal air to my lungs as well as the colection bag on the bed. Because I am too sick to get out of bed, Twilight Sparkle is giving me a Sponge bath to keep me clean and avoid Infections while i am in the Hospital. She is using a Sponge to put soap and water onto my back and cheast. And I am crying because it is uncomfortble with the IV tubes and stuff and its embarassing, As well I am afraid of getting permanent Large Hands from the treatment side effects."

He wrote a number of human-in-Equstria stories on Deviantart. They were all the same. He ended up in Equstria, got sick somehow, and had to be treated by anthro Dr. Twilight Sparkle. He always got the "crystal treatment". He always cries and each fanfic. 

However, his account has been deleted,so don't bother looking for his work, he deleted it all too. I found this in a forum website. 

Edited by FemaleIntrovert1995
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

The most cringeworthy fanfic I came across was the works done by some guy. Here is just an idea of what this person can do:

"I am in the Hospital with illness and Twilight Sparkle as an Anthro pony doctor is giving me the Crystal treatment in order to treat my sicknes, with Crystals into my bloodstream through the IV as well as the large blue floating Crystal that I have to touch to heal me and some moniters on my chest and the pulse oximiter, Well I am crying because I'm scared of my hadsn growing longer from the Crystal treatment even though I want to be cured. And Twilight Sparkle is watching me cry."

"I am very sick and in the Hospital with Twilight Sparkle from MLP:FIM as the doctor. I am receiving Crystal treatment for my illness which is causing my hands and fingers to grow large with long bony fingers and prominant joints. The Crystal treatment is through the Hickmann Catheter in my Chest to deliver Crystals to me with the orange and purple Crystal solutions, As well as the IV cannula in my Hand but it is not being used at the time. There is also EKG electrodes on my chest and the Pulse Oximeter which show my heart rate and oxygen on the Moniter and the Oxygen mask to deliver Crystal air to my lungs as well as the colection bag on the bed. Because I am too sick to get out of bed, Twilight Sparkle is giving me a Sponge bath to keep me clean and avoid Infections while i am in the Hospital. She is using a Sponge to put soap and water onto my back and cheast. And I am crying because it is uncomfortble with the IV tubes and stuff and its embarassing, As well I am afraid of getting permanent Large Hands from the treatment side effects."

He wrote a number of human-in-Equstria stories on Deviantart. They were all the same. He ended up in Equstria, got sick somehow, and had to be treated by anthro Dr. Twilight Sparkle. He always got the "crystal treatment". He always cries and each fanfic. 

However, his account has been deleted,so don't bother looking for his work, he deleted it all too. I found this in a forum website. 

You know, it was cool that you could share those stories with their sucky glory. They do suck, but I don't think it's a good idea to include the author's name as many will just use it as an excuse for cyberbullying :huh: . Just look at the Sonicchu fiasco is a good reason

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

The most cringeworthy fanfic I came across was the works done by Crystals1986. Here is just an idea of what this person can do:

I want Twilight Sparkle too give me a sponge bath.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

You know, it was cool that you could share those stories with their sucky glory. They do suck, but I don't think it's a good idea to include the author's name as many will just use it as an excuse for cyberbullying :huh: . Just look at the Sonicchu fiasco is a good reason

I have no intention of cyber bullying this person, even though he deactivated all of his accounts a couple of months ago. I just learned that recently. I wasn't even involved in his "hate". I offered to edit his work and he turned me down. However, thank you for the tip. 

9 minutes ago, FemaleIntrovert1995 said:

I have no intention of cyber bullying this person, even though he deactivated all of his accounts a couple of months ago. I just learned that recently. I wasn't even involved in his "hate". I offered to edit his work and he turned me down. However, thank you for the tip. 

Nah, it's not you, it's that someone else could use your comment and track the owner and spark a chain of cyberbullying. You have to be careful, even amidst our fandom are ugly elements that cyberbully for smaller things 

• 1 year later...

Any fanfiction where the authors personal fantasies get involved with the story, for example I was reading a story where this human called Max would get injured constantly and be put into countless near death experiences and would have his self insert get critically injured, but barely escape death to have the rest of the cast panic, cry and worry over him, now this wouldn't normally be bad if it happened once or twice, hiwever when this happens more then three times, it gets kinda cringy and predictable, sometimes it's enough to stop me from finishing a fic.

I've not read much fanfiction at all. What turns me off is not even the cringe stories, like you mentioned, it's the cringe writing. Writing a narrative well is hard! The dialogue and sketch of the plot are usually the best parts actually. But the style of the writing is usually amateurish.

I never touch on fan fiction whatsoever unless that person wrote it in a way that is professional like an actual novel. But that would be unlikely. 

I remember a fan fic which one of my favorite authors reviewed.... god damn, it reached epic levels of cringe, that I couldn’t finish. It’s supposed to be a DBZ/EQ crossover, but starts describing the ladies with breast sizes of at least F.... worst of all, the author is delusional enough he’s in the right, and the rest in the wrong :dash:

• 4 weeks later...

My Little Dashie is pretty cringeworthy in my opinion. I really don’t like it.

Most self-insert stories where the human either becomes a pony or gets super powers and can use magic. These are wish fulfillment stories where the human usually comes from a crappy life on Earth and watches MLP as an escape. For no reason, a portal to Equestria appears and he's either changed into a pony or he can use magic, grows wings, and uses a sword. Not to mention, they are instantly liked by all the ponies and they marry their waifu without any problems. These stories were everywhere when the show came out and quickly became despised because of the lazy writing and the characters being total Mary Sues.    

• Brohoof 1