Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why you love the show so much

Ponyboy sodapop

Well, I was dealing with a depression that for years, was slowly killing me. When I discovered ponies, I think the positive, still not perfect, but overall character development-focused plot hook me. But my love for poneh reached Guinness World Record-high in Magical Mystery Cure, specially at the song A True True Friend. Overwhelmed by joy that I'd cried. Kept following ponies ever since 

• Brohoof 6

At first, I was skeptical about Friendship is Magic but I found out there were so many pony videos I've looked at lately. So to find out what made it spectacular, I watched the first season from start to finish. I was amazed on all the friendship morals it told us (even those that relate to us in our world). Afterwards, I've joined the herd and I couldn't be at a happier place!

This shows you that you shouldn't judge somepony or a program on the outside. It's the inside that counts.

• Brohoof 3

2D animation in general is something that I've always loved, so much so that I was very close to pursuing it as a career. I grew up in the 90's (I was in 5th grade in '99) and there were a lot of good cartoons that I liked. Nowadays, a lot of the newer cartoons seem to be a lot stupider or have lazy animation and just aren't interesting to me because of it. I like shows that have interesting characters and good animation and don't try to just entertain with stupidity. Shows with an ensemble cast are something I like also. To me MLP reminds me of shows like Hey Arnold and Ed, Edd n Eddy, and Powerpuff Girls.

Another thing I really liked immediately is that the show is made with Flash. I've used flash for animation a little bit in school and really liked working with it. The animators do a really good job with the use of the program compared to a lot of other shows that have used it.

Everyone working on the show does really seem to care and it shows. The show could have just been a paycheck to those involved and it would have been long fizzled by now and no one would have noticed. (Look at how that went with gen 3.5):blink:

edit:

I thought about it a little more and there are a couple more things.

The expressiveness and dynamism/liveliness of the characters, in terms of voice work and animation.

4 legged animated characters are amusing to me because I like the different expressions that can be added to such characters, (i.e ears going down when sad, crouching down when scared, etc.) It's kind of hard for me to explain- Think of how you can read your pet dog or cat. When my cat knows she did something wrong/bad, she does this thing where she slinks down low and quickly trots by looking dead ahead. It's something that can only be portrayed by a 4 legged animal. Elements like that added to intelligent characters makes it more interesting/amusing/cute to me.

I also like when topics are put in the show that you wouldn't expect to see in it, like Starlight's "Equalsville" cult, and how far they took the topic. I still can't believe that script got approved!! :lol:

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

The biggest thing that kept me coming back to the show all these years is how real these characters are, both as characters and in their interactions with other characters and their environment. Very candid reactions to certain events or behaviors from pretty much every character that gets more than a few seconds screen time, very real-world type issues that arise in nearly every episode (often with very real-world solutions), and a decent amount of humor for all ages, not just the younger target audience. The relative novelty of a cartoon made with Flash was a neat added bonus.

• Brohoof 3

I discovered the show at a dark point of my teenage years and I credit it for helping me beat my depression. So it holds a lot of sentimental value for me.

And of course I adore the characters, especially the ones I can relate to the most like Twilight, Starlight, and Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 4

The simple explanation is that the show makes me happy. I used to be a pretty lonely person, I still have barely to no friends and my life has been up and down. My Little Pony has helped me realize that there's friends for everyone. And even if you do not "hang out" all the time, people still care about you. Dumb reason? Maybe. But it's my reason. :derp: Ever since I discovered this show, I haven't been feeling too lonely anymore. I'm still alone — which is getting "fixed", but I'm not lonely.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, GeekySonic said:

It gave me something to be happy about. It gave me a fandom that I've enjoyed more than any other. It made me feel at home. It let me make friends.

My reverence has since faded, of course. Which sucks, because above all else, it was just fun. Ponies the Anthology 6 came out recently. That was fun. I used to feel that kind of joy and excitement for anything in the fandom. But now it's just not as fun for me.

Even the show itself. I only watch new episodes as they release. Back in season 5 when I first started watching, I would wake up and wait eagerly for the new episode. Now, I watch the episodes hours after they air, and it feels like a chore. Like I'm doing it out of obligation.

