Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence

Will Guide
Message added by Jeric

Warning, there will likely be spoilers in the Episode discussion threads so venture in at your own peril. 

Spoiler tags are OPTIONAL! 

Episode Rating  

121 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like or dislike the Episode?

• This episode makes me so angry, my fury could burn a whole forest (HATE IT
    • This episode made me want to let out a brief ring of fiery anger (Dislike it)
    • My Silence makes it hard to say whether I like this episode or not. (MEH)
    • This Episode makes me wanna make rainbows. (Like it)
    • This Episode makes me so happy I could Siiiiing! (LOVE IT)

Some time before the season started, I said I wanted the writers to take on more risks or get more ambitious. In doing this, there's a chance you'll get some very exceptional episodes at the cost of many other episodes being hit or miss at best. And you know what? This did it. This is the kind of episode that makes me willing to endure an entire season of underwhelming episodes. They say to be careful what you wish for but as far as I'm concerned, my wish is officially granted! :-D

I give this episode a 10/10. If there was no story arc this season, I would've been quite content with this being a season finale (a show finale would be pushing it but it's not too far off).

• Brohoof 1

I loved this episode! Its my favorite of the season. My only question and its a nitpick honestly is how Fluttershy figured out the Kirin backstory using only yes or no questions. But I love this episode my favorite having to be the song and Autumn Blaze and it makes me question if Kirin are going to be incorporated into the school now. 

Everything about this episode made me smile and now I'm tempted to draw the Kirin. Then again there isn't a lot of stills to rely on and I have no references so I'll hold back for now but still.

Best episode of Season 8 for me!

Also I don't know if some people had noticed but the changed instrumentation for the Kirin since the origin traces back to Asia. They seem to change it a bit to reflect that. I'm definitely not a composer and can only really since premade songs but did anyone else notice?

Edited by Script Chime
Had more to say
  • Brohoof 1

I just finished watching this episode and I thought it was pretty awesome.

Spoiler

I liked how we get to see another map episode in this season. It was interesting, yet a little strange to see Fluttershy and Applejack going on another map mission together. Usually, we get two different ponies going on a map mission. However, we get two ponies who went on a previous mission in the past. I do like how the map can potentially send the same pair again. It makes me wonder if that will happen again in season 9. It's nice to see that some friendship missions are outside the usual places in Equestria. I was laughing at the crazy conductor/ticket pony was to Applejack and Fluttershy. I don't know why, but his laugh cracked me up. I like the location of where the Kirin live. Their homes looked beautiful and all around I liked how we got backstory of what the Kirin are. It was interesting to see that the Kirin didn't talk and how it was explained by Autumn Blaze. I also like how the Kirin are designed, but it felt as if we didn't know everything about them. I loved the song and it was great to get to know what the Kirin are all about. I was surprised how Fluttershy and Applejack were about to be thrown into the Stream of Silence. I thought they would have to figure out the rest of the problem if they were thrown into the stream by the Kirin. I'm glad that Autumn Blaze was able to save them and talk things out with the other Kirin. I also liked how Fluttershy's kindness and Applejack's honesty really fit and played a part with the Kirin. All in all, I really liked this episode. The comedy was pretty good and I really liked the moral. I really hope we get to see and learn more about the Kirin sometime in the future. :) 

• Brohoof 2

I'm not gonna lie, I find Autumn the best character. I know I've said this before, but I feel like I need to write my heart out about her to really feel satisfied.

Spoiler

So, let me start off by saying when I found out she was just messing around with Applejack by pretending to be under the effects of the Vow of Silence, I knew she was going to be a really great character in the episode. Her design is fantastic, especially the little design of the line at the edges of her hooves to signify the distinction between a Kirin and a pony, and the bridge of her muzzle (and between her eyes) was a perfect design to add on to how natural and mystical she was. It was like a well-done face paint, and I loved every aspect of it. Her cheerful and friendly personality towards Applejack made me feel good, even if Autumn wasn't directly talking to the audience, and the way she tried pronouncing words (or is it pro-nunc-ing? Heh!) was ADORABLE, actually trying to remember how to speak properly, combined with her ranting a bit before stopping herself.

