Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Burned Out on a Hobby of Yours?

The Recherche

2 hours ago, Thuja said:

I have honestly never understood how people can binge-watch a show it sounds too tiring.

Holy crap, someone actually agrees with me!!! I can't stand the idea of binge-watching a show; it's just too much at once, you know? :scoots:

Also I appreciate your outlook of the situation! :squee: A lot of people would just feel down bummed about it, but you actually see it as a growing opportunity!

4 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Holy crap, someone actually agrees with me!!! I can't stand the idea of binge-watching a show; it's just too much at once, you know? :scoots:

Also I appreciate your outlook of the situation! :squee: A lot of people would just feel down bummed about it, but you actually see it as a growing opportunity!

I know, right?!?  When I tried binge-watching this one time, I started to feel completely burned out from the show that I was watching.  Couldn't even stand thinking about it.

Also yeah, therapy tends to help make you think that way lol.  You made me feel like I was "Adulting" pretty hard there for a moment.  How dare you?!? :pout:

• Brohoof 1

I guess I could echo everyone and say video games. :P I didn't exactly burn out on them but it kind of counts. I used to play games a lot but then just stopped as my studies ended up taking so much time and energy. But even later when I've had some boring moments, I've never really started again (though I've thought of it a couple of times), not counting some really simple online games. Probably one reason is that I can imagine myself just getting frustrated, as I was never especially good at games (apart from a few).

I could also mention a lot of cartoons (too many to list). I used to love so many cartoons, especially many of the older Cartoon Network shows. But even though I have good memories of watching them, I have no interest in rewatching any of them, at least right now. Sometimes it's better to just remember things the way they used to be than to try to relive them.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3

I'm one to get burnt out of hobbies often. Sometimes I overdo it so much it gets boring after 2 weeks. :lie: But there are 3 hobbies that I've never stopped loving.

1. Car stuff. Any car stuff. Infact any motorized vehicle. It never gets old I've loved it since I was probably around 6. 

2. Weapons. (Yeah violent I know :okiedokieloki:) I love guns. The history of them and shooting them. This has kind of combined with number 1 as I'm now a huge buff on warbirds, tanks, and warships. 

3. My Little Pony (obviously). Probably dont need to go into detail on this one you all already know. It's kind of weird because it has nothing at all to do with the first 2 but I have a soft side. :bedeyes:

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

Sometimes it's better to just remember things the way they used to be than to try to relive them.

I really, really think modern pop-culture could learn a thing or two from you! :squee: There's just way too much nostalgia infesting it nowadays! :scoots:

2 hours ago, Sliding Bolt said:

2. Weapons. (Yeah violent I know :okiedokieloki:) I love guns. The history of them and shooting them. This has kind of combined with number 1 as I'm now a huge buff on warbirds, tanks, and warships. 

You might like this guy, then! :squee:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

I really, really think modern pop-culture could learn a thing or two from you! :squee: There's just way too much nostalgia infesting it nowadays! :scoots:

You might like this guy, then! :squee:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

I already do and I'm already subscribed! ;) You already know me better than a lot of people.

Edited by Sliding Bolt

Ah now that's a new one! :lol: Thank you very much!

Trust me; if you're interested in World War 1, that's the channel you need to watch! :D

• Brohoof 1

Video Games totally, i cant name the last game i played :wau: i have a bunch of games on my steam account, i just can't get motivated to play and enjoy them as much as i used to and it feels real bad.

• Brohoof 3

8 minutes ago, Tytygigas said:

Video Games totally, i cant name the last game i played :wau: i have a bunch of games on my steam account, i just can't get motivated to play and enjoy them as much as i used to and it feels real bad.

That always happens to me too. @Recherche I see you also got burnt out from games. What I always do is watch videos on the game or the topic of the game. Some highlights and challenges usually get me back into it. But I guess I also play different games than you. 

Edited by Sliding Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

What I always do is watch videos on the game or the topic of the game. Some highlights and challenges usually get me back into it. But I guess I also play different games than you. 

I would do that... but the prospect of watching or getting involved with anything related to video games just... tires me, you know? :scoots:

Thank you very much for the tip, though! :squee:

1 minute ago, Tytygigas said:

same here. i hope i don't sound silly or anything but they just don't feel as fresh or new to me as they used to in a way.

5 minutes ago, Recherche said:

I would do that... but the prospect of watching or getting involved with anything related to video games just... tires me, you know? :scoots:

Thank you very much for the tip, though! :squee:

Yeah I get it. Sometimes it's just time to move on. :D And everything I play is multiplayer and constantly being updated. That helps keep it fresh I guess.

@Recherche

Now, I'm not giving up on video games, due to a nice string of monthly Nintendo Games coming to the Switch over this year.

But after losing my 3 and a half years of progress on Animal Crossing New Leaf from June 2013 to maybe December 2016 and attempting to start a new town 2 times at least, I simply lost interest. Now, that's not to say I hate the game. Just that real life got too busy for me to play and get back what I lost. 

Still, I can say that I've achieved several goals that I couldn't on earlier titles in the franchise, even if they were technically lost when the game data was lost:

Paid off all my debt and make my house as big as possible.

Decorated my home the way I wanted it.

Completed the Museum of Bugs, Fishes, Fossils, and Art Works.

