Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

*SPOILERS FOR SEASON 3!* Speculations on the Crystal Kingdom.

Magic Man

(edited)

I've thinking about this upcoming Crystal Pony episode, and the Crystal Kingdom itself. There are a few questions that have popped up regarding it.

*Are they a different breed of pony? Or are they all kinds of pony who are just called Crystal ponies because they herald from the Crystal Kingdom?

*Is the Crystal Kingdom a part of Equestria/is it under Equestria's control? Or is it a sovereign nation with shared or similar culture to Equestria? (Somewhat like how Austria is to Germany, how Portugal is to Spain, though that may be ignorant of me to claim)

*What is Cadence's relationship to the Crystal Ponies? Does she run the Crystal Kingdom? Is she a Crystal pony herself?

*What is wrong with the Crystal ponies? Is it that crystals and gems have become so common that it makes them feel kind of reduntant, or that crystals are the backbone of their economy and them being so common is resulting hyperdeflation?

P.s. Sorry for not writing the spoiler alert initially. My bad.

Edited by Wormtail96
Adding a Spoilers warning, simply because this contains information on Season 3 that some users may not want to read until it's time to watch the episode.

The "Candance being a crystal pony" thing sounds like a good thought. Her cutie mark is a crystal heart, after all.

As for the rest... Let's wait until Season 3 to find out.

• Brohoof 2

I agree with Nightfall's latter statement, we literally have no idea what they are, except some of their traditions and that they go way back, and Cadance has some relation with them.

Whatever it is, it sounds like its going to be a pretty cool episode.

• Brohoof 1

I think that there is an underground kingdom in a vast cavern, possibly connected to the cave Cadence was trapped in. The kingdom is dying somehow, and Cadence and the Mane 6 are trying to help it thrive again. There was something mentioned about helping the crystal ponies remember their history before Cadence's spell wears off. I'm guessing the crystal ponies are forgetting who and what they are.

(edited)

I've heard alot of talk about this from various sources, but the stories are so conflicting that it's impossible right now to determine what parts (if any) are true and what parts aren't. So I'll just tell you all of it. As usual, take it with a grain of salt unless any of it is confirmed.

Some people were saying this might be a new Kingdom that turns out to be a new ally (possibly hinting at a seventh pony joining the mane 6 and being from the Kingdom, which seems to be one of the most popular rumors of Season 3). Some were saying that this 'Crystal Empire' is likely an enemy that's in line with the Changeling Empire, or that it's possibly the actual name of the Changeling Empire (which does make sense in a way).

Then there are some more out-there rumors, like one of my favorites (and one that was mentioned in a chat log), where the 'empire' might be an advanced civilzation with a modern, or perhaps even futuristic technology level (which if the rumors are true, and this civilization is old as time itself, wouldn't be surprising). If this one turned out to be true, then it could end up being the way into the 'Magic versus Technology' issue that Hasbro staff members were discussing behind the scenes way back in the beginning of season 2. The problem here is I don't know how they'd be able to resolve this kind of plot in two episodes, but I could definitely see scenarios within this kind of plot in FiM (like maybe some of the mane 6 being tempted with technology that makes their lives easier).

Edited by SBaby

I've heard alot of talk about this from various sources, but the stories are so conflicting that it's impossible right now to determine what parts (if any) are true and what parts aren't. So I'll just tell you all of it. As usual, take it with a grain of salt unless any of it is confirmed.

Some people were saying this might be a new Kingdom that turns out to be a new ally (possibly hinting at a seventh pony joining the mane 6 and being from the Kingdom, which seems to be one of the most popular rumors of Season 3). Some were saying that this 'Crystal Empire' is likely an enemy that's in line with the Changeling Empire, or that it's possibly the actual name of the Changeling Empire (which does make sense in a way).

Then there are some more out-there rumors, like one of my favorites (and one that was mentioned in a chat log), where the 'empire' might be an advanced civilzation with a modern, or perhaps even futuristic technology level (which if the rumors are true, and this civilization is old as time itself, wouldn't be surprising). If this one turned out to be true, then it could end up being the way into the 'Magic versus Technology' issue that Hasbro staff members were discussing behind the scenes way back in the beginning of season 2. The problem here is I don't know how they'd be able to resolve this kind of plot in two episodes, but I could definitely see scenarios within this kind of plot in FiM (like maybe some of the mane 6 being tempted with technology that makes their lives easier).

I gotta ask, when did this term Crystal Empire come up?

Changeling Empire? I dunno, I mean, their leader is a Queen, so I'd see it more like a Changeling Kingdom.

