Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is The Movie A Box-Office Bomb?!?!?!

Harratot33

Just over $50 million worldwide, seriously?!?! Surely the budget must have been higher than that - what if the movie doesn't make a profit!!! As much as I'd love a sequel, it seems kind of unlikely now :(

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Leaks published two months ago included the budget/cost for the movie, which was about $24 million (IIRC), so it made a moderate success.

Not really. In the US week one grosses are ticket sales minus expense of exhibition multiplied by 10%. Or ticket sales multiplied by 30%. Basically the distributor is guaranteed at least 70% of the week one grosses (unless you are Disney and renting out The Last Jedi). 

Week 2 grosses and beyond tend to increasingly work with awarding a larger percentage to the exhibitor, but the theater eats the cost of exhibition. 

Now the distribution company splits with the studio, and in this case the studio and the distributor are not part of the same parent company or affiliated. When all is said and done, major studios see about 45% of the ticket sales. Smaller studios earn less than 40%. So ... let's say they get to keep 40%.

50 * .40 = 20. 

If that budget is correct Hasbro gets 20 Million. The film would have yet to make a profit for Hasbro. Most films don't on initial run, certainly not this film. Money is made in verticals and horizontals. 

• Brohoof 4

Just gonna leave this from another thread asking the same question.

Context is everything. 

No, it hasn't grossed much due to the niche market and limited release, but you also have to account that movies exist to make money, without loosing it preferably.

There are no hard facts on the movie's budget. But it's estimated to be $5 million on the low end and $30 million on the high. Even if the latter ends up being the case, rule of thumb for a movie to be considered a succsess is for it to make back 1.5x it's budget. 

With a $51 million world wide gross, the MLP has done that and more. And that's not counting the ongoing toy and eventual DVD sales.

I would say if Hasbro decided the movie was a failure, then they won't make a sequel. If they decided it was a success, then they will make a sequel, but we won't know that for some time. It's all gonna come down to the DVD and toy sales to truly decide whether it's worth the money or not for Hasbro to make a sequel. Because a sequel to the first movie means the first movie was a success.  

• Brohoof 1

On 12/3/2017 at 4:39 PM, Harratot33 said:

Just over $50 million worldwide, seriously?!?! Surely the budget must have been higher than that - what if the movie doesn't make a profit!!! As much as I'd love a sequel, it seems kind of unlikely now :(

Hard to judge since we don't even know how much was the budget. For what I understand, over 50 million$ is pretty reasonable for an animated film, and with lack of ads it's less cost. If in the worst case scenario turns out to DO have bombed, we have toys, and pony movie merch, where the real ca$h for Ha$bro is in

• Brohoof 1

Context, context. The budget was not super high as far as I've heard, so Hasbro's profit margin was actually fairly wide. That's not to mention that the movie was expected to reach a pretty slim piece of the general population.

In other terms, don't worry too much about Hasbro not making a profit. :)

Yeah it kinda was. But it was fighting a losing battle one could argue from the beginning with poor advertising and product placement, and the unfortunate circumstance of being based on a toyline for little kids which means a ton of people wrote it off without ever giving it a chance. But what really matters is whether you enjoyed it or not?

• 8 months later...

It was way better than that Horrid Teen Titans Go  Movie

when i called my sister on the weekend, she said she had to go they Were ar the Theater to see mlp Movie with her kid.

The Movie was OK however i can't stand cretain parts.. Like

"'Oh this is So Intense'' What the heck  its like they think the audiance is clueless and does not understand a intence scene when they see it, so they have to explain to you the mood.. STUPID QUOTE EVER...