Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who here felt uncomfortable watching the movie?

twilightsparkle3562

I know some of you have heard me say that the movie made me feel VERY uncomfortable in certain places, particularly the tense scenes with the Storm King's forces occupation of Canterlot and the treatment the ponies went through (caged, chained, enslaved, etc.) along with 3 of the 4 Princesses being turned to stone. 

But, I want to ask you: who else felt uncomfortable watching the movie?

• Brohoof 1

It didn't make me feel uncomfortable per say, but I was taken aback by the dark imagery and flat out slavery. I know those concepts aren't new to MLP, but they're usually glossed over or toned down, while in the movie it was pretty front and center in some scenes. Since I didn't follow anything about the production of the movie or watched the trailers, read any of the promotional comics or books, I was pretty surprised by the overall tone of the film.

Although, the realization that the movie was kinda like the Spongebob movie lightened the tension to me halfway through.

• Brohoof 2

Not uncomfortable. I’ve seen much worse in tons of cartoons throughout my life.

However I WAS frickin’ taken aback by Verko. I’ll need to  watch they film again, because it was only for a split second, but I swear I thought I saw his carriage being pulled by honest-to-God Equestrian citizens. I was appalled.

Which is probably why I vividly remember mentally shouting at Tempest to kill him when he grabbed her by the face.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, when some of the CG elements were on screen. ;)

Plotwise, nothing in here made me uncomfortable in the way you are thinking, though Twilight blowing up at Pinkie was a moment that I felt the intended awkwardness and shock ... but in that good way ... when a writer hopes the audience empathizes with a character on screen. 

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Boba Tea said:

though Twilight blowing up at Pinkie was a moment that I felt the intended awkwardness and shock

That, plus what happened to The Storm King at the end (even though the credits tried to lighten it up).

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 5

1 minute ago, A.V. said:

That, plus what happened to The Storm King at the end (even though the credits tried to lighten it up).

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by that too. Full blown death, on-screen no less. 

• Brohoof 1

These aspects didn’t bother me in the least. With a PG rating, I didn’t expect much sugar coating. Anyway, a lot of animated classics have had all of the above. Disney films though often softened the villains’ eventual demise by showing a shadow or silhouette of being killed rather in plain view. 

the only thing that made me uncomfortable is how spike became a flamethrower never gonna see him the same ever again

the rest... didn't really, I think slavery was used when king sombre was in charge of the crystal empire right? and that war between them and equestria in the alternate universe

• Brohoof 1

I felt uncomfortable with how garish the visuals in the opening scenes were and with the sorely misjudged staging of Pinkie's cupcake attack in the climax as if she were psychotically firing off an assault rifle. It was in REALLY poor taste.

No, no I did not, because the show has done dark stuff before. Twilight's Kingdom got pretty dark. There have been other dark moments in the show as well.

Usually, my media watching anxieties kick in quite quickly when watching a film, especially in a cinema... however seeing Pones Film was one of the most enjoyable I've had in recent times. Sure, I facepalmed at the predictable elements of the plot happening after I'd noted them but outside of that, I wasn't uncomfortable at all. I was just lapping it up and having a whale of a time.

I wasn't uncomfortable with those things at all. Plenty of movies and even cartoons on TV have been just as dark before and MLP has been plenty dark itself. As a matter of fact, I really liked those elements. I didn't like what the film did to "We Got the Beat," but that was the only time I was uncomfortable.

Nothing in the movie really made me feel uncomfortable. I mean, horrible things happened to every pony in both the Changelings' takeover and Tirek's rampage across the world. What surprised me, however, was the undeniable depiction of physical violence perpetrated by Tempest Storm, the likes of which I don't think we've seen in the show before.

Being the only adult (not counted the family) and going there alone does not make me feel uncomfortable.  Also it's interesting to hear some back comments from these kids during the movie. 

• 1 month later...

Of course not, the movie was baby stuff compared to what it not only could have been (disappointed, very much, especially with the huge plot holes), but it's very cutesy compared to the animated things I've seen. I wish the movie would have used this opportunity to take bigger risks, especially since they know they have a loyal, established older fanbase. Hasbro is scared. Break away, break away.

• 3 years later...