I guess it's just time for me to take another break from MLP.

Then it's wise you do take a break. Don't do any chore if you aren't paid for it :D

Just now, StrawCherry said:

The simple explanation is that the show makes me happy. I used to be a pretty lonely person, I still have barely to no friends and my life has been up and down. My Little Pony has helped me realize that there's friends for everyone. And even if you do not "hang out" all the time, people still care about you. Dumb reason? Maybe. But it's my reason. :derp: Ever since I discovered this show, I haven't been feeling too lonely anymore. I'm still alone — which is getting "fixed", but I'm not lonely.

That's another high point of ponies: there's a place for every kind of person, and embracing diversity. Made me realize that I value something, even if others don't think so for not being how they'd expected me to be

• Brohoof 3

It's a vibrant, light-hearted show that also has great moments and amazing characters. There is something that I see in the display of these characters that I can relate to. I was genuinely surprised at when I first found the show and it was also during in a time in my life when everything looked down. It has helped me tremendously in my outlook in things now and I'm glad to say that it has really changed me.

• Brohoof 2

I am 16 years old, I was having a really sad time in my life, I Star watching the show and kind of like it, then I watch more and more and just start to love it i feel a little ashamed for liking it at first but the more I watch it the less I care about that

the show just makes me feel super happy, and it's pretty damm good like really well made, everything it's 3 dimensional and there is a lot of effort on this show.

i have learn a lot about friends cause this show actually analyzed the topic instead of just saying be nice and that's it, friendship is really magic, it's just the truth,

i am 16 years old and I love my little pony so much and not feel ashamed about that , it makes me happy it's important to me , this fandom is just amazing and I wanna thank everyone for being so nice to me , you are like the best thing that has ever happen to me just thanks.

• Brohoof 1

Like many others, I started watching out of boredom. MLP has helped me with that, I feel I have something to look forward to whenever I watch an episode. It's also such a feel-good show without being too saccharine.

The main reason I liked MLP at first was its humor, though the more action-oriented episodes also appealed to me. Later I have grown to appreciate the characters more and more. They are exceptionally well written for a show originally aimed at kids. The main characters are likable but have obvious flaws, making their personalities more realistic. I also love that there's a sense of continuity missing from a lot of cartoons – while most episodes are stand-alone and could easily be enjoyed out of order, many of the events in the series affect later episodes and there is clear character development.

What can I say? It's one of the greatest cartoons I have ever seen and I don't think I can give just one reason for why I love it.

• Brohoof 3

Many reasons why I like the show. Every now and then, I watch an episode and have another turning point. The show tends to keep growing on me.

When I first started watching it, it was only in short, intermittent clips when I popped in to visit my daughter who was watching episodes everyday for a while on Netflix. For a while, I never watched an entire episode. I thought it was cute and all, but no big deal.

Then I saw this:

I have to admit - this scene hit me so hard I had to leave the room. I just clenched my fists in anger and let tears stream down my face. The cruelty, and relevance to our own 'human condition' of the scene was so brilliantly captured. At that moment I realized the show had depth to it that I never expected. I asked my daughter to restart the episode to watch it from the beginning - the rest is history.

• Brohoof 3

One reason I like it in particular because it is a rather low tension show, which makes it a lot more relaxing and fun.  I've got enough sources of stress without my entertainment contributing too.

Well really MLP has become my direction of life now. Apparently I can see that I'm specially designed to do exactly what I did in my theory of the show and it's who I am. I'm designed to make the ponies a reality on this planet to save us humans from killing ourselves off over time. Anyways every time I watch the show I feel that I'm my OC in my lab watching over my creations and I also feel that everything that takes place in the show is actually around 4600 years into the future. :)

• 3 years later...

It was absolutely amazing to see people (Bronies) choosing to love a show that was 2D and a slightly controversial design on top of that. It made it quite easy for me to enjoy the show and the fandom. After 3 years of the show running, people were actually creating video games like Fighting is Magic, when the 2D style had been doomed to fail 5 to 8 years prior. It was proof to me that people choose to like things that are good, and not just the current trend

• Brohoof 1

I'm 17 and i LOVE mlp.