Her song, 'A Kirin's Tale', was so glorious and literal (especially the bit about rhyming with the word 'bread', and referencing 'The Phantom of the Opera', and mentioning leaving a COUCH behind), and I just loved how it told the backstory of the Kirins' Vow of Silence really nicely. It wasn't some unsettling, evil backstory like most of the other stories about villains or certain events in previous episodes were. It was bright and cheerful, even making the Nirik look evil but less threatening in the song, though still dangerous, and gave light and detail to just how bad things got when the Kirin began to argue (though courtesy of Applejack later on, I will say, thanks to her comment on Fluttershy mentioning the Nirik, there it is, straight from the horse's mouth. rimshot).

Alongside noting and liking how the Kirins' horns light up via the arrow patterns on them and not just the entire horn, I also liked the bit about how Autumn realized, on her own (or thanks to Applejack, but I prefer the former, because characters learning special lessons on their own makes them extra special), anger isn't 'about how it's released, but what you do with it'. And it's a good lesson to be teaching so many people, because anger isn't necessarily always bad - sometimes it even solves problems that would otherwise be difficult to solve if you don't express your hate or dislike for something someone doesn't understand that you hate. The bit of Autumn going behind a rock to let out her anger was pretty funny, too. Not only did it remind me of that famous 'Wearing His Merchandise' scene from Hercules (mostly because of the obscured fiery explosion), but it also implied that releasing anger is better done in private to avoid hurting anyone. It also implied that it was easy to make Autumn irritated with the right actions, which is a little intimidating, but overall kind of cute, I won't lie. And lastly, her reprise of 'A Kirin's Tale' was just as lovely as the first time she sang it. 

Now, I know what you're thinking, 'All you really said was she was cute this entire time.' I will admit, it does sound like that. But I haven't gotten to the bit I WANTED to discuss.

Autumn, to me, feels a lot like a character you could not only hang out with and have an overall good time, but she's definitely someone you could teach about different cultures she'd likely be mostly familiar with. (I, for one, really look forward to using her in a roleplay. Just imagine how interested and adorably curious she would be seeing Loyal as a human.)

"Ooh, wow, what are you?! Oh, wait, don't tell me - a deformed dragon?! Uhm, a shaved bear! Nonono, bears don't shave. Or do they? I would know if bears shaved. Would I? No! Maybe! Are you related to anything? Or...hah, that's silly, animals aren't related to animals! Maybe they are related to animals, but I haven't seen anything like you!" She for added curiosity effect, she'd get right up in his face, and he wouldn't even be a little startled (when you live with seven friends and one of them always acts like their blood is Red Bull, you'd get used to it. Also, I tried my best to imagine her first reaction). It would be like Lyra and Pinkie Pie combined. 

Anyway, she seems like someone you could have a blast hanging out with, or even learning more about how their cultures work - or at least, more than A Kirin's Tale taught us - and maybe even making a Kirin friend or two (or three or four. Or....if you're popular enough, an entire village), and contribute a bit to living Kirin life to see how it really is being outside pony civilization. You could admire the views, go exploring in the forest, and make Autumn's exploration a 74th time. You could sit by a fire and listen to other Kirin retell or recreate stories that could either be fiction or nonfiction. You could even see if they celebrate any holidays or special days of their own. There would be SO much to do in one single little village. You'd just have to be careful not to anger any Kirin too much, lest you suffer a first degree burn. But overall, over time, you would possibly start to feel like such majestic and kindhearted mythological creatures could be like your family away from home, as well as their village being your home away from home. Of course, you wouldn't HAVE to stay forever, you could visit for a while from time to time and catch up on good and bad times, even sharing stories of your own adventures.

Just one simple, adorable, cuddly Kirin made me consider all of this (I mean when she practically becomes your next crush, it's no surprise, but still), and makes me wonder - Imagine a life outside the show's parameters where you could see what goes on in the Kirins' lives, and contribute or dedicate yourself among them. Autumn is just one of those super sweet characters that brightens up my life just by being herself; I honestly wish there would be more of her, especially since Rachel Blossom was the PERFECT voice actor for Autumn, and Gregory BonSignore (thank you, @Will Guide, for finding that) was SUCH a brilliant writer for this episode! She makes me smile every time I see a picture of her, and she really makes my mood so much better, similar to when I see Thorax, I automatically begin to grin from ear to ear. She's....she's one of those characters that makes me wish she were real. And not just for the typical 'snuggles, best friends, and hangouts' reasons. Mostly because, well...it'd be really nice to understand each others' cultures, even if I can really only understand hers from what she's able to provide for demonstrations. At least until someone in the future makes a portal to Equestria, I can always have that keen, kind-hearted, kinetic Kirin in my dreams.

