Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What generation are you a part of?

JeyWiz

Throughout history, humans experience different events and are brought up in different lifestyles depending on what time period or generation they were born in.

Here is a list of the generations we know:

• The Silent Generation: Born from 1925 to 1945
  • The Baby Boomers: Born from 1946 to 1964
  • Generation X: Born from 1965 to 1980
  • Generation Y a.k.a. Millennials: Born from 1981 to 1996
  • Generation Z a.k.a. Centennials: Born from 1997+

I belong to generation z, as someone born in 2001.

So, which generation do you all belong to? Do you believe in the concept of generations? What did you experience as you grew up and how did that compare and contrast with other people your age?

Edited by JeyWiz
  • Brohoof 4

Generation O! B)

In all seriousness, I'm part of Generation Y (still the term I prefer, for some reason the word "millennial" has always sounded silly to me).

As for believing in the concept, I do think there's some reality to it – people born around the same time tend to have some experiences other generations might not have. But at the same time, it can be a bit artificial. Going by the definitions you listed (sometimes they can be slightly different), I still think a person born in 1996 would have more in common with one born in 1997 than 1981, in spite of the latter being part of the same generation and the former not. :dash:

• Brohoof 4

I'm a Millennial and according to that, I'm just about right in the middle of that generation (1988). I don't really understand this concept of generations. People who were born in 1981 or 1996 are a significant age gap from me. I suppose maybe in 30 years we will feel more similar. lol.

Anyway, after seeing the people born in 2001 post in here, I'm having to process the idea that people born in 2001 can now be 18 and... Wow. These years are flying by.

• Brohoof 2

I'm generation Y

Some have told me that I feel more like between Y and X and I would agree because I live in Mexico and we used to get things from 2 years to 8 years later than everyone else, like computers and videogames and other services, and also because I normally spend my time with people older than me.

I’m a part of Generation Y, although where I live the specific slice of my generation (those who were teens in 00s) is sometimes referred to as “bring-me-back-my-2007 generation”. As for the concept itself, I think it can be used to vaguely outline the cultural influences that certain groups of people were exposed to, but generalizing things based only on the time people were born often leads nowhere. 

3 minutes ago, Oleks said:

I’m a part of Generation Y, although where I live the specific slice of my generation (those who were teens in 00s) is sometimes referred to as “bring-me-back-my-2007 generation”. As for the concept itself, I think it can be used to vaguely outline the cultural influences that certain groups of people were exposed to, but generalizing things based only on the time people were born often leads nowhere. 

Yeah, a lot of Millennials describe themselves as "90s kids", but actually the bulk of my nostalgia is from the early to mid 00s, when I was a teenager.

• Brohoof 2

I would be considered a part of Generation Z. The concept of generations is something that really doesn't mean much to me and just feels contrived, if anything.

• Brohoof 2

Being born in 1990, I've easily fall into the Gen Y Millennials. The 90s were my Childhood with the Disney Renaissance Age of Animation and the '00s were my teenage years with Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network shows.

I don't like those who think ALL millennials are lazy self- entitled jerks. It's wrong to assume everyone of a certain group is like the stereotype when the reality is there are likely more exceptions than the rule to the stereotype

I was born in 1999, so that makes me gen z I suppose.

The biggest thing people from each generation have in common is that they love complaining about the newer generation :P 

I wonder how gen z will complain about... gen aa? gen alpha? I don’t know what’s next :wacko: 

• Brohoof 2

I was born in 1989 so Generation Y, though I'm not particularly a fan of Millennials generally as a generation and don't like to be associated as part of the group.

Edited by Nightmare Cloud

2 minutes ago, BroomsNHops said:

Generation Y, I tend to mind my own business though, rather just be left alone really

What do you mean by be left alone? I fail to see what that has to do with generations? You probably mean you don't involve yourself in different generations, or in the debate of what generation is the best? Well I am confused.

40 minutes ago, SparklingCaps said:

I was born in 1999, so that makes me gen z I suppose.

The biggest thing people from each generation have in common is that they love complaining about the newer generation :P 

I wonder how gen z will complain about... gen aa? gen alpha? I don’t know what’s next :wacko: 

You are 4 years younger than me O.O!

Being a Gen Y aka Millennial myself being born in 1995. I don't blame other generations for complaining about it. Then again all generations have their good eggs and their bad eggs.

• Brohoof 1

Generation Y

Generations can't be divided up by an arbitrary number of years. The Baby Boomers make sense because they're the result of people returning and recovering from WW2. The majority of generations should have their starting and end dates with the turning of decades for consistency. The options provided make no sense, as do many of the alternative definitions that can be found online.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Splashee said:

What do you mean by be left alone? I fail to see what that has to do with generations? You probably mean you don't involve yourself in different generations, or in the debate of what generation is the best? Well I am confused.

It's more in I simply don't bother with the whole which is best conversation or who has it worse deal.  I guess it was simply me not paying attention to what I was putting down.

• Brohoof 1