Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S07:E14 - Fame and Misfortune

PinkiePie97

Share your thoughts!  

173 users have voted

1. 1. Share your thoughts!

• "Are you kidding me?! This episode should've stayed dead and buried like Twilicorn!" (Hate it!)
    • "Typical. Just like the Mane 6's characters, they've slipped backwards again." (Dislike it)
    • "Meh. I'd put it onto the 'maybe' pile of good ideas. (So-so)
    • "There are things we like, and there are things we dislike, but I certainly liked this episode! :D" (Like)
    • "I love the Mane 6, and I love this episode!! <3" (Love!)
    • ...Wait, where the heck was Spike?! :V (???)

Personally I really liked this episode. I don't think any other episode have made me laugh more. The song is the only part I didn't like. It isn't bad but it isn't something to hang in the christmas tree either. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Gestum said:

Personally I really liked this episode. I don't think any other episode have made me laugh more. The song is the only part I didn't like. It isn't bad but it isn't something to hang in the christmas tree either. 

The song has that pop style from Equestria Girls and seems to borrow various more specific style elements from one or two of them. (Dunno the specific title, but very much at the beginning I thought I definitely have heard this before.)

19 minutes ago, Dowlphin said:

Well, it was hinted that they'd deal with that problem eventually. How and whether successful will be for the viewer's imagination. One can also imagine several reasons why the writers left it out. Time constraints, connection to real life, continuity difficulty (wanting to keep it mostly an isolated event), a message that you cannot resolve everything and need to accept and live with some/many things.

My first thought for that explanation was the writers simply not having enough time to include everything that they had wanted. Even so, that's still what made me step back from the episode.

I have a bit of a silly question... (anyone can answer)

During this episode's song I was able to clearly hear what all the flaws were of the main characters. However, I didn't quite hear RainbowDash state what hers are. She seemed to have worded her part differently. What line did she state her flaw?

45 minutes ago, Venomous said:

During this episode's song I was able to clearly hear what all the flaws were of the main characters. However, I didn't quite hear RainbowDash state what hers are. She seemed to have worded her part differently. What line did she state her flaw?

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Flawless

(I still think Pinkie said jump, not joke. It makes more sense to me that she jumps around because she is so happy, not jokes around. The former is a pure expression of joy, the latter more of an entertainment agenda, more from the head. But the lyrics aren't a masterpiece, so who knows?)

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

What a large majority of "bronies" seem to love to do, is utterly ignore that demographic, and then cry and whine because the show is not raising the bar for them and what they feel it should be.

So, to clarify, you think that significantly more than half (i.e., a "large majority") of bronies act in the manner that you describe? That strikes me as a pretty bold claim. Would you contend, for example, that significantly more than half of the members of MLP Forums, or the posts made on MLP Forums about the show, exhibit this behavior?

The reason I ask is that, in my years as a member here, I don't feel like that's what I've observed. And as I've said in previous posts, my concern is that if people perceive there to be many more "undesirables" (whiners, haters, nitpickers, etc.) than there actually are, then they might feel more justified in ganging up on perceived "undesirables" with ridicule, shaming, and stigmatization, with the effect of stifling minority opinions and narrowing the range of "acceptable" discussion. And, particularly as someone who has often made critical posts about the show, I would think that the purpose of forums like this one is to facilitate wide-ranging discussion and debate of differing observations, views, and opinions about the show, including critical or dissenting ones which many other members might disagree with.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Music Chart Fan said:

So, to clarify, you think that significantly more than half (i.e., a "large majority") of bronies act in the manner that you describe? That strikes me as a pretty bold claim. Would you contend, for example, that significantly more than half of the members of MLP Forums, or the posts made on MLP Forums about the show, exhibit this behavior?

The reason I ask is that, in my years as a member here, I don't feel like that's what I've observed. And as I've said in previous posts, my concern is that if people perceive there to be many more "undesirables" (whiners, haters, nitpickers, etc.) than there actually are, then they might feel more justified in ganging up on perceived "undesirables" with ridicule, shaming, and stigmatization, with the effect of stifling minority opinions and narrowing the range of "acceptable" discussion. And, particularly as someone who has often made critical posts about the show, I would think that the purpose of forums like this one is to facilitate wide-ranging discussion and debate of differing observations, views, and opinions about the show, including critical or dissenting ones which many other members might disagree with.

So, I'm pretty new here, but I've already seen more than a few examples of the behavior shown in the episode. I've seen people here, and elsewhere, say that the complaints in the episode are outdated. That nobody is complaining about Fluttershy anymore, so why even mention it. I'd just like to point out that we can replace Fluttershy with someone else. Twilight got hate after No Second Prances for not learning that Starlight needed to make friends on her own from The Crystaling. Don't even get started on the Starlight hate, which I think every single one of those fandom problems could be applied to (maybe not applejack's, but I'm still not sure what that one was trying to say). The names and targets of the behaviors aren't important, the behavior is. 

