Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who's voice do you hear when you read?

Krystal

No specific voice.

But when it comes to a book, in what I imagine the characters sound like.

(please change the title, its really misleading)

For books, I just imagine the characters actually talking, even though usually I have no idea what they sound like.

(edited)

Nothing really. When i'm reading normal books I hear some sort of darker and better version of my voice but when I read pony fanfics i hear micthemic's haunting voice.. On forums etc. twilight sparkle voice for girls and standard male voice for guys.. Yea something like that

Edited by P0PPL3S04R

On forums and discussions, I give everybody their own voice, When I'm reading anything else, I give the characters and nararators their own voices as well.

(edited)

When you read text off the internet do you hear a voice in your head reading it to you? If so who's?

I hear my own, but my voice isn't as deep in my mind for some reason.

Edited by SageWise

It depends. Usually it's just that inner voice, but if it's been written by someone who's voice I know from videos I might read it in their voice. Not with friends though, for some strange reason.

Alternately, If I've been listening to the same distinct voice for quite a while I might just hear anything I read in that voice for a bit.

• 11 months later...

Well it will depend on where the origin of the words are coming from. If it is a german "talking", than I will read it in a german accent, same with all different nationalities. Though if it is unlisted, such as reading research, than it will be of my own.

(edited)

Usually, it it either my own voice, or the voice I assign to whichever person it is that made the post, like most people do.

With a book, I'll basically do the same thing.

Edited by Callisto

(edited)

It depends on who is talking. Certain people I know on forum sites have "assigned" voices that are unique to only them. People with avatars containing characters like Fluttershy, or someone else I know will have their voice. And OC's are given voices from characters I like that might fit their vocal role. Or if you act like "x" character I will give you their voice.

I never use my own voice because that makes it less fun xD. 

Edited by Hayze

I always read any text in my own voice. An exception would be someone who I have heard before, in that case I use their voice.

Although anyone I've met in a call isn't very active here.

Depends what I'm reading. If I'm talking to someone online or browsing stuff, I usually don't subvocalize. However, I do put on voices when I'm reading a book. I feel like subvocalizing gives you a better sense of the narrative, so that's why. I'll usually imagine some random voice that I feel fits the character speaking. I'll also do voices when I'm reading a fanfiction. For example, if I'm reading a Fluttershy centric fanfic I'll do a Fluttershy voice in my head for her speaking lines. I've heard the Mane 6 speak so many times from watching the show to the point where I can recreate the way they sound with perfect precision in my mind.

As much as I would love to say Morgan Freeman, I really only hear my own voice. But technically, it's not my real voice because everyone hears themselves differently in their own head. You could probably sit in a corner for quite a while pondering that idea. Hm...