• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

(edited)

This is for the computer I'm in progress of building, Daedalus.

AMD Phenom II x4 3.4 GHz Quad Core

1TB HDD

8GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz

NVIDIA GTX 560 (Going to get two for SLI)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Edited by Mint Petal

I forgot my laptop so here's the one I'm currently building:

Intel Icore I5 3.1 GHZ.

8 gigglebytes of RAM

Nvidia GTX 560 (Though i'm only getting one)

Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit OEM.

And the rest isn't important.

Hello DeveloperPony!

We actually already have a mega-thread for system specifications. :D

I've merged your thread with the primary thread to keep the discussion centralized. I hope you don't mind. :)

• Brohoof 1

Oh.. and the OS is legit.. I SWEAR!

I used to work for a public school system several years ago, when Windows 7 was still in the release candidate phase, so we were still using XP. When I left I brought with me an ISO of a volume licensed copy, so activation is never necessary. Now I'm working for a university and can get pretty much every Microsoft product except Office for free, including Windows. Can't remember the last time I had to give Microsoft any money.

I use Linux as my primary OS anyway, even at work. I've been using OpenOffice/Libre Office for years at home and work; I even use Evolution for my email there instead of Outlook.

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, which is alright I guess. The only thing that's keeping me on Windows is the fact that most of my hardware isn't compatible with Linux.
I want to use Linux, but am torn between Macpup, Puppy Linux, Ubuntu, or Mint.
(plus I don't know how to install Macpup/puppy Linux Posted Image )

Edited by Wolveon

Well I currently am using Ubuntu 12.04, and plan on changing to Windows 7 sometime.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor4 GB RamOnboard graphics400 Watt PSUDVD/CD Drive500 GB Hard Drive.

Edited by Retro_Derpy

I am using windows XP, but just because im only 15 so i have ALWAYS used windows XP. it just feels natural, and when i try to use other systems it is harder. i know that XP isnt the best, but its sort of like if you are sword fighting and you are offered a better sword for an upcoming fight, but your old sword is the one youve always used and you can fight with it better even though it isnt as good as the new sword is better.

I am using windows XP, but just because im only 15 so i have ALWAYS used windows XP. it just feels natural, and when i try to use other systems it is harder. i know that XP isnt the best, but its sort of like if you are sword fighting and you are offered a better sword for an upcoming fight, but your old sword is the one youve always used and you can fight with it better even though it isnt as good as the new sword is better.

I know where you're coming from, I used XP for 8 years straight. But I do think it's a good idea to upgrade. If you can't afford Windows Vista/7/Mac (ew) I'd highly recommend Linux, since it's completely free.

Using Mac OS X Lion.... I've just upgraded my original macbook (Which i've had for over 5 years) to the macbook pro, Though in the future I will change to PC due to my love growing for PC gaming.

I'd highly recommend Linux, since it's completely free.

Linux is free?!? wow, i had heard that it is very good so i would expect it to cost money! I dont really know a lot about different operating systems or how much they cost because i havent really thought about using a different one. When i get a new laptop then i will probably upgrade it, but first i want to finish all my computer class's in high school, or at least the ones im taking this year, so that i can use it to be an awesome hacker before i crash it.

Uh... I'm on whatever iOS you use for iPads. Because this the only way I access this site since I don't have a personal computer or laptop. However, I do use leopard, mountain lion, and windows 7 on the computers I do use.

Linux for the most part. Using Linux Mint 13 with the KDE environment. I used Gnome until that got destroyed with version 3. Linux is wonderful. It does everything one could want of it except for some gaming, but there are workarounds to get plenty of games running decently on it.

I also use Windows 7, but that's strictly for Steam.

Whoops, looks like my topic was moved.

Linux for the most part. Using Linux Mint 13 with the KDE environment. I used Gnome until that got destroyed with version 3. Linux is wonderful. It does everything one could want of it except for some gaming, but there are workarounds to get plenty of games running decently on it.

I also use Windows 7, but that's strictly for Steam.

Yes, Linux is indeed wonderful. I'm going to be doing the same thing, but am having trouble getting my wireless card to install on Mint 13.

I have a few computers: two desktops and two laptops, but one laptop is broken and I need to replace a ton of parts. Anyhow, I use Windows 7 Pro x64 on my primary gaming PC then Windows XP Pro on the other desktop and my working laptop. I'm planning on dropping a Linux distro on my other laptop, but it'll be running an SSD so I'm not sure which one to run on it. I'll figure it out eventually though.

