Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Has anyone played the Megaman Franchise?

ZethaPonderer

I'll start with the X series:

My favorite is X3 though I also love X1 and X2 for the SNES because of the Dash Shot Trick and X2's Buster Upgrade being the strongest buster in the X Trilogy for the SNES. I also played X4, and finally got the chance playing X5 and X6.

Shame though The X-Buster is nerfed from X5 and X6 since it can't go through walls unlike the previous games. Makes X weak IMO in comparison to Zero.

I like X3 even though I know a lot of people hate it. It brought so many innovations (although granted they barely worked e.g. Zero being playable) that was later on perfected at X4. Plus, it was my first exposure to a Megaman game and I defeated the Impenetrable Sigma Final Boss as a kid when I lost all hope in beating him. So satisfying when I did and the Golden Armor is a nice treat for me to play this game again along with getting Zero's Z-Saber if he gets to kill the Mosquito Miniboss. :)

END

What about you all? I'll share my experience on the Classic Megaman soon. In the meantime, I always wondered as a kid, does a girl play a Megaman game? So far my sister is completely uninterested in the franchise despite being a tomboy. I know girl gamers exist so I'm just asking out of curiosity if any of them play a Megaman game.

Heck I even played a game called Magical Taluluto for the Sega MegaDrive. Basically a Magical Girl Platformer. Probably the toughest game I ever played as a kid next to the Megaman games.

My favorite series is probably the X and Legends series, I've played all of those games to death, though I'm also partial to ZX and the Classic series. 

On the subject of those, I'd still love to see Legends 3 finally happen(we were soooo close :() as well as another Command Mission

• Brohoof 2

Yes, I enjoy the X series more, though.

I've played every single game in the main X series, My favorites are probably, X1,X4, and X8.  X7 sucked.

Not huge on the classic series, though.

• Brohoof 1

Who hasn't played at least one Megaman game? :P

Zero is my favorite series overall but Megaman X and ZX stand above them individually.

I wasn't a fan of the changes in ZX Advent. Couldn't bring myself to play it longer than a few hours on two separate playthroughs.

My favorite boss in the series is definitely against Iris' brother in X4. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here's what I liked about the Classic series

The OG Megaman looks cool. IMO cooler looking than X. Megaman X has to work to become cool by collecting upgrades to make him a bad@$$ since he doesn't look any different from the OG Megaman. But, with the OG Megaman he starts out cool with his Arm Cannon from 1-3, being upgraded to The Mega Buster 4-8, and being upgraded to The Mega Arm shortly from Megaman V for the Gameboy. He can copy robot bosses abilities and use it against them.

He may not Wall-Jump unlike later installments of the Megaman Franchise, but he started the foundation of the Franchise and his 8-bit sprite is nothing short of iconic.

Image result for 8 bit megaman

My favorite Classic Megaman game is Megaman 2 because of the Metal Blades and Quick Boomerang being some of the most overpowered boss weapons in Megaman history. Also the original Megaman 1 as well being my second favorite because of the Elec Beam and Fire Storm being just as overpowered as the weapons from Megaman 2. Both are legit Nintendo Die-Hard games and with little to no Energy Tanks (no Energy Tanks in MM1), makes them nearly unfair to play. But not impossible thanks to the boss weapons from the first two Megaman games for the NES and I love the challenge they present.

They're oldschool, but hold up well IMO.

Still Energy Tanks are useful.

My favorite Mega Buster from the later installments is definitely the 5th one cause it covers a wide radius and seems powerful in comparison to 4, 6, 7, 8.

I also like Megaman 7 because of the Super Adapter. So, my order goes like this: 2, 1, 7, 5, 6, 4, 3, and 8.

END

Edited by ZethaPonderer

I have played the first 2 Megaman games, the first 2 X games and Legends. The original Megaman games, I feel those have aged fairly poorly, especially the first one. The X series is far superior, though I am not overly fond of X2. X 1 however, that was an essential part of my childhood.

Now Megaman Legends, I friggin looooooooooooved that game. I really wish I could play it again. I actually never beat it, but I do remember I was really far into the game. I love its style, I love the gameplay and the music. Not sure how well it has aged but that is another reason why I want to experience it again.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I loved Mega Man 3! It was one of the first games I managed to complete (partially thanks to the password system, though). How I miss those days...