I doubt very much that half the fandom behaves like this. I doubt it's even close to twenty percent. But that doesn't matter. There was one fan we never got to see in the episode, and it's the one I identify with: the one who read the journal, enjoyed it, and then went about their business. The writers have never heard a peep out me, and I bet the same is true for a large number, if not the majority of fans. The number of people who act out like this might small, but they make up for it by being louder than those who never say anything.

The best critiscism or at least the one that stood out the most to me was this:IMG_0729.thumb.PNG.89fb4c86fcf6587982c5a90bfaa7a4f9.PNG

There is a point at which healthy critiscism becomes toxic, and it's  when your critiscism becomes loud enough, constant enough, and nasty enough for it to start ruining the show for others. With all else said, I feel like the writers were trying to make two key points.

Don't ruin the experience for others, including those who have to work on the show.

And dont focus so much on the problems an episode has that you ignore or dismiss the message the writers are trying to convey, or let that ruin the episode for you. (Which is something that I am definitely guilty of)

I realize that's not something everyone, especially hyper-critical people want to hear. But the writers have every right to express how the level of criticism they receive effects them, and I feel like this was the best way to do it.

Edited by ShootingStar159
  • Brohoof 14

1 minute ago, Music Chart Fan said:

I dunno, a large majority means different things to different people, it is not an exact figure. Some would argue anything I suppose (despite majority meaning more than half... so that is my bad in using the terminology poorly). I don't care about the number though since it is irreverent, I was not looking at percentages, I was basing it upon the various threads I see here, there and other assorted places, I am not looking to do headcounts here.

And yes a large amount of them do act that way. To clarify I am talking about the fandom in general, NOT JUST these forums, although these forums do have their fair share of them as well. I have no idea what you have been looking at though, since you can sometimes not go an entire day without stumbling over either a couple of posts or an entire thread on the subject. You forget you can't "gang up", "ridicule", "shame" or "stigmatize" "undesirables" on this forum very easily since it will often involve moderator action, and it rightfully should.

I agree with the bolded part of your statement... everyone is free to have an opinion and express it anyway they like, whether or not anyone agrees with it. But that is not what my point is about. If you do not like an episode or find fault in it, that is fine, no one can tell you how to feel about a particular episode... you can love it to death, or hate it with a fiery passion... it is all fair game. But there is a difference between giving a review of an episode you liked or hated and being realistic about it, and one that is just bashing it relentlessly or bringing it up again and again because (some generic examples):

• it is reforming a villain (again, it is aimed at kids with a very CLEAR message right in the title. I don't necessarily agree with reformations, I just understand them)
  • is not starring your favorite character in every episode in every scene.
  • Has a character you dislike in any episode or scene.
  • Does not spend more time explaining something when you can clearly see the clock ticking. (To be fair, I have been guilty of this)
  • Is destroying your personal headcanon
  • Is not putting episodes out doing exactly what you say and think should be happening
  • it is evolving the show for you
  • it is not evolving the show for you
  • Is comparing it to real world physics, politics, laws, thinking and just reality in general.
  • It is not becoming the serious cartoon dealing with real life issues like South Park for example.
  • It has not hurried up and ended to avoid becoming stale.

Yes these are all opinions and people are free to have them and communicate them.... but to continually nitpick at it, or go on long spiels about how it is destroying the show, fandom, or their life is heading into obnoxious territory.  For many observers it is tiring as all hell, and often makes you wonder what anyone really is thinking and wanting... I can't even begin to imagine what it makes the creators think.

The writers are trying to write this show for everybody... they are aiming it at children, but trying to continue making everyone happy in some way, shape or form. And yet quite a few just don't seem to see that. They cannot just say "Geez, that episode sucked.... oh well it wasn't for me."... instead it is often "Goddamn stupid writers don't know the brony fanbase at all! I am seriously wondering why I even bother watching this dumb show. _____ is so much better and is doing it right!"

Of course more often than not _______ is not aimed at children, MLP is. And it is my opinion that a large amount of the fandom choose to ignore that to further their own feelings of discontent.

• Brohoof 5

37 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

There was one fan we never got to see in the episode, and it's the one I identify with: the one who read the journal, enjoyed it, and then went about their business. The writers have never heard a peep out me, and I bet the same is true for a large number, if not the majority of fans

I think the word you're looking for is "silent majority".

• Brohoof 4

very strange to admit spike isn't with twilight in this episode. in the beginning, i didn't trust starlight on the journal distribution. i was afraid she would commit a marketing scheme and betray the mane 6. luckily none of that happened (although i think starlight is kinda meh for me). 

otoh, i loved the musical showcase the mane 6 sang. They wanted the crowd to prove they're imperfect on friendships.

Just now, powerpuff-tsubasa said:

i was afraid she would commit a marketing scheme and betray the mane 6

What.

Are you afraid Starlight is secretly still evil or something? O.o

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Celli said:

What.

