145 users have voted

1. 1. Is Life Beautiful?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • It can be.
    • I don't know.
    • its alright.

floccinaunihilipilification floccinaunihilipilificated

woah, you be usin fancy words up in here. dictionary.com, here I go! I dont remember anyone saying floccinauippiic... FUCK... in a long time.

This is, perhaps, a very complicated question for me. Had you asked me a few months ago, I would have said life is beautiful and wondrous beyond imagination. But over time, I have grown bitter and cold, because that is what the world wanted me to become. I would imagine forums heavily accelerated this process, as well as being bombarded by the dreck spewed by one too many nihilists and atheists, who believe that life is just a ball of meaningless crap anyway (though I should not accept floccinaunihilipilification ordained from those who are what they are via being floccinaunihilipilificated themselves).

When I look back at things I wrote a mere 10 months ago, I saw the works of a person who saw nothing but glory and beauty in life, despite the endless pain and hardships he had gone through. But I have been worn down and dulled by the meaningless words of meaningless people. Ironic that atheists preached to me an existence of carefree nature and happiness, but they only made me realize how pathetic, worthless, and cold the world they preached was. They didn't convert me... they drove me to apathy.

I want to believe life has worth. I want to believe it is beautiful. I want to say that everything has a purpose and a reason. I want to believe these things because they are true. I want to believe them because I know the thing that nearly killed me was the lies of others. I want to believe them because with beauty in life, life has no reason.

So, to finish my complex answer... Yes, life is beautiful. You may have to dig beyond the lies and the crap people put out, but you realize eventually that bitterness and apathy aren't what life is about. Life is about something greater. It is about fighting through your pain and surviving your life, where something better awaits. Had I believed every lie I found, I would have stuck a knife in my head nine years ago. Nine years ago, beauty was taken from my life. And people kept ripping it away for years. But I found on... because I know there is something worth fighting for. Beauty is somewhere in life... somewhere... but it is certainly there.

that was awesome, man. :ph34r: . What do you mean 9 years ago, bueaty was taken from you? 5char 5char 5char

woah, you be usin fancy words up in here. dictionary.com, here I go! I dont remember anyone saying floccinauippiic... FUCK... in a long time.

that was awesome, man. :ph34r: . What do you mean 9 years ago, bueaty was taken from you? 5char 5char 5char

There is reason to believe that, five years ago, I may possibly have been raped by someone. Add that to 5 years after of horrible physical abuse, and you have a wondrous recipe for a sucky life. And all of this happened in SCHOOL.

(edited)

There is reason to believe that, five years ago, I may possibly have been raped by someone. Add that to 5 years after of horrible physical abuse, and you have a wondrous recipe for a sucky life. And all of this happened in SCHOOL.

Holy crap, im sorry I judged you earlier for having a rainbow dash avatar with skyrim. 5char 5char 5 Edited by Fanayvea

Holy crap, im sorry I judged you earlier for having a rainbow dash avatar with skyrim. 5char 5char 5

No idea why that would be something to judge me on. Again, only pic I have within the limits. It was either that or no avvy. And I can't draw well enough to make a new one.

• Brohoof 1

If you mean "life in general" as in our lives, absolutely. I went on a hiking trip a while back and this is my favorite picture: Posted Image

To me, that picture alone says life is beautiful. Yes there are a lot of parts wrong with life, but sometimes its the simple things that make life what it is.

You just have to take notice of it.

^ originally posted that, but after readin a bit it seems that I had the wrong aspect of life... anyhow...

Yes. Life is beautiful, as I said originally it's the simple things that make life what it is. Yes, there are times when people do bad things and ruin lives, but then there are also things that people do that bring back my faith in humanity, simply helping a stranger for nothing in return is a beautiful thing.

Edited by TOMahwk
  • Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

Life itself is a very beautiful and mysterious thing. It is what humans decide to do with it that makes it seem bad or corrupted. Something so precious, yet taken granted everyday...