At first I thought it was a girly show for little kids, but when I watched it for the first time to give it a chance, I was amazed that it taught me even more than my parents. It has made me a better person, teaching me to appreciate the tiny things more and be grateful for what I have. Before I watched it, I barely had any friends and was lonely but after I followed the lessons that they taught, I realised that I was getting liked by more people, and made more close relationships. It has made my a lighter and happier person, and I would reccomend anyone regardless of their age to watch it. I've been watching the show for 3 years, and I'm not the slightest bit ashamed of it.

• Brohoof 3

The characters hooked me the most cause they’re amazing and always will be.   

It also gave me a reason to continue in a bad part of my teenage years when I was making plans to leave the world. 

• Brohoof 1

For months after I started watching it, I had to stop and say to myself, ‘Why? Why do I love it so much?’ :huh:  People would mock me and ask ‘What do you love so much about it? Does it really have that much of an effect on you?’ :(

And then it hit me. It’s the ponies themselves! :ph3ar: The Mane Six themselves! :pinkie: As soon as I saw them together, I realised something. I realised that they were what I needed in my life for so long. :mlp_icwudt: Something to never stop smiling at. The unity, the camaraderie, never giving up on each other. :adorkable: That is what spoke to me. And now, here we are. A year and four months of being a fan and those Six ponies have helped me out of the deepest darkest moments of my life. :rarity: And for that, I will forever be grateful to them...

380EC2B1-3D37-400D-916F-67BAB493F4A9.thumb.png.08ceaad32e148c0805966f7206e152c8.png

• Brohoof 1

Why I love this show so much is pretty much everything. I never get tired of the characters, so much creatures, a immensely vast world to explore. Plus, the people it brought together community wise and pop culture wise is something that always gets my attention the most. Who would have thought a flash animated show about six cute colored ponies would become one of the biggest cartoon shows of our time that conquered the internet if not the world? 

• Brohoof 1

For how much I hate a lot about the show it's only fractions of the total products and minutia. 

At first I was impressed by how not bad g4 was compared to what I knew it was before and the reputation it had up until that moment. Mlp was THE universal reference for what it was the girliest thing in the universe just like how Barney or the Teletubbies are the first reference for weird mindless dumbed down kids shows. Which means that aside from being pink as heck there was never conflict and everyone wins in the end, everyone becomes a princess, the problems to solve were if the characters should wear a dress or another dress to a party, and so on. I can't relate to that, not even as a child which was supposed to be the target demographic, I hated it. It was the barbie of cartoons only because barbie didn't had a cartoon back then.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS80_W8CauxFo_wyJbaT5E

And I was never introduced to the very first movie, otherwise I would have been all over it and then be disappointed by the cartoons.

So when I saw g4 it was shocking. It was good. And even if it had it's issues, some more than others, others that reminded me of that ultra girly era like Cadence and Flurry Heart (that's exactly the reason I don't like them at all and why I'm still opposed to Twi's quick ascension), it continued to be generally good because of the characters and the premise, the lessons, the very interesting world building... It was very different and similar at the same time to other shows I liked, to the shows I liked the most up until that moment but I cannot point them out because it's also it's own new thing. Aside if course from the animation, the cutie mark concept of finding yourself. What is not attractive about that?

And I wanted to see the characters succeed and grow and overcome their very relatable challenges. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

The show has lots of funny and inspirational moments in it. Also, when I was a bit younger, I found myself personally connecting with Fluttershy. When she was extremely shy, I was extremely shy. When she learned how to become more social, I did as well.

• Brohoof 2

To me, it's feel good show. When I watch the show it make better after stressful week and during looking forward to next episode. Did feel bit sad when season finished and was stop at mid season. But kinda different at last two seasons, as I was catching up and feel show lost it magic abit.

The show has always been very heart-warming to me. It's very much a sit back and relax type of show that's just wholesome in everyway. I love the characters, I love a lot of the humour, I love Discord!. It's just always stuck with me and I generally just see it as a "good show". Nothing amazing, but just a good show. 

Plus what show's have DISCORD in them? 

CorruptInbornHuemul-size_restricted.gif