Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you stop watching if they referenced Onision?

ManaMinori

There have been references to famous celebrities and artists throughout the series- even going as far back as g1. So what if Hasbro decided to throw a parody reference to an internet famous person (for all the wrong reasons), Onision (an internet troll and once famous Youtuber), into My Little Pony? Perhaps as a character named Onion Sun who had a speaking role and interactions with the main characters?

I can see such an inclusion being played for laughs, more than anything. Given his veggie name, he could interact with Spike- a comic book nerd, who might, at some point, jokingly question if he's (Onion Sun) an alien, and make reference to aliens with veggie names (DBZ), like "Sun Tofu" (Son Goku).

Would such a reference/parody annoy anyone enough to drop the series?

• Brohoof 1

I have no idea who this Onision is but judging from the brief description, it's someone I'd rather not know. If such a person were included in the show, I wouldn't really have much of an opinion because again, I'd have no clue as to who they were.

I have been a fan of Onision since his early days. While I am no longer subscribed to his channels, I still find his work entertaining. I would actually appreciate a reference to him.

I do know of Onision and while I'm not a fan of his content, I wouldn't stop watching the show just because of him being referenced. Why stop enjoying a whole series because of something so trivial? 

34 minutes ago, Cash In said:

I do know of Onision and while I'm not a fan of his content, I wouldn't stop watching the show just because of him being referenced. Why stop enjoying a whole series because of something so trivial? 

some people do. Remember the Twilight alicornization crowd? So many jumped off the bandwagon as Twilight was Larson'd

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

some people do. Remember the Twilight alicornization crowd? So many jumped off the bandwagon as Twilight was Larson'd

You're comparing apples and orangutans. Twilight being turned into an alicorn is something that has had an actual effect on the show whilst a mere reference doesn't. 

17 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Who is onison? And thank you @Jeric for making the topic more clear.

YW

And he is a fairly controversial YouTube personality, author, musician who seems to gravitate between satire and trainwreck. 

18 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

A pop culture reference and a character changing element of the show are not in the same ballpark. Not even in the same sport. A fan who stops watching because Twilight was becoming a Princess makes a lot more sense that a fan who flips out because Slender Man or Grumpy Cat made it into the show. 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Jeric said:

YW

And he is a fairly controversial YouTube personality, author, musician who seems to gravitate between satire and trainwreck. 

A pop culture reference and a character changing element of the show are not in the same ballpark. Not even in the same sport. A fan who stops watching because Twilight was becoming a Princess makes a lot more sense that a fan who flips out because Slender Man or Grumpy Cat made it into the show. 

You're right.

For example, Those Link and Charlie Brown ponies were just in the show as a background gag. It's really no big deal.

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

YW

fair enough.

As much as I am not a fan of Onision personally despite sort of liking him as an entertainer when I was younger, to cease watching a show just because of one controversial figure being referenced on it is ridiculous. That's like refusing to ever watch PewDiePie again just for featuring Ben Shapiro in a joke video...oh. People actually did get outraged over that. :maud:Nevertheless, speaking of PewDiePie, he would much more likely be the first Youtube star for the show to reference if it ever did reference internet celebrities for whatever reason. I feel making nods to Youtube personalities would be much more Equestria Girls territory, but either or, I believe they'd reserve jokes like that for more recognizable Youtubers.