The only other one I have played is Network Transmission on GameCube, but I never got anywhere in that game for some reason. Maybe I should give it another try all these years later...

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

I've played Mega Man through Mega Man 9--the first eight on the anniversary collection and nine on the Wii--along with Dr. Wily's Revenge, Mega Man II, and Mega Man IV on the Game Boy--Mega Man IV being my favourite game in the entire series. I've also played Mega Man & Bass for the Game Boy Advance, the Power Fighters, Power Battle, and Mega Man and Chase. From the X series, I've played X through X6 on the anniversary collection, and Mega Man Starforce 1 for a short period.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more of a fan of the Megaman RPGs myself, namely Battle Network where all the robot masters are instead AI programs fighting viruses in a world where pretty much everything is connected to the internet and Starforce, which takes place a two hundred years in the future from Battle Network where they focus more on alien beings called EM Beings who can merge with humans (known as EM Wave Change) into super powered beings.

As for the other series, I've played the Zero games (not that I was any good at them!), X1, X5 and X6, ZX Advent and Megaman 9 & 10.  

• Brohoof 2

You know, Maverick Hunter X had potential to spark a whole series of X remakes, but the first one failed miserably. I dunno exactly why it failed (I've only played Vile mode until the first Sigma stage), but  I think the music is a good culprit. Most of the music is too quiet and docile techno that fails to catch the more intense gameplay X series has over the original Megaman. One of the very few remasters that actually works is the first Sigma battle 

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

You know, Maverick Hunter X had potential to spark a whole series of X remakes, but the first one failed miserably. I dunno exactly why it failed (I've only played Vile mode until the first Sigma stage), but  I think the music is a good culprit. Most of the music is too quiet and docile techno that fails to catch the more intense gameplay X series has over the original Megaman. One of the very few remasters that actually works is the first Sigma battle 

The platform it was on is usually the thing fans blame its failure on. It's a really good remake but an audience on the PSP just wasn't there. 

Granted the PSP picked in sales long after and the game would go on to have decent sales afterwards but the game was deemed a failure by Capcom's standards unfortunately. It's a shame, would have loved a remake of X4 with competent voice acting

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

The platform it was on is usually the thing fans blame its failure on. It's a really good remake but an audience on the PSP just wasn't there. 

Granted the PSP picked in sales long after and the game would go on to have decent sales afterwards but the game was deemed a failure by Capcom's standards unfortunately. It's a shame, would have loved a remake of X4 with competent voice acting

Zero (MMX4)

Dr. Light (MM8)

I think I'm the only one that finds joy out of the laughably awful voice acting in MMX4 and MM8 (unfortunately >_> ). So wrong on so many levels :lol:.

• Brohoof 1

I mean the VA was funny, but I still can't get over X sounding like a little girl. Megaman I can accept but not X :P

Plus, Mark Gatha was an excellent X

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Oh definitely agree on X4 sharing the same voice actor actress as MM8 being wrong on so many levels. He should at least sound like a mature-minded teenager at the very least in the X4 voice cast to distinguish between him and the OG Megaman. Thankfully they got his voice right (sort of) in MMX5 and MMX6.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
My bad. Thanks Steve Piranha :)

6 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

"WHAT I'M FIGHTING FOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" And to think I used to be exited that game had voice acting :D

Well, I could say that from X8 onward, despite short lived, had a competent dubbing, done by Ocean Dub.... to think there's a chance for having Megeman X characters as ponies other than the Megaman animated series :icwudt:.... except for X's: Mark Gatha, he retired from acting years ago. Can you imagine the Pony of Shadows having the voice of Sigma? 

11 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Plus, Mark Gatha was an excellent X

He's now a physician. you know what's the saddest part is? Most of his patients won't realize they where helped by X :lol: 

2 minutes ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Oh definitely agree on X4 sharing the same voice actor as MM8 being wrong on so many levels. He should at least sound like a mature-minded teenager at the very least in the X4 voice cast to distinguish between him and the OG Megaman. 

