Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Earth so delicate?

heavens-champion

3 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Have you noticed how fragile Earth is. With stuff like pollution, global warming, giant space rocks with the power to wipe out entire species, it's a miracle the planet doesn't blow up from a single sneeze.

I don't think you realize how much we've messed up our planet. Each person releases TONS of CO2 every year. I mean as in METRIC TONS. Not even joking.

Also, those space rocks fly several TIMES faster than bullets and are a mile in diameter. How's that not going to do a lot of damage?

You obviously don't even know what you're talking about here, and this isn't the first time you've made a post that makes this little sense.

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Nerdy Luigi said:

I don't think you realize how much we've messed up our planet. Each person releases TONS of CO2 every year. I mean as in METRIC TONS. Not even joking.

Also, those space rocks fly several TIMES faster than bullets and are a mile in diameter. How's that not going to do a lot of damage?

You obviously don't even know what you're talking about here, and this isn't the first time you've made a post that makes this little sense.

and those nukes people like to test

• Brohoof 2

Earth is not fragile, we are. We can only survive if the Earth can maintain our specific environmental requirements. Once we're gone, the only thing that will be left living in this world will be jellyfish and hardy bacteriums for the next 200,000,000 years until the planet's environments rebounds.

Just now, Sunset Rose said:

Earth is not fragile, we are. We can only survive if the Earth can maintain our specific environmental requirements. Once we're gone, the only thing that will be left living in this world will be jellyfish and hardy bacteriums for the next 200,000,000 years until the planet's environments rebounds.

Pretty much this. The Earth has been around for a MUCH longer time than any living organism on it. We've had quite a few hits from rocks (heck that's what created the moon, if you will), the earth's climate has shifted more than once (ice age, anyone), and such. Humans are the fragile creatures. If you even move the Earth a little closer to or a little farther from the Sun, then we'd be in trouble.

Earth survives.

• Brohoof 7

20 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Pretty much this. The Earth has been around for a MUCH longer time than any living organism on it. We've had quite a few hits from rocks (heck that's what created the moon, if you will), the earth's climate has shifted more than once (ice age, anyone), and such. Humans are the fragile creatures. If you even move the Earth a little closer to or a little farther from the Sun, then we'd be in trouble.

Earth survives.

Earth survives, but we will not see it because we probably will be dead when we fucked up our own. :orly:

Because God made it that way..till God made men. And He was like "oooooh buck." Nevertheless He still loves us all.. but even so.. g1457700250919059041.jpg

On 11/15/2017 at 11:17 PM, heavens-champion said:

Have you noticed how fragile Earth is. With stuff like pollution, global warming, giant space rocks with the power to wipe out entire species, it's a miracle the planet doesn't blow up from a single sneeze.

life is delicate, earth is delicate. It's like growing a flower in a desert. An arctic desert

More or less, I think it's the human species that's delicate, not the Earth. I say this because the Earth has been around for billions of years and will continue to be around for several more billion years, however the human species has only been around for a few million years and will possibly only be around for a few million more, if not less. Humans are fragile because they are susceptible to diseases, famines, and won't be able to survive without the Earth. The Earth will survive all these things and more such as asteroid impacts and mega volcanic eruptions because the Earth has survived all these things in the past and has continued to come back every time, with new species of life walking the surface of the planet.    

Earth is the little bitty planet whomstve be saved from asteroid impact by gas planet Jupiter because it has a lot of gravity and it is right next to the asteroid belt which means that Jupiter takes all the impacts. I feel bad for the guy

1 minute ago, gamecubeguy214 said:

Earth is the little bitty planet whomstve be saved from asteroid impact by gas planet Jupiter because it has a lot of gravity and it is right next to the asteroid belt which means that Jupiter takes all the impacts. I feel bad for the guy

Nah, he's just saving up; get enough extra mass and energy that way, and eventually he can ignite and become a second sun :)

• Brohoof 2

When people say "save the planet", they usually mean "save the ecosystem". Like others said, the planet itself isn't very fragile, living beings are.

Earth has been through loads of shit since its formation, and life itself has seen mass extinctions. You can find evidence of those events in rocky deposits, and even genetic structure (there are markers showing "bottlenecks" which cause species to be way less diverse in affected regions).

Now, does that mean human influence is negligible, for example with the infamous Global Warming? maybe - we do emit CO2 and methane (and trust me methane is a MUCH STRONGER greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide), but it's nigh-impossible to specifically calculate our impact (compared to volcanic emissions for example). Would those endangered/extinct species have died off anyway, without human interference? definitely not - some of them were directly hunted to extinction, or killed by predators imported by humans.

On the other hand, certain animals (and plants) were modified to work with humans, either on purpose (domestication) or not (opportunist species in particular).

That being said, we're still just passengers in this journey - vulnerable to catastrophic events, but able to adapt as a population. It just so happens that we're more obnoxious and deadlier to certain other passengers. Or at least were; there have been more and more efforts to limit the ecological damage and climate change.

12 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Nah, he's just saving up; get enough extra mass and energy that way, and eventually he can ignite and become a second sun :)

G0VTYii.gif

*WikiLeaks intensifies*

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

On 11/16/2017 at 2:17 AM, heavens-champion said:

It actually might still be here when the Sun goes Red Giant phase 3. Depending on mass and how that impacts our orbit. Earth survived being hit by a Mars sized object, it can take quite a bit. Even a GRB. The ecosystem however ... with the exception of tardigrade species and other extremophiles ... is not as resilient. 

And none of that even matters. I'm gonna deliver today's existential crisis. 

There is an end to just about all things. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I would argue that the earth isn't actually that delicate considering it's been through many events e.g. asteroid impacts and the collusion of a sister planet, and is still around now.

• 6 months later...

Even if Earth was delicate (and delicious), it has survived countless of stuff over the years. I think the message to try to save Earth from stuff like pollution, global warming, etc, is still very important.

I have noticed that our moon is actually an egg, with a pterodactyl embryo inside. You can see it if you look into the full moon at night, the shadow sleeping inside the glowing moon egg. It will one day hatch, and Earth is just green and delicate and delicious, because it will be the snack for the cute baby when it is hatched! Then the pterodactyl will fly away towards the stars. The end!

Spoiler

:ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

This thread's title is absurdly misleading, that seems to have been asked for political reasons rather than with the desire of actually learning anything. It should be asked how the Earth tolerated us dumping millions of cubic meters of carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere for so long without become a $#!+hole.

Edited by Le Angel Dust
  • Brohoof 1

The Earth is stronger than humanity could ever hope to be. It will be around far longer than humans, even if we are destroying the atmosphere. Mankind itself takes everything for granted to the point of its own destruction, but Earth as a planet doesn't give a single fug.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
(edited)
On 2019-12-14 at 3:22 PM, Somebody that Exists said:

This thread's title is absurdly misleading, that seems to have been asked for political reasons rather than with the desire of actually learning anything. It should be asked how the Earth tolerated us dumping millions of cubic meters of carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere for so long without become a $#!+hole.

Cut me some slack. By the way, this was not asked for political reasons. (I hate politics)

Edited by heavens-champion