Anyway, I've ranted on for long enough. Just wanted to majorly express how I feel about such a sweet little Kirin like Autumn Blaze. If I could, I would most definitely snuggle her, and I'm not afraid to admit it. <3

Edited by Loyal Defender
  • Brohoof 4

Four god-tier eps in a row. Dare I say; season 8 could be my favorite season? Never would've expected that!

"A Kirin Tale" is song of the season for me, and Autumn Blaze...what a character. Absolutely loved her!

• Brohoof 4

This episode will be in my top 5 best episode of season 8 just for Autumn Blaze alone, she is so cute. :catface:She rather sings than tell the tale in some mundane way, she has pony inside her afterall.:muffins: Am I the only one feels bad for that old dude in the train station? The loneliness drained all of his sanity.:blush: His laugh is so creepy and funny that make me chuckle everytime I rewatch that scene. :mlp_yeehaa:Animals saved the day again, this is the second time the animals are useful for Map quest (the first is Hoofield and McColt). The song is just so good for listening and expositions, 'Cause rainbows... Unless you let it rain' is the best line of the episode. I love the Kirins designs, I hope I will see them again.:love:

Another 9/10 episode, amazing. I didn't expect to have that many good episode in a row.:twi:

• Brohoof 1

Guys I just thought of something, since fall is coming I think we should make the 1st day of fall as an official  Autumn Blaze day!!:-D

Spoiler

autumn_blaze_by_digimonlover101-dcl5u8p.

• Brohoof 5

31 minutes ago, TBD said:

Guys I just thought of something, since fall is coming I think we should make the 1st day of fall as an official  Autumn Blaze day!!:-D

Hide contents

autumn_blaze_by_digimonlover101-dcl5u8p.

I'd sign up for that! Count me in!

Well, a friend and I just sadly parted ways after he called the Kirin flat-out weird, and we got into an argument about it, especially since Autumn Blaze is one of the best-designed characters.. You might think it's stupid for me to get angry for him saying that about Autumn Blaze's design. (He didn't mind me showing it to him even if he hadn't seen the episode.) 
But I have my reasons - it's one thing to not prefer someone's style that someone else loves, that's fine. But calling them flat-out weird, to me, actually hurts, after not only writing a special rant about Autumn, but seeing so many positive reviews about the episode.

3 minutes ago, Loyal Defender said:

I'd sign up for that! Count me in!

The more the merrier :mlp_smug:

I could share this idea to the event mods and see what they think..:huh:

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

Is it strange that I've watched this episode 5 times already?  I love the Kirin song and Autumn Blaze is amazing. It was also nice to see Fluttershy showing that she is more assertive when she yelled at Applejack. This episode shows that you don't need a villain to make a story great, just great characters. I hope we get to see more of them.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Twilight Luna said:

Is it strange that I've watched this episode 5 times already?  I love the Kirin song and Autumn Blaze is amazing. It was also nice to see Fluttershy showing that she is more assertive when she yelled at Applejack. This episode shows that you don't need a villain to make a story great, just great characters. I hope we get to see more of them.

True its something that's bugged me about a few fanfics where its got a nice, interesting story and then the big bad villain shows up and feels shoehorned in for no purpose. For example I'm reading if wishes were ponies at the moment (Harry Potter crossover) and we're nearly 200 thousand words in and he's only just getting to hogwarts. However its been enjoyable because the author's showing Harry bonding with the CMC's, getting over his hurt in a loving family and even the initial contact with the humans. There's been an occasional bad guy and we've got a lurking voldemort but 200 thousand words, 45 chapters and you could easily cut it into 3 parts (Harry in Equestria, First contact and now Hogwarts 1st year) with no villain the first two but still a great story.

Did anyone else notice that this episode had a bit of reality in it?

Free speech parallel in a different way. 

They silenced themselves so they would not get offended. Its kinda whats going on in the media now where they want to silence you cause its offensive. 

Very cleaver writing. I also like the pacing of the story.

:)

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Magic_Spark said:

Did anyone else notice that this episode had a bit of reality in it?

Free speech parallel in a different way. 

They silenced themselves so they would not get offended. Its kinda whats going on in the media now where they want to silence you cause its offensive. 

Very cleaver writing. I also like the pacing of the story.

:)

Cleaver writing? I don't recall seeing any knives in the episode. :P

• The title was changed to S08:E23 - Sounds of Silence
  • The topic was unfeatured
  • The topic was unpinned