Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Burned Out on a Hobby of Yours?

The Recherche

Unless you literally just sit in one position, thinking about nothing all day, we all have hobbies, and as we all know, our hobbies can evolve and change. :ooh: What interests us as young adults most likely won't interest us when we reach our middle age, the same way that our interest differ from when we were children and now. With all of this said, sometimes we just move on from hobbies, whether it's on a positive or negative note. Unfortunately... we'll be talking about one of the more negative exits here. :pout:

With all of this said... have you ever burned out on a hobby of yours? One day, you were enjoying the hell out of a hobby you were participating in, but the next thing you knew... you just weren't. If anything, you were starting to hate it. :scoots: 

For me, I ended up being burned out on video games to the point where I barely play them anymore. Sure, I might be looking forward to the next Smash game on the Switch... but other than that, I really couldn't care less about gaming as a whole anymore. I don't know why, but not too long after I bought a Nintendo Switch, I just couldn't bring myself to play many of the games. No joke: of the 10 Switch games that I own, I only finished 4 of them. Even worse, of the aforementioned 10, I haven't even played 3 of them; I literally have not touched them yet (except for one, but it barely counts). :blink: So that means that I own 10 Switch games;

• Super Mario Odyssey, which I beat.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which I beat.
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Which I beat.
  • Skyrim, which I barely played.
  • DOOM, which I played a little bit (great game, though; you should check it out).
  • Sonic Forces, which I beat, but didn't like.
  • Bayonetta 1 + 2, which I haven't touched yet.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which I haven't touched yet.
  • Scribblenauts Showdown, which I played for 10 minutes and nearly threw in the garbage.
  • And Pokken Tournament, which I played a little bit.

Oh, and do I need to mention the 50$ that I wasted on a Pro Controller? :scoots:

With my little rant out of the way, have you ever been involved in a hobby so much... and then, over the passage of time, just stopped caring? I'm honestly wondering if anyone else has gone through what I have at this point. :wau:

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 5

Video production and editing is a hobby and my job, yet I can get burnt out incredibly easy. Hell, video games, TV, film, sports and anime all suffer the same fate from time to time. I just need that spark to really get them going again, but how long that takes is difficult to gauge.

• Brohoof 2

@Vocal Analyst I know how you feel, man. As for myself, I'm honestly not sure if I can recover from my burnout. I had been gaming for nearly 4 consecutive years; it's amazing that I lasted that long in the first place without getting sick of it, quite honestly. :blink: Maybe I'll be proven wrong one day, but for the time being, there is no thought in my head that inspires more exhaustion in me than picking up a video game.

@Recherche Maybe it depends on it being the right video game to spur your desire for the medium back into gear. Having a lot of choice doesn't help matters (given the amount of stuff on streaming services I could pick from to watch, I can relate), but if you really focus on a game you really want to play whether it's in your possession or not and sink your teeth into it, it might be the wake-up call you need.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think that my like of video games have gone away completely, just am a lot less interested than I was a year ago. And especially the game Rhythm Heaven, (if anyone even knows what that game is here) I used to wake up morning every day and before I head to school I would just play two quick games, it became part of my routine! :D But now I barely play my games, I still play Mario Odyssey maybe once every two weeks but that's about it. I don't play any PC games or games on other consoles out of Nintendo. :P 

I used to also *ahem* make videos on YouTube, and boy, am I glad that I got out of that! :lie: I still use that account as my main account though and I still haven't got around to deleting my videos on there! 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Wannabrony said:

I used to also *ahem* make videos on YouTube, and boy, am I glad that I got out of that! :lie: I still use that account as my main account though and I still haven't got around to deleting my videos on there! 

Don't make me track down your channel! :umad:

Jokes aside, I've been thinking about getting into YouTube some time soon. :ooh: I'm not quite sure what I would make yet, but the real reason I haven't gotten into it yet is because, well... I'm lazy. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

I have always been a fan of the Pokemon franchise and have always played the core games. However, I recently stopped playing even though I used to play all of the time. I am, by no means, over Pokemon. I am just...taking a break.

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Don't make me track down your channel! :umad:

Jokes aside, I've been thinking about getting into YouTube some time soon. :ooh: I'm not quite sure what I would make yet, but the real reason I haven't gotten into it yet is because, well... I'm lazy. :adorkable:

Same.

It would just be a vlog really. My life is interesting, so I've been told. I don't really do things most would find okay, some of my hobbies you could consider taboo. So I'd talk about that. Wicca, LittleSpace, maybe Pokémon, Anime Let'sWatch, lots of ideas, I guess, but never got around to it *shrug*

I did used to be into stage magic, and I was alright, I guess, but I grew out of it.

Used to play video games. Whether they were fighting games, JRPGs or flight combat games. But once I started school, then work, I had a lot less time for them and never really got back in. 

Drawing was another one. Drew all the time as a kid. But when I got into high school i didn't have the spare time for it. Too focused on getting my work done and recovering from an exhaustive day. Last time I tried to draw, it felt I was holding actual lead instead of the pencil kind. It was a chore to channel my imagination.  

