Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do ponies that wear clothes get their tails through them?

Toastypk

Here's another instance of pony practicalty that baffles me.

So you're a pony who prefers to wear clothes, ok cool. Not many do that.

Mind explaining to me how you get your tail through the hole in your clothes?

tailsthroughclothes.png

Look at all these screens. Any time there's a pony who wears clothes, their tail goes through them. If you had a tail and put a coat on, you would have your tail covered by your coat. But putting your tail through your coat is really difficult looking, even if you were a human. Imagine trying to get all those strands through a tiny hole. (and with hooves nonetheless!)

Every time I see this it just looks ultra impractical and really difficult.

How do you clothes wearing ponies do this? It seems like such an extra step!

Even the idea of a Sunburst cosplay or fursuit, you would have to get your tail strands through such a small space. And in that case, at least you would have hands and fine motor skills!

• Brohoof 6

I would just like to express how much I love this topic. :lol: 

We never see these ponies not wearing clothing. Perhaps they shear off their tails, and their clothing actually comes with a false one. Either that, or they summon some sort of eldritch horror with magical tail powers whenever they want to put on said article of clothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think this is why most ponies don't wear clothes. A skilled unicorn might be able to use their magic to thread the tail through the hole. But otherwise... honestly, I think ponies just have somepony do it for them.

Or, in rare cases, you'll find somepony like Trixie who doesn't seem to care about their tail not showing. She occasionally wears a cape that covers it completely.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 2

You've seen AJ with a lasso controlled with her tail. Their tails are closer to a prehensile tail than you might think. :wau:

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, Jeric said:

You've seen AJ with a lasso controlled with her tail. Their tails are closer to a prehensile tail than you might think. :wau:

That's the best answer!

• Brohoof 2

44 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I think this is why most ponies don't wear clothes. A skilled unicorn might be able to use their magic to thread the tail through the hole. But otherwise... honestly, I think ponies just have somepony do it for them.

Or, in rare cases, you'll find somepony like Trixie who doesn't seem to care about their tail not showing. She occasionally wears a cape that covers it completely.

Apple Jewel among many others disprove that notion. 

applejewel_by_negasun-d75oi66.png

If a non-unicorn has no trouble doing his/her hair and wielding tools with their hooves, I doubt that they would have much trouble with clothes. Mind you this also applies to other hooved non-ponies, so I doubt its unique to equines. Case in point Zecora, wielding a cup:

latest?cb=20121208073127

The mistaken assumption here, as with many cases, assuming Equestrian biology, physics and natural laws are similar to ours. They live in a world where time travel exists, winged ponies that otherwise have no business flying can do so, and of course magic. Ponies should not even be able to speak, let alone have high levels of intelligence, if we're going by our world's standards. 

Also cartoon logic, if magic isn't enough for you. Just because screw science. Shrug.png

• Brohoof 1

I mean, in a world where Rarity creates elaborate shadow puppets with hooves, I think getting clothes on is definately one the lesser mysteries of the series.  

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Momento Mori said:

Uhm... it's just the art style. They don't go into detail of the actual mechanics of tails through holes in clothes. I mean, its funny to think about but come on <____< in all reality here, we know what's going on.

Oh I know that, and it's unimportant, it's one of those things in the overthinking it department, but it's something I notice .

• Brohoof 1

Even though the artwork doesn't support this theory, I suppose from a practical standpoint the easiest thing would be to have those frocks split down the back from the hooves up to where the tail has to pop out. Maybe have a button at the bottom so the two sides can be fastened together and not sway enough to get caught in their legs.

Then they'd be able to simply toss the clothing over their backs and it would fall into place, the button being the only difficult thing for ponies without telekinesis to fasten.

• Brohoof 1

The clothes have a hole in them that the ponies stick their tails through, and to get the tail through the hole they just put it into a ponytail (heh, puns) I guess. I mean, I know it's simple, but that's probably my best guess. Maybe they don't even NEED ponytails, and can just put it through anyway.

Very carefully. 

Not entirely joking with that, but my immediate assumption would be that there's some sort of flap or zipper which they then close with the tail outside the clothes. Although, of course, we've seen ponies do some crazy things with their tails, so maybe it's not so difficult after all. 

Of course with some ponies it would be really hard to fit their tail thought a hole in their cloths like Pinkie's try fitting that fluffy thing through a hole Pinkie Pretty much has to wear clothes over her tail it would be to hard to fit her tail through clothes all the cloths I've seen Pinkie wear either go over her tail or don't cover her rear end at all that's why only certain ponies have their tail though the cloths because if you had a tail like Pinkie Pie a hole big enough for Pinkie's tail to go though you might as well leave the rear end uncovered

you_re_such_a_cute_dragon__spike_by_porygon2z-d8djret.thumb.png.e0a4fe97d339613895067b3cbb950df0.png.b446a8cad85a53d17a55151a75b8e0a6.png

Edited by NathanW200

You could easily fit Fluttershy's tail thought a hole in the cloths as you can see Fluttershy's tail is skinny and smooth to easily fit through a hole but with Pinkie's tail so fluffy and fat looking you're better off leaving the rear end uncovered

As you can see the difference 

you_re_such_a_cute_dragon__spike_by_porygon2z-d8djret.thumb.png.e0a4fe97d339613895067b3cbb950df0.png.0b6f531191001fb229c89558beb25b48.png

happy_fluttershy_by_rainbowcrab-d4lm6vt.png

Edited by NathanW200