Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Being a Brony Changed Your Life? How?

jacibobsthebrony

203 users have voted

1. 1. Has becoming a Brony changed your life?

• Yes
    • No

Hello!

Well, i must say that i have really become a more "accepting" Person. A more friendly person, maybe it even helped me get on my studies... It has effected me quite alot, at first it made me a little depressed, but then later, it really helped me. I had all sorts of feelings before i even knew what mlp is, but now, they're different, and stuff that i care about, really means alot to me.

• Brohoof 4

Firstly, I'm happy to finally be a part of something bigger than myself. I feel like I've found a second family. It feels good to belong, no? Yes, it does wonders for confidence to know such an amazing community has your back, and I've got your back. We're all in this together. It's why I always carry something MLP related around, as a reminder of the amazing community I am a part of.

Not to mention being in such a musical community has sparked an interest in music that I've never realized before. Something about the Brony music community is so...inspiring. I've been in fandoms before with a strong fan music community, but never before have I been driven to pursue music myself. I'll probably be starting guitar lessons this semester, something I never would've done if it weren't for the likes of people like AcousticBrony and Mandopony.

Plus being a Brony has gotten me drawing again.

Edited by StratoPegasus
  • Brohoof 3

You know, as much as I like saying that I was completely unaffected by the whole brony thing I actually have been affected significantly. Probably the most significant of it would be that I am much more accepting of others now, and by that I mean I really don't care what weird things people would like. Before the whole brony thing if somebody came up to me and said that they like my little pony I would be all like euuuuggghhhh where as now someone could come up to me and say that they write fanfics of Zoids and Barbie crossovers and I wouldn't care at all.

Another thing it has made me do is go back and apologize to people. I used to be a very screwed up kid in high school, and would go out of my way not to just bully other kids but seriously try and ruin the lives of just about anyone who existed. I don't want to get into the sick things I did but uh, some old alcoholic who I started living with essentially made me stop but it wasn't until the whole brony community thing came along that I actually began to regret what I've done and went out of my way to apologize to anyone who I could remember. I'm surprised that it took some internet communities to help me realize this, but better that than nothing.

Also although there are a number of factors regarding this one, I've stopped being near as obscene with my vocabulary. The big thing with the brony community is that there are without a doubt going to be kids involved and I kind of don't want them to see what ever sick things I said before. It's also just gross in general. I've been working on it, but sometimes things slip up in my wacky mind and yeah (anyone who's in the skype chat might be aware of this)

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 3

I have a really easy going attitude now. Like really. For about a year I stopped caring about image.

I believe someone told me I was a lesbian, to which I replied: "I can be with Trixie then? :D ".

• Brohoof 1

I have a really easy going attitude now. Like really. For about a year I stopped caring about image.

I believe someone told me I was a lesbian, to which I replied: "I can be with Trixie then? :D ".

You would! xD I can agree with not caring about image part. I was always shy about wearing my cloths or even talking about MLP in public. 

As for you being lesbian for Trixie... XD Legit, but you forgot my lovins. :B

• Brohoof 1

You would! xD I can agree with not caring about image part. I was always shy about wearing my cloths or even talking about MLP in public. 

As for you being lesbian for Trixie... XD Legit, but you forgot my lovins. :B

You should see my locker. Also had to play a song with a moral in it, played Magic. >8)

These syories are awesome guys! I can relste to all of them. :P

I would just like to say that to put into perspective what this show has done to change my life, I have to make some points about my life before the show. It ain't happy, but I've done my best to just sum up the main things without making it too upsetting to read. However, if you don't want to be upset by my story, or if you just don't care enough to read it (I don't blame you), then please feel free to skip the next paragraph to get onto the happy life changing event of MLP.

Long story short, I was (and still am in a few ways) rather feminine for a heterosexual male. I got bullied a lot in school because of it, and when I moved to an all boys school, I was picked on so badly that a good day was me being about to run out of school before I was injured severely enough to be taken to hospital. I was bullied so badly at one point that I ended up losing the ability to speak due to shock which required 9 months of therapy. Due to this, I've never been able to truly get close to people. It's why I'm nervous in social situations and it's why I suffer from depression. The only long lasting relationship I had was an online one that eventually became emotionally abusive. Needless to say, I have problems getting too close to people now. Not that it's a problem these days as I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a neurological condition that causes, amongst other things, severe widespread chronic pain and chronic fatigue. I already had a lot of emotional barriers put up from all the other things in my life, but that was the final straw. I resigned myself to a life of being alone. After all, who'd want to be around an emotionally scarred cripple? 