The worst thing that you can do with your life is sit in a corner and wallow in self-pity. Life's too short to be miserable. Sure, it's your choice, but hey, why have life master you when you can master life? Then it becomes beautiful. Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.

I'll let Louis answer this one for me.

Sure, there may be some terrible things out there (quite a lot, actually blink.png), but I'm an optimist. I like to think that the good will inevitably outweigh the bad. It may not seem like it sometimes, but work hard enough, and it can be done.

So, while there's bad, there's also plenty of good. It just doesn't stand out as much in this day and age.

Bull! I wish even 10% of what you said would happen in my life. Pain, suffering and death is the meaning of life IMO. I wish guys like you would just shut up and admit that life is just a bunch of s---!

I love that "it can be" is the popular answer

I think life is beautiful...others don't. I think it is our perceptions that make it...as in one event could be viewed differently by many others.

So for me yes...for others...not always

Life is beautiful, it really is.

It's your life, live it on your own terms and do whatever makes you happy; but have compassion towards others because they are just trying to live as well.

"Live the change you wish to see"

I get through the day by appreciating every little privilledge I have. You are so fortunate to have internet access...

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I understood this thread correctly. Human lives or life in general?

I came into this thread thinking it'll be about the life, death, existence, and universe of every organism, not just human lives and universes. But, meh.

Life in itself is definitely beautiful. Animals, plants, the universe, etc., and the way everything operates together are amazingly beautiful. Even death is beautiful, in its own way, and is essential to life, as well. At least, how I see it.

Is human life and what humanity is and does beautiful? Yes and no. We've essentially ruined this planet and plan to ruin it more as well as other planets solely to advance our own species and make paths for other humans or beings with intelligence to further themselves, as well. All the while, constantly fighting and killing each other, spending time on trivial activities(e.g. posting pseudo-philosophical BS on a forum for an animated show about talking horses), and the like(because I can't think of a fitting third item). But, the anatomy of humans, rational thought, and our other uniquely human qualities and feats are all interesting and beautiful, in their own way, just as much as that of other organisms.

tl;dr - A bunch of pseudo-philosophical nonsense from a sleepy 14 year-old.

• Brohoof 1

Life can be beautiful, depending both on how you seize it and how you interpret it. We create our own lives, we should do the best we can to make sure our short time on this planet is used as best as we can, and we appreciate every moment.

• Brohoof 1

There is definitely much beauty to be found in life, but life's ugliness is so painfully present that it oftentimes becomes virtually impossible to ignore.

For me, life seems to be one big scale; for every philanthropic act that restores my faith in humanity, a token goes into the side of beauty. For every Columbine, Aurora, Newtown, Virginia Tech, Boston...an entire handful of tokens goes into the side of ugliness. For every hundred men who wish to spread love and tolerance, there is at least one who wishes to spread hatred and fear. For every light that shines - no matter how brightly - a shadow will always be cast, no matter how faint.

But I guess if I'm to stop being emo for a second and look at the glass as being half-full, maybe the fact that there's so much ugliness in the world only serves to make acts of beauty shine all the more brightly, like a candle in an otherwise pitch-black room; it may do a poor job of warding off the shadows, but it will light your way nonetheless.

...Sorry for being such a downer, everypony, I tend to get all wistful and soul-searchy when I stay up past my self-recommended bedtime. :P

Life is only as beutiful as you make it. In Charlie Chaplains movie the dictator he says (paraphrasing) "The people have the power to make this life free and beautiful; to make this life a wonderful adveture, where technology and progress can lead to all mans happiness." To me there are many, many, many, reasoms why life is womderful. We are living in a great time. More people than ever have the internet. We are on the verge of a massive paradigm change.

The bounds of human creativity are limitless there are many new ways to express that creativity through computers 3d printers.

There's music, painting, drawing, sculptre and infinitley more possibilities.