I do like the idea Magic vs Technology. That sounds promising.

Hey, maybe the whole Empire thing results from the Changelings taking it over and turning it into a colony, thus enabling Crysalis to dub herself 'Empress'.

I haven't read any of the rumors/spoilers outside of this thread.

I'm betting this is a Hasbo influence. They may be looking to sell clear plastic ponies, tinted in different colors.

Ok, i'm cynical. But thats my theory.

That said. I'm guessing then crystal kingdom will have a Crystal Princess who goes dark and evil. The mane six will need to find her crystalline heart to restore her goodness. They will be beset by her lizard man minions. Getting her heart is easy. the hard part will be healing the Dark Crystal.

(edited)

I saw the term somewhere on Equestria Daily.

Just keep in mind that everything in my post is rumors I've heard. I'm just posting the ones that I think might have a remote chance of being true. They could all turn out to be false.

Edited by SBaby

My totally random speculative guess is that the crystal ponies are responsible for the magic of Equestria and without them, magic would disappear. They're dying out or just don't care anymore so its up to the girls to revive them and help them regain their sense of purpose.

• Brohoof 2

Is it weird that I'm more looking forward to see Cadance's parents are?

No, because I'm honestly more interested in that too.

(edited)

My guess? The Crystal Ponies live in an almost forgotten realm of Equestria. They are fading from pony memory, and as that happens, they are diminishing into obscurity and oblivion. Princess Cadence is desperately trying to sustain them with her magic, but it's only a temporary respite as she weakens. The main six must act! Using the Crystal Fair, they must educate pony kind about the lives and traditions of the Crystal Ponies before it's too late. Only the support of all the ponies in Canterlot, Ponyville, and the rest of Equestria will bring the Crystal Ponies solidly back into reality, and prevent their vanishing from dragging Princess Cadence with them!

I may be 100% wrong, but I think my idea would make a heck of a two-part season opener!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Here's an idea.

The Crystal Ponies are a race of ponies that predate even the alicorns, and are the ones initial responsible for the creation of the elements of harmony, thousands of years ago, using their trademark gem magic.

• Brohoof 2

Well apparently they need to be saved with their history, and Cadance's magic 'not lasting forever' apparently has something to do with them, so I guess the Mane 6 have to put on the Crystal Fair to save them before Cadance's magic stops protecting them from something.

perhaps from the possible new villain? :huh:

Crossovers with Paper Mario's Crystal King abound.

Posted Image

I remember him, he was a pain in the ass. :blink:

I'm most curious about Emerald Ray, the colt that will come in the upcoming Target seven-pack. Is he going to be an actual character, or is he just a toy?

I'm actually kind of redundant about the Crystal Kingdom... because, well, yeah... everytime I have to think about this:

Posted Image

Once of the reasons why I don't like the second song (save the Crystal Kingdom). But I'm pretty sure it will be better when the actual episode is released. :)

Changeling Empire? I dunno, I mean, their leader is a Queen, so I'd see it more like a Changeling Kingdom.

I do like the idea Magic vs Technology. That sounds promising.

Hey, maybe the whole Empire thing results from the Changelings taking it over and turning it into a colony, thus enabling Crysalis to dub herself 'Empress'.

Just going to say, I think the term originated from one of the two leaked songs at BronyCon... one involving the Many Six preparing some kind of festival to save the crystal ponies... No idea how a festival would do that, but yeah...

• Brohoof 2

well in the "crystal ponies history book" It looks like the crystal ponies aren't made of crystal xD. I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of the crystal ponies losing their old heritage and Princess Cadence will lose her magic if the tradition is gone forever. So she asks for twilight's help to bring back the old ways of the crystal ponies. But thats my idea on it

We got some examples in the song, but I do wonder what human culture the Crystal ponies draw from? Here's how I see the basic comparisons:

Equestria: A Pic'n'mix of Western Europe and the Americas

Griffin Kingdom: Germany

Changeling Kingdom: Russia

When I think of the Crystal ponies, I keep imagining their old culture to be something along the lines of old France, from the times of the kings like Louis XIV to Napoleon. I imagine their king even as a short Napoleon caricature, his size being something Pinkie Pie continously has to have her mouth physically shut over, in case she ends up saying something everypony will seriously regret.

So yeah, my take it France. What about you guys?

Just look at it like this....

Equestria is not a kingdom.. it is the main land mass of their earth

Equestrian Ponies: Latin-Based Society that has a written language similar to russian.

There is no griffin kingdom, just griffins in equestria

Changelings: We don't know very much about them.

Crystal ponies: They are apart of equestria but seperated from all other ponies I am assuming....