Then I discovered this show. I watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed it, it actually made me smile, something that very rarely ever happens. And the more I watched the show, the more I fell in love with it. I already knew about the fandom when I was watching it, but when I started seeing how caring the community as a whole is, I realised what a mistake I had made putting up my emotional barriers and shunning people from my life. It made me realise that there are so many amazing, friendly people in the world and that I would be doing myself a major disservice by ignoring them. I'm not as depressed, bitter or lonely as I was before the show. I feel that even though I'll never be able to live a normal life due to my Fibromyalgia, I have a chance of a happy life. I have the chance to be around such amazing people such as everyone here on this forum. Long story short, the show and the community have renewed my faith in humanity. 

• Brohoof 3

I would just like to say that to put into perspective what this show has done to change my life, I have to make some points about my life before the show. It ain't happy, but I've done my best to just sum up the main things without making it too upsetting to read. However, if you don't want to be upset by my story, or if you just don't care enough to read it (I don't blame you), then please feel free to skip the next paragraph to get onto the happy life changing event of MLP.

Long story short, I was (and still am in a few ways) rather feminine for a heterosexual male. I got bullied a lot in school because of it, and when I moved to an all boys school, I was picked on so badly that a good day was me being about to run out of school before I was injured severely enough to be taken to hospital. I was bullied so badly at one point that I ended up losing the ability to speak due to shock which required 9 months of therapy. Due to this, I've never been able to truly get close to people. It's why I'm nervous in social situations and it's why I suffer from depression. The only long lasting relationship I had was an online one that eventually became emotionally abusive. Needless to say, I have problems getting too close to people now. Not that it's a problem these days as I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a neurological condition that causes, amongst other things, severe widespread chronic pain and chronic fatigue. I already had a lot of emotional barriers put up from all the other things in my life, but that was the final straw. I resigned myself to a life of being alone. After all, who'd want to be around an emotionally scarred cripple? 

Then I discovered this show. I watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed it, it actually made me smile, something that very rarely ever happens. And the more I watched the show, the more I fell in love with it. I already knew about the fandom when I was watching it, but when I started seeing how caring the community as a whole is, I realised what a mistake I had made putting up my emotional barriers and shunning people from my life. It made me realise that there are so many amazing, friendly people in the world and that I would be doing myself a major disservice by ignoring them. I'm not as depressed, bitter or lonely as I was before the show. I feel that even though I'll never be able to live a normal life due to my Fibromyalgia, I have a chance of a happy life. I have the chance to be around such amazing people such as everyone here on this forum. Long story short, the show and the community have renewed my faith in humanity. 

I can really understand your depression with people bullying you. I know when I was in a private all girl school, they shunned me for being a tom girl & anime fan. They told me I was too immature and they didn't understand why I didn't like the things they were into. I wouldn't understand dealing with Fibromyalgia, It must be really difficult. As much as I don't like talking to people in public or dealing with the issues of others that are just plain... well, annoying. I can say it must have been really tough for you. I'm glad to read a story like this, because I know that MLP & possibly it's fandom helped you smile and have the chance to have friends.

I just hope from now on you'll have more happy days instead of depressive ones. If that ever happens, just come here, or watch some episodes! (\^ 3^/)

• Brohoof 1

I can really understand your depression with people bullying you. I know when I was in a private all girl school, they shunned me for being a tom girl & anime fan. They told me I was too immature and they didn't understand why I didn't like the things they were into. I wouldn't understand dealing with Fibromyalgia, It must be really difficult. As much as I don't like talking to people in public or dealing with the issues of others that are just plain... well, annoying. I can say it must have been really tough for you. I'm glad to read a story like this, because I know that MLP & possibly it's fandom helped you smile and have the chance to have friends.

I just hope from now on you'll have more happy days instead of depressive ones. If that ever happens, just come here, or watch some episodes! (\^ 3^/)

I think the best thing about the show and the community is that it allows people like us, those who suffer(ed) from bullying, those of us who are different to the social norm to realise that we should be proud of who we are and that there are always people in the world who'll accept us for who we are. Fibromyalgia is hard to cope with, getting out of bed in the morning is an achievement and it's hard to get out into the world when you're reliant on crutches or a wheelchair to get around. But I can cope with that now because the world can never be doom and gloom when there are ponies. :P

Thank you for your kindness, and I'm glad that the show and fandom have helped improve your life as well. I'd also like to thank you for starting this thread and giving me the opportunity to open up. :)