• Brohoof 2

On 4/27/2018 at 8:01 PM, Rain Feather said:

I have always been a fan of the Pokemon franchise and have always played the core games. However, I recently stopped playing even though I used to play all of the time. I am, by no means, over Pokemon. I am just...taking a break.

Ugh, tell me about it! :scoots: While I certainly don't hate the series, I'm honestly finding myself enjoying it less and less as time goes on. :pout: Gen 7 didn't really elevate my feelings on the series (at all...), but I think that Gen 8 might be pretty good. As of right now, I'm cautiously optimistic. :o

I feel like an old man with all you guys talking about being burnt out on video games as your hobby. Now I had a real hobby- building HO scale model trains in my basement. Yep I used to be BIG into trains, so much so that I had an entire table dedicated to my model railroad. I had people, buildings, cars, and of course trains, all in the HO scale models. I didn't really "burn out" so to speak, it was more just the fact that my family moved and I had to dismantle my mega-model railroad that I just never really got around to putting it back together. Someday I hope to get it all set up again, and hopefully expand it and make it even bigger than it was before :ooh:

• Brohoof 3

Playing the Pokemon games on my 3ds. Right before Sun & Moon came out, I played Black and Black 2 right after each other. I tried playing Sun & Moon but I just got bored and I've barely touched my 3ds since then.

• Brohoof 1

I've got three for video games, not good ones either :lol:

Used to play this game called Stickman RPG. It was the most repetitive thing, but being an online game you can't save. You could earn money in the game and you played till you either quit or died. Death could result from a lack of sleep, getting hit by a car, overdosing on alcohol, or walking off of the world. Oh and you could get in bar fights where I think there was a balance of health and stamina I guess, you could potentially lose all of your health before passing out an die that way. There wasn't a whole lot to do in the game except grinding activities. Played for 8 hours straight. Quit with over a million dollars in my bank account.

Another one was Wii Sports. You get better and better but there's this halfway bar I think, and gains after passing that are microscopic so I stopped playing.

The final video game one was this Minecraft skinned FPS. Almost all of the other players were like 10 year olds who didn't really know what they were doing. When you're kill to death ratio is like 100 to 10, it's no longer a competition and you get bored.

The next one counts as a video game as well I guess. I like to rate in Ponytown sometimes but I do it sparingly now. I don't stop till something outside of the game forces me to, or I keep going until there's no one left in line. I'd try to cut the line off but the person I say is last never tells the people behind them and it goes on and on and on!!! I rated for 6 hours once. I don't know how I'm not really well known on that site afterwards considering the huge number of people I've had to interact with.

Finally, I like to make pictures in MS paint sometimes, or edit things. I'm not willing to learn how to use photoshop or other means so I do the tedious task of working pixel by pixel on occasion. Sometimes it's meditative but you can get really sick of it after a while.

• Brohoof 1

I burned out binge playing video games in general; I used to play a lot of Mario games (story or sports), unlocking and beating the levels to completion, but eventually I just lost interest, honestly I don't really like to immerse myself in video games all that much anymore. I'll play Call of Duty and GTA V (sometimes), or maybe a computer game like FNAF, but that's about it.

I was burned out on Star Wars for a while, although watching The Force Awakens really did re-ignite that younger part of me seeing what I hadn't been so exposed to in a while (although I really only collected the starfighters and played some of the games, but that's about it :pout: ).

And I suppose that's it :wacko: . Honestly I was never that big on Star Wars....

• Brohoof 1

Back in High School, I burned out on writing and drawing HARD, to the point I stopped doing it altogether for several years. Since then, though, I've gotten heavily back into writing to the point of wanting to make it my career and I do still draw from time to time.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:01 PM, Rain Feather said:

That was me for most of the fifth and sixth generation, especially after the atrocity that was Omega Ruby. I only really got back into the series thanks to Sun/Moon.  

• Brohoof 1

I think for me, I've kinda burned out on mlp.  I've tried catching up with the latest episodes but I don't really get into the show as much as I used to.  I just stay on here because I don't really have much to do(this i also my way of skipping drawing).  The show itself doesn't seem all that interesting anymore, don't know why maybe it'll come back to me?

• Brohoof 1

@Thuja It's probably just a matter of moving on; we all do it to someone or something at some point in our lives. :pout: This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be kinda unfortunate, especially when a franchise or fanbase does so much for you. 

There is a reason you stuck around, after all. :orly:

@Recherche Could be like playing The Sims for me, I can only really ever enjoy said thing in spurts.  I would like to go back a rewatch the show on Netflix(thank the gods it's available there or else I wouldn't ever be able to watch it!) just to test my theory out, I have honestly never understood how people can binge-watch a show it sounds too tiring.  I've stayed on here because I like it, it's kinda like going to your favourite coffee shop just to have a cup or two and just relax, you know?  I don't view my burn-out as a bad thing though, I was a different person when I first watched the show, change is just a part of life and I'll probably be a different person a couple of years down the line.  Some part of me will change, the only thing I can do about it is to make sure it's a positive change.