Here's what's in my main PC:

• Case: Lian Li Lancool PC-K65B
  • Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Performance (LGA 1155)
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10 gHz
  • CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Armageddon with Prolimatech Blue Vortex 140mm fan
  • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 (PC3-12800)
  • PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold @ 650W
  • Video: EVGA geForce GTX460 @ 1GB
  • SSD: Crucial M4 64GB
  • HDD1: Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
  • HDD2: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB
  • HDD3: Western Digital RE2 750GB
  • HDD4: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
  • Optical: LG CD/DVD Burner
  • Sound: Asus Xonar DS
  • Display: LG Flatron IPS236 (23"), ViewSonic VG920 (19")
  • Speakers: Dayton Audio 6 1/2" bookshelf speakers with Lepai LP-2020A+ amp
  • Keyboard: Microsoft Sidewinder X4
  • Mouse: Logitech M500

I have your basic desktop. I bought it when I arrived in Japan about a year ago. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 version, and I'll be honest, it got pretty ponified after I learned about the show and started watching. When I shut down, it plays Nightmare Moon saying, "You're kidding. You're kidding, right?"

I currently dual boot Kubuntu and Windows 7 on my desktop, although I rarely use Kubuntu.

And I have Chakra linux installed on my netbook.

• Brohoof 1

I'm planning on dropping a Linux distro on my other laptop, but it'll be running an SSD so I'm not sure which one to run on it. I'll figure it out eventually though.

Go with Linux Mint. It's an easy to use Debian derivative. If you're new to Linux I would recommend going with the KDE edition. KDE is the most "windows-like" of the many desktop environments and it's the prettiest.

I've played around with Ubuntu and a few other distros through my VM, but I'm not sure which one I really like yet. I've rather liked Ubuntu so far, even if it's not exactly like WIndows. I might not be a Linux pro but I'm not a computing noob either.

Erm, I've posted in here. Might as well post here again.

At the moment, my HDD is a clusterfuck of multiboot linux operating systems and one windows partition for gaming. I don't even use the memory on the Windows partition, I just mount my Fedora partition, which is my favorite of all the linux OS.

I think I have:

Windows

Fedora 17

OpenSUSE KDE

Crunchbang Linux -- Don't recommend this. Mostly for older computers.

I have an old hand-me-down desktop my cousin gave me for Christmas several years ago. It is a Windows XP, and it is pretty slow. I would like to get a laptop eventually, but I can't afford it right now.

How would you use a computer if everything goes to static when you get near it? How would ever use it? Do you just stare at a fuzzy screen all day? That being said, you must have had somepony else post this for you.

I have a custom built computer someone from one of the nearby colleges/universities made. It has a 3.16 ghz dual core cpu (I was told I could OC it to up to around 4 ghz) and it has a nvidia 9800 GT video card. I paid about $250 for it, and I got the money by selling a broken laptop to someone who owns a pc repair business for $50 and some old computers, and a couple flat screen monitors for $200 all together.

And as for my OS, I'm using Win 7 x64.

How would you use a computer if everything goes to static when you get near it? How would ever use it? Do you just stare at a fuzzy screen all day? That being said, you must have had somepony else post this for you.

Of course. I have minions all over the world ready to do my bidding. Cultists are tripping over themselves trying to please me. Yet for some strange reason, they all think that I want them to hang dead animals in bags from trees. It's kind of freaky. I need better minions.

(In real life, I finally got a nice laptop a couple of months ago. It is very nice. A bright, shiny new Windows 7 HP. I bought so many games from the last Steam sale.)

Edited by Slendermane
  • Brohoof 1

I use Windows Vista.

My computer's got a 600gb hard-drive and 4gb of RAM but because it's nearly 4 years old, it's getting slow and clunky.

It's a bit of a pain to use because I have to use memory intensive programs like Adobe Premiere on a regular basis.

I want to get a new and much faster computer, as well as an upgrade to Windows 7 at some point.

I use my Compaq Persario CQ57 laptop with the Windows 7 OS.

It actually has a lot of storage space in it, and it runs efficiently smooth. The downside is that the mouse pad is horrendous and I constantly need to use a wireless mouse to even use the dang thing lol.