Are you afraid Starlight is secretly still evil or something? O.o

yes. i'm glad she's trying to grow, but i still don't trust her fully whether she would be better or worse

Edited by powerpuff-tsubasa

I'm totally in love with the song now, and it has given me the energy to even partially watch the episode several times, which I normally don't do anymore.

There is one segment in the song that strangely catches my attention every time, dunno whether you noticed: When Twilight is singing while looking at her book, that felt so much like typical regular music video techniques where the singer is doing something unrelated/mundane while singing the lines. Gave me a mild déjà vu feeling, especially with that enthusiastically-confident look of hers. Maybe it reminds me of a scene from a very specific music video, but I'd have no idea which. It's just a total magic moment for me.

reference:

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 4

When I think about a better story with the lesson of not being obnoxious with your criticism, I basically just think of season 6's "Stranger Than Fan Fiction." That doesn't really cover everything this episode is trying to say, but I still don't think anything else in this episode comes across as clearly as its attempts to refute criticism. "Stranger Than Fan Fiction" had empathy for Quibble, whereas this just sort of feels like an angry screed to me. 

51 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Damn, Perfect Pear aired months ago, and as of now it has only 9 pages, while we are already in the 15th :blink:. This episode really gave much to talk :dash: 

Controversy breeds conversation, especially when the subject matter seems tailor-made to bring out hostility. 

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Controversy breeds conversation, especially when the subject matter seems tailor-made to bring out hostility. 

Controversation tail-made to breed horsetility.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Stop, I'm allergic to puns! 

Then you better stay far away from me. I'm a puntheist.

Although I recommend you just enjoy the hay fever.

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Still rather impressive considering the aforementioned episode has been a fandom demand since times of yore :dash:

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Damn, Perfect Pear aired months ago, and as of now it has only 9 pages, while we are already in the 15th :blink:. This episode really gave much to talk :dash:

The episode made you think and want to talk about it, IN GOOD WAYS (in my opinion).

2 hours ago, Dowlphin said:

Controversation tail-made to breed horsetility.

OMG. I love you :nom:. I have a very long way to learn about puns. :nom:

4 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

The names and targets of the behaviors aren't important, the behavior is. 

Very good point. You can apply this episode to any toxic fandom that make brony fandom look tame in comparision. 

3 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

It has not hurried up and ended to avoid becoming stale.

relentlessly or bringing it up again and again because

Remind me about a guy who constant rambling about leaving the show after the movie end for more than 6 months. I read almost all of his comments for over 6 months :nom:

Has a character you dislike in any episode or scene.

*Reading Fame & Misfortune promo video comment section of Equestria Daily*. "Will Starlight save the day" type of comments come to mind, just because she is in promo, its doesnt mean she will steal everyone spotline, darnit.

5 hours ago, Music Chart Fan said:

So, to clarify, you think that significantly more than half (i.e., a "large majority") of bronies act in the manner that you describe?

I think he may be a bit exaggerated. I think Vocal minority is more accurate, because a lot of people doesnt love the show anymore left the show/fandom . :please: Toxicity doesnt need numbers, they just need to be louder.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

I liked this episode, but the ponies who raved over the mane six really ticked me off. I am just sitting there like, WTF, are they really that stupid? 

Do the mass number of ponies have no realization that their lives, and the entire planet has been saved several times over by the mane six? How could they possibly think that the book was not a work of fiction, and the ponies were not "characters"?

The song was pretty good. 

• Brohoof 4

It is rare that, in a show like this, meta references fit in with the episode. An episode filled with meta references, and almost nothing but...it's an interesting first for the series. I don't dislike the episode, and it is a fun episode in a lot of ways, but it's unlikely to be one that I go out of my way to watch very often.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, Star Petal said:

I liked this episode, but the ponies who raved over the mane six really ticked me off. I am just sitting there like, WTF, are they really that stupid? 

Do the mass number of ponies have no realization that their lives, and the entire planet has been saved several times over by the mane six? How could they possibly think that the book was not a work of fiction, and the ponies were not "characters"?

The song was pretty good. 

Yeah, that bothered me a little too, but not because I found it not believable. It was just painful to watch. Common people are often like that. Yes, sure, there's a princess and she has friends, and she saved Equestria or something, but you know, they have other stuff to care about. What do they actually know. Yeah, people are that shocking sometimes. I learned the hard way. The show has always focused so much on the main cast that it masked the rest of the population. So in a way the critique works the other way, too, even though not necessarily fair: What does the mane 6 actually know about the common ponies out there?

They did get a taste every now and then though. I found that Manehattan episodes were always a good reality check. Now I remember I actually made a blog entry about one in this context:

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, azbat said:

I love that this episode was released the same weekend as BronyCon. I am certain that was intentional. An extra layer of meta-ness.

Gave the whole thing a meta-like paint.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Dowlphin said:

Gave the whole thing a meta-like paint.

Yes, but the reactors just recently react. :pout: Applegeek and Blank Check still haven't.

• Brohoof 2