Actress, that was a woman :D

• Brohoof 2

On 7/24/2017 at 5:46 PM, PoisonClaw said:

I'm more of a fan of the Megaman RPGs myself, namely Battle Network where all the robot masters are instead AI programs fighting viruses in a world where pretty much everything is connected to the internet and Starforce, which takes place a two hundred years in the future from Battle Network where they focus more on alien beings called EM Beings who can merge with humans (known as EM Wave Change) into super powered beings.

As for the other series, I've played the Zero games (not that I was any good at them!), X1, X5 and X6, ZX Advent and Megaman 9 & 10.  

While I've never really played Battle Network I love the Star Force games. I've held out a tiny thread of hope that we'll get a new one someday but that hope is pointless when you consider the Megaman series itself is all but dead.

Also, you've played ZX Advent but not the original ZX? For shame. Vent > whatshisname from Advent.

I played the first 6 games of the classic series on Steam thanks to the Legacy Collection and loved them all to death (well.... except the very first one, I don't feel it aged that well unlike the others), now I'm gonna go on the games 7 to 10 with the upcoming Legacy Collection 2!

The only Battle Networks I've played are second, and Transmission. Battle Network is fine and all, but I think it has too many scrappy stuff like vague hints and too flat and labyrinthine web world. It gets tiring. Plus never been much fan of random encounters, specially if each takes too long and feel redundant. But the Transmission felt like an improvement for being a platformer while keeping the trademark management of chips. Funny thing is, I've spared Zero without knowing that he can be killed by the plot. I've always wandered to the part where the key item that is used to spare him, without ever knowing what it is for :lol: .

Well, you know? We may have yet to get any X characters as ponies, not helping that X's and AXL's VAs are retired, but at least Megaman.exe is there as various horses, like Shining Armor :D 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Here's my opinion on The Mega Man Zero series:

IMO I prefer Zero's original design from the X series,

Image result for megaman zero

but he looks respectable in his own series here.

Image result for megaman zero

A different art-style, but I eventually warmed up to it. :)

My first exposure was the 3rd installment which got rid of the stupid level-grinding pseudo RPG mechanic you had to do with your weapons in the first two installments. That's not to say I didn't like the first two since I prefer the 1st one. 2 I find boring, but necessary for plot progression. 4 is probably my least favorite in comparison to the first 3.

So my order goes like this from favorite to least favorite: 3, 1, 2, 4.

The difficulty of the MMZ series is legendary IMO. You really need to bring your A-game (literally if you want the EX skills of the later installments bosses drop after beating them) in Mega Man Zero with the exception of the first one.

I know I did say I like a game with a good challenge and while Mega Man Zero is challenging, it also brought innovations I find incredibly discouraging to experiment and ultimately made it pointless to use them. I'm talking about the Cyber-Elves and using them decreases your ranking score which will prevent you getting the EX skills. You need to have your rank on either S, A, or B to get EX skills in the later installments except the first one which has none. Mega Man Zero 3 is an exception since I can install satellite elves and it will not effect my ranking score. Honestly, I don't like the ranking system cause it serves as a reminder every-time I play the series that I got to bring my A-game when I don't necessarily have to do that with the X and Classic series.

MMZ series is something I would not recommend for the faint of heart. I'm getting off topic here, but its relevant for what I think about the challenging factor of MMZ series. I like the first two Classic Mega Man games on the NES because I forgive them for their seemingly unfair difficulty for their time despite the fact that they have aged poorly. But, for MMZ, I can't because it made the whole process of feeding and using Cyber Elves incredibly discouraging in the long run. I might as well not even bother collecting them and just be a pro in this game which I hate.

Edited by ZethaPonderer

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the bosses in the X series are damn challenging. For example, the final boss in X1, X3, and X4 are pretty tough, I can never beat Sigma's final form in X4 without dying multiple times. Probably more difficult than X1. Maybe even X3.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Interesting @Celli. Well I did find the Sigma Final Boss of X3 to be nearly impossible to beat if you don't know what you're doing (Use a well timed cross-charge buster shot to hit him on the head). I think it was the first time I ever cried in a video game I could never beat.

X4's Final boss to me is quite a cakewalk in comparison to the Sigma Battle Body in X3.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I love the Mega Man series. Mega Man X is one of my favorite video games of all time. I've completed Mega Man 1-10, and X-X8. Command Mission is the only one I haven't played much of though I do really want to. I really liked Legends 1 & 2 as well.

Edited by ultrairongorilla