• Brohoof 1

I think the best thing about the show and the community is that it allows people like us, those who suffer(ed) from bullying, those of us who are different to the social norm to realise that we should be proud of who we are and that there are always people in the world who'll accept us for who we are. Fibromyalgia is hard to cope with, getting out of bed in the morning is an achievement and it's hard to get out into the world when you're reliant on crutches or a wheelchair to get around. But I can cope with that now because the world can never be doom and gloom when there are ponies. :P

Thank you for your kindness, and I'm glad that the show and fandom have helped improve your life as well. I'd also like to thank you for starting this thread and giving me the opportunity to open up. :)

You're welcome, It took me a while to think of something that everypony would enjoy. It really makes me feel good when I can type from the heart. I have to be honest though, getting out of bed is an achievement... [is VERY lazy] I used to always be depressed that I wasn't getting anywhere with my life until well... ponies. :3 I got a job, getting an education and I'm making friends along the way. It took me a long while to get used to the fandom honestly. I wasn't so fond of getting literally hugged every three seconds in "Everypony" chat. I've come to accept it, and I love the fanbase. You're always more than welcome to open up! I'm sure everypony would give you some comfort about your daily problems. It's not always easy being yourself! 

• Brohoof 1

I used to be a wise guy, and as you can see that never changed. But what did change is that I try to be a nicer person. In my younger years I used to be self-contained. I would never talk and I'd just do what I was told. I don't regret that because that's the only reason I turned out so intelligent, I spent all my time reading and writing instead of making friends with others. 

But making friends is definitely worth it and I tried a lot harder to be social after I became a brony.

First and foremost it has helped me with coping with depression.

I've become more artistic and outgoing since discovering the brony community, I've taken up drawing despite being rather bad at it XD

I also seem to have more confidence than before, something about being part of a larger community that accepts everyone for who they are has inspired me to be more comfortable with who i am, i no longer leave the house wearing a facade, i even went browsing for pony toys in Toys R Us the other day, although they don't have any decent ones, i got strange looks when taking this picture of the entrance:

attachicon.gifPhoto 06-12-2012 01 04 37 PM.jpg

The strange looks may have had less to do with the fact the entrance has ponies on it than it does that you were taking photos of the building's exterior. Maybe they thought you were planning to rob the place.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly the effect the show had on me was rather weak. I didn't really learn much new from the lessons in the show, but they were not in vain either - I got reminded of some quite serious aspects of those lessons which I had forgotten or didn't care too much about.

Rather how I moved in the fandom has affected me very much. I learned to never put too much effort and time into something on the internet if you are not having fun by doing so - as the people who see your work might misinterpret it and you end up with hate upon you for all the hard work you've done.

Anyway - at the end all became better than before and I am quite sure as far as real life relationships go it's a funny aspect of me that I like MLP and most people are very surprised at this as I do not look like someone who would be a fan of colorful ponies.

• Brohoof 1

You're welcome, It took me a while to think of something that everypony would enjoy. It really makes me feel good when I can type from the heart. I have to be honest though, getting out of bed is an achievement... [is VERY lazy] I used to always be depressed that I wasn't getting anywhere with my life until well... ponies. :3 I got a job, getting an education and I'm making friends along the way. It took me a long while to get used to the fandom honestly. I wasn't so fond of getting literally hugged every three seconds in "Everypony" chat. I've come to accept it, and I love the fanbase. You're always more than welcome to open up! I'm sure everypony would give you some comfort about your daily problems. It's not always easy being yourself! 

Don't worry, I'm lazy too, so there's that. :P I'm glad you're able to improve your life in such a huge way, especially considering that it was due to colourful ponies. I'm still easing my way into the fandom, I haven't been in any proper chat rooms yet but that's mostly due to me being nervous with social interactions and the fact that I spend ages thinking about what to say. I agree, it's not easy being yourself, but if you're happy being who you are, then why be anything else?

• Brohoof 1

In a broader perspective, I think if everyone who answers this thread tried to list in full detail how the show has changed their lives, then every single reply would end up containing more characters than there are atoms in them.

I've experienced the very typical brony development: slowly becoming a more generous, empathetic person, being far more willing to accept new ideals and opinions, wanting to better myself every day, receiving a figurative huge boot up the backside in the realisation that I can do whatever I want with my life and there are people out there, few and far between as they may be, that can help...

The list goes on in the aforementioned atomic fashion. It's an amazing show, and I think the biggest benefit the show has given to me is a deeper sense of inner peace. Sounds cheesy, but I really am much happier with myself and, as a result, it makes me want to give to others.

Basically Lauren Faust is best human. And the rest of the show's team is close behind.    

• Brohoof 1

Sadly the effect the show had on me was rather weak. I didn't really learn much new from the lessons in the show, but they were not in vain either - I got reminded of some quite serious aspects of those lessons which I had forgotten or didn't care too much about.