Earn the items from participating in major holidays.

If they ever do make a similar entry for Nintendo Switch and not a spin-off title, I could get back into it. But until then, I'm done with Animal Crossing.

And Pokemon? Last time I cleared the story of one, it was Pokemon White from Gen V 2011. Tried to follow in Gen 6's X and Y, but lost interest before beating Gym 1. Although in Virtual Console of Pokemon Yellow, I did made it to Elite Four. (Something I couldn't do back in its heyday with the original version) Sadly, lost all my game data with the AC data before I even attempted to fight the Elite 4.

So, my interest in Pokemon and Animal Crossing is lost for the moment but it might be re-invigorated in the future. We'll see.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018

I'd have to go with video games as well.  Back in the '90s I was big into FPSes (first-person shooter).  I pretty much had every FPS game that was out there.  During the week I'd spend most of the evening playing and on weekends, it wasn't unusual for me to be up 'til 3-4 in the morning playing.  I wasn't addicted (yeah, I know), I just had the time.  And like you said, for reasons unknown, I just stopped, for several months.  When I started back up, I just wasn't into it like before.  So, it drifted to the wayside and I've never really gone back.  I even have games that I've never installed, still in their original boxes.  One of these days (heh) I'll have to load those puppies up.

• Brohoof 1

I've taken a bit of a back seat on gliding/flying. The main reason is money ATM but I'm a bit limited on what I can do with my flying because of the age of the aircraft. I'm just going to wait until I move in a few months then I might start up flying again at a new club with a more diverse range of aircraft 

• Brohoof 1

I used to be an armchair Imagineer. I loved planning and designing (Disney) theme park attractions and architecture. I was very good at it and accumulated a huge collection of written material, blueprints and artwork. I guess at the time I didn't really know what direction my life was going to take and I thought Imagineering would be the coolest career ever. Over time, as I realized it wasn't going to happen I started thinking there was no point in continuing with something that would never bear fruit. So I stopped. I still like it, but I'm not as obsessive active as I once was.

• Brohoof 1

Video games. I recently got a PS4 (took me long enough), and I bought the PS4 versions of Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, Skyrim and Terraria, as well as Horizon Zero Dawn and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Lately however, I just can't play them. And if I do, I get quite bored, but I just keep on playing the same game, even if I am consciously exhausted of it, if that makes any sense. :huh: Here is my issue:

- Terraria: I used to play it all the time. Now, it feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over again.

- Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition: Oh. My. Gosh. I have overplayed this one. Over 45 hours in only a week of getting it. :wacko:

- Skyrim: I played about an hour of it. Have not touched it since. It's one of those games where it takes me forever to convince myself to play it, but once I do, I LOVE IT.

- Horizon Zero Dawn: Haven't even touched it... :okiedokieloki:

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Same story.

For the two above, I want to play them, but I always put them off. I know that I will enjoy them, but I always convince myself that I won't.

I used to love video games, and if they had any lore behind them, I'd research it as much as I could. Now... It feels as if they are just filler for my day. They kind of are. :/

Edited by Feather Scribbles
  • Brohoof 1

I'll join the club.  Gaming.  I've long since come to recognize that getting burnt out on a hobby and disliking it are two different things.  I love videogames and always will, and it's ok if I spend so much time gaming that I feel like doing something else for a while.  Doing something else for a while is what cures that burnout.  I have trouble with burnout far less often now that I have less free time with which to burn out on my favourite hobby, so there's that.   I confess I get burnt out on MLP sometimes too, but the remedy is still the same.

• Brohoof 3

20 minutes ago, AlbaTross said:

I'll join the club.  Gaming.  I've long since come to recognize that getting burnt out on a hobby and disliking it are two different things.  I love videogames and always will, and it's ok if I spend so much time gaming that I feel like doing something else for a while.  Doing something else for a while is what cures that burnout.  I have trouble with burnout far less often now that I have less free time with which to burn out on my favourite hobby, so there's that.   I confess I get burnt out on MLP sometimes too, but the remedy is still the same.

Any tips for acquiring the motivation to get into a game (or games) for the first time that I have been avoiding to try out for months, but that I know I will enjoy? (I've been playing the same 2 games for the past half-year or so and, as you might imagine, it's getting a bit repetitive.)

Edited by Feather Scribbles
  • Brohoof 1

Holy moly, everyone beat me to gaming. Honestly though, I've actually been getting back more into video games lately (got a PSP not too long ago and love it :D ), so I'm going to go with writing. I can still whip up a story I feel is good, but I've just not been feeling the drive lately since I finished my "magnum opus" story last year. No, I'm not trying to sound like I have a big head. I don't look at myself as some amazing storyteller or anything, I just don't feel I'll be able to put my full heart and soul into a story that will outdo that one. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 2

I'am the same, video games, but I'am really happy about it, because they are kind of a waste of time, and too stressful, sibce I'am bad at them and it frustrates me. Even my parents play more video games, the sometimes try it get me to play with them, but I'am just like "nah, leave me alone with that stuff". Now I can focus much more on my other hobby, which is chemistry. I literally spend thousands of euros on chemicals, so I can do experiments at home, and unlike video games, it's gonna be really useful in my life, so yeah, got getting back to it.

• Brohoof 1