There are many womderful thimgs out there that we are lucky enough to experience so why not make the best and enjoy them? Sure there can be some negative things out there but it's important to look past them and not let them influence you.

(edited)

Edited by ____

Life can be beautiful. Human beings....we ruin a lot of things. Some of us are corrupt, evil, and really fuck up the lives of others. I thought life was always beautiful. I never experienced anything bad back before 2006. Life isn't always beautiful. There's a dark side, and this dark side can be horridly cruel and ugly. I witnessed my wife die in my arms. I didn't care about life after that. It turned ugly for me. All I saw was the hate everywhere. How human beings just fuck each other over all the time. We're almost all cruel pricks. Honestly, I became one of them. I did bad things, things that'd get me considered a monster. Hurt lots of people for two years after my wife passed away because I had a new personality. It wasn't me though. I became something else.

All I saw was the hatred in life. It wasn't beautiful for me anymore. It disgusted me, and then things just got worse after that. I nearly killed myself several times. I didn't want to be on this planet anymore. Eventually I snapped out of my intense anger, and realized what I became. I got a teaching job for several months but then I had to move to America. I found out for the first time in 2009 that my brother had two kinds of cancer. That killed me. How could life be beautiful for me anymore? I lost my wife to a murderer, and I could lose my older brother to cancer. He never did anything horrid to anyone. Why did he have to go through this? I asked myself that very often.

In America I met some close friends. I got really close to them. They comforted me to an extent. I got depressive about so much stuff. I couldn't stop thinking about the past. Tried to kill myself again. I was on the edge. It took some real friends though. I finally beat my depression this year. My brother beat both of his cancers, and my father died this year. I'm sad, but I have my old outlook on life again. With support from my true friends I realized that there was beauty still in this world, and in my life. I lost my wife, but I still had people who loved me.

I am not a extremely religious man, but I know that my wife is looking over me. I live in Alaska now. I walked outside my cabin and just looked at nature. It's beautiful. My life is seeing beauty again for the first time. My friends are all alive and well, though my closest friend was in a car accident...I'm taking care of him though. He's fine. I realize that people love me, and that life can still be beautiful. There's an ugly side to it. A really disgusting side to it, but life is still beautiful. You shouldn't give up hope. I almost did. I wouldn't be here if I gave up completely. I just want to thank my brother, my friends, this forums, the show (mainly you guys here though) and my Эмма for keeping me here. For helping me see the beauty and small amount of innocence that there is in life.

• Brohoof 1

Yes it is. Life is beautiful indeed. Yes, I am young and may not have so many experience in life, but I think I have enough to make me really feel alive. In fact, everything seemed like it was nothing, until two years ago. There were so many problems in this life. Economy, religions, mean schoolmates, having no friend, parents fights that ended when my father finally tried to kill my mother (failed though) and ran away.

I can't remember the exact time, but I think I was 13 years old that time. My family was broken apart. My younger sister was mentally troubled for some reasons, and my older sister was acting like a complete jerk. It was only my mother who remained. Then he married this guy, a police, whom later my mother discovered as a gambler. Yes, a police who gambles. After that, I tried to do everything to run my life just like the other children I met at school. Was it fun? I can't remember.

The point is, I entered the senior high and met some true friends there. One of them bought a Buddhist book about a life story of a Buddhist monk, which was funny and full of jokes. I still can't understand why my other friends didn't really get the meaning of those stories. It was very clear to me. The lesson, etc. I'm a Muslim, but I didn't really understand Islam. I wasn't so religious, and remain so until now. Everything was grim, and religion seemed just like an extra weight of life by frightening me with the imagination of heaven and hell. The story of that Buddhist monk opened my eyes of everything. It was pretty pure. It taught many things. The true happiness of life, unconditional mercy, true freedom, compassion, pure love, gratitude, etc and the most important, the lesson was served with the most reasonable reasons one could provide. It came purely from the heart.

