Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

food Will you eat food after it fell on the floor?

Muffinnz

Will you eat food after it fell on the floor?  

32 users have voted

1. 1. Will you eat food after it fell on the floor?

• Yes
    • No

Absolutely not! That is disgusting no matter what fraction of time its been on the floor. I wouldn't even touch it if it fell on a clean table. 

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 2

About 15 minutes ago I was talking to my mom while she was pouring cereal, specifically Frosted Mini Spooners, the off brand of Frosted Mini Wheats, from the box into a mason jar, (she's on a fancy packaging thing) and one of them fell to the floor. I picked it up, gave it a blow, and popped it into my mouth.

I don't just eat anything I drop, only dry foods that will pick up minimal dirt, and also it depends on the surface. We spent 2 hours cleaning our floors yesterday, so they're arguably very clean, but we also have 4 cats here who hop up on the counters, so yeah.

One justification I'll offer is that we don't wash our hands before eating something from a vending machine, and who knows how many hands have touched those buttons.

Now, definitely not. That's disgusting.

As a kid, though, I'd eat just about anything. I think I even ate a slice of pizza that fell on the cafeteria floor when I was in elementary school :eww:

Edited by Booker

I will not even question it. I am the opposite of the original poster's opinion! 

Just so long as you don't SEE anything stuck onto it or any other problem, then its fine! If its got germs, then that's what the tonsils are fer! Halibut! I've even gotten in trouble for eating food off the cafeteria floor at school! (They were Skittles [at the time anyway] and a very proper religious private school) 

You could drop half-melted ice cream on the floor and I'd be willing to just eat the part that ain't touchin' the floor! My sister has had to talk me out of eating food right out of the garbage because it still "looked good" and was sitting neatly ontop of a clean napkin or wrapper!

Waste is a terrible thing!

Depends on the food and the floor. If the food is completely dry (a cookie for example) and the floor looks clean then maybe if I pick it up immediately after it falls.

Some of the other stuff, like a vegetable, can just be washed...

no way, the second that food has touched the floor it's cursed. I ain't risking my health for some food.

1 hour ago, Widdershins said:

I will not even question it. I am the opposite of the original poster's opinion! 

Just so long as you don't SEE anything stuck onto it or any other problem, then its fine! If its got germs, then that's what the tonsils are fer! Halibut! I've even gotten in trouble for eating food off the cafeteria floor at school! (They were Skittles [at the time anyway] and a very proper religious private school) 

You could drop half-melted ice cream on the floor and I'd be willing to just eat the part that ain't touchin' the floor! My sister has had to talk me out of eating food right out of the garbage because it still "looked good" and was sitting neatly ontop of a clean napkin or wrapper!

Waste is a terrible thing!

i-

this entire post makes me squeamish 

11 minutes ago, mini said:

no way, the second that food has touched the floor it's cursed.

But you can wash a vegetable, right? I mean, they come from outside and need to be washed.

When I was a kid, we used to just shake the apple tree, some apples fall down, you pick it up, wipe it on a piece of clothing (like a T-shirt) and just eat it. Of course, if the ground is muddy and there is mud on the apple, then it needs to be washed.

Depends on the food, depends on the floor.

If the food is something damp or porous, definitely not. Anything wet or sticky will pick up EVERY germ.

But like, an M&M? With it’s hard candy shell? Sure. Just dust it off.

But then again, if we were in, say... the warehouse I work at? Which rarely gets swept and has a million dusty, oily work boots walk through it? NO. Not even with an M&M.

It really depends on what fell on the floor, if it was a chocolate chip or something hard. I'd probably eat it...  If it was something liquidy, I'd probably just clean it up and throw it out.  I voted yes anyways.

Sometimes I will, as long as it hasn't been on the floor awhile and as long as the floor isn't too dirty. I won't eat it after it fell on the floor in a restaurant, cafeteria, or break room though, as those floors aren't clean and I'd probably get sick from doing it.

I’m a germophobe of long standing so I don’t want to eat anything off a surface touched by shoes that have walked in public restrooms and such. But I also hate waste, so if it’s something I can just wash off in the sink, I’ll close my eyes, think of England and down the hatch it goes.  

• Brohoof 1

What's with all of these hygiene discussions all of a sudden? I'm not complaining, it's just a little out of nowhere.:D

As for the question, no, I don't eat food after it falls on the floor. I live in a household of anywhere from 4 to 6 people, and therefore the thought of doing so kind of disgusts me. And I don't know if the "five-second rule" has any truth to it or not, but I'm too scientifically ignorant to bother finding out right now.:rarity:

• 1 year later...

I personally don't think I would eat the food that fell down on the floor because I am a pretentious person and even if I know that I clean regularly and my floor is clean, I would not eat anything that fell on it anyway.