Rather how I moved in the fandom has affected me very much. I learned to never put too much effort and time into something on the internet if you are not having fun by doing so - as the people who see your work might misinterpret it and you end up with hate upon you for all the hard work you've done.

Anyway - at the end all became better than before and I am quite sure as far as real life relationships go it's a funny aspect of me that I like MLP and most people are very surprised at this as I do not look like someone who would be a fan of colorful ponies.

I would have to say that the lessons really are for children. I don't really expect the in-show lessons to effect teenagers/adults too much. [unless they live a very sheltered life like I did] The fandom is the real heart of it all. I normally get labeled easily when I bring up a MLP subject to someone who wants to know what I'm interested in. It's easier than it looks to explain why I like MLP... then again I'm not a guy. :x I don't think most people are optimistic though...

I can tell you that for a guy it's not that much harder, you just need to know your arguments. Girls love watching shows for boys and it's natural that boys love watching shows for girls too from time to time. Then there aren't any good shows for girls around - they all have the problems Lauren Faust stated in her post (not sure where anymore) - and she avoided those issues in MLP, that now all boys and men run to that one show because it doesn't outright "suck" is pretty obvious.

It did a bit for me. I used to watch porn during my free time when I was bored and didn't feel like playing games or watching a movie or something. Now I watch ponies and browse MLPF instead.

Still watch porn occasionally, but it's a hell of a lot less.

• Brohoof 1

Two threads regarding similar topic have been merged. Make certain to use the search function in the proper section if there is a chance of creating a duplicate topic. :)

Being honest, Ponies acted as several things to me. It acted as entertainment when I was bored or had nothing to do (Am I the only person that finds being tired makes the show more enjoyable?) It has also acted like an intervention at points. Before Ponies, I lived my life the same everyday. Now, I find my self more helpful and people turn to me with problems. Finally, it has acted as inspiration. I always wanted to create a game and at certain points in Series 1 and 2 (Pilots especially) I have thought of ways in which MLP could be turned into an RPG.

In all honesty, I used to be quite the depressed person (I still kind of am, but not as much) when I saw the first episode I felt like I would be the only guy who likes the show however, when I found out I wasn't, I was quite surprised. I have made quite a few friends here on the forums/elsewhere and honestly, it feels really good :)

While reading these stories, I was listening to some epic music that went really well with them.

Now then. I guess I can say that I have a renewed sense happiness. I have always had a positive outlook on life, even when things aren't going my way. But watching the show helps lifts my spirits to new places. The shows lessons are a good reminder for us who lose sight of them. The community is what really makes it worthwhile. Having people who will accept you for who you are is a wonderful thing. I have also been feeling better about myself and life in general. Thanks to songs made by the Brony community. Songs like Great to be Different. I have always been "different", but I always tried to conform when out in public to avoid ridicule, hate, embarrassment, and the like. That song is helping me to accept who I am (I have always accepted myself, but not completely). Who knows, one day I might just walk out my front door with a pony on my shirt. Thanks to MLP and the community, I feel renewed, refreshed, and happier than I have ever been. So much so, that I find it easier to control my anger. 

It's great to be different.

• Brohoof 1

It didn't really change my life. It's just another obsession that I have, along with DBZ, Zelda, etc.

I love how my brain works. Either I'm not interested at all about something, or I'm completely obsessed with it. No middle-ground whatsoever.  :P

Edited by Bardock

See everyone's responses makes me real happy to have joined something great.  I have almost come completely out of depression now since I first started this topic, I have met so many awesome people, heck I even met a bunch of bronies and pegasisters that live in Indy where I live.  It's even helped me open up, and heck I don't even care anymore who see's me buying merch, or who knows that I am a brony.  All my friends that aren't bronies accept me and still want to hang out.  Heheh, actually I might be converting a couple of them heheh.  I love all the responses that I have seen so far, and it is a miracle that I stumbled onto something so great.  I want to thank each and every one of you for enjoying this fandom like I am.

• Brohoof 3

for me i didn't notice the change at first. i was a closet brony and still am now. i was at work one day and i realized that stuff that normally frustrated me or pissed me off didn't effect me as much. i also noticed that my days which seemed boring and repetitive were now fun and interesting. even if i still got bored at times i can all ways go back and watch a couple episodes or listen to some of the fan music. it has made me happier and a nicer person without me even realizing it. i may still be a closet brony but im starting to come out and hopefully i can make some brony friends IRL. also joining the forms and communities have helped tremendously on the fact of coming out. so thx for every thing.

• Brohoof 2