After that I came back to Quran, read it and everything was clear. I didn't understand it before. It was just like a book with poetic words here and there. Then the whole teaching of Islam became really clear to me. I could understand it. Everything. There's no difference between people or religions. There's no reason to hate. There's no reason not to laugh and be happy.

Despite of that, I'm not so religious now, and some Muslim friends think I'm not respectful, but heck, I live with my heart as my guide. There's one simple guide I always follow.

You can't change the past, so there's no reason to worry about it. You can't predict the future, so there's no reason to worry about it. But you can do something now, in the present. You can't do anything to what have lost, so there's no reason to worry about it. You can't do anything to what you don't have yet, so there's no reason to worry about it. But you can do something to what you already have now, in the present.

I'm still in the same family now. My first father is still out there, constantly trying to contact me. Even though I have so many reasons to hate him, I have no reasons to sacrifice my happiness for hatred. I have some true friends now, and I better have fun with them instead of worrying about what I've lost in the past. They were the ones who encouraged me to move into computer programming by saying that I had a talent in it. I really enjoy it now, and I'm planning to work as a programmer in a company.

You can be happy, if you can think clearly with your heart, and see the reasons to be happy. :)

i don't like like my life because i have anxiety when i am in town i fell like someone is going to come up behind me and kill me but it happened when i sore two men fight while drunk i was young when it happened and the depression is because having my anxiety for to long and i don't tell many people about it. 

(edited)

Life may be a wonderful (but neutral, as we cannot choose) gift, because the science of it is awesome (Biology, yeah!) but humans certainly aren't, since we use it to taint everything that we touch rather than try to make things better.

Perhaps this is a skewed perspective, as I am a misanthropist, but when I was younger I was (like most children) an optimist. As I grew older I became more aware of my deep-rooted dislike for myself and for others. I was later "diagnosed" with DPD and depression due to several events in my past I do not discuss. This only furthered my realization that I couldn't ever become attached to anything. I just didn't care about anything anymore.

Look at me, rambling about my own problems. :lol: My point is I'm heavily biased to one side.

So all in all, perhaps my view is from one who suffered greatly. But I just cannot bring myself to care about anyone's life. It's all neutral to me. It just is. Emotions are chemical reactions; we're the only ones who attach meaning to them. :x

Edited by Morrigan Aensland

Life has its ups and downs, but generally I think its more beautiful than not.  There are many amazing things, both big and small, but sometimes people get busy or too wrapped up in whatever is going on in their lives and forget to notice them.  Much of this beauty lies in how we view things though.  In the past when I was more negative, I probably wouldn't have noticed as much beauty in life as I do now.  Having a more positive outlook helps me see the beauty more easily.

Still, even if someone is not in the best place in their life at the moment, there can be moments of beauty.  Going to the beach, playing/ listening to music and hanging out with friends are a few things that have always cheered me up, so I could say those are some of the beautiful moments life has to offer.  

Life, in the end, is a beautiful form of art that can have an affect on the rest of the human population. It's delicate and nearly all pain is self-inflicted by the brain. Life is the platform on which you make the journey from immaturity and no understanding to wisdom and appreciation... and the most you can hope for is to find someone to stand by you on that journey.

Well life screws everypony over at some point or another. I've tried to live life to it's fullest and I've got some advantages that other people don't like not having to work cuz of my disability and getting free money each month but I'm all alone...I wanna be with my gf so bad...but we live so far away and she appears to be losing interest in me...

(edited)

No. Life is a fucking mundane pile of sorrow and mediocrity. The only saving grace life has is entertainment. You get up everyday, you work to support yourself, you go to bed and do the same bloody thing every day. Life is a fucking boring-ass snore-fest and if I wasn't on anti-depressants I'd probably fucking kill myself because of how pointless life is. The only thing stopping is this: I have a mom who loves me, I have a job so I occasionally get to spend money on things I like: and I have 24 hour access to the internet, if all of these factors were to be removed I'd be seriously suicidal.

Edited by Guest